Menu

What's with the ads?

Everything I know about Playster I already posted. Sorry. Both Playster and Audible can be cancelled without issue, so I don't think you'll wind up with buyers remorse either way.

Audiobook booya! Shopping booya! Booya booya!

Booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

Ok, I don't know what happened to my multi-quote post, but I was only on the first one so...

1. Audible: it depends on what type of listener you are. I have found out that for us, children's books get listened to a lot; nonfiction, adult books do not. I was having trouble getting my book reading in so thought Audible would help. I find than my brain actually starts tuning out the book. So, I've cancelled it once again. We have a great Audible library that is well-listened to - children's books (picture and chapter, English and Spanish), as well as the dramatized Bible in Spanish. The other great books I got for myself...well they're there. You can exchange them within a certain time period, but I didn't know that until it was too late. I say start a trial, and find out what type of books your brain will actually tune into. Then you can determine if it is worth for you. For us it isn't, because the books we normally listen to are well under $15. Oh! A credit will even purchase the higher-priced books. I have a couple of Great Courses on the list that way (that have been on the list for years and I've never listened to. Good intentions and all...)

2. I'm with Toto. Cute, but I don't want one.

3. Next week is the last week for English and Spanish classes for me. I'm taking a complete break from teaching. Yay!

That's all I can remember from my multi-quote...

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Slache said:

I don't disagree with Maize, but the deals absolutely aren't what they used to be and $15 is a lot of money for 1 book. If Playster doesn't work out we'll probably get a year's audible membership.

It depends on the price of the book. Some are over $20. $15 isn't a lot to pay for it. Now, if you're cheap like me who likes to buy $2 audiobooks, then yeah it'll be too much. And I know you're like me. 😄 I do have some books though that cost more than $15, that I listened to!

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh is having arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday.  My mother is driving him since I have classes.  We're trying to get it in before the new year so we don't have to pay our deductible again.  We only owe $10 and it's done.    But that's the day of the 4-H leaders social.  We were both planning to go but he definitely can't the day he's having surgery.  He thinks I should go but I feel l conflicted about leaving him home to go.  The kids will be here and can fetch stuff for him, but if he needs help getting up, neither of them are really strong enough to help with that.   I still might go if it was closer but it's about 45 minutes away.   I also kind of don't really want to go without him.  I'm not the most social person in the world, especially in groups of people I don't know well.  I mean, some of them I do know quite well and I would definitely have people to sit with and talk to, but my introvert self kind of dreads it.

Go with your gut. Stay home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have come to another decision: I am not making a holidays around the world unit this year (either). I'm buying one from Teachers Pay Teachers.

Phew! No more pressure.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Huh? I had no idea you can use digit sums to check multidigit multiplication! I learned how with Oldest today. He likes this way of checking waaay better than switching the factors and doing a whole other math problem. Why didn't I learn this nifty little trick when I was in elementary? Oh, yeah. Because they didn't teach it! I really want to laser glare my fourth grade math teacher right now for withholding information that would've made life easier.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Renai said:

Ok, I don't know what happened to my multi-quote post, but I was only on the first one so...

1. Audible: it depends on what type of listener you are. I have found out that for us, children's books get listened to a lot; nonfiction, adult books do not. I was having trouble getting my book reading in so thought Audible would help. I find than my brain actually starts tuning out the book. So, I've cancelled it once again. We have a great Audible library that is well-listened to - children's books (picture and chapter, English and Spanish), as well as the dramatized Bible in Spanish. The other great books I got for myself...well they're there. You can exchange them within a certain time period, but I didn't know that until it was too late. I say start a trial, and find out what type of books your brain will actually tune into. Then you can determine if it is worth for you. For us it isn't, because the books we normally listen to are well under $15. Oh! A credit will even purchase the higher-priced books. I have a couple of Great Courses on the list that way (that have been on the list for years and I've never listened to. Good intentions and all...)

2. I'm with Toto. Cute, but I don't want one.

3. Next week is the last week for English and Spanish classes for me. I'm taking a complete break from teaching. Yay!

That's all I can remember from my multi-quote...

I think this would be me as well.  But it's actually dh and ds who are interested since they have a commute they could make use of.  Dh is definitely more of an audio guy (I'm definitely visual).  It will be interesting to see if ds enjoys listening or not.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I think this would be me as well.  But it's actually dh and ds who are interested since they have a commute they could make use of.  Dh is definitely more of an audio guy (I'm definitely visual).  It will be interesting to see if ds enjoys listening or not.  

Has he ever checked out Sermon Audio? That would keep him busy!

• Like 1

Audiobooks make me fall asleep.  Or my mind wanders and I miss half of it.  We have story time every day, but I gave up on audiobooks a long time ago - we have a serious lack of auditory learners in this house.

Dd21 is home. :wub:

How many dishtowels do you think I can embroider today?  I'm going for 2 (very simple patterns).

More coffee!  Then more water!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think I want Uncle Josh's outline maps. Talk me out of it.

