Menu

Good morning!  Lynn, you're right!  First coffee of 2020!  My night wasn't complete until I hear Barbara Walters say, "I'm Barbara Walters and THIS is 2020."

BOOYA!

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 199.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Cardiologist report: this doc was a major answer to prayer. He was appalled at the lack of communication from the previous doctor and apologized profusely even though it wasn't his fault. Dd's heart

Posted Images

I am still in my pj's, but boxed up the Advent plates and mugs and Advent drawers and calendar.  Now working on vegetarian meals for this week and spring meal recipes/cooking schedule.  It should be in the 50's later today, so we'll go hiking after lunch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is my basement bathroom floor.

When we moved in, the bathroom was just a toilet and sink with the furnace and water heater out in the open. A couple of years ago we hired someone to put in a shower, add stacking washer/dryer hookups, and build a cabinet around the furnace and water heater. When that was done, I bought some stick-on vinyl tiles for the floor and started installing them over the concrete--then I had a baby before I could finish and... The project has been left undone. This week I came across the box of leftover vinyl tiles and decided it was a good time to finish the floor. Which I mostly did but it turns out I am a few tiles short and that style is no longer available.

What is left is basically a narrow strip at each end of the room, I think I'm just going to get contrasting tiles and poor them there. Any ideas on what you would pick? Dark? Light? Patterned? Plain?

This is obviously not a high end flooring job 🙂

IMG_20200101_093910682.jpg

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Happy New Year, everyone!

Had a good day yesterday. Three and a half hour breakfast with old friend. Such a good talk. Hour and a half at Hobby Lovby -80% off Christmas stuff. There wasn’t much left, but I got some gift bags, a big roll of wrapping paper and some bags of bows, so I am pretty happy. Put that away till next year. Last night we went to a party. There were 6 families. And as I sat there talking with the women, then men were chatting amongst themselves and the kids were all off playing, I just realized how blessed I was to have such good people to call friends. I mean, we’re not the kind of people who get together all the time and have dinner out or go camping.... everyone is terribly busy, but when we do get together it is good and we laugh and talk and share.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, maize said:

When we moved in, the bathroom was just a toilet and sink with the furnace and water heater out in the open. A couple of years ago we hired someone to put in a shower, attacking washer/dryer hookups, and build a cabinet around the furnace and water heater. When that was done, I bought some stuck-on vinyl tiles for the floor and started installing them over the concrete--then I had a baby before I could finish and... The project has been left undone. This week I came across the box if leftover vinyl tiles and decided it was a good time to finish the floor. Which I mostly did but it turns out I am a few times short and that style is no longer available.

What is left is basically a narrow stop at each end of the room, I think I'm just going to get contrasting tiles and poor them there. Any ideas on what you would pick? Dark? Light? Patterned? Plain?

I'm really bad at colors and decorating, but I'm a sucker for a question with few replies.  😂  Anyway, I'm guessing white would be less noticeable, but maybe odd once it was noticed.  Dark would attract the eye, but look sharp.  What about a pale green similar to the paint color on the wall (at least it looks pale green in the picture) as a purposeful border?  #felpful  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I'm really bad at colors and decorating, but I'm a sucker for a question with few replies.  😂  Anyway, I'm guessing white would be less noticeable, but maybe odd once it was noticed.  Dark would attract the eye, but look sharp.  What about a pale green similar to the paint color on the wall (at least it looks pale green in the picture) as a purposeful border?  #felpful  

The walls look white to me.  Not even a trace of green.  Weird.

What do I want for dinner?  My mother is coming over and buying us pizza.  I could just have plain pizza.  Or a cheesesteak.  Or a ham and cheese calzone.   If I'm completely ignoring nutrition, what do I want?

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

What do I want for dinner?  My mother is coming over and buying us pizza.  I could just have plain pizza.  Or a cheesesteak.  Or a ham and cheese calzone.   If I'm completely ignoring nutrition, what do I want?

