Menu

What's with the ads?

2 hours ago, Slache said:

"It's up to the parents to decide when to tell this to their children. This is not your place." But maybe worded better.

We do not santa but my kids know not to say anything.

But if I say that in front of the other kids, it pretty much gives the game away for all of them.  I basically said nothing so neither confirmed nor denied.  

ETA:  Ugh, a Santa Clause isn't real booya? Really?

I am 1000% done with today.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

But if I say that in front of the other kids, it pretty much gives the game away for all of them.  I basically said nothing so neither confirmed nor denied.  

ETA:  Ugh, a Santa Clause isn't real booya? Really?

I am 1000% done with today.

That's good, but I would have done it in private. I remember adults claiming to believe in Santa when it was called into question.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Apparently everything is my fault today.  So.much.drama.

And my kids are praying for twin girls...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I had the Santa issue when I taught a mixed-grade (4th-6th) elementary class.  One of the 4th graders still believed in Santa.  He was near tears when one of the kids said that Santa didn't exist.  IIRC, it wasn't Christmastime, but there was something in a textbook that brought up the discussion.  I *think* that I said something like, "We're not going to talk about that right now," and then moved ahead with the lesson.  Later, I took the child out in the hallway privately and told him that some people believe in Santa and some don't and that he should talk to his mom about it.  I sent a note home to his mom to describe what happened in class and let it up to her whether she would have him keep believing or not.

One thing that complicated the issue was that this child's parents had told him that Santa Clause was God's helper.  I was not about to step into that discussion.

• Like 4

Apparently Dh had two five year-olds go at it over Santa during Children's Church last Sunday.   One could not get over the "lie!" being told during church, and the other was about to slug him in defense of Mr. Claus.   Dh couldn't stop laughing about it as he told me the story.  We'd share it with the moms, but Slugger's mom probably wouldn't appreciate the humor in it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Apparently Dh had two five year-olds go at it over Santa during Children's Church last Sunday.   One could not get over the "lie!" being told during church, and the other was about to slug him in defense of Mr. Claus.   Dh couldn't stop laughing about it as he told me the story.  We'd share it with the moms, but Slugger's mom probably wouldn't appreciate the humor in it. 

So they were essentially imitating St. Nicholas at the Council of Nicaea.  Well done, boys!  :laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Shopping done, inversion table dragged into the house and ready to be hidden somewhere in these here 659 sq ft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

All the noise, noise, noise, noise, noise.

:)  It will be ok.  All the little whos are going to bed in a couple of hours.

• Like 5

My FIL has come to see the new baby, and he's offering to buy the kids Christmas presents while he's here. Dave and I decided to ask for 2 tablets with sturdy cases for the kids to share. We want to use them for educational apps, ebooks, maybe music or audiobooks. I'm not up on tablets, but I'm hoping we can get ones that will also allow the kids to play Prodigy Math Game, too, so it would have to be able to have parental locks or something put on the internet. We don't do Mac products (long story). What kind of tablets do we want? What kind of cases so the tablets last?

Go!

• Like 4

Junie, haven't you told them it's your job to ruin their lives every day? It's what loving mothers do.

Susan, do you have a way to put a camera on the bottom of your van to find out if the caps are being lost or really are being stolen? Have you considered trolls? I'm sorry. That's a bummer.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My FIL has come to see the new baby, and he's offering to buy the kids Christmas presents while he's here. Dave and I decided to ask for 2 tablets with sturdy cases for the kids to share. We want to use them for educational apps, ebooks, maybe music or audiobooks. I'm not up on tablets, but I'm hoping we can get ones that will also allow the kids to play Prodigy Math Game, too, so it would have to be able to have parental locks or something put on the internet. We don't do Mac products (long story). What kind of tablets do we want? What kind of cases so the tablets last?

Go!

We have Kindle Fires and Gymnast was able to play Prodigy on it (there is a browser). But, I don't think the browser is on the kids' side, but the parent's. Audiobooks and apps and such can be added to the child's side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Go!

We have a Samsung that's lasted for years and does all the things. I would have rather had an iPad. What about one tablet tablet and one kindle paperwhite?

• Thanks 1

Aaaaaannnnnnnd . . . . . . . . We're done!  Last rehearsal/performance of the year.  Kids played well (youth orchestra). Treats were enjoyed by all.  (Well, we do have to sing and play at FIL's church on Christmas Eve, but I'm pretending that the service will be snowed out.)

