Menu

Since we moved the desk to the "dining room" by a window, dh put up a bird feeder so we could watch the birds from the desk.   We've had chickadees, titmice, definitely lots of cardinals, sparrows, juncos and a few others.   I have to find a list of common local birds I printed a few years ago when we talked about the Great Backyard Bird Count with 4-H.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 192.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Daddy update:  Yesterday, the doctors decided to put in a trach and a feeding tube. He's been intubated for 7 days. The longest they can keep you intubated is 14 days. After that, the risk of infecti

Morning! The roads are still bad and my work told me not to come today. So I'm home and going to deal with the cleaning up today. It should be warm enough tonight for the chickens to spend the night in their house with their heat lamps on. I'm pretty happy about that. They sure are messy birds. 

Other than that, just hoping the sun sticks around for a while. But I think we have rain coming in tomorrow.

• Like 3

Speaking of allergy season, dh was taking Pup on a walk and his esophagus started closing up.  He thinks it was the toast he had for breakfast. He tends to have problems with 100% whole wheat.

Oh great - A Boo for Allergy Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

I met with my new personal trainer today.  I liked her even more than I thought that I would!  She's a pilates person and while pilates scares me, she was quite gentle.  She reminded me of what I imagine a ballet teacher might be like:  she focused on small moves done with precision.  She's really big on a strong core and since my core is a wet noodle that's a good thing for me to focus on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Y'all didn't remind me about my zoom mandolin class and I forgot about it!  JK.  Really, we were dealing with Teenaged Boy issues.  Sigh.  I woke up from a dream that we had to kick ds16 out of the house and I was crying because I knew he had nowhere to go and it's cold outside.  

The mandolin class is recorded so I can watch it any time.  Prolly shouldn't do it now - no one wants to hear mandolin practicing at 4am. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning!  

Slept late.  Early service and Sunday School were cancelled, so dh and dds18&14 will ride with ds25 to do music for 2nd and 3rd services.  The rest of us will do livestream.  The sun is out and it is already above freezing!

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!!!

Church!!!!

I tried three times to get on the Boards yesterday, to no avail. I don’t know what the deal is.

All you snow people are having an effect  on me. Lady night I dreamed it snowed here. And DH kept saying, “it’s just a heavy frost, honey” and I’m like, “no, it is snowing” and we all went outside and it was snowing. And I tried to get a picture but snow kept covering my phone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Morning.  Happy Sunday!

I did the thing suggested in one of the help posts that says to hit the button that says "Mark Site Read" and it will load better.  It worked for me.   I waited until I did my New Content reading for the day, then hit it. 

I have more than half my classes completely finalized, some until the end of the year.  Today I need to finish printing out handouts (I try to do a weekly handout of what we covered that day), finish doing the laundry, set up school for the kids, do some dishes, and maybe wipe down the bathroom.  My mom and older daughter are coming for dinner tonight since dh invited them.  

I made myself a digital planner using Powerpoint that I have as my opening page for Chrome on my computer and can access from my tablet with my other planning stuff (moved into google sheets and slides).  I think this could work.  I just figured out how to make it open to a specific page on my computer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One of the things I LOVED about the possible new site for the science center was that I could walk there easily.  It's about a mile and a half away and we've done that walk before.    Since we're not moving, it got me thinking about the possibility of walking to our current location.  It's farther (depending on route 3 1/2 to 5 miles) but still within the realm of reasonable.   Problem is, there are long stretches of narrow, winding roads with no sidewalks and often no shoulders.  And people drive like crazy around here plus there are bikers that are nuts, and if its something I want to do on a regular basis, I want it to be as safe as possible.  

I did find a route that would be safer.  There's a county park between home and the science center and there's a road that goes through.   That would mean sidewalks almost the entire way, a much less busy road through the park (although I may have to watch for bears), then just a short stretch with no sidewalk but a pretty large shoulder to walk on.   It's almost 4 miles but has some elevation going through the park (according to google up 197 feet in a fairly short time period) and some additional up hill on the return.  

So, I'm thinking once summer comes, I'll start working to build up to that walk.   My street is actually a really steep hill so even if I start with walking down my street, across a golf course, and out to the start of the county park I'll be dealing with a hill right from the start and can build up tolerance for that.  Then add additional distance as I build up.   

