• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Cardiologist report: this doc was a major answer to prayer. He was appalled at the lack of communication from the previous doctor and apologized profusely even though it wasn't his fault. Dd's heart

Posted Images

I vote to devour the pie before the mice even have a chance at it.

I spent a good three hours in the woods. It was so delightfully quiet. We found a long stone wall that didn't have a house with it, but must have had long ago. Like to go back there and hunt around someday and see if we can't find the foundations. I took pictures of the river, and the waterfall, but there wasn't a lot of water right now. It should be a lovely place to visit in the spring, but we'll need to bathe in tick spray.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

True. And all that sugar and corn syrup retards bacterial growth.

I forgot to tell you guys how my no-corn syrup pecan pie turned out - Great!

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Dave deals with stress by reorganizing the house. It used to drive me crazy, but now I just ignore it until he tries to reorganize one of "my" areas - like the bookshelves or school supplies. Then I tell him what I need to functionally work, and he somehow makes it work, but better.

See, that's the thing. Dave has a unique ability to cut through the clutter and find the streamlined solution that works best. I don't always see the need for a change, but it's also rare that I'm bothered by the end result. So I don't get upset anymore, I just go about quietly doing my own thing so I don't get drafted into moving furniture. 🤣

I do the same. But I rearrange mostly because we can't move and that's the closest to moving I can get (military brat syndrome). It is also a good way to get rid of a lot of clutter too. I still have a lot of clutter though...

• Like 5

Home from Christmas Eve service and dinner.

The service was very pretty.  The service was mostly Christmas music, with some Scripture readings and a short devotional.  As one of the songs was beginning, our principal violinist realized that her music was missing.  Her husband (who was at the piano) quickly turned the first few measures of music into an intro for a Christmas carol.  The congregation sang three verses of O Little Town of Bethlehem before she was able to locate her music.  And then she played and it was absolutely lovely.  

Afterward our family went out to a restaurant for dinner.  I had asked dh earlier in the day if we could eat dinner out.  We almost never do this, so it was a really special treat.

• Like 7

Gift wrapping station is set up.  The older girls are going to bed, so now I can begin wrapping gifts.

I have piles of gift bags, sorted by size.

I have piles of tissue paper, sorted by color.  Each child will be assigned a color.  All of their gifts will be in bags with their designated color.  It makes passing out gifts so much easier.

I also have scotch tape and curling ribbon.  And several rolls of wrapping paper (that I am hoping to avoid using).

Be back in a little while...

• Like 6

Good Morning!  Merry Christmas!!

Deck the halls with cows and holly,

Boo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-ya!

'Tis the season to eat red velvet cake,

Don we now our strechy pa-ants,

Wow I didn't know this song referenced booze,

Happy birthday Jesus! 

(Courtesy of Slache, 2016)

Wow that came out BIG!

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Merry Christmas!

I was still curled up snug in my bed when I heard squeals of delight coming from upstairs--the inflatable tumble track and the cheese wedge (incline mat) are a big hit.

Much chocolate has been eaten.

A bunch of kids are playing Catan.

We have family coming for dinner, I need to decide what to cook--not planning anything particularly fancy, these are last minute plans.

• Like 4

Christmas gift passive aggressive jab was worse than ever. I was thinking that everyone got lovely gifts and that maybe she wasn't mad until I realized that while everyone got 6+ thoughtful gifts I was given a water bottle in my least favorite color and that's all. I called and told her I loved it. Last year she took it out on the kids and I'd much rather she keep it to just me.

Everyone cleaned up and is playing with their favorite items. Mary's came broken so we have to go to Walmart. I need to clean the kids room this week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I decided to have Christmas dinner in the evening this year.  Nearly everyone had leftovers from the restaurant last night, so they became today's lunch.  Now I can actually get to the items in the fridge that I will need to make dinner. :)

• Like 6

We have had the loveliest, laziest Christmas. We still need to go on our walk. All of the new clothes are being rotated into the laundry so they can wear them after their showers.

R2D2 keeps following me around the house beeping at me. I know I'm hot, but get over me, please. You're annoying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Dinner was eaten. Dh carved up the turkey breasts and put all the meat on a platter and MIL never noticed that there wasn’t a whole turkey. Bob Evans mashed potatoes were a huge hit!!  MIL wanted us to have the lingonberry sauce that a friend gave her, and I couldn’t quite decipher the expiration date. After tasting it, I think it was best eaten before 2004.

I found a wire whisk, so I felt we could manage to put together the banana pudding. This was the only knife we could find anywhere, which made dinner preparation a bit more challenging than usual. 

FEBDDBEF-12ED-417B-B713-D43C8118C554.jpeg

We’re watching Elf and will have pie / dessert in a little while. 

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Christmas dinner was a success.

I bought a gluten-free sugar cookie mix that I'm thinking about making (maybe with the kids, if I'm brave enough) so that we can have cookies tonight.  I can't remember the last time I made cookies.  Dh and dd15 are the bakers in the family.

• Like 6

(((Jeannie)))

If I lived closer I would come help you with flood cleanup and we could be in a flare together.

Our basement flooded several years ago -- about 18 inches of water throughout the entire basement.  It was not fun.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

(((Junie))) hope your gross coke helps. And someone gets you some chocolates!

I think we are all allergic to this house - between the old dry rough wood it’s made of (inside walls), the dust, mold/mildew, and resident rodents, we always make sure to bring plenty of allergy medicines and dd13’s inhaler. 

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Junie said:

Hey Susan, if you can catch the rodents, you could take them home with you for pets.  (...hiding...)

We seriously try to keep dd13 from knowing about the mouse issue because she would totally try sneaking some home with us!  (She was highly offended when I suggested they need a good mousing cat. 😂)

• Like 2

I found some Halloween Peeps in the back of the pantry.  When dh saw me eating marshmallow ghosties, he told me that they weren't very Christmas-y.  I told him that they are very Christmas-y if you're a Dickens fan. :)  And so I ate the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas Future.

Edited by Junie
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

Merry Christmas!!!

We are done with our Christmasing. Had a delightful evening last night at my uncle and aunt’s house. Today we were at my parents’ house all day. It was nice. DS found a stolen car in the orchard, so that was pretty exciting. The cops came. We ate too much and the Pinterest hot chocolate recipe I tried turned out waaaaaayyyy too sweet. But, all in all, it was a good Christmas.now we are at home chillin’.

• Like 8

We are done Christmassing, too.  I have been in my pajamas all day.  Only thing left is to finish Chanukah.  We grilled burgers and hotdogs today, since it was 70 degrees.  So nice, relaxing Christmas meal and day.  Dh wakes us all up at 5am (and he hates to wait that late!), so I have taken two short naps.  

Tomorrow I work.  Friday we get the grandkids for a long weekend.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 6