Menu

What's with the ads?

On 12/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, myblessings4 said:

Regarding your first quote of me, just working and getting ready for Christmas!

How about you?

Regarding this quote, I have heard of it, but have never looked into it.  When is the conference?

It's in April. I'm getting a very conservative and white vibe from the website. But that hasn't stopped me before (our state conference is the same).

7 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Nothing could get me anywhere near the mall until after Christmas.  Not that I've been to the mall much this entire year.  I actually don't think I've been any farther into the mall than Cheesecake Factory, except maybe to pop into the store dd works at.  

We ordered 99% of the gifts from Amazon or Target online.  They are all at the science center waiting to be wrapped.  I'll probably head over and do it tomorrow and/or Sunday.

I think the only place we go in the mall is Dairy Queen, maybe 2-3 times a year. Every once in awhile, Boba. For shopping? Heck nah.

Most of the gifts have come in from Amazon. I have  a few more coming in tomorrow , and one on Sunday. My middle sister started a fitness clothing line, and I bought a pair of leggings for myself and Dancer. I don't think they'll be here until after Christmas though. Gymnast asked for several books, including a couple on anxiety...she's a weird child.

• Like 5

Happy Saturday Before Christmas! 

Dh is on a super early trip to the super crazy cheap grocery store. ( I'm hoping they have fresh turkeys left.)  The girls made a coffee cake to freeze for Christmas breakfast, and are flipping pancakes for today.  I'm supposed to be stealth-wrapping  but so far I'm just lazily having my coffee and egg.  I also need to make meatballs when dh gets back.  And the auto-glass guy is showing up to replace my windshield this afternoon (I keep forgetting that).

• Like 5

Good morning!

What's the basement prognosis, Jean?

Happy Christmas Preparation Weekend!

The good news is that I am feeling much better.  Seemed to turn the corner last night.  Ds24 woke us in the middle of the night saying he woke up feeling numb all over.  His temperature was 95.1, but he took a warm shower and it went up to 98.1.  We are letting him sleep a bit before taking him to the doctor.  Some decisions have to be made depending on the van diagnosis - going to NY or not, fixing the van or not (depending on how expensive the repair is) and/or what we would do for a replacement vehicle (8 or 12-passenger).

I need to put away laundry, pack, take ds24 to doctor, wrap presents, pack, help dd13 finish making gift, pack, clean house, get ready for guests to come over, have Advent, pack.  But first,

COFFEE!!

• Like 4

Good Morning.   I slept okay last night.  Not awful, not great, just okay.   Trying to get comfortable was rough.   Today I'm looking up stretching exercises to help sciatica, hoping it doesn't really last the WEEKS that is considered normal, and figuring out the rest of my day.  

Laundry, dishes, need to head over to the science center at some point to at least feed some animals.  There's nothing else I HAVE to do there.  I have at least a few more days to wrap gifts.   I may stick with paperwork today.  Get a start on sorting receipts for taxes, planning school, etc.  The recommended seating position (forward on chair, feet on floor) is a decent one for paperwork but not so great if I just want to read or watch tv.  

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

Today is Christmas  with DH’s family!! It kind of snuck up on me, but the Carmel sticky buns are in the oven and the brunch casserole will go in when the rolls come out. The only bad thing is my in-law’s present has ‘t Arrived from Shutterfly!!😡😡😡

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

Today is Christmas  with DH’s family!! It kind of snuck up on me, but the Carmel sticky buns are in the oven and the brunch casserole will go in when the rolls come out. The only bad thing is my in-law’s present has ‘t Arrived from Shutterfly!!😡😡😡

I ordered the kids Christmas gifts on the 10th and they haven't shipped yet.

• Sad 5

Good morning!

Kids are at tumbling.

We're going to meet up with some of dh's family this afternoon, watch a musical "Savior of the World" production, enjoy Christmas lights, and hopefully make it to Trader Joe's cause there isn't one near us.

I need to figure out how to do Christmas Eve at our house with 18 people, our living space is a bit small for hosting. Wasn't planning to host anyone but dh's sister asked if their family could come up and I'm actually really happy to have them, just have to get myself into gear to do what needs doing.

Like all the cleaning.

We did finally get the tree decorated yesterday.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

No new water in the basement. The flexible hose we snaked from the sump pump in the back to the street gutter is helping the sump pump to keep up with the water that is still coming from the sky 

I am officially in a flare but will continue to work in the Schoolroom of Doom salvaging what I can and getting rid of the rest. The other areas affected (laundry room and the cat’s bathroom were easy cleanups. 

I found out last night that our homeowners insurance covers everything except for flooding. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

Hope you can find some relief for your sciatica, Toto!  