I've done 5K walks (which are 3.1 miles) so this is slightly longer than that and will probably take slightly less than 90 minutes to do it ( at a continuous but not fast pace).    When classes start again in the fall, I'm likely not starting teaching until the afternoon so even a couple days a week in nice weather I could walk.  

Not sure if this is a crazy idea or a brilliant one. 

Worse comes to worse if I get there and can't walk home, dh can pick me up on his way home from work.

• Like 6

Morning. NO. MORE. SNOW. I don't even want to see the word in a forecast for the next twelve months. 

Chickens moved out of my house back into their own yesterday as we are finally above freezing. No rooster crowing in my laundry room to wake me up in the mornings now, but as I'm still sleeping mostly on the couch now, tending the fire in the morning gets me up because it's cold. In a fit of spring fever, I picked out my pepper and tomato seeds to purchase. I may not get them all, but it was fun imagining that I would. 

• Like 4

Good Afternoon!

Happy Sunday!

i had a few things I needed to take care of before zooming to church this morning, so I didn't get here until now.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Juliet is on meds for her owie ears.  We call it "cheese time" because Babybel cheese features heavily in this new routine.  Juliet will sit quietly even for ear squirts if it is paired with cheese.  😉  But last night I discovered that cheese time is disrupted if dh is there.  Juliet knows that she has a sympathetic audience when he's there so she will put up a fuss.  Needless to say, we went back to having cheese time without dh this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet is on meds for her owie ears.  We call it "cheese time" because Babybel cheese features heavily in this new routine.  Juliet will sit quietly even for ear squirts if it is paired with cheese.  😉  But last night I discovered that cheese time is disrupted if dh is there.  Juliet knows that she has a sympathetic audience when he's there so she will put up a fuss.  Needless to say, we went back to having cheese time without dh this morning. 

Behold! The Magic of Cheese!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Church was good. Very convicting sermon. We took lunch to DH’s parents. Then to Baskin Robbins for a late Valentine’s treat from my parents. I love their ice cream.

What was the sermon about?  Ours was on Mark 6 - loaves and fishes.  My primary note was "In love, God continues to put us in situations where we are over our heads so that we will learn to come to Him and lay our burdens at His feet."

What kind of ice cream did you get?  Did they have jamoca almond fudge? ❤️

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

What was the sermon about?  Ours was on Mark 6 - loaves and fishes.  My primary note was "In love, God continues to put us in situations where we are over our heads so that we will learn to come to Him and lay our burdens at His feet."

What kind of ice cream did you get?  Did they have jamoca almond fudge? ❤️

The sermon series is on the book of Nehemiah. They were rebuilding the wall. Our church is going through a bit of a “rebuilding” of its own, having had some struggles. So, today was on Nehemiah ch. 5, how the Jews’ own selfishness became detrimental to their work and their unity, and so we need to look at ourselves and how we treat others in the church and how it doesn’t matter how good our programs are or how nice our campus is, but rather how we show love to each other. It was a good sermon and very convicting.

my ice cream was Love Potion #31, which had chocolate and raspberry swirls and was delicious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning.  Happy Sunday!

I made myself a digital planner using Powerpoint that I have as my opening page for Chrome on my computer and can access from my tablet with my other planning stuff (moved into google sheets and slides).  I think this could work.  I just figured out how to make it open to a specific page on my computer.

I'd be interested in knowing how you did this.

• Like 2

Coffee time....  when you think you're typing, but nothing shows up and then you realize you were just hitting the space bar.  Definitely in need of coffee.  I missed all the weekend fun - BASKIN ROBBINS - the best! 

Happy Monday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, Renai said:

I'd be interested in knowing how you did this.

I made the file in Powerpoint with the pages I wanted, tabs that have links to other months, etc.   Basically I got ideas from the many many digital planners available and made the file in Powerpoint.  

I uploaded it into Google Slides.   Copied the web address when the file is open and, in Chrome under Settings there's an option for "On Startup" and "Open a Specific Page or Set of Pages".  It's all the way at the bottom of the first page in settings for me - You and Google.   That sets it to whatever page it was on when I copied the web address but the last characters are p and a number.  That's the page it will open up to.   

I'm going to set the page at the beginning of each week to the weekly summary and then I'll just have to move a few pages to look at a specific day.

