Menu

What's with the ads?

We're supposed to get rain tomorrow night, then temperatures will drop and it will turn to snow.  I don't think we're supposed to get much accumulation.  I'd rather just have snow, it tends to not feel as cold as freezing rain.   Just keep fingers crossed I don't have to use a snow day the first week of my new session.   That would kind of stink.

ETA:  Ugh, a freezing rain, snow booya

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 5

I never did laundry over the weekend.   You guys didn't remind me, it's all your fault!  Not mine at all.  That big pile of clothes all over the bathroom floor that you almost literally can't do anything without stepping on it (really small bathroom, hamper is still in kitchen laundry nook from last week) wasn't enough to remind me, I was counting on you guys!

Actually we're not in bad shape since I was doing laundry until almost mid-week, but I really should at least put the big pile into the hamper.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning!  I'm getting ready for work.  Everyone else can sleep in.  I'm going earlier than planned so I can leave earlier.  I need to do laundry.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m going to get that.

This is what a couple of ours have looked like as we went through the book.  We just use a table top tree or a Norfolk pine (Lowe's sells those in pots).

Screenshot_20191111-071855~2.png

Screenshot_20191111-071801~2.png

• Like 5

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Happy Veteran's Day!  🇺🇸

Ds14 is no longer running a fever.  Just a little sniffly.  Go Elderberry Syrup!  I am making everyone take some this morning.  

It will be raining most of the day and changing to snow around 10pm.

Coffee!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Random question you may ignore if you like:  (🤣)  Is there anything you do in your life now or anything you're engaged in (whether it's a responsibility or a hobby or work or whatever) that is such a natural fit for you that it is easy and effortless and you feel little or no resistance to beginning it or seeing it through to the end?  If not, is there anything which comes close?

Mine was a complete surprise.  I never saw myself getting married or having children before I met my husband.  Now being a wife and mother seems like the most natural part of my life.  On the other hand, being a nurse is also one of the most fulfilling parts of my life.  However, it requires a lot of hard work on my part.  I have worked hard and grown so much.  It is still hard, but when I know I have made a difference it is the best feeling in the world. 

15 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Scotsman is clipping Captain’s nails. You would think he was having his hands chopped off the way he’s carrying on! Typical for one of mine.

Reminds me of my oldest. He always screamed and yelled.  Then when he was more verbal, he tearfully asked us to stop cutting pieces off of him.  I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Happy Veteran's Day!  🇺🇸

Ds14 is no longer running a fever.  Just a little sniffly.  Go Elderberry Syrup!  I am making everyone take some this morning.  

It will be raining most of the day and changing to snow around 10pm.

Coffee!

There's an old home movie (reel to reel) of my cousin and me actually dancing The Freak to this song when it was released.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Tessamae, I feel all the feels for you when you have to work nights.  I did that for a very short time (just a factory job) and I really struggled.  And I didn't even have kids!  My dd21 is in her first semester of nursing school (jr. year of a 4 year program) and it's so hard.  So many things she is having to deal with, especially emotionally.  I have an incredible admiration for nurses - it's an amazing calling.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Veteran’s Day!!! 

“Oh beautiful for heroes proved

In liberating strife.

Who more than self their country loved

And mercy more than life.

America! America!

May God thy gold refine.

Till all success be nobleness

And every gain divine.”

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Krissi - that's beautiful!

I think the infestation disaster has been averted.  I thought someone had spilled houseplant dirt all over the kitchen counter somehow, but when I went to wipe it up, the specks of dirt started to move!  Willy Nilly!  Svengo!  We got them all wiped away and disinfected the area.  Hopefully that's the end of it.

First of 3 loads is in the washer.  Normally I would only have to do 2 loads because we have a super high capacity washer, but the dryer has been making a horrible screeching noise if it has too much in it.  

Everyone has taken their precautionary dose of elderberry syrup.  I think it tastes like over-sweet prune juice. Ack2.