So The Christmas Trip is back on.  There was a blown fuse to the starter motor which the guy replaced and then drove the van around for 45 minutes trying to make the fuse blow again, which he couldn't.  So it might have been a fluke or it might be something wrong with something that causes fuses to blow.  They said "Merry Christmas" and didn't charge us for the repair and the mechanic gave us spare fuses and showed dh how to replace it if it happens again. :wub:

Back to wrapping presents.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Hope you can find some relief for your sciatica, Toto!  

So The Christmas Trip is back on.  There was a blown fuse to the starter motor which the guy replaced and then drove the van around for 45 minutes trying to make the fuse blow again, which he couldn't.  So it might have been a fluke or it might be something wrong with something that causes fuses to blow.  They said "Merry Christmas" and didn't charge us for the repair and the mechanic gave us spare fuses and showed dh how to replace it if it happens again. :wub:

Back to wrapping presents.

So that was a Christmas miracle because of the kindness of the mechanics but also the opposite of a Christmas miracle because you still have to go on the trip?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So that was a Christmas miracle because of the kindness of the mechanics but also the opposite of a Christmas miracle because you still have to go on the trip?

My thoughts as well. 😢

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yep.

11 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

My thoughts as well. 😢

Can you imagine having 7 entirely free days at your disposal because you thought you'd be out of town?  And you already had all the holiday and general groceries on hand?  Holy Svengo Batman!  Oh well.  I AM very grateful that the engine wasn't blown or anything serious like that.

• Like 10

Wrapped all the kids gifts (that have arrived already), turtle didn't want to eat or come where I could get him out to eat.  I have to run to Target Monday morning to exchange something for dh because they sent the wrong size.

So, evidently what helps MY sciatica the most is not sitting down.  Ever.   Standing helps a lot but whenever I sit, it hurts a ton when I first get up again.  

• Sad 7

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I ordered the kids Christmas gifts on the 10th and they haven't shipped yet.

I’m glad Scotsman ordered our Shutterfly stuff before Thanksgiving, then!

The Girl’s party was a success! All had a great time eating insane amounts of popcorn and Belgian chocolate covered cookies. Near the end, they were bouncing off the walls but hey, it was a party. Our neighbor stayed with her girls so I got to visit with another adult! The Girl wants to know when she can give another party. I said February.

Went to IKEA early this morning for an easel for Captain. We got there 15 mins after opening. By the time we left about an hour later, it was packed!

We had our visit with my aunt and uncle so now I have nothing else to do. I really need to make a decision about preschool for Captain. He’s watching too much tv.

• Like 5

• Seven batches of meatballs in the freezer, and one batch bubbling in the sauce for tonight.  ✔️
  • Two coffee cakes made and frozen ✔️
  • the fridge cleaned out and stuffed with everything dh brought home (including the right turkey!) ✔️
  • and a relatively organized list of to-do's for the next several days has been made. Hopefully I won't lose it like last year's, and can refer to it next year. ✔️
  • Plus I collected all my holiday recipes into one binder so I'm not drowning in cookbooks (virtual and otherwise) for the next week. ✔️
  •  And I cleared off my very cluttered virtual desktop. ✔️
  •  And then I coffeed while learning all about applying wallpaper with liquid starch so it's removable.  (I have no intention of wallpapering anything. But there are Pinterest worthy prints out there, and this is why nothing is wrapped for Christmas yet.)✔️
  • Also, the new windshield is in.  Auto Glass Guy had to make two trips because the wrong one had been packed on his truck, but he was pretty chill about it.   I'm glad I was slow about sticking on my new 2020 beach pass sticker. The 2019 is in a glass morgue somewhere now, and I have a fresh canvas.  Laziness pays off yet again. ✔️
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:
  • Seven batches of meatballs in the freezer, and one batch bubbling in the sauce for tonight.  ✔️
  • Two coffee cakes made and frozen ✔️
  • the fridge cleaned out and stuffed with everything dh brought home (including the right turkey!) ✔️
  • and a relatively organized list of to-do's for the next several days has been made. Hopefully I won't lose it like last year's, and can refer to it next year. ✔️
  • Plus I collected all my holiday recipes into one binder so I'm not drowning in cookbooks (virtual and otherwise) for the next week. ✔️
  •  And I cleared off my very cluttered virtual desktop. ✔️
  •  And then I coffeed while learning all about applying wallpaper with liquid starch so it's removable.  (I have no intention of wallpapering anything. But there are Pinterest worthy prints out there, and this is why nothing is wrapped for Christmas yet.)✔️
  • Also, the new windshield is in.  Auto Glass Guy had to make two trips because the wrong one had been packed on his truck, but he was pretty chill about it.   I'm glad I was slow about sticking on my new 2020 beach pass sticker. The 2019 is in a glass morgue somewhere now, and I have a fresh canvas.  Laziness pays off yet again. ✔️

This deserves a round of applause as well as a trophy.  Well done!