Tomorrow must be spent buying groceries for the next 2 weeks, starting on MIL's slippers (dd13's project, really), finding dd10 a coat, and mailing gifts to family members.

Sweet dreams, everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Slache, Now how did you know I was kettchuping? Are you spying on me?

Bookie, I am sorry about your mom. I am praying for you and your family. 

Tablets: don't shoot me/be shocked. All 3 of our older/middle kids have Samsung tablets. I will try to link to the cases we have. And it has the name of tablets we bought. Scotsman added sd cards for more storage. He has a parental controls app on his phone. He is asleep but I will ask him what it is tomorrow for you. We have been very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VJBGDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ds9: "what are you doing, mom?"

Me: "wrapping Christmas books from Grandma. Don't look."

Dd11:  "Then why are you doing it in the middle of the living room floor?!"

I really am terrible at keeping Christmas presents secret. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I was able to change the date of a payment so we can have Christmas presents now. The kids did all their shopping/wrapping today. Amazon order with gifts from Uni Boy has been placed. Everything is arriving Thursday. This is looking better than I thought it was going to be.

The Girl: Why aren't we putting the gifts under the tree?

Me: Captain.

The Girl: Right. I forgot.

Also she is having a PJ/Movie Christmas Party Friday night. She is very excited. I even bought her new pj's for it. We are doing a few games then watching The Muppet Christmas Carol and eating cookies and popcorn. Anyone whose daughter is close by is welcome to come. Just bring a pillow/blankie and wear pj's! The boys can hang out with my guys.

Christmas Eve some friends of ours have invited us over for dinner. Christmas Day a different friend of mine who has no one to spend Christmas with is coming over. I have no idea what we will eat. Ya'll got ideas? No seafood.

My sister and her family of 4 are coming to our house the day after Christmas for food. Usually, she cooks as she is a MUCH better cook than I am! (And I am not being mean to myself. She is really good!) We are having ham (Scotsman's request), mashed taters, fresh (hopefully) green beans, butternut squash (my request), and cranberry sauce. I'm not doing a glaze on the ham as we both have picky eaters. She is doing her yummy deviled eggs and rolls. We are making 3 kinds of pie: The Girl wanted to make a simple chocolate pudding pie, Scotsman is doing his apple crisp "pie", and I am doing pumpkin. There will be 12 of us but likely ASD Boy won't eat anything and Captain might nibble. The CostCo ham I bought is a bone in spiral cut weighing in at a bit over 10lbs. Is that enough?

And I think eating dairy is making my ears itch inside. I ate pizza the other night and was up all night with super itchy ears. They are better but still itchy. Is that a real thing or just a coincidence?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, maize said:

Ds9: "what are you doing, mom?"

Me: "wrapping Christmas books from Grandma. Don't look."

Dd11:  "Then why are you doing it in the middle of the living room floor?!"

I really am terrible at keeping Christmas presents secret. 

That reminds me that we are supposed to get with my aunt and uncle for the annual Barnes and Noble gift card and book gift exchange.

• Like 3

EdPo: This might be one for the sea so let me know if I need to go swim.

Quiet Boy has done the first chapter of BJU Pre-Alg. He has faithfully watched every video and done every assignment well. BUT he has had to retake the quizzes and now the test 3 times to pass them. He says he undertsands just fine when the guy explains it and when he is doing the lesson, but he can't remember how to do it on the quizzes and tests sometimes even with looking at book. He says he can't recognize what he is looking at. I told him he needs to do more practice on each lesson. Do I have him go back through the chapter and do all the problems which were not assigned the first time or just move forward? I can't afford more books at this point, but I really need him to be/feel successful moving forward.

And it is SO obvious he has zero conceptual understanding and that BJU provides zero conceptual understanding/connections. I feel like a failure in that one. Too late now for the older kids. 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Go!

Our kids have the kids package Amazon Fire tablets.  They come with super sturdy cases AND 2 years of guaranteed returns for any reason.  Both kids have had theirs replaced at least once for no cost at all (dd's has been replaced twice).   They can be set up to get Google Play store apps so there's a larger variety of things to select from.   I believe there are more parental controls that are easier to set up on the kids versions as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Humph Day!  I cannot wait for this week to be over.   I"m really looking forward to some time off.  I know I was just off for Thanksgiving, but that didn't feel like a break.  Partially because of everything that needed to be done, partially because MIL was here all week.   This upcoming break we will be seeing family of course, but I'll also have time to just relax and have some quiet time.  I do have work to do, but not that much.  Okay, I have a TON of work to do, but I'll be able to do it in peace and quiet.