All of the above. :)

Actually I would go with a really good calzone -- pepperoni, sausage, peppers, mushrooms.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Just one speck of wall showing in the top of the photo looks green to me. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Neither can I without consequences.  Just good with the suggestions given for someone else.  

Well, I could eat it, but the consequences would likely be the ER...

There is actually a place kind of nearby that has gluten-free calzones that are really, really good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Update on the bathroom floor:

I went to Lowe's and it turns out they do still carry the exact same tiles, they've just been rebranded.

So I get to be boring and finish the floor with matching tile.

I did think a dark border could be interesting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Ds2 came with me too Lowe's. He was sad that he didn't get to go to the aquarium with dh and some of the older kids so after Lowe's I took him to Petco which was just as good as an aquarium for him--we saw fish, and mice, and hamsters, and a guinea pig, and a ferret, and parakeets, and a bunch of chamelions that were super active and fun to watch. We used to do that with my oldest two when they were young and we had zero money for activities--it's like a free kids' zoo.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, maize said:

Ds2 came with me too Lowe's. He was sad that he didn't get to go to the aquarium with dh and some of the older kids so after Lowe's I took him to Petco which was just as good as an aquarium for him--we saw fish, and mice, and hamsters, and a guinea pig, and a ferret, and parakeets, and a bunch of chamelions that were super active and fun to watch. We used to do that with my oldest two when they were young and we had zero money for activities--it's like a free kids' zoo.

We did that too

• Like 4
1 hour ago, maize said:

I went to Lowe's and it turns out they do still carry the exact same tiles, they've just been rebranded.

To be honest, I think it will look better uniform. I’m boring, I know.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, maize said:

Petco (or PetSmart) actually has a curriculum on their website that can be used when visting.  I used it way back when I took my Cloverbud club (K-3rd grade 4-H'ers) there on a tour.  That club we used to do one meeting on a topic, then take a field trip on the topic each month. 

• Like 3

I ended up sharing a Margherita pizza with my mother.   Any of the above options might have left me feeling uncomfortably full, but none would make me actually sick.    The pizza was okay, but mainly tasted like a plain pizza with a little basil.  I've had margherita pizza other places and it was much better.  The California Pizza Kitchen version you can buy frozen in the grocery store is better, IMO.   I'm not as happy with our delivery place lately.  I often run to the local vegan place for spring rolls and steamed dumplings when dh is planning to order pizza.  But they don't deliver so I have to actually go out and get it, and I didn't feel like doing that tonight.  

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

The cats gave me grudging permission to lay on the bed with them and read. As long as I lay still and didn’t make noise, I could stay.

I got up to go to the bathroom. Two black-and-White furry heads lifted slightly, and glared at me.  I think I will leave now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued:

Anyone use Beast Academy? I thought they were only an online thing but I just looked and they have complete curriculums that are books! I'd love to hear if this works well for anyone. Oldest is a visual learner and this certainly fits THAT bill.

I liked it a lot. Terrible fit for my kid. I can't recommend it because of the lack of review, but I generally loved it. I only used 2A.

• Like 1

We used the Beast Academy books along with Math Mammoth for my son.  They were a good supplement but I don't think they'd be good for a full program except maybe a really strongly gifted kid.  Ds is gifted, especially in math and they didn't offer enough instruction and review for him, but he's also not a kid that wants to spend a ton of time figuring out problems.  They are very puzzly, discovery method.  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued:

Anyone use Beast Academy? I thought they were only an online thing but I just looked and they have complete curriculums that are books! I'd love to hear if this works well for anyone. Oldest is a visual learner and this certainly fits THAT bill.

We use the books and like them.

Quite different from any other math curriculum, very focused on both conceptual understanding and on helping kids develop problem solving abilities. The grade three books have them doing things like toothpick shape puzzles, they can be oddly difficult to solve even for me sometimes, you just have to keep trying and I think that is the point. They don't want kids just learning a method for solving a problem, they want them to struggle through figuring things out, failing and trying again. The cartoon guide book has the characters modeling a lot of problem solving.

