• KrissiK

Good Morning!!!,

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!!!

Hot!!!!🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️😩😩😩😩😩

I hate summer! 
Nothing really going on today.

EdPo:

So, last year we started SoTW Ancients after Christmas because we did California History first semester. My girls are going to be 4th and 6th, so I know they need a little more rigor, so I have been working on adding in some outlining in Kingfisher & Encyclopedia of the Ancient World And lots of “Famous Men of Ancient Greece” and “Famous Men of Ancient Rome”. But then part of me says, “forget all that extra stuff and just move along so you can get to the Middle Ages...” I don’t know. I know that really, depth not breadth is the way to go, but.... 

• Like 2

EPo, pt. 2:

Sometimes I think I have this continual “grass is always greener...” mentality when it comes to history and science. What I am doing is perfectly fine, but I want to do something else. When we were doing California History, I wanted to be doing SoTW. And now I want to do three years of Notgrass to take DD2 up to high school, but that will leave DD3 with 2 more years of history to have to plan. So, I might as well just stick with my original plan of doing a modified and expanded SofW this year and next, and then do America the Beautiful when DD2 is an 8th grader and finish the Notgrass series with DD3 alone.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

A Fortress of Stress and Anxiety (AFSA) is WalMart and once I was enlightened, it made total sense.

Also, we now have the orange tower of doom which is the online pickup thingy inside of AFSA.

Sorry, I wasn't done catching up when I posted or I'd have seen that Susan already answered your question. 🤣

If I remember correctly, it can also be A Fortress of Stress and Annoyance.

14 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Does someone want to come over and fill my dishwasher?. I just don’t want to do it.

I understand.

14 hours ago, Junie said:

I've told you this before: this is why we have kids. 😉

Yes.

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

My family does a terribly job filling the dishwasher.

Also yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!,

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!!!

Hot!!!!🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️😩😩😩😩😩

I hate summer! 
Nothing really going on today.

EdPo:

So, last year we started SoTW Ancients after Christmas because we did California History first semester. My girls are going to be 4th and 6th, so I know they need a little more rigor, so I have been working on adding in some outlining in Kingfisher & Encyclopedia of the Ancient World And lots of “Famous Men of Ancient Greece” and “Famous Men of Ancient Rome”. But then part of me says, “forget all that extra stuff and just move along so you can get to the Middle Ages...” I don’t know. I know that really, depth not breadth is the way to go, but.... 

Ed Po:

One way of looking at it is, are you doing similar skill work separately from history?  Are you outlining and writing, etc, as part of your LA curriculum or in other subjects?  If you are, then it's perfectly fine for history to be kept a little lighter.  But if you think they aren't getting enough skill work in LA or across other subjects, then possibly add in the other resources and output.  But don't feel like you need to do it just because they're on the upper end of the age range for SOTW, kwim?  I'm possibly going to have 12yo dd do SOTW 1 for history this year, but she'll have enough assignments in her co-op classes that I'm okay with that.  

• Like 1

EdPo:

I (mostly) finished pairing up our Notgrass American History and Apologia American Literature.  I will say that my spreadsheet is a thing of beauty.  Dd15 is not as thrilled as I am.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Ed Po:

One way of looking at it is, are you doing similar skill work separately from history?  Are you outlining and writing, etc, as part of your LA curriculum or in other subjects?  If you are, then it's perfectly fine for history to be kept a little lighter.  But if you think they aren't getting enough skill work in LA or across other subjects, then possibly add in the other resources and output.  But don't feel like you need to do it just because they're on the upper end of the age range for SOTW, kwim?  I'm possibly going to have 12yo dd do SOTW 1 for history this year, but she'll have enough assignments in her co-op classes that I'm okay with that.  

Well, see, that’s another thing.....they aren’t getting a lot of skill work otherwise, and I like having them do it for history because it seems a little more authentic. Good point, Lynn.

Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Anyone have experience with Aden and Anias muslin swaddling blankets? They LOOK big enough and breathable, but how much do they shrink and are they too thin to use as a cover for nursing? I don't want see through, kwim.

This is one of about 4 things I buy for every new mom. They are everything you want and more. We have 16 of them.

The other things are a motion monitor if they don't cosleep, a wubanub, and a selection of nipple cream, infant Tylenol, diaper rash cream and anything you might run out at 2AM for.

Every mom I got the blankets for has absolutely loved them. Wash them like 4 times before you use them.

• Like 2

A motion monitor is an alarm that goes off if they stop breathing in their crib. It includes all the regular baby monitor features.

A wubanub is a beanie toy attached to a pacifier. They can grab them in the crib months before a pacifier and I stick the beanie's legs into the carseat buckles so when they drop the pacifier it's 2 inches from their faces instead of on the car floor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

The Tummy Trouble for puppy seem to be resolving. She made it from 10pm-4:30am, which was huge success. Win for the antibiotics. 

