Menu

Ignore this thread!

I am trying to decide if this is the year that I will finally attempt to make my Grammie's peanut butter fudge.

I hate cooking and baking, but her fudge is so, so good and I haven't had any in many years. (The fudge is gluten free, but Grammie's kitchen is most definitely not.  And getting her to understand cross contamination is not going to happen.)

However, I'm not even sure the recipe will work.  She has said that sometimes it doesn't set, depending on the weather.  I think that I might have to wait until we're not expecting rain.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2020 at 9:13 PM, Junie said:

Ds20 is having a hard time adjusting to a normal sleep schedule.  He worked midnight to 8 am for the last month.

I remember the graveyard shift when I worked at the juvenile prison. That was 20 years ago. I still sometimes get a second wind around 10pm and want to stay up. Then I come to my senses and remember how much my body actually likes to sleep between 10pm and 6am. How I tortured myself for three years doing ESL at 5am (sometimes starting at 4am) is beyond me...

On 12/21/2020 at 4:38 PM, Junie said:

You don't say y'all in real life?  I'm gobsmacked.

I converted to y'all pretty easily when I went to college in the South.  My brother called it a four-letter word.  It has been a very long time since I've used the Pennsylvania second person plural of yous guys (or yous).

I do, periodically. I don't think it became common in my vocabulary until after I left the south though, but maybe I was just more conscious of it. I use it when I'm teaching Spanish, periodically, when I switch to English. Like Krissi said, it is the direct translation of 2nd person plural (ustedes) in Spanish. 😄 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Junie said:

I am trying to decide if this is the year that I will finally attempt to make my Grammie's peanut butter fudge.

I hate cooking and baking, but her fudge is so, so good and I haven't had any in many years. (The fudge is gluten free, but Grammie's kitchen is most definitely not.  And getting her to understand cross contamination is not going to happen.)

However, I'm not even sure the recipe will work.  She has said that sometimes it doesn't set, depending on the weather.  I think that I might have to wait until we're not expecting rain.

Is it a family secret, or can you share the recipe?

3 hours ago, Renai said:

On another note, what would go good with ribeye steak (with black olive vinaigrette) and orzo pasta with fontina? 

Peanut Butter Fudge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Renai said:

On another note, what would go good with ribeye steak (with black olive vinaigrette) and orzo pasta with fontina? Remember I did this same dinner a couple of years ago?  Recipes below.

https://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/22033581/

https://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/22033604/

Fresh green beans with bacon and sautéed mushrooms.

• Like 4

Good morning!  Happy Christmas Eve!

It's Zero degrees outside, but it feels like -21, according to the weather gurus. .  I brought puppy out to pee, but did not take him on his morning constitutional.

It's very quiet, but I suspect that I'll start hearing people move about pretty soon.  I need to drink more water.  Very dry here.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning.   It's Christmas Eve!   

Dh is on his way home with his mom.  We're heading over to my mom's for dinner tonight.  Dh is cooking but mom has more space.  Even though it's just us, MIL, mom that's more than my house can handle easily. 

My front loading washer is filling up with water when it's turned off.   Totally weird but evidently a thing according to google.  Google said it could be a clogged outtake (or something like that) and first time it did it I was washing coats so bulky and cold water so I thought that might be part of the problem.  We have very hard water and no softener at the moment since we are putting in a new system.   It happened after dh went to bed last night so I tried running a towel through with hottest water and vinegar and it worked, in that the washer drained during the course of that load.   But then it filled up overnight.  I'm running another hot water load to drain it (I did not enjoying bailing it out last night) and then I'm shutting the water off.   

As dh says, the fun never ends.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Our Christmas is usually pretty low key, so this year won't seem much different than most.  We have sometimes gotten together with my family for Christmas, but in recent years we have celebrated on a day other than Christmas.  So not having extended family here for Christmas won't seem that strange.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have no words.

It's -2 now.  Got colder after the sun came up?

They were talking about walking to the School Hill, but I told them they have to play and go sledding on the hill in the back yard.  Too cold for galavanting about.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Merry Christmas Eve!!!

Susan, “feels like -21 degrees” is just waaaay too cold. But have fun! Your family has me singing that song “Oh there’s no place like home for the holidays”.

I’m just gonna clean house today. No more baking. I’m hoping DH feels comfortable enough to go to the Christmas Eve Service at church. We’ll have tamales tonight when we get home.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Junie said:

Regarding Christmas cards:

Better late than never is a thing, right?

Oh yes. Definitely.

And that’s a Better Late Than Never Christmas Card Booya/h. It’s a sign, Junie. It means you must do it.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess I should get up and do something constructive. Like clean the house. Tell me not to bake cookies. I’ve made plenty. I really need to relax and take it easy. Still waiting on test results for this UTI. My doctor had me get a culture, which takes three days.I am assuming it is to see what kind of antibiotic to give me, and I’m not dying or anything, but I don’t feel good. DH keeps telling me to call the doctor, but... I am trusting my doctor. She’s good, not part of any big practice or anything. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Oddly enough, it will probably clear out after the holidays. I don't much like the time between Thanksgiving and New Year. It has always felt stressful to me, and I'm willing to be a lot of it is feeling like my normal is too disrupted.

Amen!  I don't like having normal messed with either.  And if it is, it should be a truly restful break, not a crazy holiday.  (Though honestly, I try to keep it as low-key as possible.... but still....that requires decision making, guilt avoidance, and all kinds of other things.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I guess I should get up and do something constructive. Like clean the house. Tell me not to bake cookies. I’ve made plenty. I really need to relax and take it easy. Still waiting on test results for this UTI. My doctor had me get a culture, which takes three days.I am assuming it is to see what kind of antibiotic to give me, and I’m not dying or anything, but I don’t feel good. DH keeps telling me to call the doctor, but... I am trusting my doctor. She’s good, not part of any big practice or anything. 

Even if she's good, she may have put it out of mind waiting to hear from the lab.  A phone call might alert her to double checking on the lab.  At least it wouldn't hurt....  and better today than tomorrow....  

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Amen!  I don't like having normal messed with either.  And if it is, it should be a truly restful break, not a crazy holiday.  (Though honestly, I try to keep it as low-key as possible.... but still....that requires decision making, guilt avoidance, and all kinds of other things.)

Truth!

I generally try to be super flexible, but the holidays require the kind of backbends that make me sore all over.

• Like 3