• Like 1

I have the beginnings of the freezer meal shopping and cooking list.  I'll start off with the giant pork shoulder roast for tacos and bbq, and roast the turkey for turkey broccoli casserole and turkey Tetrazzini, since I already have the pork roast and turkey.  If I'm lucky I can get those things done by Sunday.  I am dissatisfied that all the activities start back up this weekend and next week.  I need another week or two to get ready for the semester.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued:

We used 3 and 4 alongside MiF.  In the end we set them aside because my kiddo isn’t as mathy as I am and I realized we were doing them more for me than him.  But they were fun to read through together and helped him with quite a few conceptual understandings.  He just isn’t the puzzle it out for the fun of it type, and there were more tears than elementary math should be.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

At least they didn’t follow you in or stand at the door knocking and crying until you came out.

This is what the older cat does to me. We feed her in the bathroom to separate her from the younger cat who will snuff down the soft food the old cat needs. I can't even walk towards the bathroom without her following me around the house anymore. I usually run...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
11 hours ago, maize said:

When we moved in, the bathroom was just a toilet and sink with the furnace and water heater out in the open. A couple of years ago we hired someone to put in a shower, add stacking washer/dryer hookups, and build a cabinet around the furnace and water heater. When that was done, I bought some stick-on vinyl tiles for the floor and started installing them over the concrete--then I had a baby before I could finish and... The project has been left undone. This week I came across the box of leftover vinyl tiles and decided it was a good time to finish the floor. Which I mostly did but it turns out I am a few tiles short and that style is no longer available.

What is left is basically a narrow strip at each end of the room, I think I'm just going to get contrasting tiles and poor them there. Any ideas on what you would pick? Dark? Light? Patterned? Plain?

OCD in me would want to rip it out and lay a whole new floor.  Fun side of me says go bold with a splash of color.  Reality? My husband would be the one who decides so I don’t have to hear him complain for the next decade.  I’d still lay it down though because he’d do it wrong. 😉

Felpful?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, maize said:

Oh, phew! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The kitchen is cleaned up, cats have been shown the door(of their choice, Cleo turned up her nose when DH opened the front door for her, she prefers the kitchen door) and I am ready for bed. 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

We use them as fun Friday math and reinforcement, but I agree with everyone above. I'm also a failure as a math teacher, so take it for what it's worth.

None of that here, Missy!  😜😍😎  You're not a failure!  And, if we assume that you would like to improve, thinking that way about what you've done so far will not help you.  Don't be afraid or ashamed of your math remediation.  You can do it!

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo continued:

We used it for 3rd and 4th. It's great for reasoning skills! And the comic-book style is very attractive and fun. But DS's computation scores tanked. I wish I'd stuck with Singapore and only used BA as a supplement. It's a bit $$$ for a supplement, though.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 4

Good morning!  It's the 9th Day of Christmas!

So. Much. Rain.  The local river flooded it's banks on Sunday and now we'll have two more solid days of rain.  They did quite a bit of work on drainage systems after The Big Flood of 2010, so hopfully that will help.  We'll be watching the creek - make sure it's not getting up to our back-neighbor's yard.

The pork shoulder is in The Giant Pot.  The Youngers are semi-into their morning routine - no real lessons today, but they have regional orchestra music to learn and some misc. educational things to work on.  And chores. Ds15 is being very resistant to letting me see his revised Huckleberry Finn paper.  Dd10 is engrossed in the 4 cookbooks she got at the used bookstore yesterday - two were 75 cents and 2 were in the "free bin".  I will take dd21 to Walmart in a bit for some things she wants to pick up.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy Thursday.

We're still in vacation mode, except all the planning I get to do.  Today is a quick trip to the science center to finish working on my bulletin boards that I'm finally redoing after having it on my to-do list for a year, scraping some marshmallows off the floor that didn't come up with mopping (we did a pressure experiment and when we released it, it basically exploded and shot marshmallows everywhere.  Including a few forcefully into the floor. It was super cool but I was finding marshmallows everywhere), maybe some vacuuming and a few dishes.  I need to organize my kitchen there.

