Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So the thing about a pandemic for someone with chronic illness is that finally everyone else has the kind of life that I have normally.  It's actually done wonders for my social life because people are now available and happy to talk to me on the telephone.

The pandemic hasn't really done wonders for my social life, but I agree that this is what life with a chronic illness feels like.  I hope when things get back to normalish people will have a greater appreciation for what it's like to not have full mobility.

I know that when I developed arthritis I developed empathy for the elderly.  During this pandemic I have developed more empathy for those who are in nursing homes or other situations where going out is nearly impossible.

• Like 4

👋 Hi. I spent the morning decluttering & took a trunkload to Goodwill. The dining room is much improved.

When I have a good day once in a while, I tend to think Oh, this medicine is working. But it usually doesn't happen two days in a row, so IDK. I have lots of work to do around the house if/when I can.

• Like 6

So...  went to regular post office in city closest to me (long involved story about why the US Govt refuses to put a post office in our city). The counter was closed and the kiosk wouldn’t accept my package. Drove to next post office that was marked as open- ten miles away. Only stupid gps said that the post office was in the mall- which I knew was wrong. Drove around and around until I found it myself and the stupid gps still told me to turn the other way. Ignored the gps and got in a very long line 25 minutes before closing. Managed to get the pkg mailed at an exorbitant price because I had a binder in with the books. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

We had a good day. We went to Kolob Canyon, which is part of Zion National Park, but north-west. We did a nice hike. It was just beautiful. The we went back to the main park and did this other hike. Well, I started it, but it was steep and on the side of a mountain and I got dizzy and had a severe fright that about paralyzed me, so I turned around and went back and sat by the River and enjoyed the sounds of the River and the colors of the sky and the canyon walls and it was very nice. My family finished the hike. DD got reprimanded on the hike by a complete stranger for not wearing her mask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I worked. I scheduled. I called a meeting of the offspring and explained the schedule changes and new materials. So now they can snap and snip, but they can't say I didn't tell them what would be going on. So there. 

Now I'm going to try to get some writing done although technically, I don't schedule writing on Saturday because of all the other things going on.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We had a good day. We went to Kolob Canyon, which is part of Zion National Park, but north-west. We did a nice hike. It was just beautiful. The we went back to the main park and did this other hike. Well, I started it, but it was steep and on the side of a mountain and I got dizzy and had a severe fright that about paralyzed me, so I turned around and went back and sat by the River and enjoyed the sounds of the River and the colors of the sky and the canyon walls and it was very nice. My family finished the hike. DD got reprimanded on the hike by a complete stranger for not wearing her mask.

That's stupid.  The CDC says you only need to wear a mask outdoors if you can't maintain a distance of 6 feet from people in your family group.  It's my understanding that the NPS follows that recommendation for trails.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

It sounds like a lovely trip anyway - I'm so glad you were able to go!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Finished Xena’s lower body resistance training exercises. These new exercises have a real fall risk and I came “this close “ to killing myself. But I didn’t. 

#Xenastrong

Good job following the rules, Xena!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Junie said:

(((Ellie)))  Praying for a complete and quick recovery!  Bone spurs sound painful.

TYVM.

Happily, the bone spur was not painful (it was on my actual heel, you know, where the Achilles tendon is), and I wanted to take care of it while that was the case.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

That's stupid.  The CDC says you only need to wear a mask outdoors if you can't maintain a distance of 6 feet from people in your family group.  It's my understanding that the NPS follows that recommendation for trails.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.

It sounds like a lovely trip anyway - I'm so glad you were able to go!

We always carry ours when we are out hiking where there's a strong possibility we may meet someone on the trails (like the Buffalo). But I've never had anyone fuss about us wearing them or not wearing them. We have had several fun moments where we faced down another family on the path and we all stood well back from each other, donned our masks, and then proceeded, usually with waves and telling each other to stay safe. 

• Like 3

It's afternoon but I still want to say "Morning!".    I'm still drinking my tea.  Not because I got up so late.  I was up at 6:30, went and met dd for yoga, came home, showered, ran out to BJs with dh, stopped to drop stuff at the science center, then came home.   So a really late "breakfast" today. 

I think I have tendonitis in my elbow.   It hurts if it's held in one position too long, if I try to lift things a certain way, and when I move it.   I'm trying to rest it and watch how I sleep (I tend to sleep with that arm bent and the hand under my pillow.  

• Like 2

I prepared and FoodSavered 4 herb butter chicken with sweet onions and 4 honey mustard chicken with carrots sheet pan dinners and cleaned up the mess and Cloroxed the counters and fridge and washed a bunch of dishes by hand and got the 25lb turkey and gallon of turkey broth out of the freezer and into the fridge.  Now sitting on the sofa trying not to think about the things that I should be doing but don't wanna.

Would y'all shun me if I quit reading my current book (Bill Bryson's One Summer, America, 1927) and started on my first reading challenge book?  I can't read more than one book at a time.  (I will probably go back to the Bryson because it's interesting.)  I got a reading journal and everything, just like Krissi.  

