• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Good morning!

I am hoping ds16 can get his morning work done quickly so I can run him over the Great Clips for a haircut.  It's getting desperate.  He has a cello lesson this afternoon.

The kids' club teacher at church is in quarrantine, so we agreed to take over her part of the Wed. night activity/devotion after the choir part.  I have to come up with a fun game or two for about a dozen 2nd-6th grade kids in a small room.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Manly hula is always appreciated!

I'm off for my next part of my morning walk as soon as I finish thawing out. It's cold and frosty. A lot of cooking and writing planned for today. My lists are getting too long, but It won't be long until I can settle down with the drafted material and rest for the last half of December. Probably.

• Like 4

Ds16 is so very mad at me right now.  I went down to ask him something during cello practice time and noticed that all his cello books were still in his cello bag.  From his lesson 2 weeks ago.  Whoa boy.  Not good news for you, because that means Mom is going to sit in the room and practice with you.  For the next 90 minutes or however long it takes to get through all of your assigned music.  He had the audacity to complain that he wasn't going to have time to study chemistry. 😢 Oh child, you should know better than that.  😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

@Susan in TN Ack, that stabs me in the heart - sniff - I want my 16 yo boy back!  Where did he go?!?

Ok, back to reality.  My grown up man child is just wonderful, albeit absent and busy.  Sigh!  Haha, btw, on the ‘no time to study chemistry’=). Such an old lady thing to say, but...how wonderful that you get to sit with him while he practices...even if he doesn’t appreciate it=)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Familia said:

Oops, sorry about that.  Second mistake!  First, sent that to DS by accident & I am sure he is ????? Then, I do not use the first bow... where’d that come from?  So, I guess my year will be goofy, floral and full of flowers.  I am TRYING to stay positive.

On the dog front, what am I doing wrong?  @Jean in Newcastle I would love to do agility classes.  Our laid back pup is so reactive to other dogs, not aggressive, but she pulls & barks. And, she weighs 80 lbs!  Very well trained to everyday house commands/laid back with guests, but...I read about dogs in classes and wonder if she’d get over it?!? 

How old is your pup?  Has she been socialized around other dogs?  I have found that dogs that aren't on leash (like at a dog park) are much less likely to react to each other.  In fact, the dog that Juliet got into it with the other day had done just fine with each other off leash about ten minutes prior to that.  I was worried about Juliet in the class setting but we have the dogs leashed while we wait for our turn (all socially distanced of course!).  Then while she's on the course, she's so busy following my commands (and the treat I have out) that she ignores the other dogs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Familia said:

@Susan in TN Ack, that stabs me in the heart - sniff - I want my 16 yo boy back!  Where did he go?!?

Ok, back to reality.  My grown up man child is just wonderful, albeit absent and busy.  Sigh!  Haha, btw, on the ‘no time to study chemistry’=). Such an old lady thing to say, but...how wonderful that you get to sit with him while he practices...even if he doesn’t appreciate it=)

Awwww...❤️

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

How old is your pup?  Has she been socialized around other dogs?  I have found that dogs that aren't on leash (like at a dog park) are much less likely to react to each other.  In fact, the dog that Juliet got into it with the other day had done just fine with each other off leash about ten minutes prior to that.  I was worried about Juliet in the class setting but we have the dogs leashed while we wait for our turn (all socially distanced of course!).  Then while she's on the course, she's so busy following my commands (and the treat I have out) that she ignores the other dogs. 

Have you ever seen dogs at the dog park trying to herd other dogs?  There was a dog the other day who kept "soft biting" Chester's neck and ears and it looked to me like he was trying to herd Chester.  Or mother him.  He does look like a fluffy brown sheep, lol.  Chester did not appreciate it much.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Have you ever seen dogs at the dog park trying to herd other dogs?  There was a dog the other day who kept "soft biting" Chester's neck and ears and it looked to me like he was trying to herd Chester.  Or mother him.  He does look like a fluffy brown sheep, lol.  Chester did not appreciate it much.