What year was it published?  Is it current?  Do you already have reproducible maps or can you get them elsewhere (the internet) for free?

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

You're doing it wrong.

I was eating potato chips.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

What year was it published?  Is it current?  Do you already have reproducible maps or can you get them elsewhere (the internet) for free?

I was eating potato chips.

Current, none as nice.

Pass da chips! Please.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renai said:

1. Audible: it depends on what type of listener you are. I have found out that for us, children's books get listened to a lot; nonfiction, adult books do not. I was having trouble getting my book reading in so thought Audible would help. I find than my brain actually starts tuning out the book.

50 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Audiobooks make me fall asleep.  Or my mind wanders and I miss half of it.  We have story time every day, but I gave up on audiobooks a long time ago - we have a serious lack of auditory learners in this house.

Dd21 is home. :wub:

How many dishtowels do you think I can embroider today?  I'm going for 2 (very simple patterns).

More coffee!  Then more water!

This is me and my kids.  Our minds just wander away.  It was clear when they were pretty young that the kids weren't auditory learners.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think I want Uncle Josh's outlie maps. Talk me out of it.

I almost did when I bought our Trailguide you recommended, but I couldn't decide between the CD and the physical book. I ended up purchasing and downloading the notebook since it has the exact maps needed from Josh's Outline Book AND the Trailguide questions already printed for Oldest to answer. It was just easier. Sorry, I'm no help at all. 😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I almost did when I bought our Trailguide you recommended, but I couldn't decide between the CD and the physical book. I ended up purchasing and downloading the notebook since it has the exact maps needed from Josh's Outline Book AND the Trailguide questions already printed for Oldest to answer. It was just easier. Sorry, I'm no help at all. 😂

:ohmy:

• Haha 1

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

Did you not already know this? You're the one who linked me or I'd have never known. 😂

No. I didn't care to look at those until your post.

Now I need $35.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

No. I didn't care to look at those until your post.

Now I need $35.

You can purchase just the elementary, middle school, or high school notebook individually for less than $15.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

You can purchase just the elementary, middle school, or high school notebook individually for less than $15.

Between the two I'm using all 3 levels because John is tackling both middle and high. He's a nerd.

• Like 1

He's cute.

I don't think he's done anything but nurse since birth, and I had forgotten how toe-curlingly sensitive certain body parts are! Other than that, Cheeto and I are healthy and happy. He has eyes, too, I just haven't been able to get a picture.

20191213_131914.jpg

20191213_131938.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

He's cute.

I don't think he's done anything but nurse since birth, and I had forgotten how toe-curlingly sensitive certain body parts are! Other than that, Cheeto and I are healthy and happy. He has eyes, too, I just haven't been able to get a picture.

20191213_131914.jpg

20191213_131938.jpg

:wub:

• Like 2

So who else is hoping to manage the family budget better with the new year?

I used to be super frugal and good at budgeting and tracking. I had to be when we lived in California, it was all we could do to afford rent on a basic apartment and there wasn't much left for anything other than food.

Our income has gone up since then and we are in a lower cost of living area but life has gotten so darned complicated; lots of kids, lots of activities, lots of medical expenses, and very little time. I've slipped badly on budgeting and need to get things a bit more under control.

Specifically I'd like to get grocery costs down; we eat a lot of food and that isn't going to change but I could do a lot better with meal planning. Sales tax on food is going up significantly in January here (we've had discounted sales tax for groceries and they are raising it to match the regular sales tax) which actually comes out to a fair chunk.

• Sad 6

11 minutes ago, maize said:

With all these adorable pictures, now I'm starting to want one...

Well, they say Eight is Enough, so you could do one more and then avoid cute pictures until you're older... and then you should get some grandbabies! 🙂

Me, I'm admiring the li'l pamphlet and going oh, a newborn whose clothes fit without rolling up the sleeves, wow! ❤️ But I'm not tempted; our baby stuff is long gone.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, maize said:

I used to be super frugal and good at budgeting and tracking. I had to be when we lived in California, it was all we could do to afford rent on a basic apartment and there wasn't much left for anything other than food.

Our income has gone up since then and we are in a lower cost of living area but life has gotten so darned complicated; lots of kids, lots of activities, lots of medical expenses, and very little time. I've slipped badly on budgeting and need to get things a bit more under control.

Specifically I'd like to get grocery costs down; we eat a lot of food and that isn't going to change but I could do a lot better with meal planning. Sales tax on food is going up significantly in January here (we've had discounted sales tax for groceries and they are raising it to match the regular sales tax) which actually comes out to a fair chunk.

Ask about my referral links for Plan to Eat, Walmart Grocery Pickup and YNAB. :biggrin:

Now, seriously...

Meal planning, batch cooking and grocery pickup. If I could afford not Wal-Mart I would go to not Wal-Mart, but I can't afford not Wal-Mart so we go to Wal-mart.

