Menu

What's with the ads?

We are home. It is insane out again. Thunder and lighting and insane winds. It's dark outside. Insane. It's insane. I LOVE IT!

44 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

You kept three children alive all day and kept them safe in a storm like that--trophies to you! One per kid. 🏆🏆🏆 I guess this will be a celebration to remember.

I'm not sure safe is the best word. They survived. That's a plus.

It's a CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Reaction options we need:

• Supportive hug
  • Congratulations/confetti
  • This!
  • Eyeroll
  • High Five
  • Sorry I'm Late (but....)
  • Quote to agree
  • Quote to argue
  • Quote to answer the question the person actually asked

Don't forget the jawdrop!

• Like 5

I had another waking dream last night - a man wearing a black ski mask was rummaging around my nightstand and then got into bed.  I laid there in a panic for quite a while before I could convince my brain that it was just dh.  Even after I slinked out of bed and went in the bathroom and came out again, I cautiously turned on my bedside lamp "just to make sure".  Sigh.  I hate those.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

We had enchiladas for dinner. I leave for bell choir in a bit. I hate the time change. I keep thinking it is the first week of November and not the second. 

That is all.

• Like 6

After another fun-filled day of commiserating over curriculum choices, it's time to try to get my brain to shut down so I can get a little sleep. On the positive side, our course load is getting lighter because I'm ditching 2 subjects tomorrow and then deciding whether to attempt reselling the texts and curriculum we haven't used or just throw them all in the recycle bin and call it good. Goodnight all.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

No posts for two hours?? Priorities, people!! Priorities.

I was practicing bells.

I was watching Magnum PI while waiting for our bedding to dry because Captain insisted on 'unders' then fell asleep on my bed. He had just gone potty beforehand, though!! 🎉

Let's see, oh yeah, we ate dinner before that and had family devotional time and put Captain to bed time. 

And I went to the K-8 Board and thought it would be a good idea to click on the now monster thread I started. Now I feel like a complete failure as a homeschooler. 

I'm at the part in Return of the King where Legolas takes down the mumakill oliphant. Go Green Dead Army Guys!! Theodin just bit it. And just why didn't Aragon send said Dead Army into Mordor first, I ask you?! 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think everyone went to sleep. What's up with that? Why do you need sleep? 

EdPo: (yeah, I know I promised no more for awhile. But you guys aren't giving me anything else to talk about!)

I'm putting off buying Son 4 new school books. Not sure why. Ok, yeah I do. I'm waiting for the Hewitt Homeschooling website to be back up and to hear if the new Level 2 History Odyssey is being released soon. When we went to THS, we both agreed nothing by BJU is crossing our threshold again. We still cannot decide on science. Quiet Boy looked at Novare Earth Science and said he felt good about it. From what I have read, it is NOT homeschool friendly, though. Apologia is too overwhelming to both of us, but we may just have to get over it. If he is using Hist. Ody. and LL, does he still need a separate writing course? He decided on Word Roots by Critical Thinking for vocabulary. Grammar is between Daily Grams Ultimate Series or Analytical Grammar. We didn't get to puruse any AG samples, though. Math is still Saxon. Am I missing anything? This is for 8th grade but trying to use things that can carry him through to the end.

FedEx says The Girl's CLE will be delivered tomorrow. Yea! I can guarentee she isn't as happy about that as I am. I still feel like I need a literature program for her. I'm going to take y'alls advice and go for the Mosdos when I can afford it. We picked up The Hobbit today as a read aloud from where we left off a bit ago. 

I actully stayed awake to the end of Return of the King! I don't remember the last time I did that. The good guys won again!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 7

I'm still up.  I'm putting the animals to bed.  And reassuring a neighbor on Nextdoor who was convinced that the fireworks (which happen at every single win and have for years. . .) was actually gunshots. 

• Like 7

It's just you and me, Jean. What time zone are you in?

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 3

I am sicker than an absolute dog. I think I'm dying. My throat hurts so bad. My ears. Help me.

• Sad 10

Good morning.

We have a day ahead.

It will be busy.

I should get my new karate belt.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

I am sicker than an absolute dog. I think I'm dying. My throat hurts so bad. My ears. Help me.

Are the others sick?

Maybe strep?