Is it time to print out the Thanksgiving Document?

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

I slept in. Happy Veteran's Day! Why is Lynn struggling? Because she sacrificed so much by allowing her husband to serve our entire country instead of her. Thank you Lynn! Tell your husband we are forever grateful. I regret forgetting to tell him that in person.

John's birthday is being celebrated today. Teriyaki spam breakfast (I will not be participating) Riverwalk to pick out a gift, some random restaraunt or ice cream shop, presents, then painting tonight.

4 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

(((Slache))) I'm sorry about your back. You said it happened when ITT started...correlation? Causation? Hmmm....

Yes, it's completely ITT's fault. It's because of the H.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Reaction options we need:

• Supportive hug
  • Congratulations/confetti
  • This!
  • Eyeroll
  • High Five
  • Sorry I'm Late (but....)
  • Quote to agree
  • Quote to argue
  • Quote to answer the question the person actually asked
Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

In the latest episode of Cat Trains Man, kitty decided that Grandpa is a rather Daddy-like fellow, after all--and when he sat on the couch reading quietly, she jumped up beside him, informed him that his duty was to pet her, and then curled up and went to sleep.

• Like 5

Happy Veteran's Day! 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

And coffee!

I need to finish lots of Bible study prep today while the kids do their independent schoolwork.  Then haul bins of garage stuff from the garage into the basement so we'll have space to install the peg boards and shelves that arrive on Wednesday.  Somehow, though, I need to be sure there is enough space left in the basement for the piano teacher to still be able to teach lessons on Thursday.  (Our basement is about 10x10, and already has a piano and craft table and a wall of bookshelves in it, so we don't have much floor space to work with. Oh, and like a gazillion doors to spaces we use daily, like the laundry room.). 

Hmmm.... 

It's supposed to snow on Tuesday, so I can't store any stuff outside, but maybe I can use the van? We have tons to get rid of, but dh is not emotionally ready to do it yet.  Sticking stuff in the van might encourage him to just drive it to a donation center.  

Maybe also clean all the stuff off the craft table so I can stack things there?  

Stuff is definitely overrated, IMO.  Down with stuff!  

(Except Playmobil.)

• Like 8

Made it to the science center almost at the usual time, did my yoga (ouch), then realized the activity I had planned for the first class was something that a few of them had just done in April.  Way too soon to repeat an activity, so I scrambled to find something different to do.  It wasn't too hard since all my stuff is here, it was just finding something I didn't need any extra ingredients for.   We did activities on bugs, including the hissing cockroaches coming to visit.  It worked.  

• Like 8

There were 9 kids in nursery. One hated me, one was obsessed with me, two were sick and one just got the new lion king.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Thanks for all the replies to my question!  I'm so encouraged by the many different answers.  It's encouraging to me that many of you have things that come easily.  It's also encouraging to remember that some things are good enough and important enough to do the hard work when it comes.  I feel like there's a road block for me every direction I go - whether it's because of my personality type, introversion, perhaps highly sensitive, or maybe even undiagnosed, mild, spectrum characteristics - there's always something that's irritating to me (Ha!  maybe it's middle-age, lol!).  I was a good student.  I was good at reading, paying attention, taking notes and remembering things, ordering things logically, etc.  I'm not a natural teacher.  I'm not good at any "doing" things - science, cooking, making.  My social skills are not great - I always figure things out later after a conversation has been over for many hours.  When kids were babies and toddlers, I used to think I parented well - I was learning so much!  It was hard, but good.  I believed in what I was doing and the way I was doing it even though I knew it wasn't perfect.  Many years and many compromises later, I'm like a broken down fence, just making sure the herd doesn't escape until they're old enough to do so properly.  I want to do something meaningful.  Something meaningful to me that doesn't involve serving and engaging with others.  But I don't want it to feel like an uphill climb everyday.  