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

Lots of items have been crossed off this week's to-do list.  Apparently I've been more productive than I thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Slache said:

We have a Samsung that's lasted for years and does all the things. I would have rather had an iPad. What about one tablet tablet and one kindle paperwhite?

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Slache, Now how did you know I was kettchuping? Are you spying on me?

Bookie, I am sorry about your mom. I am praying for you and your family. 

Tablets: don't shoot me/be shocked. All 3 of our older/middle kids have Samsung tablets. I will try to link to the cases we have. And it has the name of tablets we bought. Scotsman added sd cards for more storage. He has a parental controls app on his phone. He is asleep but I will ask him what it is tomorrow for you. We have been very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VJBGDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hmmm, do I need to start looking at Samsung tablets?...

I was able to change the date of a payment so we can have Christmas presents now. The kids did all their shopping/wrapping today. Amazon order with gifts from Uni Boy has been placed. Everything is arriving Thursday. This is looking better than I thought it was going to be.

The Girl: Why aren't we putting the gifts under the tree?

Me: Captain.

The Girl: Right. I forgot.

This reminds of the year I had a tree and put the kiddie bench in front of it so Gymnast and the other daycare kids would leave it alone.

This is what I got: 

IMG009.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Quiet Boy has done the first chapter of BJU Pre-Alg. He has faithfully watched every video and done every assignment well. BUT he has had to retake the quizzes and now the test 3 times to pass them. He says he undertsands just fine when the guy explains it and when he is doing the lesson, but he can't remember how to do it on the quizzes and tests sometimes even with looking at book. He says he can't recognize what he is looking at. I told him he needs to do more practice on each lesson. Do I have him go back through the chapter and do all the problems which were not assigned the first time or just move forward? I can't afford more books at this point, but I really need him to be/feel successful moving forward.

And it is SO obvious he has zero conceptual understanding and that BJU provides zero conceptual understanding/connections. I feel like a failure in that one. Too late now for the older kids. 

I don't know.  That's really tough.  Would having you "at elbow" more to narrate through what he's doing or what he's thinking help?  (I know your time is at a premium, I just don't know what else to suggest!)

• Like 3

Good morning!

Itchy ears!!  O the agony!  I would definitely be insane by now.

Gymnast! :wub:

I have no experience with tablets.  I have an iPad from 2012.  It is stil working pretty much though I can't update the iOS or whatever that is any more.

As much work as I have to get done this week, I am dreading next week's "week off".  I am going to pretend that going to the post office and grocery stores today are a nice, relaxing vacation.  I need to leave in 2 minutes but am still in my bathrobe.  Prolly should Pantz. 

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

This morning we’re going to my Aunt’s house for Coffee Break. DD has a dentist appointment. Maybe I’m over reacting, but she’s got a tooth that just started coming in really high up on her gum. The baby tooth it’s supposed to replace isn’t even loose. It just looks really wrong to me, so I made an appointment.

Our bell choir is playing at the local Retirement Home and then I have to run to church for the last Awana. I’m tired just thinking about it, and I am in the midst of cleaning up a mess for one of my high school students. It’s too hard to explain and even if I could, it’s really not worth it. Suffice it to say, I was very naive in dealing with the situation (yes, I learned my lesson) and now I’m trying to salvage it and putting waaay to much work into it. And I don’t even know if I’m doing it right.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

What does this chapter cover?

Do you understand it conceptually yourself? If so, can you sit with him and do the conceptual teaching? Whether he has been taught conceptually before is less important than what kind of teaching he is getting now--adolescence is a great time for new insights and new connections.

If you struggle with conceptual understanding yourself (because many of us were never taught that way) can you search for YouTube videos on the topic and find some with conceptual explanations?

I would not move forward if he is floundering in understanding in the first chapter, I would find it where the floundering is happening and dig down as deeply as needed to address it.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Could you look at the test or quiz ahead of time and create a sort of practice test by making up your own problems from each concept covered and do it as a review the day before and allow him to use the text as a reminder of how to do them?

• Like 2

I have a breast infection. I'm laid out on the couch with my baby, miserable and whimpering. And our heat went out. Fortunately, the landlord is pretty fast to respond to heating or water emergencies, so that part's fixed now, but I have a bone deep chill that even many blankets can't fix.

I'm all done with this week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

And I think eating dairy is making my ears itch inside. I ate pizza the other night and was up all night with super itchy ears. They are better but still itchy. Is that a real thing or just a coincidence?