Juliet is guilty of this.  She is a herding breed.  😉  The other dogs just ignore her. 

She does much better herding our flock of bunnies. 

• Like 4

You know, @Jean in Newcastleyou bring up some very good points.  When Rosie, who is almost three years old, was at puppy class, as a 6 month old, she did fairly well...being busy did distract her.  Of course, she was a magnet for the one aggressive dog in class.  Puzzling to the admins/annoying as all get out to me!

Been awhile since the dog park, but did good off leash as you said. (Though a magnet there, too....do dogs smell her shyness?  I mean, she sniffs others with the best of them, so she isn’t hiding behind me or anything). Part is my own concern for her size.  So laid back & fairly well trained loose leash, but an unexpected lunge from her could pull my arm off!  Note to self: keep to small to medium dog next time.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Familia said:

You know, @Jean in Newcastleyou bring up some very good points.  When Rosie, who is almost three years old, was at puppy class, as a 6 month old, she did fairly well...being busy did distract her.  Of course, she was a magnet for the one aggressive dog in class.  Puzzling to the admins/annoying as all get out to me!

Been awhile since the dog park, but did good off leash as you said. (Though a magnet there, too....do dogs smell her shyness?  I mean, she sniffs others with the best of them, so she isn’t hiding behind me or anything). Part is my own concern for her size.  So laid back & fairly well trained loose leash, but an unexpected lunge from her could pull my arm off!  Note to self: keep to small to medium dog next time.

I do obedience training at dog parks too.  She needs help obeying with distractions.  Other dog owners go "how do you get her to obey?"  Do they not see the commands, treats and praise?! 

We have some agility-ish obstacles at one dog park that she's done as well.  I need to take her back there now that we're actually learning the obstacle commands so that she can practice. 

Don't tell anyone this (because this is shocking to some people) but I have a prong collar on Juliet for her and my safety.  I never actually pull on it unless there was an imminent safety reason (which has only happened once or twice because of another aggressive dog) but it's there so that I can safely get her away because otherwise she is too strong for me.  I take the prong off in off leash areas so that it can't get caught on anything. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yay Mouse!  How are Mr. Ellie's eyes?

😊

They are great. Today's technology is amazing. 🙂

I'm also a teensy bit jealous; I had lasik done almost 16 years ago, but I did not do mono-vision, so I still need reading glasses. A couple of years ago I got *one* contact lens, which is awesome, but I still need it, or reading glasses. Mr. Ellie had mono-vision done, so he doesn't need anything on his face, at all, ever. ::le sigh:: Also, because of my lasik, when I need cataract surgery (which I will eventually, because the doctor can see them, but they're very small and slow growing), it will be tricky.

But of course I'm really very happy for Mr. Ellie, and glad things have gone so well. Seeing him without glasses is kind of weird, so there's that. 😉

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Don't tell anyone this (because this is shocking to some people) but I have a...

I do, too.  But, I forget that is one of the tricks up my sleeve. From my understanding, it is not taboo amongst people who really know/do dogs.  You sure seem to use it sensibly.  

BTW, I get the ‘commands, treats and praise’...my vet office staff says my dog is the best trained of their clientele...I think, “Are you crazy?” But, she is obedient, just not trained to public...that’s what counts!!  We live in the country, too, they probably don’t see well-trained city dogs for comparison!  Thanks for encouraging me. 

• Like 3

I've had a pretty good day. :)

Once I got rid of my headache, I felt pretty good.  Which is rare for me.

Supervised school.  Duolingoed.  Zoomed to the doctor.  Listened to some Bible podcasts.  Slept through lunch.  Read some of the Bonhoeffer biography I've been reading for too long.  Spent an hour outside in the cold wind, watching the birds soar and watching the girls blow bubbles.  Made dinner with dd14.  Ate.  Brushed and braided dd10's hair.  Watched a little bit of youtube.  Now I'm listening to a Bible lecture for a class that I'm auditing.