That's mostly what writing and art are for me. And maybe gardening and/or beekeeping at some point. But I'm a solitary pursuits kind of person, and some of these activities (ahem, writing and art) stretch me a little beyond my comfort zone, especially now. But that's good.  And yes, I do sometimes feel a touch of pressure when it comes to "you should give back to the community" and "you need to be doing more things" and "you could be helping more people and doing more things for your children if you weren't tied up in your writing/art". I have to ignore those impulses whether they come from me or others. What I want to do for myself is important, too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would have sent the 2 sick ones out! We have a clear no illness policy. How irresponsible of the parents to expose that many families to illness!

You are wonderful. The kids will warm up to you. They just need to get used to you being there every week and whatever schedule you have.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I slept in. Happy Veteran's Day! Why is Lynn struggling? Because she sacrificed so much by allowing her husband to serve our entire country instead of her. Thank you Lynn! Tell your husband we are forever grateful. I regret forgetting to tell him that in person.

John's birthday is being celebrated today. Teriyaki spam breakfast (I will not be participating) Riverwalk to pick out a gift, some random restaraunt or ice cream shop, presents, then painting tonight.

Yes, it's completely ITT's fault. It's because of the H.

How old is John now? 

• Like 2

Writing today. Also cooking some dinner, and managed to burn myself, further cementing my notion that the best place for me to be today is parked in a chair, inventing a new world, characters, and a magic system. Much safer for everyone I live with.

I do have to put together the school plan (rough) for handling the holidays. Shouldn't be too bad. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Okay, really, how important are clean bathrooms, anyway?

I like them, but not enough to clean them today. Already burned myself this morning, and I use a lot of boiling water to clean instead of using chemical cleaners. Might be dangerous!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Clean is relative.  I do think that there is a point where sanitation is important. . .   but absolute sparkliness all the time is not.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

How old is John now? 

Nine.

8 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Fairly so.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Tessamae, I feel all the feels for you when you have to work nights.  I did that for a very short time (just a factory job) and I really struggled.  And I didn't even have kids!  My dd21 is in her first semester of nursing school (jr. year of a 4 year program) and it's so hard.  So many things she is having to deal with, especially emotionally.  I have an incredible admiration for nurses - it's an amazing calling.

Thank you. I mostly like working nights.  It lets me homeschool the kids but there are times I miss sleep.😁 I’m so proud and happy for your daughter.  I think nursing school is one of the hardest things a person can do.  It is also totally worth it. She is at the beginning of a great and fulfilling experience.

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Veteran's Day! 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

And coffee!

I need to finish lots of Bible study prep today while the kids do their independent schoolwork.  Then haul bins of garage stuff from the garage into the basement so we'll have space to install the peg boards and shelves that arrive on Wednesday.  Somehow, though, I need to be sure there is enough space left in the basement for the piano teacher to still be able to teach lessons on Thursday.  (Our basement is about 10x10, and already has a piano and craft table and a wall of bookshelves in it, so we don't have much floor space to work with. Oh, and like a gazillion doors to spaces we use daily, like the laundry room.). 

Hmmm.... 

It's supposed to snow on Tuesday, so I can't store any stuff outside, but maybe I can use the van? We have tons to get rid of, but dh is not emotionally ready to do it yet.  Sticking stuff in the van might encourage him to just drive it to a donation center.  

(Except Playmobil.)

I agree. Down with stuff!! We are preparing for a move.  At the end of it, my family (husband and two kids) and my mother will be moving into one house with MIL.  Neither mother has gone through things after the death of their spouses.  So much stuff!  Our mantra is purge, purge, purge!

44 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Made it to the science center almost at the usual time, did my yoga (ouch), then realized the activity I had planned for the first class was something that a few of them had just done in April.  Way too soon to repeat an activity, so I scrambled to find something different to do.  It wasn't too hard since all my stuff is here, it was just finding something I didn't need any extra ingredients for.   We did activities on bugs, including the hissing cockroaches coming to visit.  It worked.  