I get itchy ears when I get dehydrated, so I don't think it's coincidence. Itchy ears are thing. Listen to the ears. (no pun intended...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

How did I miss these two tiny little words?

1 hour ago, maize said:

I would not move forward if he is floundering in understanding in the first chapter, I would find it where the floundering is happening and dig down as deeply as needed to address it.

I agree with this. I personally struggled in math. I didn't understand why I was doing what I was doing and instead compensated by trying to memorize formulas and when/where to plug in numbers. It wasn't long before there were just too many formulas for me to remember and I became completely overwhelmed. 

• Like 2

And I haven’t had time to read everything yet. But I will get back to responding once Captain is down for nap time.

• Like 2

Morning. MRI results didn't show anything in my shoulder, but which I take it that the structures found there were pretty much normal. So after a billion tests, no one knows why I have a lump of something in my shoulder that causes that side of my neck to swell up. But it's not cancer.

I'm going to call it George and say it's my internal editor.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I have a breast infection. I'm laid out on the couch with my baby, miserable and whimpering. And our heat went out. Fortunately, the landlord is pretty fast to respond to heating or water emergencies, so that part's fixed now, but I have a bone deep chill that even many blankets can't fix.

I'm all done with this week.

Ouch! I chewed holes in so many washcloths whilst nursing through double mastitis. Unpleasant!

• Sad 5

If that's just the first chapter, I'd just have him repeat the chapter and use the unassigned problems for the lesson work. I'd also reassure him that "failed quizzes" are not a sign of failure. They are simply saying that he's got things to learn, and that's fine. Don't panic. It's okay. 

It's also not unusual to struggle more at the outset of something new, and it's not abnormal to "not get it" when the concepts are fairly new, and/or involve things that weren't previously mastered. It's also (sadly) not uncommon for a young man at a certain age to struggle with recall of things that they absolutely "knew" the day before. I spent a lot of time reassuring my guys that their brains weren't broken, simply short-circuiting at times, and that they would get through that if they could be patient and "relearn" things when they needed to. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and fwiw, we don't Santa either. We taught (and will continue to teach) that Christmas is when we celebrate the birth of Jesus. As for Santa, we read about St Nicholas and explain that sometimes to remember great people, we write stories and cartoons about them and over time they can get further and further from what is true. Our children know that other children will eventually be told by their parents that Santa isn't real, but it's not our place to tell them. Oldest did once ask though, "If Santa isn't real, how do we suddenly have so many more presents under the tree when I wake up on Christmas morning?" It never occurred to me how my procrastinating wrapping all the gifts until late Christmas Eve would be interpreted by a child. 🤦

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

If that's just the first chapter, I'd just have him repeat the chapter and use the unassigned problems for the lesson work. I'd also reassure him that "failed quizzes" are not a sign of failure. They are simply saying that he's got things to learn, and that's fine. Don't panic. It's okay. 

It's also not unusual to struggle more at the outset of something new, and it's not abnormal to "not get it" when the concepts are fairly new, and/or involve things that weren't previously mastered. It's also (sadly) not uncommon for a young man at a certain age to struggle with recall of things that they absolutely "knew" the day before. I spent a lot of time reassuring my guys that their brains weren't broken, simply short-circuiting at times, and that they would get through that if they could be patient and "relearn" things when they needed to. 

Critter, you are amazing! I remember this stage but it's been a while since we've been there and will be even longer before we're there again. I'm going to copy, paste, and print this in bookmark form to serve as an encouraging reminder for the years ahead.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm going to call it George and say it's my internal editor.

Sorry I laughed, but I'm picturing Curious George sitting on your shoulder as you attempt to write 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All I can see is WHITE when I look out the windows! The wind is blowing and snow is coming down so fast, it's all you can see! Everything is covered outside. The furnace is running nonstop like a champ, though, so life is good. 19° and steadily dropping.

Hmm. I just got an idea! Snowcream for dessert tonight!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I bought Christmas stamps at the post office despite not having Christmas cards or letter in my possession.  Hope springs eternal!  :laugh:

I was putting groceries on the checkout thing at Aldi and dropped the container of Greek yogurt on the floor, breaking the lid and squirting yogurt all over.  Sigh.  The Aldi guy didn't even miss a beat - he opened the next register, called another employee, and had the yogurt cleaned up in about 30 seconds.  Meanwhile, a customer behind me sent her daughter back to get me a new yogurt. :wub:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4