• Like 4

Me duele la cabeza de nuevo.

Oh wait.  Duolingo is on another tab.

My head hurts again. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yep.

Can you imagine having 7 entirely free days at your disposal because you thought you'd be out of town?  And you already had all the holiday and general groceries on hand?  Holy Svengo Batman!  Oh well.  I AM very grateful that the engine wasn't blown or anything serious like that.

There's still time to fake it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Renai said:

Yeah, I think you’re starting to feel a really bad and highly contagious cold coming on. Really, the only thing to do is cancel the trip and stay in bed watching Christmas movies.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I'd have a VERY hard time convincing dh. :laugh:

55 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yeah, I think you’re starting to feel a really bad and highly contagious cold coming on. Really, the only thing to do is cancel the trip and stay in bed watching Christmas movies.

Ds24 even went to the doctor due to his near-hypothermia temperature and achiness last night.  The doctor couldn't find a single thing wrong with him.  Sigh.  

At least we should be staying ahead of the rain and it's been warm enough to keep the roads clear.

We are all packed - except for violins and the kids' own activity bags and pillows.  I have "Amahl and the Night Visitors" and "The Composer is Dead" and "Peter and the Wolf" CDs for listening.

• Like 9

Why is it that I feel better at 1 a.m. than I do at any other time of the day.  I think I live on the wrong side of the globe.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Time to get dressed, eat, gather misc. stuff, make a picnic lunch, and go!  But first...

Coffee!

Safe travels!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes. Yes, I can. Le sigh of contentment. That's the absolutely most perfect vacation ever right there.

• Like 4

I am still recovering from yesterday. Around ten in the morning, I ran out of steam. Determination got me through the rest of the work day, and then I went home. But I had to stop for a coke to see me through the rest of the celebration with family and so forth, which was really nice. But I got home, went to bed, and I really didn't rouse much until around eight this morning. I was that worn out. Going to take it relatively easy for the next two days if I can: lots of writing, reading, and low-intensity chores, cooking, etc.

• Like 9

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Happy Christmas Sunday. We are having a combined service at church and no Sunday School. That makes me very happy. We get to sleep in and there’s better music.

We got our internet connection back last night and finished the movie. I love that movie. It is hilarious!!

Nothing much going on today. Just church. I think I will take middle DD to the Afsa. She wanted to get Christmas gifts for her sisters. How can you say “no” to That? The Atmospheric River is supposed to come today. Right now the sky is clear and beautiful.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Happy Christmas Sunday. We are having a combined service at church and no Sunday School. That makes me very happy. We get to sleep in and there’s better music.

We got our internet connection back last night and finished the movie. I love that movie. It is hilarious!!

Nothing much going on today. Just church. I think I will take middle DD to the Afsa. She wanted to get Christmas gifts for her sisters. How can you say “no” to That? The Atmospheric River is supposed to come today. Right now the sky is clear and beautiful.

Take that atmospheric river away  from us!  News reports yesterday said that it was “the gloomiest day on record “. I wonder how they measure that?

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Take that atmospheric river away  from us!  News reports yesterday said that it was “the gloomiest day on record “. I wonder how they measure that?

Light levels?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maize said:

Ds14's voice is sounding so deep lately...

Everyone comments lately on ds12's voice doing the same.   His little bitty mustache is what gets me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Wait, it's afternoon, isn't it?

Not here it isn't 🙂

and hey, it's always morning somewhere.

how's the pamphlet doing?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, maize said:

Not here it isn't 🙂

and hey, it's always morning somewhere.

how's the pamphlet doing?

Cheeto is the sweetest, bestest baby ever. 🥰😍

Of course, I'm biased, and I say that about all my babies. 😁

He's getting big, and sleeping better, and actually waking up for twenty minutes or so at a time. He holds my hand when he nurses. I'm in love.

IMG_06731.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I came here to hide from all the education threads popping up like a crop of mushrooms after a rain. 🤣

Well, I do enjoy a good academic philosophy debate like anyone else, but what bugs me (and this does not pertain to any particular current thread, because i’m Not really reading them) is parents who have smart/cooperative/driven/interested children and use that as proof that their educational philosophy/methodology is the best because look at what their kids are doing. I remember being so irritated by these moms who brag at how their homes are “strewn with living books” and blah, blah, blah.. interest lead.... blah, blah, blah and i’m Thinking, yeah, my house is strewn with books, too, and they are used as roads for Hotwheels.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4