Menu

What's with the ads?

The school I attended did

• Alegbra 1
  • Geometry
  • Algebra 2
  • Algebra 3/Trigonometry
  • Calculus.

I took geometry and Alg2 the same year. I think trig in high school is helpful, but statistics might be, too.

Oh hey, a mathy booyah. 🔢

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Slache said:

PARADOX! Where are you? I'm tired!

I'm leaving the door unlocked. Help yourself to the ice cream. Don't wake the kids!

Sorry! I had kids climbing on me until past 2am. Captain woke up around midnight! 

11 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I got a huge check from the mortgage company. Those people are idiots. About 10 months ago they raise our mortgage payment significantly because they say our taxes went up. Blah blah blah. And now we get a refund because we paid too much in taxes.

Put it in savings in case they pull the same trick this year.

I hear the Februaries creeping in. My take: all of you are doing fine! ALL, Renai! Look at the plus side of what your kids have learned. Quality over quantity. Time spent relationship building. Language acquisition.

Scotsman tells me when I get upset to go down the checklist.

1- They can read.

2- They can communicate.

3- They know basic math.

4- They are GOOD people!

5- They know how to learn.

6- They know how to set goals and work for them.

This helps put things into perspective for me. Doesn’t mean I slack off, but gives me space to say, “Ok, we aren’t doing so bad. We can make changes.” We can try again.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Slache- I’m going to the Homeschool Store tomorrow. I can see if he has the book you need. Pm me.

• Like 2

And now I really need to get a move on. Shower, more laundry, more cleaning. Since the cupboards are pretty bare, better AFSA/Costco. And get The Girl to do schoolwork. And bathe Captain. Probably should wash my car, too.

Renai- I pray in the shower. No distractions- in theory. I’m sorry it’s hard for you right now. I know the feeling of just wanting to start over. I have had years where I sold every schoolbook and started over. If it will help you, do it.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Slache- I’m going to the Homeschool Store tomorrow. I can see if he has the book you need. Pm me.

Awesome! I think it will be cheaper at CB or RR But I will just in case. I am not opposed to used! Thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

And now I really need to get a move on. Shower, more laundry, more cleaning. Since the cupboards are pretty bare, better AFSA/Costco. And get The Girl to do schoolwork. And bathe Captain. Probably should wash my car, too.

Renai- I pray in the shower. No distractions- in theory. I’m sorry it’s hard for you right now. I know the feeling of just wanting to start over. I have had years where I sold every schoolbook and started over. If it will help you, do it.

Yes. I dumped all but 1 subject this year and bought all new curriculum 1 full year backwards. It was the first time I've ever switched anything midyear. It was scary and hard to do, but I truly believe it was the right thing for Oldest.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m here, I’m exhaustified. Had a carpy day. It’s been a carpy week. Poor DS, I’m dropping him off at school and I asked him if he had his soccer uniform and he said, “yeah, I pulled it out of the hamper.” Yesterday I was so busy I forgot to wash it. So, he had to wear a dirty uniform and dirty socks to his game today. Now, yes.... he could have reminded me, or done it himself, but I still feel bad.

We went out to dinner tonight with my parents for my birthday which is tomorrow, my BFF sent me a birthday card in Spanish. Renai needs to translate for me,

I am in my fuzzy jammies, face washed teeth brushed so in case I fall asleep, I don’t have to get up and do any of that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

13 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I got a huge check from the mortgage company. Those people are idiots. About 10 months ago they raise our mortgage payment significantly because they say our taxes went up. Blah blah blah. And now we get a refund because we paid too much in taxes.

God knew you were going to need it right now. 😉

3 hours ago, Slache said:

The neighbors got evicted and left their dog behind. He is a beautiful one year old Pitbull cross. He is sweet and kind and wonderful with the kids. He's sitting by their door crying. Does anyone want a sweet, kind and wonderful pitbull that is great with kids? I would love him. I would so love him.

Why don't you keep him?

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Sorry! I had kids climbing on me until past 2am. Captain woke up around midnight! 

Put it in savings in case they pull the same trick this year.

I hear the Februaries creeping in. My take: all of you are doing fine! ALL, Renai! Look at the plus side of what your kids have learned. Quality over quantity. Time spent relationship building. Language acquisition.

Scotsman tells me when I get upset to go down the checklist.

1- They can read.

2- They can communicate.

3- They know basic math.

4- They are GOOD people!

5- They know how to learn.

6- They know how to set goals and work for them.

This helps put things into perspective for me. Doesn’t mean I slack off, but gives me space to say, “Ok, we aren’t doing so bad. We can make changes.” We can try again.

