Menu

What's with the ads?

We are out of potatoes. This might qualify as a culinary emergency. 

ETA:

One potato, two potato, three potato, four,

When you eat them every day, my child, there won't be any more!

Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Ugh. I'm too pregnant for this.

We all are, babe.

(((Bookie)))

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I just got a like for a post I wrote back in 2017. 

Whoops! Was it me? I wouldn't be surprised. I have been pulling up topics without thinking to look at the dates and reacting has just become as natural as breathing, thanks to ITT.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Ugh. I'm too pregnant for this.

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

We all are, babe.

(((Bookie)))

Slachie, are you pregnant, too? I think I might need to go back a page or 2 and ketchup.

Edited by Servant4Christ
Gah! Autocorrect!
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

My allergies were going berserk because of the hike we took yesterday. Although it was breathtakingly beautiful, it was also extremely dry and dusty. It hasn’t rained here since the end of May.

Here. Have some snow. A hike here would require thermal insulated rubber boots or snow shoes. Depends on where exactly you plan on stepping. The weather you describe makes me think I'm reading a fictional book for fun. I love it! Thank you! I haven't read just for the fun of it in ages because when time is available, all I want to do is sleep. I am so tired these days. Maybe I'm still adjusting to the time change.

Edited by Servant4Christ
Reduced wordage for clarification
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie, are you pregnant, too? I think I might need to go back a page or 2 and ketchup.

No, but I'm still too pregnant for today.

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

No, but I'm still too pregnant for today.

I went back and re-read the entire last page to see if I missed something and that was definitely not there. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great. I'm feeling all mac n cheesey and planning on making a big ole casserole dish full of its yummy goodness tomorrow. I am so blaming ITT if I gain all that weigh back that I recently lost. I still have 10 more pounds to lose and this certainly won't get me there! 😂

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Whoops! Was it me? I wouldn't be surprised. I have been pulling up topics without thinking to look at the dates and reacting has just become as natural as breathing, thanks to ITT.

Nope. Not you. Nobody I know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

We are out of potatoes. This might qualify as a culinary emergency. 

ETA:

One potato, two potato, three potato, four,

When you eat them every day, my child, there won't be any more!

Booyah!

You may have mine.  Pounds of them from our CSA, but my darling little knuckleheads don't like them.  What kid doesn't like potatoes?!?  Even fries.  They'll only eat Chick-fil-a fries, and prefer the fruit side dish.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

We all are, babe.

I just did my monthly test this morning*.  I.am.not.

(Which may sound weird, but my cousin had not one but TWO surprises while in full-blown menopause, and I freak out about unwittingly subjecting a baby to the various pills I now take.)

• Like 6

We eat fish fairly frequently.  Mostly salmon, tilapia or flounder.  Dh will eat swordfish or tuna or the other steak-like fishes but I don't like them.  We also eat shellfish - shrimp and crab mostly.  I eat salmon from the packets with brown or wild rice for lunch sometimes.

We eat quite a few potatoes too.  Dh LOVES potatoes.  Evidently his nana's mashed potatoes was one of his first foods.   He makes them with cauliflower mixed in to trick ds into some more veggies.  Actually I think whenever we have them he mixes meat in one bowl of potatoes, broccoli or another veggie into another bowl of potatoes, and then one bowl plain and ds has been eating them even knowing what's in them.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm glad it's Friday.  I'm kind of tired this week.  The cold, the dark, probably the hormones (definitely not pregnant hormones).  

I love my Friday classes though.  Originally I was only offering Algebra on Fridays and half figured it wouldn't even run.  Then some of the teens I've had for a year or so asked for a full year forensic class so I put that after Algebra on Fridays.  It's mostly the same kids except I had a bunch of new kids sign up for Forensics too.  Dd does Algebra, Ds does Forensics.   The forensics class is a lot of discussion, and interacting, and I love it.  The kids seem to as well since they don't rush out.  We actually went 10 minutes over today, then I told them class was over, then they still were sitting there and I told them they were allowed to go home now.   Then I left them still talking to each other.  Some left, but the ones I've known for a while stayed around talking with my kids, then I kept chatting with the parents for a while.  It was nice.  

I have a lot of K-2nd graders, a lot of 12 years old and up, and not as many 3rd through 5th/6th grades but one of my 3rd and up classes is full this year so things are growing.  

• Like 7

I'm leaving a review for our apartment. Can someone proofread?