YNAB (You need a budget) has been invaluable with the insanity of our move. I highly recommend it (highly!) but it's $84/yr. Have you considered a spreadsheet?

• Like 2

Part of our budget for next year will include more money direct-deposited into savings accounts.  Partially to replace what we had to shell out on van repairs this week and also just to put more into short-term "emergency" savings.  We are also going to have to just budget in money to regularly send the in-laws so they can eat and buy their medications - we have usually just moved budgeted or misc. spending money around to deal with their emergencies.

• Like 2

Dh's company had the stupidest "mandatory" Christmas fun today.  They made everyone drive into the industrial outskirts of The Big City, park at some warehouse and take a shuttlebus to a nondescript restaurant to have coffee, punch, and cookies.  A jazz trio was playing.  They had some announcement of accomplishments that everyone knew about and then they all had to take the shuttlebus back to their cars at the warehouse and then drive back to the office for over an hour through rush-hour traffic.  I'm sorry, but who hired these marketing imbeciles? 

• Confused 3

21 minutes ago, maize said:

Yes. I also used to do better budgeting and meal planning. I got PLan to Eat to help with meal planning and Every Dollar for budgeting. I hear it takes 3 months to balance the budget.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Well, they say Eight is Enough, so you could do one more and then avoid cute pictures until you're older... and then you should get some grandbabies! 🙂

Me, I'm admiring the li'l pamphlet and going oh, a newborn whose clothes fit without rolling up the sleeves, wow! ❤️ But I'm not tempted; our baby stuff is long gone.

Never say never. All our baby stuff had been long gone for years and then we found out we were expecting Youngest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

I'm already feeling Older, I turn 42 next spring.

We may end up with one more, I've been on the fence ever since ds2 was born.

It's pregnancy that I dread.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm already feeling Older, I turn 42 next spring.

We may end up with one more, I've been on the fence ever since ds2 was born.

It's pregnancy that I dread.

Dude! Like... dude. Yeah.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Never say never. All our baby stuff had been long gone for years and then we found out we were expecting Youngest.

That would be a cool trick, and my mom did it at an older age than I am, but I really don't want to. (I'm older than many here, including Maize, & my surprise baby sister turns 18 tomorrow!)

• Like 6

Whitehawk, I bet we are closer in age.

I was older than Maize when Captain was born. The pregnancy was great, well, not the few weeks of all day sickness and the last 2 where I contemplated 'drastic measures' to get him out! But the middle was good. Delivery is a whole other story. Scotsman and my body say we are done.

Bookie, if I came to visit, could I hold Cheeto, maybe? I've had all my shots!

Edited by Paradox5
formatting
  • Like 3

Today was just felt plain wierd. I spent the day in my pj's and finally got my shower about 7pm. 

Dinner was lentil chili and lemon-blueberry 'cake' (muffin recipe made in my 10x10 pan). Captain cried at every bite, cried when Scotsman tried to hold him, then cried eating his cake. He was up at 6am, didn't take a nap, and is still sick.

Everyone got school done. I'm debating having Quiet Boy write the BJU history essays or not. On the one hand he needs the practice, on the other, the questions aren't very good or overtly religious to the point of not relating to the history lesson. Lots of value judgements. (Yep it's a fragment, I know.)

Edited by Paradox5
spelling errors and typos
  • Sad 2

You're all invited to visit and hold Cheeto! He's a squishable lil bundle of babiness and joy. And I might be a bit drunk on love hormones. 🥰

Seriously, I would have a dozen if I didn't have to do labor. It seems like each pregnancy and labor gets harder. Fortunately, recovery gets easier, because Dave and I finally figured out a good rhythm while I'm down so everyone gets what they need and I actually get rest. I told him if he wants any more, he's having the next one. There is something incredibly attractive about a man so besotted by his child, though. 

The family budget is definitely an area of work in progress for 2020, along with getting below the obese range, if possible. I think our word for the year is Health. I'm not looking to win any awards, but getting to a healthy place in the different areas of life would be wonderful.

• Like 8

SInce I'm 50 years old, had my tubes tied and had an ablation, I'm pretty sure there's no chance of any more babies for me.  Which is just fine.    Oldest is 25 and her and her current boyfriend have been talking about engagement and marriage, so grandbabies may not be that far off. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I would have babies forever if I could. I don't have the grace. Or the body. I enjoy my kids so much when they're not loud. I could have 20 if they were quiet. My back hurts.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

That would be a cool trick, and my mom did it at an older age than I am, but I really don't want to. (I'm older than many here, including Maize, & my surprise baby sister turns 18 tomorrow!)

A 20+yr sibling age difference?! No way, no how is that even happening here. Trophy for Whitehawk's Mom!🏆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had to rework the entire menu because now my husband wants chili. :dry:

My father-in-law is 7 years younger than his brother who is 7 years younger than his brother. Three boys in 21 years. My father-in-law shared a bedroom with my uncle in law who was a med student. He still talks about some interesting experiences which I believed scarred him and made him who he is today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1