This is so helpful. I'm keeping this checklist. Thank Scotsman for me.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Why don't you keep him?

Breed restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good afternoon, my lovelies! My days of early morning check ins are over, I'm afraid. It's working out much better for me to do my Bible time in the early hours, and save social media for later. Unfortunately, that kind of includes ANYTHING online, including you, because I have no self control and tend to then spend my time cruising when I should be doing productive things for a good day. Baby steps! I will check in at lunch or quiet time.

I don't have a whole lot to say, though, so the above declaration is kinda useless, lol. We're alive. We did enough schooly things that I'm counting it. I want lunch and a nap with my baby. My kids are going to either also nap (Squishy and SuperDude) or read from the book basket (Reader and Runner). Dave is on his way home early, which is most excellent, but it's because his job is in a bit of an uproar, which is not a good thing. Keep him in your prayers, please.

Okay, it looks like quiet time before I nap is going to be the checking in sweet spot. Trying to do it now, when everyone wants lunch, is not conducive to actually thinking.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Older kids are at Lion King rehearsal.

Younger boys have been doing Prodigy math all morning.

I'm counting that as School is Getting Done.

I seriously love prodigy, my kids have done so many hours of math voluntarily because of that game. My oldest frequently complains about the fact that the game doesn't go past 8th grade math.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Slache said:

Breed restrictions.

I just discovered when looking for new homeowners insurance that lots of them won’t insure you if you have a Rottie or a German Shepherd. Guess what Juliet is?

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I just discovered when looking for new homeowners insurance that lots of them won’t insure you if you have a Rottie or a German Shepherd. Guess what Juliet is?

A lab boxer cross. That's normally the lie to cover it up.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

A lab boxer cross. That's normally the lie to cover it up.

Sounds like a boxing move.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yep.  Can't rent most places with them, either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Yep.  Can't rent most places with them, either.

Nope. And he's crossed with like a Mastiff for a Dogue de Bordeaux or something. He's going to be almost 200 pounds.

Edited by Slache
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Wait, then how did your neighbors get to keep him? Or are you talking about the new place?

Oh, there's no way that dog was on their lease! People like that never put dogs on their leases because then they have to pay pet rent and deposits.

• Like 3

People here have Birds and other pets that they're not supposed to have. Several people have five or six dogs when you're only allowed to have two. People get away with all kinds of stuff in apartments, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to suffer the consequences of trying to do the same.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, maize said:

I seriously love prodigy, my kids have done so many hours of math voluntarily because of that game. My oldest frequently complains about the fact that the game doesn't go past 8th grade math.

Another Prodigy lover here too. Now that I remember, sometimes it was the only math that got done.

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Wait, then how did your neighbors get to keep him? Or are you talking about the new place?

I was going to ask the same thing, but then remembered that they are crackheads...

Edited by Renai
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

People here have Birds and other pets that they're not supposed to have. Several people have five or six dogs when you're only allowed to have two. People get away with all kinds of stuff in apartments, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to suffer the consequences of trying to do the same.

Oh, completely understood! I was just trying to figure out how the poor guy got there in the first place.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

You are a square that looks 'round. 

I don't know what this means.

I'm 8 weeks pregnant. No one told me.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, maize said:

Math Prodigy? Never heard of it. Can it be done offline or is it online only? 

• Like 1

Can almond flour be used just like any other gluten-free flour mix? And still have your baked goods come out?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Can almond flour be used just like any other gluten-free flour mix? And still have your baked goods come out?

It's heavier. Sometimes I mix it with arrowroot. What are you making?

• Like 1

When I was in high school the math sequence was:

Algebra 1
Algebra 2/Trig and Geometry taken the same year
Algebra 3/Trig
Calculus.

So Trig was part of Algebra 2 and 3.   I think our Algebra 3/Trig is what's called Pre-calculus now.

• Like 2

EdPo:

I figured out how DH managed to get Oldest to complete 2 full math lessons and half an hour of silent reading before I got home from my thyroid appointment, this morning. He forgot about the textbook work! They only did flashcards, speed drills, and a couple of workbook pages and DH thought they were done. 😂 I was starting to really feel like a failure if Oldest can do that much work in such a short span of time for DH but not me. I feel a little better now. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
forgot to EdPo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

I figured out how DH managed to get Oldest to complete 2 full math lessons and half an hour of silent reading before I got home from my thyroid appointment, this morning. He forgot about the textbook work! They only did flashcards, speed drills, and a couple of workbook pages and DH thought they were done. 😂 I was starting to really feel like a failure if Oldest can do that much work in such a short span of time for DH but not me. I feel a little better now. 