Then home to teach the kids to use the new dishwasher (they empty but they're going to learn to load), maybe go through their drawers and pull out all the stuff that doesn't fit/they don't wear since they got so much new stuff for Christmas, planning school and classes (those are ALWAYS on my to-do list until it's summer, then it's plan camps, but next year should be easier because all the classes will be already planned).  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

I only partially slept in this morning. I usually get up at 6:00, I consider sleeping past 7:00 sleeping in, but this morning I got up at 6:30 .

my lazy days of vacation are over. I have a ton of paperwork to do for work, so that is going to happen today and tomorrow.

• Like 4

Morning. I was so tired I slept until almost 8 this morning. Plus its gray and dark, and the sun didn't blind me the way it usually does. Today I'm supposed to be painting, and that's what I plan to do. Very little to no writing. I'm writing in my journal because I'd probably explode if I didn't write something every day, but now that my last novel is finished as a first draft and all my other materials (query, synopses) done for now, I could either start on another character sketch for it while I wait for line edits, or take a little time to work on painting and writing craft exercises. I opted for the latter.

• Like 7

Went through dd's drawers and pulled out 2 garbage bags full of clothes that no longer fit or she didn't like.   That's not counting the fuzzy socks that I took for myself.  I love fuzzy socks but I have super rough feet so they rip easily so I go through them fast.

Also got the results of my bloodwork from the other day.  Doctor called and said my cholesterol and LDL were high, although I don't know how high since those results don't appear to be online yet.   They were just into the high range two years ago too.  Not high enough to need meds or anything.

What got me the most is my TSH went from 1.35 two years ago to 4.35 now.  That's a pretty big jump and puts it just barely into the normal range (which was listed as 4.5).   Might explain a few things.

• Like 5

My private super-secret New Year resolution (because I never really do them) was to try to give up dairy.  So far today I have put milk in my coffee and eaten a yogurt for lunch.  I'm back to work after being off over the holidays and I am already burned out after one morning.  Asked boss if he had finalized his reorg plans yet so I could start to plan my trips, and go a "No" as a response. Okay then. I did no planning of school stuffs while on break and as a result left no work instructions with DS today other than "do the next thing," and I'm sitting here remembering he finished a book right before break so there is no next thing for reading, as I did not plan or assign a next thing.  I haven't corrected his last few math assignments and he said he was feeling unsure/stuck.  So no next thing there either.  Maybe he'll do some typing and Russian.  Who knows.  He'll probably just play Roblox all day.

This year is off to a fabulous start.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
11 minutes ago, ikslo said:

My private super-secret New Year resolution (because I never really do them) was to try to give up dairy.  So far today I have put milk in my coffee and eaten a yogurt for lunch.  I'm back to work after being off over the holidays and I am already burned out after one morning.  Asked boss if he had finalized his reorg plans yet so I could start to plan my trips, and go a "No" as a response. Okay then. I did no planning of school stuffs while on break and as a result left no work instructions with DS today other than "do the next thing," and I'm sitting here remembering he finished a book right before break so there is no next thing for reading, as I did not plan or assign a next thing.  I haven't corrected his last few math assignments and he said he was feeling unsure/stuck.  So no next thing there either.  Maybe he'll do some typing and Russian.  Who knows.  He'll probably just play Roblox all day.

Just call it a gradual start up.  Or even better, let him take off until Monday!  #Felpful

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Also, I'm thinking of the quote from the movie Airplane:  "...picked a bad week to give up _______......"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Just call it a gradual start up.  Or even better, let him take off until Monday!  #Felpful

Having off isn't the issue.  The issue was my directions to him, which in hindsight were crap.  Oh, well.  I'll just tell him it was a challenge to see what he would get accomplished on his own, LOL.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Slache said:

Mine too. I have some sort of stomach bug.

Try almond creamer.

Felpful.

My son is allergic to almonds.  We don't bring nut anything into the house.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2