I have a monthly calendar, then a weekly summary page, then detailed daily pages for that week.  Figured since it was digital it didn't matter if it was a huge number of pages (plus I could just copy slides for the most part).   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Morning.  It's a super Monday around here.  A week off does not make getting up an easier.   But it's my last week off until Memorial Day so I guess that won't be a problem for a while.  

We are supposed to get snow again today but just a couple inches before it turns to rain so classes are on.    I have all teenagers today which makes Mondays among my favorite days.  

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I slept well and I've started tackling my to-do list (before it's actually officially written -- I forgot to write out my "assignments" last night.

Hope y'all have a good day!

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I have all teenagers today which makes Mondays among my favorite days.  

I have mostly teenagers today.  Dd12 had her birthday, and is now 13.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!L~D

Monday. We have another Monday off. Don’t know why, but I’m taking it.  I have a list of odds and ends to get done today. I have a PowerPoint I need to make. A coworker and I are doing a book club on the book “Snow Treasure” by Marie McSwigan. It’s an awesome book, but it needs a little back information, specifically on the Nazis and German aggression, so I need to get that done. We are going to try to model the club after “Deconstructing Penguins”, which I think is such a cool book, but even between the two of us, we are struggling with determining the protagonist.  Their definition of a protagonist is “the person who is pushing the action forward” and the antagonist is the person “pushing back”, and where they interface is the conflict. And while that may seem fairly straightforward, it isn’t. The protagonist is not necessarily the good guy.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning! It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

I am at a dr. appt with dd18. She probably needs to get her iron checked. We made it out of the neighborhood OK. 

Coffee!

I LOVE ME SOME MONDAY!!!!! ::partypartypartyparty::

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I ended up going back to the dr. office after dd18's appointment because they had a bunch of cancellations today and so fit in dd14 to make up for her appointment that was cancelled last week due to snowpocalypse.  We really like our new PCP. 

• Like 5

I should have had another Monday off.  Our 1 to 3 inches of snow then turning to rain ended up being about 8 inches of snow.   For some reason (the surprise?), the plows/salt trucks were not out.  dh sent me a text that he almost slide off the road going over a hill in our neighborhood.  He drives a Suburban so not something that tends to slide easily.   I took the long way home to avoid that hill.  It took me about 30 minutes for a 5 mile ride home because the roads were so bad.  

• Sad 5
3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

He's taking Russian with a German Shepherd? 

Tangent:  one of the dogs at agility responds to commands in Swiss German. 

I had a rescue that spoke Spanish. Did you see the story about the macaw that went missing for 2 years and came home speaking Spanish? Such worldly animals.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

I made the file in Powerpoint with the pages I wanted, tabs that have links to other months, etc.   Basically I got ideas from the many many digital planners available and made the file in Powerpoint.  

I uploaded it into Google Slides.   Copied the web address when the file is open and, in Chrome under Settings there's an option for "On Startup" and "Open a Specific Page or Set of Pages".  It's all the way at the bottom of the first page in settings for me - You and Google.   That sets it to whatever page it was on when I copied the web address but the last characters are p and a number.  That's the page it will open up to.   

I'm going to set the page at the beginning of each week to the weekly summary and then I'll just have to move a few pages to look at a specific day.

I have a monthly calendar, then a weekly summary page, then detailed daily pages for that week.  Figured since it was digital it didn't matter if it was a huge number of pages (plus I could just copy slides for the most part).   

Do you have a screenshot or two?

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I had a rescue that spoke Spanish. Did you see the story about the macaw that went missing for 2 years and came home speaking Spanish? Such worldly animals.

All our animals respond to Spanish. Gitana, the one who died last fall, was the only one that only responded to Spanish. The others are pretty bilingual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Do you have a screenshot or two?

All our animals respond to Spanish. Gitana, the one who died last fall, was the only one that only responded to Spanish. The others are pretty bilingual.

Only Spanish? So you had one racist cat?

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Junie said:

I have mostly teenagers today.  Dd12 had her birthday, and is now 13.  

Happy Nirthday! 🎉

20 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dd18 got a college acceptance email this morning.  She is so excited!

Congratulations!  🎉

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Remind me to go to the county food bank/thrift store in the morning!  

Go, Susan, go!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1