It sounds like your husband works for the government!

• Haha 5

My two oldest took dual enrollment statistics at the local CC.  They both liked it a lot, and it turned out to be a particularly good thing for dd21 because she needs statistics for her nursing degree.

I spent 4 hours today making 5 reuben casseroles.  That's ridiculous.  Of course some of that time was spent grating cheese and making breadcrumbs with my food processor that somehow broke and now will only work if someone holds the bowl down.  That's annoying.  Tomorrow I'll make some quiches - I grated extra cheese for them.

For some reason I am suddenly all anxious and I don't know why.

Our home inspection report came through and now we can finish up on the refinance.  Krissi, our mortgage payment seems to change about $150 per month on a yearly basis due to under or over- funding escrow.  It's not like our taxes/insurance change THAT much.  It's annoying.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's heavier. Sometimes I mix it with arrowroot. What are you making?

I wanted to keep on hand for general baking: muffins, cookies, biscuits, etc.. I saw it at Costco.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Why do I look pregnant?

It’s so nice to look pregnant and actually be pregnant at the same time, though. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I wanted to keep on hand for general baking: muffins, cookies, biscuits, etc.. I saw it at Costco.

I say do it. It's not that much heavier. And sometimes heavier is better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

It sounds like your husband works for the government!

I'm still baffled by this. I can understand forgetting to do worksheets because they aren't listed in the TM. But how on earth did he forget the textbook!? Oh yeah, he didn't use the TM. TMs must be like owners manuals and how-to booklets for assembling stuff: Optional, which translates to "completely disregard" in man-speak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

It can make things greasy. But using it half and half with gf baking mix makes things that are ok a little bit heavy, like banana bread, extra yummy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oh yeah, he didn't use the TM. TMs must be like owners manuals and how-to booklets for assembling stuff: Optional, which translates to "completely disregard" in man-speak...

And Susan in TN speak.  If I can't figure something out intuitively, I don't bother with it.  I also don't ask for directions.  :laugh:  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Math Prodigy? Never heard of it. Can it be done offline or is it online only? 

Online only.

Do you have a reason for only doing offline stuff? If the concern is unsupervised browsing maybe you could set up a white list only internet control?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It may have changed but it used to be that Algebra 2 is the same as pre-calculus with some trigonometry thrown in. At least that’s what google had told me. But I am too lazy to google again 

I googled. I was right.  https://www.askdrcallahan.com/algebra-ii-with-trig-vs-precalc/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, maize said:

Online only.

Do you have a reason for only doing offline stuff? If the concern is unsupervised browsing maybe you could set up a white list only internet control?

Just a preference

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Renai said:

Hey.

Hi! I thought of you when I recently got to eat a chili rienne at a Mexican restaurant. I don't remember them being that HOT! Three bites in, I could feel the fire burning all my insides clean. I highly suggest this over any cold or flu medicine on the market. It'll surely kill anything and clear your sinuses instantly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Hi! I thought of you when I recently got to eat a chili rienne at a Mexican restaurant. I don't remember them being that HOT! Three bites in, I could feel the fire burning all my insides clean. I highly suggest this over any cold or flu medicine on the market. It'll surely kill anything and clear your sinuses instantly.

Ours weren't hot. It's kinda hit or miss whether they are spicy or not. We use Hatch chile, but I've heard they are often made with Poblano chiles which can be hotter. And, yes, we use chile to clear out sinuses. Make some lemonade and add a little red chile powder. It tastes good and cleans you right up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Renai said:

Ours weren't hot. It's kinda hit or miss whether they are spicy or not. We use Hatch chile, but I've heard they are often made with Poblano chiles which can be hotter. And, yes, we use chile to clear out sinuses. Make some lemonade and add a little red chile powder. It tastes good and cleans you right up!

It was definitely a poblano. I've just never experienced a poblano THAT hot before. Ever. I couldn't taste anything else I put in my mouth for almost an hour. 

• Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

It was definitely a poblano. I've just never experienced a poblano THAT hot before. Ever. I couldn't taste anything else I put in my mouth for almost an hour. 

ouch!

I only like very mild spiciness in my food.

I do like to add a pinch of chili powder to my hot cocoa. That plus cinnamon.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I need this.  I'm stuffy.  mild cold.  😩

• Sad 4

I don't know what to do. Someone tell me what to do. Slash suggested I take the dog, but I already have four animals and don't need MORE to do, just to do the stuff on the list to do.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1