#copycat

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I prepared and FoodSavered 4 herb butter chicken with sweet onions and 4 honey mustard chicken with carrots sheet pan dinners and cleaned up the mess and Cloroxed the counters and fridge and washed a bunch of dishes by hand and got the 25lb turkey and gallon of turkey broth out of the freezer and into the fridge.  Now sitting on the sofa trying not to think about the things that I should be doing but don't wanna.

Would y'all shun me if I quit reading my current book (Bill Bryson's One Summer, America, 1927) and started on my first reading challenge book?  I can't read more than one book at a time.  (I will probably go back to the Bryson because it's interesting.)  I got a reading journal and everything, just like Krissi.  

#copycat

Yay! You will love your reading journal. You do need to start the first book on your reading challenge. I am loving my first book. It’s a real life spy story from WWII. I love spy stories.

”A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II” by Sonia Purcell. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Yay! You will love your reading journal. You do need to start the first book on your reading challenge. I am loving my first book. It’s a real life spy story from WWII. I love spy stories.

”A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II” by Sonia Purcell. 

I reserved this book from the library, but there's a wait-list, so I'm going to start with Gentle and Lowly.

• Like 3

Morning.  Back to class today.  It's going to be a rough one.  I didn't sleep well again, maybe due to having my tea at noon?   Lucky for me Mondays are pretty easy.

I did reading challenges a few years in a row but now I just read whatever I feel like whenever.  I tend to read light and fluffy now since it's usually as I grab a few minutes in between other things.  Heavier, harder books I feel like I need a bigger chunk of time in order to get anything out of them.

I do think I'm going to read Terry Pratchett Discworld series.   Somehow I seem to have not ever read it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I reserved this book from the library, but there's a wait-list, so I'm going to start with Gentle and Lowly.

I have “Gentle and Lowly” on my nightstand. I decided I am going to try to stop reading like 3 books at the same time. I have 100 pages to go on the spy book and then I will start “Gentle and Lowly”.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning.  Back to class today.  It's going to be a rough one.  I didn't sleep well again, maybe due to having my tea at noon?   Lucky for me Mondays are pretty easy.

I did reading challenges a few years in a row but now I just read whatever I feel like whenever.  I tend to read light and fluffy now since it's usually as I grab a few minutes in between other things.  Heavier, harder books I feel like I need a bigger chunk of time in order to get anything out of them.

I do think I'm going to read Terry Pratchett Discworld series.   Somehow I seem to have not ever read it.

I'll read Discworld with you!

• Like 2

I'm up and painting, getting chores done, and listening for yodels and yowls from the kitchen as the children tackle new stuff. So far the only fuss was over the Latin translation. Mom! It has no answer key!

That's right, dear heart. When you translate it, you'll have a story you'll understand.

Much grumbling.

Got a ton to do today!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I ran to the bank and the post office.  I went to Krogers instead of the AFSA because that's where the bank is.  I glanced at sweatshirts at Krogers....  they have a much difference business model than the AFSA, lol.  If I'm looking at clothes at a grocery store, I want them cheap, not stylish.  The sweatshirts were 3x as much as they were at the AFSA.  But maybe it serves me right, because the zipper has broken on some of my old ones.  Meh.  I will go to AFSA again eventually, but not today.  

• Like 2

Extremely bad night as I forgot my bedtime meds and woke up at 2 am with massive electrical activity (nerve tingling and zapping) in my body.  Took meds at 2 am but couldn't get back to sleep for a long time.

Woke up, called roofing company while I was slowly starting on morning wake up stuff.  They said that they would "send someone over".  Well, apparently they already had, because only two minutes later the doorbell rang!  And I was still in unpresentable jammies and my futon was still spread out on the floor where the leak was!  I was yelling "I'll be right there!" while I hurriedly threw on pantz, a baggy sweatshirt and quick threw my bed out of the way, and scrambled to find a mask.

But the roofing repair guy, despite having a huge language barrier was able to tell me that the initial roofers had forgotten to do one spot correctly and that he fixed it.  At least I think that's what he said along with the pictures he showed me. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I ran to the bank and the post office.  I went to Krogers instead of the AFSA because that's where the bank is.  I glanced at sweatshirts at Krogers....  they have a much difference business model than the AFSA, lol.  If I'm looking at clothes at a grocery store, I want them cheap, not stylish.  The sweatshirts were 3x as much as they were at the AFSA.  But maybe it serves me right, because the zipper has broken on some of my old ones.  Meh.  I will go to AFSA again eventually, but not today.  

You reminded me I was supposed to buy a hoody so my mother can embroider it as part of my Christmas present.  She bought one but it was too small and instead of returning it decided to just give it to dd.   I'm not going into a store if I don't have to so I just ordered one from Target.  She's embroidering a design that says "Bibliophile" with a pile of books and a tea cup.  

Classes weren't too bad today but I am really really tired.  I am avoiding any chocolate this evening so hopefully when I go to bed I'll sleep well.   I have four classes tomorrow since I have one kid coming to a drop-in/make-up class.  

• Like 4

I struggled mightily to have the will to get out of bed this morning.  But I did, eventually, and life doesn't seem quite so hopeless, though I went back to AFSA around lunchtime, so it was touch-and-go for a bit! 😂

Took dog on a long walk and made 3 gallons of tortellini soup - 1 gallon vegetarian and 2 gallons with Italian sausage.  Guess what we're having for dinner?!? 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1