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, Slache said:

I slept in. Happy Veteran's Day! Why is Lynn struggling? Because she sacrificed so much by allowing her husband to serve our entire country instead of her. Thank you Lynn! Tell your husband we are forever grateful. I regret forgetting to tell him that in person.

John's birthday is being celebrated today. Teriyaki spam breakfast (I will not be participating) Riverwalk to pick out a gift, some random restaraunt or ice cream shop, presents, then painting tonight.

Yes, it's completely ITT's fault. It's because of the H.

Awwww, shucks!  Thank you for thinking of me.  ❤️😍😢🇺🇸😊😘

19 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay, really, how important are clean bathrooms, anyway?

Not really.  😜

19 hours ago, Slache said:

Nine.

Fairly so.

NINE!!!!?????  Svengo!!!!  Happy Nirthday!

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

Oh NO!!!  Were you glutened?  Or was it the crazy wind?

• Like 3

I"m EST so was in bed sleeping.   I'm still tired.  I'm waking up feeling congested and icky but I usually feel fine once I take my benedryl and have my tea so I'm pretty sure it's just allergies/sleeping in dry air/lingering remnants of whatever.    I do have my yearly physical tomorrow so I guess we'll see if there's something more to it.

• Like 6

Dh had veteran's day off yesterday, he took the kids to the aquarium.

Ds2 was super chatty when they came home, unfortunately I only understand a fraction of what he says. 

• Like 7

Good morning!

Ds14 is no longer with us.  Happy Nirthday to ds15! 🎉

(((Slache))) Maybe you caught something from the nursery?  Think you might need to see a doctor?

Our snow looks like a heavy frost, but the kids are acting like they're at Lynn's house.  Snowmageddon! Most of the counties north of us are on a 2-hour school delay.

I have to return some library books this morning, so I think I'll stop by the thrift store nearby and see if they still have any of the sleds they had last week.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 8

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!

School and work.

I am assuming DH made it to Korea. I haven’t heard of any planes crashing out over the Pacific. But then again, I haven’t listened to the news for a while. He has ‘t Contacted me yet. It is 11:00pm over there, so I will let him sleep.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Slache said:

No dying. Rules and all. Drink hot honey and lemon water for your throat. I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

We have SNOW!  Real cover the grass, maybe an inch and a half on the deck, SNOW!  

I want some snow. It’s been 80 @$&@# degrees here.

• Like 3

Good morning!  I will probably think today is Monday all day.  I worked yesterday, but everyone else stayed home and that always throws me off.  Ds has been driven to school (I was hoping for a delay so he wouldn't have to go, but nope) and I'm having coffee.  

Working today after I pick ds back up.   School for both of them there.  Leftovers for supper.  Maybe I'll wash a load of towels after this load of blankets finishes.  Nothing else going on today.

It's 27 degrees with wind-chill of 8, y'all!

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

We have SNOW!  Real cover the grass, maybe an inch and a half on the deck, SNOW!  

We have over a foot this morning. Who needs PE, gym memberships, and fitbits? Just hand everyone a snow shovel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

EdPo:

If I ditch our reading curriculum, what do I replace it with? Reading book after book is something Oldest enjoys but how do I turn that into the rest of our school year? I don't know what I'm supposed to actually teach in reading. I wonder if there is a reading list that goes with TGWG that I just ordered. Guess we'll soon see. If there are actual books that could double (or triple) as geography, history, and reading to go along, I would be absolutely over the moon happy. Calling out an SOS to the ITT research team!

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

Good Morning! Happy Tuesday.   

Coffee, much too late for me.  I'm racing against the big chill and potential snow.  Still so much to clean up outside! 

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

And I went to the K-8 Board and thought it would be a good idea to click on the now monster thread I started. Now I feel like a complete failure as a homeschooler. 

I'm at the part in Return of the King where Legolas takes down the mumakill oliphant. Go Green Dead Army Guys!! Theodin just bit it. And just why didn't Aragon send said Dead Army into Mordor first, I ask you?! 

Paradox, your hijacked megathread just makes me chuckle.  Count me among those who now feel like terrible homeschoolers.   And I KNOW RIGHT??  That dead army had nuclear capability.  

Stay warm, everybody.   Except people who don't like to be warm, I suppose. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm still up.  I'm putting the animals to bed.  And reassuring a neighbor on Nextdoor who was convinced that the fireworks (which happen at every single win and have for years. . .) was actually gunshots. 