Also, people in my house are amazing at Tetris and yet cannot figure out how to simply fit one meal's worth of dishes into the dishwasher. It baffles me everytime. I even tried a demonstration and then lost two glasses that week because the concept that you shouldn't put wine glasses next to pots didn't sink in it would seem. 

Yay for puppy!

Boo for broken glasses!  No one follows my instruction either. I always do a row of glassware, then a row of plastic cups, then a row of coffee cups. The plastic protects the glass from the heavy mugs. Brilliant. But no one recognizes my genius. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Horsie Girl is home from her last day of camp.  A little sadness.  I wish we could afford to send her all summer!

I made the BBQ sauce and the Hawaiian BBQ chicken and bbq pulled pork and the West African plasas and got them all into the freezer.  All that's left for today is Krissi's Famous Pork Banh Mi and taco spice mix.  I'm a little pooped.  I need to water the plants outside.  My house looks like an F0 tornado came through.  

Dh brought me to the local music store because he saw a couple U-basses and thought I'd like to see them.  They were neat, though I have no desire to learn bass.  I wish I'd tried out one of the baritone ukes.

Our pet food shipment came yesterday, including a bag of rat food which we no longer need.  Do you think the county animal shelter or something might have a use for it?

• Like 2

ENB, prepare for deployment to Oregon. A company offered--and accepted in mid-June my payment for-- a product they do not actually have in their possession, a fact I was finally able to drag out of customer service today after an email (which went unanswered) and two phone calls. (Their website claims that orders ship the next day, yet they evidently never noticed they'd left me hanging for weeks without so much as a "We're experiencing delays, sorry" or an offer of the same product in a different color or quantity.)

I have now ordered it from a larger company that promises I will have it Wednesday, but I had to buy more and therefore pay more. Assuming I get a shipping notice on Monday, I will be calling to get a refund from the original company, and the ENB should be prepared to stomp them to bits if they are anything but profusely apologetic and promptly helpful.

• Like 6

On 7/6/2020 at 5:11 PM, Servant4Christ said:

I tried making ice cream in a bag using the recipe posted by @Renai but it did not work for us. Used half and half. Oldest and I took turns shaking for double the time and it still didn't become ice cream. More like really cold melted ice cream. Not thick enough to be a milkshake. Still tasted good though. We poured it in cups and drank it. Should've saved it in the fridge as coffee creamer, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Maybe it works better with the whipping cream. That's what we used.

It was hot here, too.  The lizards are coming inside. We had a baby lizard under the piano. And Baby brought in a little praying mantis on a flower. We found the praying mantis a new home in the herb garden, but the lizard is still under the piano.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Renai said:

It was over 100 degrees in the shade today. This is absolutely ridiculously hot weather for Santa Fe this time of year. I think it's about 10-20 degrees hotter than normal.

It's been cooler than usual here - mid-July and barely making it into the 90's!  Summer weather really starts here when it's 80 degrees by 8am and that hasn't even happened yet - usually it's early to mid June.

• Like 2

Good morning!

I'm up much earlier than necessary to help dh and the three youngest get everything together for a weekend away.  They have Scout day-classes today and tomorrow, but it's an hour away so they are staying in a nearby hotel overnight.  It's going to be a very quiet weekend here with dd17 in FL and dd21 is working all weekend; it will mostly just be ds25 and me.

I have a Zoom puppy meet-n-greet today - not sure exactly how it will go, but I will need to pick my top three choices from the litter afterwards, so that should be interesting.  I hope I can get the Zoom meeting to work.  I hope the person running the Zoom meeting knows how to do it.

I left the taco spice mix and pork banh mi for today.  Might make some muffins - chocolate chocolate chip cranberry.  So yummy. Now I'm hungry - time for breakfast!

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Morning.  Hot, humid, sticky, heavy air around here too.  Unusually so.   With lots of the late afternoon thunderstorms that accompanies that.  

Meeting up with dd for workout, then I really really need to do some cleaning up around here.  This week was weird with all the interviews and I'm not sleeping great (see hot, humid sticky thunderstorms) but I have to get moving on some stuff.   I really need to get my a$$ in gear on a lot of my summer to-do list.  I'm not doing such a great job getting things done.

Next week, dd goes back to work.  Masks are required inside and out here so she should still be pretty safe.  We're going to continue meeting but because the mall she works at has reduced hours, she goes in at the same time every day.  Early.  So we're meeting at 7am starting Monday.  I may suggest we take a break Monday so she can concentrate on her first day back at work, and I can sleep in for one day before we start the early hours.  On the bright side, I'll be able to start on my to-do lists extra early each day.

• Like 5

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

Hot!!!!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️😩😩😩😩😩😩  I hate summer,

We have a Bridal Shower for ,my niece today. We had to pick a scheduled time to come. Our time is 2:00.