We figured out after moving here that our AC is broken. Yes, that was present tense as it is still broken nearly a year later. Our AC ran 24 hours a day for 3 months barely keeping our apartment under 90 degrees. I filled out several maintenance requests, made several phone calls and eventually resided myself to going down to the office every day, sometimes waiting for up to half an hour to be seen by a manager who refused to make eye contact with me until they could get our temperature down to the 70s. Our home is liveable but both the maintenance staff and energy company agree that it is running far too much and needs to be repaired. In the midst of waiting for it to actually run somewhat properly I was told the maintenance requests have already been fulfilled, they have no record of a request and that it’s normal and acceptable for our apartment to be in the 90s. The energy company estimates that we spent between $700 and $950 more than necessary this past summer, which to our household means an additional 64 hours that my husband spent away from our family.

Then our kitchen plumbing backed up. For 3 months. Our kitchen sink overflowed every few hours, including throughout the night for 3 months straight. This is how I learned this manager has no idea what constitutes as an emergency. They often wouldn’t honor an overflowing sink for over a week. The maintenance staff was often baffled at what they perceived as an emergency not being seen for weeks. I had every member (I believe) of the staff recommend a plumber, but it wasn’t until I came down to the office, again this had become a daily occurrence, and commented on the problem in front of people interested in the apartment that they were willing to call a plumber. Funny how that works.

So, $700-$950 in expenses, 64 hours of extra work for my husband and 3 months of no sleep due to overflowing plumbing. But wait, there’s more!

We pay for a parking spot. That would be an additional $20 a month on top of rent, which is somehow $60 a month more than our lease states because of various fees. They have sent out emails stating that if you get towed out of a spot that you pay for they will refund you the money. This isn’t true. In order to be refunded they would have to actually be willing to speak with you about the issue, but they are not. You see, they don’t return phone calls, respond to notes left and on the off chance that the manager is in she won’t see you. She won’t even tell you that, she’ll just call in one of the workers and have them relay the message to you. So I guess we're out the towing fee as well as a day's wages equalling out to another $500.

$700-$950 in expenses, 64 hours of extra work for my husband, 3 months of no sleep due to overflowing plumbing and another $500 gone. Our counters are peeling, our walls are peeling, if it rains outside it rains inside, and they have no interest in maintaining the cockroach population. They are more than willing to spray our apartment but we are not the problem. The empty apartments next to us and below us are the problem, but they won’t spray them because “there is no need to since no one is living there.” I have been in the apartment next to us and there is absolutely a need to spray next door. It’s disgusting. But they don’t care. They don’t care about quality of life, they just care about getting paid. They also care about looking good because they hold contests for money off of rent or prizes for positive reviews on Google so I will go out of my way in saying that the layout is lovely and there’s enough closet space to keep a spare family. Please move here, it is just wonderful!

But don’t move here for the pool or the gym because the pool was closed more than half of the times I tried to go and the gym closed immediately after I moved in.

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 7

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

We figured out after moving here that our AC is broken. Yes, that was present tense as it is still broken nearly a year later. Our AC ran 24 hours a day for 3 months barely keeping our apartment under 90 degrees. I filled out several maintenance requests, made several phone calls and eventually resided myself to going down to the office every day, sometimes waiting for up to half an hour to be seen by a manager who refused to make eye contact with me until they could get our temperature down to the 70s. Our home is liveable but both the maintenance staff and energy company agree that it is running far too much and needs to be repaired. In the midst of waiting for it to actually run somewhat properly I was told the maintenance requests have already been fulfilled, they have no record of a request and that it’s normal and acceptable for our apartment to be in the 90s. The energy company estimates that we spent between $700 and $950 more than necessary this past summer, which to our household means an additional 64 hours that my husband spent away from our family.

Then our kitchen plumbing backed up. For 3 months. Our kitchen sink overflowed every few hours, including throughout the night for 3 months straight. This is how I learned this manager has no idea what constitutes as an emergency. They often wouldn’t honor an overflowing sink for over a week. The maintenance staff was often baffled at what they perceived as an emergency not being seen for weeks. I had every member (I believe) of the staff recommend a plumber, but it wasn’t until I came down to the office, again this had become a daily occurrence, and commented on the problem in front of people interested in the apartment that they were willing to call a plumber. Funny how that works.

So, $700-$950 in expenses, 64 hours of extra work for my husband and 3 months of no sleep due to overflowing plumbing. But wait, there’s more!