Toto, I wish we lived close enough to come to your center. It sounds wonderful!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Happy Veteran's Day! 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

And coffee!

Hmmm.... 

(Except Playmobil.)

I put up a large storage shed in the yard then spent a year hauling stuff out there as a way to clean up the house.

I'm finally getting around to decluttering and organizing the stuff in the shed. Which means I have hauled half of the shed stuff out onto a big ground cloth so I can spread stuff all around me as I work. My goal is to get rid of as much of it as possible and organize the rest so it is easily accessible.

Fortunately no rain or snow is expected here this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Bathrooms probably aren't going to get cleaned today, but likely will tomorrow. They're not awful (they were fully done a week ago), but with three little boys in the house, 2 weeks between cleanings is far too long.

We did Bible, picture books, math, half of language arts, and chores. Plus the kids played outside for a bit this morning between chores and school. We still have the other half of LA for the big two, and more reading aloud, but I have to get ready for my OB appointment after lunch (which we're having now). Fortunately, Dave gets to come home early today, so I can leave the kids here instead of bringing them with me.

Waiting to hear if co op will be cancelled tomorrow. I kinda hope it will...

• Like 6

Wish me luck. I've got to climb a ladder in the chicken house to hang the heat lamp for the winter. This could get interesting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I’m moving rooms around again.
The  bluray player in the tv room broke, and we decided not to replace it. We all prefer to watch tv/movies in our room where it is quiet. I moved the futon to the end of our bed and used the large bottom drawers on our dresser to hold the movies. Our master is kinda long so this still leaves us plenty of space between the futon and the dresser. 
Captain’s clothes which were in the drawers are now in the room he shares with Quiet Boy. He’s officially moved out of our room!

Next, I had the playroom in the huge family room in front of the kitchen area (open plan). This made for a loud, messy space. I moved all the toys into the now emptied TV room.

I took the Expedit 2x4 shelves that were in the tv room and moved them to the schoolroom. I’m really only using that many for school stuff, anyway. (She says before buying Captain’s books.)

The rest of the Expedit 4x4 shelves which were already in the schoolroom were holding fun books. That bookcase is going to be moved into the now empty family room along with my plush rocking chair. I have found if Captain’s books are hidden away in the schoolroom, he tends to forget about them. Ideally, I would like a small bookcase in the playroom for him but no money.

Eventually, if we stay here, we want to redo the open plan space completely- new paint, curtains, cabinet hardware, actual furniture.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I survived. I didn't fall off. DH decided to do the climbing because I managed to burn myself again while cooking. Way too dangerous today.

• Like 6

Room shifting done. Now for the laundry.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You know that scene in Twister with the cow? That's what downtown looks like.

• Like 2

Finished a training session at work.  Now I’m going to relax until this evening.  Date night-dinner and a movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I have never seen wind like that. Matt had Alex's hand so we didn't lose him but both Mary and Alex went airborne. John clung to a pole while I ran after Mary. It was horrifying. We both lost our pony tails and I lost a button. My ears hurt so bad from being pulled.

• Sad 7

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have never seen wind like that. Matt had Alex's hand so we didn't lose him but both Mary and Alex went airborne. John clung to a pole while I ran after Mary. It was horrifying. We both lost our pony tails and I lost a button. My ears hurt so bad from being pulled.

Whoa scary!

I'm glad you all are ok.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

We have made no progress.

You kept three children alive all day and kept them safe in a storm like that--trophies to you! One per kid. 🏆🏆🏆 I guess this will be a celebration to remember.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Classes done, back from the gym, now getting ready to head out to 4-H.  Then Monday is done.   Tuesday is easier, just 3 classes and one tutoring student (who was not feeling well today so may not come tomorrow).    But once again I checked past history and tomorrow's plan was just done last Spring and needs to be changed.  

• Like 4