Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Favorite Thanksgiving Music?

My all-time favorite continues to be the New York Philharmonic playing Aaron Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring, Rodeo Four Dance Episodes, and the Billy the Kid Ballet Suite.  I know Copland has fallen out of favor in recent years, but his music makes me so happy.

I also like "Thanksgiving" and "Sounds of Wood&Steel" from Windham Hill.

I have mixed feelings about Copland. There is a modern edge in some of his music that just does not appeal to me, but how can one not respond to “Rodeo”? That piece is amazing.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I have mixed feelings about Copland. There is a modern edge in some of his music that just does not appeal to me, but how can one not respond to “Rodeo”? That piece is amazing.

Yep.  I have such wonderful memories of that piece.  Appalachian Spring always makes me cry.  In the printed music there are little snippets of the story that it is telling.  From Wikipedia:

The story tells of a spring celebration of the American pioneers of the 19th century, after building a new Pennsylvania farmhouse. Among the central characters are a bride, a groom, a pioneer woman, a preacher and his congregation. The L.A. Times provides a concise summary of the storyline in its transitions between the choreographed sequences stating:

Created in 1944, the ballet tells a simple story. A young farm couple ruminate on their lives before getting married and setting up house in the wilderness. An itinerant preacher delivers a sermon. An older pioneer woman oversees the events with sympathy and wisdom. The newlyweds muse on their future as night falls. In the course of the dance, Graham reveals the inner lives of the four principal characters – Wife, Husbandman, Pioneer Woman and Preacher. She shows that the couple will face a future that will not be all sweetness and light, but she also draws out the private and shared emotional resources they will be able to bring to the challenges...[9]

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Favorite Thanksgiving Music?

My all-time favorite continues to be the New York Philharmonic playing Aaron Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man, Appalachian Spring, Rodeo Four Dance Episodes, and the Billy the Kid Ballet Suite.  I know Copland has fallen out of favor in recent years, but his music makes me so happy.

I also like "Thanksgiving" and "Sounds of Wood&Steel" from Windham Hill.

I love Copland.  I will look up those Windham Hill songs.

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving to my ITT family!

We ran to Whole Foods and got a gluten free dairy free pumpkin pie.  My dinner is complete.  😉

Actually, a turkey breast is in the crockpot.  We won't eat until regular dinner time tonight.  No reason to change the timing since it's just dh and I eating here.  It will be simple - just adding some veggie sides - microwavable in my field kitchen.

• Like 5

We had:

rotisserie chicken

Stove Top stuffing

Instant mashed potatoes with jarred gravy

steam-fresh corn

dinner rolls

cranberry sauce

It was truly a Thanksgiving for Cheaters -- easy and yummy.  It's pretty much what we do every year -- there were just no extra people this year.

Ds20 and dd18 were invited to a college friend's house for dinner.  Their friend lives less than an hour from their campus, so they were invited over for the day.  :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Other than that, 

Roast turkey, Bob Evan's mashed potatoes, gravy, mushroom sage dressing, cheesy  broccoli & rice, sweet potatoes with pineapple and marshmallows, baked baby carrots in horseradish sauce, cranberry sauce (from a can), harvest corn salad, mandarin orange salad, dinner rolls (Sister Schubert), butter.  Apple cider, sparkling cranberry juice, sparkling apple juice.

Dd22 made herself some seasoned fried tofu.  It wasn't bad!

In about an hour we'll have dessert along with a zoom meeting with my family .  Pumpkin pie and apple pie.  As per usual, I burned the apple pie crust.  

After that we're going to watch Arsenic and Old Lace.  None of us have seen it before.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm planning next year's menu.

Turkey, ham
Mashatatoes, cornbread pudding, rolls with honeybutter
Green bean casserole, roasted veggies, salad
Pecan pie, punkin pie, cheesecake
Sweet tea, coffee, talking rain
(Gravy, cranberry sauce)

38 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Slachey!  Good to see you; I was starting to worry again.  Happy Thanksgiving!

We had Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, sweet potato casserole, corn pudding, rolls, sweet tea.  How about you?

Don't worry about me! When I have energy I do things not near my phone. It's good. Today I spent 2 hours organizing tools. Matt worked on the "to fix" pile, cleaned the water cooler and took my yoga swing down so we can put the tree up. Tomorrow we decorate while making beignets and drinking eggnog.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm planning next year's menu.

Turkey, ham
Mashatatoes, cornbread pudding, rolls with honeybutter
Green bean casserole, roasted veggies, salad
Pecan pie, punkin pie, cheesecake
Sweet tea, coffee, talking rain
(Gravy, cranberry sauce)

Don't worry about me! When I have energy I do things not near my phone. It's good. Today I spent 2 hours organizing tools. Matt worked on the "to fix" pile, cleaned the water cooler and took my yoga swing down so we can put the tree up. Tomorrow we decorate while making beignets and drinking eggnog.

How do you make beignets?  Sounds fancy!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

We had (at lunch): pan-seared fillet mignon, steamed broccoli, fried potato rounds, cranberry sauce, and chocolate pie with way too much chocolate and whipped cream to be sensible.