• Like 3

DH and Oldest are picking raspberries this morning before it gets too hot. DH said he KNOWS how much I love canning jam in such hot weather while pregnant. (Remember, no central A/C here.) I laughed and told him I've learned a thing or 2 since last time. The berries will keep just fine in the freezer until the weather cools off some and I'm ready to begin canning again.

You are very smart. My aunt and uncle have a jam making business and that’s what they do. Freeze all the fruit and then make jam in batches throughout the year.

• Like 2

I updated the OS on my Mac.  And then discovered an app that doesn't work with the update (the very app that brought me to the point that I thought I needed to update the OS).  Then I updated the app (non-mac app, so had to google instructions and jump through multiple hoops.....)  And look here I am with everything working again - I didn't blow it up!  Yay!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

You are very smart. My aunt and uncle have a jam making business and that’s what they do. Freeze all the fruit and then make jam in batches throughout the year.

I apparently have this process all mixed up.  I buy the fruit when it's cold and cheap because I'm afraid that when berry season actually comes, the crops will fail and strawberries will be $4 a pound.  I freeze the fruit and make jam in the summer when it's hot because I don't have a lick of sense. Lol.

37 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

It’s stupid got here too. So glad the AC is working. It’s been in the upper 90s and humid. At the salon today getting beautified and it’s like 50 degrees in here. I’m surprised a tornado doesn’t form anytime someone opens the door. 

@Susan in TN what kind of puppy are you getting?!

A goldendoodle.  The puppy's mom is a goldendoodle and the dad is a poodle.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I go all out on the tight lining and then do a mild wing. 🙂 I got waxed today too so eye shadow was pointless- not to mention it’s just all melts off outside. But I like me some eyeliner for sure. 

I bought my first eyeliner 6 months ago.  I kind of like it.  Who knows - I might go crazy and get some mascara!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm being lazy today. I've developed shingles though it really isn't that bad yet--I'm on an antiviral so hoping that helps my body fight it off. I'm kinda dragging and low in energy though.

We have a largish raspberry patch but eat so many berries fresh I never have any for jam. That's what I grow currants for, they don't taste great on their own so they stay on the bush long enough to be harvested for jam 🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

So, we Had an experience today that restored my faith in human kindness.  We were on our way to the Big City for this bridal shower. We were driving down a Fairly busy four lane road that went through a small, poor town. We were stopped at a stoplight, the first ones in line. , and this elderly lady was crossing in the crosswalk right in front of us. She was pushing a shopping cart from the supermarket nearby. Well. She struck a pothole, the cart tipped over and she went down, too. Right in the middle of the cross-walk. I jumped out of the car and about 4 other people jumped out of their cars and in no time we had her cart righted, the lady was helped up and brushed off. And her groceries were back in the cart. I pushed her cart to the corner and then helped her across the street. I put my arm around her as I walked her to her cart and she was talking a mile a minute in Spanish" I couldn’t understand a thing she said. But I just kept smiling at her and made little cooing noises, so hopefully she knew I cared, even if I couldn’t understand her. And everyone had to sit through an entire light cycle while all this was going on and our van was still sitting in the middle of the street, but nobody seemed to mind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

@Slache Which A&A swaddle would you recommend for the main purpose of using as a nursing cover? Classic (cotton), silky (bamboo), or cozy (thicker cotton)?

All of mine are cotton. I think that's all that they had, but I don't think I would have deviated.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, we Had an experience today that restored my faith in human kindness.  We were on our way to the Big City for this bridal shower. We were driving down a Fairly busy four lane road that went through a small, poor town. We were stopped at a stoplight, the first ones in line. , and this elderly lady was crossing in the crosswalk right in front of us. She was pushing a shopping cart from the supermarket nearby. Well. She struck a pothole, the cart tipped over and she went down, too. Right in the middle of the cross-walk. I jumped out of the car and about 4 other people jumped out of their cars and in no time we had her cart righted, the lady was helped up and brushed off. And her groceries were back in the cart. I pushed her cart to the corner and then helped her across the street. I put my arm around her as I walked her to her cart and she was talking a mile a minute in Spanish" I couldn’t understand a thing she said. But I just kept smiling at her and made little cooing noises, so hopefully she knew I cared, even if I couldn’t understand her. And everyone had to sit through an entire light cycle while all this was going on and our van was still sitting in the middle of the street, but nobody seemed to mind.

❤️

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!!!

HOT!!!🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️😩😩😩😩 I opened the door to let the cats in and it’s not cool outside. It’s 5:45 am and it’s not cool outside. It’s not hot yet, but the air has this nasty, overcooked lukewarm feeling to it.

I have no idea why I am up at 5:45 am on Sunday. I woke up at 5:30 and I couldn’t fall back to sleep and it was too hot to just lay there and coast, so I got up.

Church today. We’re leaving for Tahoe tomorrow, so I guess I had better get some stuff washed and put together,

• Like 3