I'm pretending that all of this was actually productive.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm so tired. When I'm tired, I want to eat.  Even though I just ate.

In other news, dd14 discovered that the "mud fish" she has been catching to feed Tiger the Bullfrog are actually called logperch.  She caught a few to put in the patio fountain she made.  Their names are Sahara, Pira, Smoke, and Steve.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

Four hours!!! Priorities people. Priorities!!

I am beat. Work is crazy, I took DD to get her allergy shots and She got a bloody nose in the car that wouldn’t stop so we had to go home and try again later. I helped DS with two of his many late English assignments. Now I just want to go to sleep.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm so tired. When I'm tired, I want to eat.  Even though I just ate.

In other news, dd14 discovered that the "mud fish" she has been catching to feed Tiger the Bullfrog are actually called logperch.  She caught a few to put in the patio fountain she made.  Their names are Sahara, Pira, Smoke, and Steve.

Very cute little fishies. I looked them up. Creative names, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Junie said:

I've had a pretty good day. 🙂

Once I got rid of my headache, I felt pretty good.  Which is rare for me.

Supervised school.  Duolingoed.  Zoomed to the doctor.  Listened to some Bible podcasts.  Slept through lunch.  Read some of the Bonhoeffer biography I've been reading for too long.  Spent an hour outside in the cold wind, watching the birds soar and watching the girls blow bubbles.  Made dinner with dd14.  Ate.  Brushed and braided dd10's hair.  Watched a little bit of youtube.  Now I'm listening to a Bible lecture for a class that I'm auditing.

I'm pretending that all of this was actually productive.

That is productive, Junie. Don’t sell yourself short.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

School and work.

EdPo:  I took a brief interlude in our history/science curriculum to study the Pilgrims. It was an on-the-fly, hastily-thrown-together unit study, but with the help of a Landmark book on the Pilgrims, a couple of History Pocket books and my inordinate love of unconventional timelines, I think it’s going really well. Yesterday we even wrote an essay on the Mayflower Compact.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

So tired!  Puppy decided to start barking at 4:30 this morning.  He finally (mostly) stopped around 5.  

My mom has The Rona.  She's doing fine, but we are hoping my dad doesn't get it, as his health is a little more fragile.

I need to find a box to mail a gift and print out my Thanksgiving Document.

Coffee!

• Sad 7

Morning.  Its cold here too.  I guess our lovely extra stretch summer is over.  

I yoga'd this morning with dd, then had my breakfast and tea.  Dh made me an omelette to bring with me so I could eat without having to go out or stick with granola bars. 

We're taking a break from yoga next week.  I'm off teaching all week and really want to sleep in some.  She works retail so next week will be crazy for her.   We'll get back to it after Thanksgiving.

Kids are having some trouble with getting school done.  I think I need to get back to assigning things to specific days again.  I started just giving them all their assignments and letting them plan out the week.  And that worked for a while.  But lately with the Rona crazy and the house construction crazy and just general crazy, it's not working as well.    I'm also thinking turning off the wifi for part of the day may be a good thing to try.  🙄 It can't be for the entire school day because ds has multiple online courses to work on, and both of them type things and send them to me on email.   But we could probably do a 4 hour stretch of no wifi easily enough.  I'll have to look into how that works with our system.  I know it can be done.   That might be something for the new year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Servi, thanks for the coffee!  It's a little chilly here today.

Of course! You said you needed help temporarily and I am Servie, after all. 😁

We woke up to lots of white fluffy stuff outside and 20°. It was just in the 70s last week. Such weird weather this year. Going through winter outerwear today because I think Oldest and Middle will need new coats. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

5 hours. Teaching?  Cleaning?  Cooking?    Or something more fun?

It’s a where is everyone? booyah! 😜

My day was too busy!! I wish I could say it was interesting busy, but it wasn’t. Power went out this morning,  but only for a couple of hours. 

• Like 3