Also, and I neglected to mention this earlier, DS 16s are no longer with us. I have to say they are 17 now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Here is the eyeroll-inducing brief history of my Mayflower ancestors:

Through Papa’s mom’s side of the family, we are related to 10 of the Mayflower passengers.

Isaac & Mary Allerton and their daughter, Mary.  Mary (the mother) gave birth to a stillborn child in Plymouth Harbor and died the first winter.  Little Mary was four when she travelled across the ocean. 

John Goodman – Not much is known about John Goodman, although he and a friend did spend a snowy, wet night in a tree in the forest because they heard wild animals and were afraid to return to the settlement.  They returned to the settlement the next day.

Degory Priest – Degory left his wife and two daughters in England, planning to bring them to Plymouth after things were settled.  He died the first winter.

John and Joan Tilley, and their daughter Elizabeth – John and Joan Tilley both died the first year.  Elizabeth, who was about 13 at the time of the Mayflower crossing, married John Howland a few years later.

John Howland – John Howland is your famous ancestor who fell off the ship in the middle of the Atlantic.  We are thankful to all who worked to rescue him!

Richard Warren – Richard Warren left his wife and five daughters; they joined him in 1623 after sailing on the ship Anne.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

We had dinner at my parents’ house. It was traditional fare. Had a nice afternoon. Got our Christmas card picture taken. I’m not thrilled, the sun wasn’t at a great angle, but whatever. I’ll never pretend to be Ansel Adams. Now I am having a snack of leftovers and a sliver of pecan pie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I am also part Muscogee Creek.  So we have both Pilgrim and Native American ancestry.  I pretend it's why my children don't always get along...  Warring factions, and all that.

I love it!

Junie's Fabulous Family Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on

with record-setting length and fun

It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity

and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...

And the place where one finds special friends,

the kind that have hearts that are strong and true

Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends

Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps

But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps.

I had no idea when I entered in

That what seems a little nuts might actually save me

From going insane on days that are crazy 🤗

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

I didn't get my sweet potatoes with marshmallows this year.  Dh forgot to bring down marshmallows.  But I should get them Sunday when we have dinner with my mom and dd. 

MIL's internet is pretty week.  I can usually manage to get on a little bit in the morning but by afternoon there are evidently too many people on and I keep getting kicked out.  

Today's plan is same as yesterday, work on classes.  Which I can do without internet for quite a bit of it.   

Dh is trying to get MIL to come up to our house for a few days at Christmas.  At first I thought it wasn't such a great idea, but now I'm thinking being able to be in my own bed would be worth it.   I barely slept the last two nights. 

• Like 4

I’m a little late posting my menu, but we had:

Roast turkey, gravy, scalloped potatoes, bacon and oyster stuffing, Cabernet cranberry sauce, jellied cranberry sauce, caramelized carrots, crisp brussels sprout leaves, green beans, corn bread, cranberry chess pie, and pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Later today we'll go to the Christmas tree stand and pick out a Front Porch Tree so I can go outside and smell my Christmas Tree.

Oh!  And we found the nativity that was missing last year.  Apparently I packed it away in a small box (properly labeled "Nativity") and it never made it out of the attic.  But we have it this year! 🎉

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Friday!!!!

No pumpkin pie for breakfast here. Since I didn’t host, we didn’t have gobs left over. Besides, I only took yesterday off my eating plan. Today we are back at it.

My Aunt and Uncle’s boutique is today, and the little girls are serving COFFEE!!!~D there, so I need to get them there by 10:00. We are going to DH’s parents’ for dinner tonight. I am bringing dinner. So, I think I will make Turkey tetrazzini. I have bread I baked Tuesday to bring and I think I will make homemade applesauce. And I have a frozen pie I bought at the fundraiser for DD’s school. 

I suppose I will take down the fall decorations and start decorating for Christmas. My only nod to the early Christmas season this year was listening to Christmas music early, and of course the Hallmark Christmas movies.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Later today we'll go to the Christmas tree stand and pick out a Front Porch Tree so I can go outside and smell my Christmas Tree.

Oh!  And we found the nativity that was missing last year.  Apparently I packed it away in a small box (properly labeled "Nativity") and it never made it out of the attic.  But we have it this year! 🎉

I have been wanting to get a nice Nativity for years. I know I will have to fork out some cash, and I am ok with that because I want something that will be nice for years to come, but I’m still a bit of a tight wad, and just can’t seem to do it.

• Like 4

Happy Pie for Breakfast Day to all who are observing. 🙂

Between lunch and dinner yesterday, we had a chicken, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, peas, the pie, cranberry sauce (we like canned), spinach and artichoke dip with veggies to dip in it, a not so impressive cider (I didn't go to the Farmers' Market, which is the only place to get the One True Cider), and grape juice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

I’m a little late posting my menu, but we had:

Roast turkey, gravy, scalloped potatoes, bacon and oyster stuffing, Cabernet cranberry sauce, jellied cranberry sauce, caramelized carrots, crisp brussels sprout leaves, green beans, corn bread, cranberry chess pie, and pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream

Can I have the stuffing recipe if you liked it?

• Like 1