Menu

Ignore this thread!

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

Can I have the stuffing recipe if you liked it?

I make it every year.  It’s this basic recipe: https://www.marthastewart.com/863002/smoked-oyster-and-bacon-stuffing 

I cook the bacon first (I use more than the recipe, and make sure it is fresh, thick bacon from the grocer, not packaged), then cook the onions and celery in the bacon fat. Then I cook up fresh oysters, chopped.  One pan.  I don’t use whole smoked oysters. I use some of the oyster juices in place of some of the stock. 

ETA: I start it as soon as I put the turkey in, and refrigerate assembled until the turkey comes out, at which point I just pop it in the oven for half an hour while I finish all the other last minute things.

ETA2: I prep the bread and cut the onions/celery/parsley the day before.  I have a large restaurant style soup pot I put the croutons in, and then I just add all the ingredients to that as I prep them on Thanksgiving.  Allows me plenty of space to mix all the ingredients together.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We had dinner at my parents’ house. It was traditional fare. Had a nice afternoon. Got our Christmas card picture taken. I’m not thrilled, the sun wasn’t at a great angle, but whatever. I’ll never pretend to be Ansel Adams. Now I am having a snack of leftovers and a sliver of pecan pie.

I got to see a bunch of Ansel Adams' art the other day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Five hours??? Priorities, people. Priorities!!

I'm so sorry!  I was getting the Advent Calendar together and dealing with frustratingly stupid decorative doodads that wouldn't stay in place and I swear if one more person comes in to ask me when Advent starts I'm going to throw a major tantrum.  (NO Slache!  I saw that look in your eyes!)

On a happier note, I have my proper Christmas smelling tree set up on the front porch.  I made some little Advent treat bags for dd22 to take back and share with her roommates.  Dh is cooking spaghetti for dinner.  I found all the Advent song packets that were not packed away in the box I expected them to be in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In case you need some Holiday inspiration.  I think this is my favorite - I don't know who James is, and I wonder about the casual venue - a school, maybe?  But the performance is breathtaking.  "A Child is Born in Bethlehem" arranged by Ørjan Matre.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don’t think that I am going to decorate. Half of my living room and 3/4 of my dining room are taken up with kitchen stuff. Trying to cram decorations in there would probably send me over the edge. 

You can come here for Christmas.

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

So much happiness!

How is your house so clean?  We are almost done decorating and it looks like a hurricane came through.

How are the beignets?  They look delicious!  Especially with the goop.

The life changing magic of tidying up.

Wonderful. Not fluffy enough by user error (didn't let it rise overnight). Tasted like stuffed elephant ears. 10/10. Would eat again.

• Like 4

I swore off the internet yesterday, so late Happy Thanksgiving! We had turkey, cornbread dressing, green beans, cranberry sauce, mac & cheese (Pioneer Woman's first recipe), dinner rolls. Gymnast was in charge of desserts: rice crispy treats, cookies, pumpkin pie.

We ate dinner while watching the original Miracle on 34th street. Only then may Christmasy things begin. There are no Christmas movies or music until after Thanksgiving. I made up that rule and strictly enforce. They turned on the lights yesterday too. 

Today, I worked a bit on classes, we took a walk in the river, and I worked more on classes while we watched more Christmas movies. We really like Christmas Inheritance. Tomorrow (Saturday), we'll put up the tree and decorate while listening to Cinnamon Bear. I'm so sappy.

• Like 7

Good morning!

Didn’t sleep very well. My arm and hip were aching for some reason. Too much pie, I suppose. 

Right now I’m sitting on the sofa holding the Golden Angel sideways. Dh knocked it over and the wing broke so I’m waiting for the glue to dry. 

Dd22 goes back to school today for a couple weeks. I NEED to get laundry done.  Hopefully we will be able to go to the church after lunch and help decorate for Advent and then puppy has a training class after that. 

Coffee!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Didn’t sleep very well. My arm and hip were aching for some reason. Too much pie, I suppose. 

Right now I’m sitting on the sofa holding the Golden Angel sideways. Dh knocked it over and the wing broke so I’m waiting for the glue to dry. 

Dd22 goes back to school today for a couple weeks. I NEED to get laundry done.  Hopefully we will be able to go to the church after lunch and help decorate for Advent and then puppy has a training class after that. 

Coffee!

...that reminds me of a Hallmark movie....  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I put the lights on the tree, put away some of the regular knick-knacks to make room for Christmas decorations, and helped dh determine which decorations are not being put up this year.  (Dd18 does the lion's share of the decorating here and she's still at college.)

• Like 4

We helped decorate the church for Advent.  It's all purtified, though it's really a lovely old place year-round.

Then dds14&11 and I went to Chester's training session.  He learned "place" and the trainer guy got him to climb onto an upside-down plastic bin.  He was afraid of going on it the first few times and it looked like the scene in Elf when Buddy is going up the escalator.  😁   

Is 6:00 too early to go to bed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, We are back home and I am super looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight.  Tomorrow we have Thanksgiving Part 2, dinner with my mom and oldest dd.  

I think we'll probably put up our tree next weekend.  There's still a bunch of tools and boxes in the dining nook where our tree is going to go.  The inspector is coming Friday and once he's done, dh can put all that crap somewhere else and we'll have a space for the tree. 

Dh is super strict on no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving (years of working retail has me completely on board with that one), and no tree/decorations until after Thanksgiving (I'm okay with that too), but he started watching those smarmy Christmas Hallmark movies back in October!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Morning.   Thanksgiving Part 2 today, along with working on classes and setting up school.    So, the usual.    But, I'm getting classes completely planned for at least the next 3 weeks so then I don't have to think about it anymore until Christmas break.  (at least that's the plan, we'll see).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Does anyone here do hormonal birth control in your 30s and 40s? I've not done it in a decade because I was afraid of causing a miscarriage but now that I know that won't happen I'm considering it for the pain and exhaustion related to my cycle. It's bad.

I did one short stint mid thirties, but didn't like the side effects and stopped.  But if I were in your shoes, I would totally try it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m watching Sportsball. Got some bills paid. We watched church online this morning. Our church opened up in October and now we’ve had some positive cases tied to the choir. I’m kind of surprised they decided to do in-person this morning, but we decided to stay home. All the Bible studies, youth groups, etc. have been cancelled for the week. 

• Like 3