We pay for a parking spot. That would be an additional $20 a month on top of rent, which is somehow $60 a month more than our lease states because of various fees. They have sent out emails stating that if you get towed out of a spot that you pay for they will refund you the money. This isn’t true. In order to be refunded they would have to actually be willing to speak with you about the issue, but they are not. You see, they don’t return phone calls, respond to notes left and on the off chance that the manager is in she won’t see you. She won’t even tell you that, she’ll just call in one of the workers and have them relay the message to you. So I guess we're out the towing fee as well as a day's wages equalling out to another $500.

$700-$950 in expenses, 64 hours of extra work for my husband, 3 months of no sleep due to overflowing plumbing and another $500 gone. Our counters are peeling, our walls are peeling, if it rains outside it rains inside, and they have no interest in maintaining the cockroach population. They are more than willing to spray our apartment but we are not the problem. The empty apartments next to us and below us are the problem, but they won’t spray them because “there is no need to since no one is living there.” I have been in the apartment next to us and there is absolutely a need to spray next door. It’s disgusting. But they don’t care. They don’t care about quality of life, they just care about getting paid. They also care about looking good because they hold contests for money off of rent or prizes for positive reviews on Google so I will go out of my way in saying that the layout is lovely and there’s enough closet space to keep a spare family. Please move here, it is just wonderful!

But don’t move here for the pool or the gym because the pool was closed more than half of the times I tried to go and the gym closed immediately after I moved in.

I'd be tempted to start leaving some real reviews outlining exactly what it's really like.   Is there a local housing organization where you can put in complaints?  Sounds like much of this is actual health hazards so there should be someone you could report them to.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

I'd be tempted to start leaving some real reviews outlining exactly what it's really like.   Is there a local housing organization where you can put in complaints?  Sounds like much of this is actual health hazards so there should be someone you could report them to.

I don't know. I just want to talk to the owner. Before this new manager started everything was great. I have no reason to think that the owner would not deal with these situations immediately, but the new manager is ridiculous and going to take down this complex. I'm hoping that if I write the review someone will take notice and I will get to speak to them without taking legal action.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Slache said:

I think the bolded is a typo and should read "resigned".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Can anyone link me to the thread from a couple (few?) weeks ago that was people sharing the books they most wanted to share with others?  It was called something like "Books you loved and would most like to share with others".  or something.  I keep trying to search and whenever I go to sort by date (since it was fairly recent) I get an error message to wait 10 or 5 or 7 or 9 seconds to search again.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Can anyone link me to the thread from a couple (few?) weeks ago that was people sharing the books they most wanted to share with others?  It was called something like "Books you loved and would most like to share with others".  or something.  I keep trying to search and whenever I go to sort by date (since it was fairly recent) I get an error message to wait 10 or 5 or 7 or 9 seconds to search again.  

Post above. That was a great thread.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, maize said:

I think the bolded is a typo and should read "resigned".

Thank you! And no, that's just my bad grammar.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am going to try quinoa for the first time tonight.  Don't tell Angi.

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s not bad if you put enough ketchup on it. 

Ketchup?! Ugh. If I had enough time, I'd type in how I usually prepare it when I know someone new to or skeptical of quinoa will be eating it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

1. No.

2. What did you make?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

1. No.

2. What did you make?

I didn’t “make” anything. I tossed some gf frozen breaded cod in the oven. Then I tossed a bag of Whole Foods quinoa with veggies in the microwave. Very easy Friday night supper. I “seasoned “ it with some ketchup and tartar sauce. It might not meet everyone’s standards but it met that of my tummy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My doctor recommended I replace rice and potatoes and pasta with quinoa.  I refrained from commenting but there won't be any of that stuff in this house.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I submitted 6 more arrangements, all Christmas music.  Might be too late for this year's purchasing, but at least they're up for next year.  And last minute "I'm sure we can sight-read this" purchases.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That was a lot of ketchup.

Congratulations on birthdays and belt tests and everything else.  :)

I missed y'all.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

(((Slache))) I'm sorry your complex manager sucks.

But your simple manager is great.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

My doctor recommended I replace rice and potatoes and pasta with quinoa.  I refrained from commenting but there won't be any of that stuff in this house.  

I have tried to like that stuff so many times.

i still hate it.

• Like 2

We're finally home!  Well, dh is still at softball practice, but DC and I are home.  DD thoroughly enjoyed herself at teen night.  They were planning prom and learning to waltz.  

My friend (dd's bff's mom), ds, and I ate at Taco Bell while we waited.  Then friend and I sung Christmas songs on the way home and embarrassed the kids.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 4

So.

