Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 hours ago, ikslo said:

Thinking on this more: imma and wanna don’t bother me, and my spellcheck now accepts both.  I wonder why I have such a reaction to cuppa?  I’ve only ever encountered it in TWTM forums. I really don’t like it. Maybe because it is used by itself, as a thing, rather than just a shortened way to say “cup of X”?  Everyone leaves off what the X is. Maybe I’m bothered by that. Huh. 

Cuppa booyah for y’all

For those of us who grew up on British lit, it's short for a "cuppa tea". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Teddy Roosevelt quote that I really like:  “Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining”. 

That's quite similar to what I sometimes say: If you have the vision to complain about it, must mean you want to fix it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ikslo said:

Is that all?  Kind of disappointing.

I like it because it's a palindrome number.  

Things have been done.  More things to do.  Pup seems to have developed something that might be kennel cough.  We were able to get an appointment at the vet for 4:00 - they squeezed us in since we are heading out of town.

COFFEE!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Guess I never noticed it in the British Lit I’ve read.  Now I’m not sure I want to read more! 🤣

50 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think that it's probably mostly in British mystery cozies - not necessarily the great works of British Literature!

I have an Australian friend and a college roommate now in London who say it and it sounds completely normal coming from them. 😁  Coming from me it sounds ridiculous.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

You know, I don't like it either.  It just came out in the post.  I don't think I have actually spoken the word, ever.  It's like "y'all" - I type it in posts a lot but don't actually say it.

You don't say y'all in real life?  I'm gobsmacked.

I converted to y'all pretty easily when I went to college in the South.  My brother called it a four-letter word.  It has been a very long time since I've used the Pennsylvania second person plural of yous guys (or yous).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

It is too foggy to go out and see the Christmas Star thingie. But people have been posting about it all over FB. A lot of people drove up to the foothills above the fog.

We had a Texas Sized Gully Washer tonight.  The lights flickered and went out elsewhere but fortunately not here.  Though our internet did go out for awhile.  So no going outside to see the stars/planets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

It is too foggy to go out and see the Christmas Star thingie. But people have been posting about it all over FB. A lot of people drove up to the foothills above the fog.

We saw it from our neighborhood.  Dh went to the ball fields to get a photo and said he could see the two planets distinctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

Gotta get moving!  Breakfast is ready!  Leaving in 45 minutes with a bit of luck and a good deal of hustle.  

Coffee!

————-

COFFEE!!

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me).  

KrissiK Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday! (I think.)

I'm sending dh to the post office with Christmas packages.  I don't think any of them will get to their destination by Christmas, but considering no one knows these packages are even coming, it will be a nice surprise even if it's after Christmas.

Dear niece's package is still waiting on a few items.  But her birthday is in January, so if she doesn't get her package in time for Christmas (at this point I don't think it's possible) she can open all of her gifts for her birthday.

• Like 4

Morning.   Today is more cleaning, wrapping presents (I think), maybe going to the grocery store for dh.  He has an important project he's doing at work, needs to pick up groceries to make lasagna and sh*t on a shingle, premake as much as he can, and wrap gifts because he's heading down to pick up his mom tomorrow as soon as he gets off work.   I offered to go grocery shopping for him but he hasn't answered yet.  I may not be able to since he may need special stuff I don't know how to pick.  

I slept in again today.   dd asked that we skip yoga this week because she's having a very busy week (not a surprise, she works at a store).  I should really still get up and do it myself but I'm not feeling overly motivated.   I do plan to do more workouts on my own starting next week, for the days we don't meet. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Junie said:

You don't say y'all in real life?  I'm gobsmacked.

I converted to y'all pretty easily when I went to college in the South.  My brother called it a four-letter word.  It has been a very long time since I've used the Pennsylvania second person plural of yous guys (or yous).

I’m 100% sure there are more Pennsylvanian speech quirks that bother me than British ones.  And yet I married a man from PA. 🤣

I didn’t think I said y’all, but I was called out for saying it by a coworker the other day on a Teams call.  Oops. I blamed y’all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!L~D

Tuesday!!!

I’m running to the Big City in the South with my mom today. Stopping at Target and running a few other errands. 

I also need to finish baking the cookies I have chilling in the fridge from yesterday.

I don’t say y’all. Californians who say “y’all” just sound like they’re trying to be someone they’re not. I love that word and I do use it in Latin because we were taught that it’s the closest thing English has to second person plural, but I don’t use it in my every day speaking language. (Though I like to use it on ITT)Californians use the word “dude”, which is an all purpose word that is suitable and appropriate for any situation you might find yourself in.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ds20 sent me a message at 6 am that he was going to be sleeping in because he hadn't gotten to sleep yet. 😞  He did say, though, that he spent the time in the middle of the night working on his class that he is taking over the winter break.  So at least he used the time wisely. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I went shopping for dh.  I really should have offered last night and then I could have gotten up first thing in the morning and gone like I did yesterday.  It was crazy busy.  I still was in and out in less than an hour.  Our stores are doing really well with distancing and getting everybody out as quick as possible.  

There were a few things I couldn't get so he'll still have to stop really quick on his way home from work. 

• Like 3

So, we aren't getting more snow for Christmas.  Instead we are getting heavy rain that's going to melt all the snow that's everywhere, causing flooding.  Then we're going to get high winds and a sudden freeze so it will all turn to ice.  Whoopie.  😕

I wrapped gifts (I really am the worst wrapper ever) and mailed my dad their calendar. 

I've been calling my dad about every other week and haven't heard back from them since September, when I told my stepmom I can't bring him to doctor's appointments except with advance notice and only during certain hours since I was back to teaching classes.  She suggested I get a substitute teacher.  🙄   Back in the Summer, she asked me to take him to a very important appointment, with about an hour notice.  They live 45 minutes from me and the appointment was 30 minutes back in my direction.   Then it turned out it wasn't that important, or evidently needed at all.   Plus since I had no medical history, no authorization, no background at all, I couldn't answer any of the questions that were asked.  

I'm not sure we would have seen them anyway.   The past few years we only meet up at restaurants since I'm highly allergic to their entire house and get asthma attacks if I spend any time there, and we live pretty far from them, but we're not going out to restaurants right now.  But it would be nice to at least talk to them.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

We are staying over night in Iowa. No snow yet, but after we get to my parent’s house we may get 2-4 inches! 🎉

Chester did really well on the drive. We stopped every couple hours for one reason or another and gave him a bit of exercise. He likes taking his medicine smooshed into a bit of cheese. 

• Like 2

Good morning!! It’s Christmas Eve Eve!

We caved and let the puppy sleep out of his crate to avoid barking and whining in the middle of the night and he didn’t make a peep all night.  

Gotta get packed up and eat breakfast and get back on the road. 

Have a loverly day!

Hotel Coffee!  (I’ll grab an extra cup for you, Lynn)

• Like 6

Morning.   Dh is heading down to pick up his mom this afternoon.  He'll drive down, spend the night then head back in the morning.   I need to finish cleaning the house.   I need to run by the science center and put in the extended feeder for the fish and feed the turtle.  We're supposed to get bad weather so I'd rather not have to go out the next two days.  

• Like 5