And this is why I don't like fireworks...but that's a rant for another day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm up. We had a dusting of snow, but now it's a blue kind of cold. The boys started a fire from last night's coals, and the cat is slowly becoming convinced that her tail won't freeze. That is, she's left the top bunk and come into the front room to lounge. All her fur is strictly ornamental after all.

I was writing last night. Keeping up with my NaNoWriMo words, and should hit 25K either today or tomorrow. I'm trying not to overdo it this month and stay around 2K a day instead of trying to push things. I needed a rest after the intense revising in October.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

If I ditch our reading curriculum, what do I replace it with? Reading book after book is something Oldest enjoys but how do I turn that into the rest of our school year? I don't know what I'm supposed to actually teach in reading. I wonder if there is a reading list that goes with TGWG that I just ordered. Guess we'll soon see. If there are actual books that could double (or triple) as geography, history, and reading to go along, I would be absolutely over the moon happy. Calling out an SOS to the ITT research team!

This is an 8th-grader? How about Figuratively Speaking, and then you can create a chart of examples as you come across them in the books you want to do anyway?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

This is an 8th-grader? How about Figuratively Speaking, and then you can create a chart of examples as you come across them in the books you want to do anyway?

No. Sorry, I know it's hard to remember without me having a siggy. Oldest is 8yr old fourth grader. I THINK you guys use the term ds8 for this but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

No. Sorry, I know it's hard to remember without me having a siggy. Oldest is 8yr old fourth grader. I THINK you guys use the term ds8 for this but I'm not sure.

Ah. Here's where having it in the signature would help, yes. In that case, read all the books! A bit out loud and mostly to oneself. Talk about some of them. And that's all for reading at this age IMO.

Maybe it's Paradox who recently mentioned an 8th-grader and that's why I'm confused?

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

At your kids ages we just read book after book. In my opinion making kids “learn something “ from books is often artificial and kills the love of reading. I started to use some literature guides in middle school when my kids were 11 and 12. (But I am a bit of a formal ed rebel so...). 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is why I state my kids ages in any edpo. Makes it easier to give advice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Ah. Here's where having it in the signature would help, yes. In that case, read all the books! A bit out loud and mostly to oneself. Talk about some of them. And that's all for reading at this age IMO.

Maybe it's Paradox who recently mentioned an 8th-grader and that's why I'm confused?

Yeah, it was me. Quiet Boy. 
I was woken up at 6:30 by Captain then went back to sleep until 9:45! No more late LOTR nights. I haven’t ventured out of my room yet to see what’s going on. I guess I better get a move on. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

We do novels for our reading. If you feel like you need a bit more, then The Novel Ties study guides are good. You can find them on Amazon, Rainbow Resource, anywhere and they have a ton of them for all ages. I really like them,

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

How does this work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

26 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Agree.

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

At your kids ages we just read book after book. In my opinion making kids “learn something “ from books is often artificial and kills the love of reading. I started to use some literature guides in middle school when my kids were 11 and 12. (But I am a bit of a formal ed rebel so...). 

Agree.  

Just read.  And have him narrate if you feel you must.  Or better yet send him off to play with legos or playmobile afterwards and he will "narrate" without you asking, lol.  You could look at Ambleside Online to see an example of good books that double as geography, history, natural science, etc.  Check out Year 2.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ok. Easy enough because he tends to read a lot outside of schooltime anyway. But how do I grade that? Lol

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. Easy enough because he tends to read a lot outside if schooltime anyway. But how do I grade that? Lol

You don’t. I kept a list but that was it. 
One other thing my olders liked doing at that age was when they finished a novel, they would narrate 3 sentences that I wrote down- plot, favorite part, recommend or no, why. Then they drew a picture to go with it. We used Primary notebooks for this. The ones with a drawing space and lines under. We didn’t do it for every book, just a smattering. My boys still have those notebooks.

If you make it “work”, it fast loses its appeal.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. Easy enough because he tends to read a lot outside if schooltime anyway. But how do I grade that? Lol

I don’t grade until high school. Or maybe a bit in middle school for practice. I correct things like spelling and math but we worked for mastery and not grades. 

• Thanks 2

Today will be day 6 of logging food and exercise and testing bloodsugars and sticking closely to my goals.  From here on out is my danger zone where I start to get bored with it all and fall off the wagon.  Not in a huge way but it doesn't take much to mess up my stupid body. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2