I failed the background check to work in the church nursery. Despite working in the nursery last week. So that's cool.

They put in someone else's social. It's an easy fix. But oops!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Good morning. Breakfast done, dishes done, laundry started, dinner started early so I don't have to do it later when things are busy, coffeeing and browsing through my Google Drive treasure trove and Rainbow Resource Catalogue til the children wake up. It's so peaceful this early in the morning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

You may have mine.  Pounds of them from our CSA, but my darling little knuckleheads don't like them.  What kid doesn't like potatoes?!?  Even fries.  They'll only eat Chick-fil-a fries, and prefer the fruit side dish.  

What about hash browns? But then, maybe it's a good thing they don't care for them. Potatoes really don't have a lot of nutritional value, just a bunch of fast carbs we're told to limit or eliminate later in life.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Slache said:

I posted the review. There are dozens just like it.

Have you checked the fine print of your lease agreement and tenant laws for your state? I'd find out what does and does not qualify as emergency no A/C if your indoor temp is that high. I THINK it's considered an emergency when the outdoor temp is above 90 during the summer months and you have no A/C but I'm not 100% sure, especially since you're describing an A/C problem, not a "no A/C at all" situation and it is no longer summer even if Texas IS crazy hot most of the year. Makes me wonder if the original maintenance request (in August?) you said was closed out/restarted had anything to do with this. As for all the other stuff, that manager needs retraining or something. Maybe they don't have a realistic idea of how to manage IRL. I thought apt complexes were supposed to maintain and spray all apts, not just the occupied ones. That just seems like common sense, but I'd at least check on what the law states. As for them accidentally towing you, inexcusable. Check your lease agreement and show them what was agreed to in print. They need to at least deduct that from your rent, if not reimburse you the money you had to pay for THEIR mistake. Arm yourself with the info before pursuing them relentlessly. I know it's hard, but if there's a way to resolve this without making an enemy of them, it'll bode better for you and your family in the future. Winning the current battle without the proper strategy can sometimes cost you the war.

Edited by Servant4Christ
Condensed
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Slache said:

So.

I failed the background check to work in the church nursery. Despite working in the nursery last week. So that's cool.

They put in someone else's social. It's an easy fix. But oops!

(((Slachie))) I hope your next week goes better. Sounds like this past one was full of trials and stress. If I had a teletransporter thingamajig, I'd beam you some homemade mac n cheese a little later today. Do you prefer stovetop style or oven baked?

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

(((Slachie))) I hope your next week goes better. Sounds like this past one was full of trials and stress. If I had a teletransporter thingamajig, I'd beam you some homemade mac n cheese a little later today. Do you prefer stovetop style or oven baked?

I don't mind failing the test. It's an easy fix.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

I don't mind failing the test. It's an easy fix.

Where's my thumbs up emoji? Honestly, I'd be of the same mindset and DH would have to be my voice of reason. At some point, enough is enough. I'd have been there a lot sooner than you. That kind of heat without relief over an extended period of time... I cannot be held accountable for my actions when I'm so hot I cannot think straight.

• Haha 2

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

Lots of stuff to do today that I don't wanna.  (Mostly house cleaning.)

I did the first hard thing -- I got out of bed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My kids think this rule applies to many things I make. I spend a fortune in ketchup, but they don't complain about dinner.

11 hours ago, Slache said:

I posted the review. There are dozens just like it.

I wasn't sure if I should like this or sad face it. How upsetting. (((Slache and fam)))

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

What about hash browns? But then, maybe it's a good thing they don't care for them. Potatoes really don't have a lot of nutritional value, just a bunch of fast carbs we're told to limit or eliminate later in life.

Whole potatoes (with the peel) actually have a lot of nutrition in them, and are generally a preferred alternative to simple carbs. The trick is (if your body can tolerate them, of course) to pair them with plenty of fiber, like broccoli or chili beans, to help slow down the absorption of sugars into your blood stream. At the very least, they're still a whole food. I've also read that if you cook them, cool them completely, then reheat them, they become a resistant starch. I haven't done further reading to substantiate this, though.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

(((Slachie))) ....If I had a teletransporter thingamajig, I'd beam you some homemade mac n cheese a little later today. Do you prefer stovetop style or oven baked?

I'd beam you some, too, Bookie. I remember all too well what it's like to just want comfort food during that final stretch during the bouts of insomnia. I also remember the overwhelming desire to nest but not have the actual energy to do all the things.

Edited by Servant4Christ
Grammar and Punctuation!
  • Thanks 1