Menu

Ignore this thread!

55 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Coffee's on.  It's Thursday.  I think.

Is it?  Where did the week go?  Argh!  I can’t believe it is almost June.  Seriously, as far as my job is concerned, I feel so far behind, even though I have been working 45-60 hrs/wk through all of this c19 crud.  No fair.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!! 
Actually, I have been able to figure out what day it’s been, except for this week. I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Tuesday. Craziness.  School and work today. I think it is our last day of excessive heat. I drank a half gallon of iced tea yesterday. Literally. Sipped on it all afternoon. I hate summer. I think I am going to buy real estate in Patagonia.

• Like 2

Goodness! I come on and there are babies everywhere! Congratulations to all moms and expecting moms!  (Also, I really hope this isn't catching, because all I want to give birth to are books.) But in the spirit of that feeling, my sequel and I are through the first trimester, I think. I should hit 50K this weekend. I'm hoping for a 150K on this draft, so two more months to go!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Good morning!

I turned my alarm off at 6 and then woke up at 7:30!  Yikes.  I had unnerving dreams in the mean time and now I'm in a mood.

We have been done with school for the most part since the end of March.  I set up our school year like that with the idea that I would be in England for 2 weeks in April and then the Grand Canyon trip.  The kids had a couple lessons here and there to finish up, but it's been two months of mostly nothing to do.  And now a summer with nothing to do.  I suppose we could start doing next year's lessons.  Probably could come up with cleaning and organizing projects.  No shortage of those around here!

I can't find a mandolin teacher who will give lessons in person this summer, so I may give online lessons a try.  I hate zoom.

Coffee!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm trying to find a suitable, more masculine alternative to All-of-a-Kind Family. Something set in 1910s America. It's the only book left on our list that Oldest really would prefer not to read. I would have him read Rascal but he's already read it. Over and over and over again. It's one of his favorites. He's not totally opposed to estrogen. I think it's just the amount of estrogen. He's actually looking forward to Caddie Woodlawn and Naya Nuki.

Little Britches?  Have we suggested that one already?  The Magnificent Ambersons?  I don't know that this one is for kids.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Morning.  I'm tired today after yesterday's drama.   Dh and I talked about getting the kids on a more normal schedule but I figured I'd give them last night and today, then start waking them up earlier tomorrow.  

Meeting dd for workout today.   Cleaning house a little bit.  That's it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Another Lynn said:

Just pick out a cute chic name. ❤️

She’ll learn. ❤️  She’s had a great teacher. 

Ugh. The name. I'm still trying to figure this one out. Dancer is just being goofy and coming up with weird crazy stuff!

Thanks! I'm a great teacher, just not a great mom.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Renai said:

20. She turns 21 the end of September.

Oh, that's not way too young.

One of my aunts had a daughter at 17 and then my cousin also had a daughter at 17.  My aunt became a grandmother when she was 34!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:53 AM, Junie said:

Oh, that's not way too young.

One of my aunts had a daughter at 17 and then my cousin also had a daughter at 17.  My aunt became a grandmother when she was 34!

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm trying to find a suitable, more masculine alternative to All-of-a-Kind Family. Something set in 1910s America. It's the only book left on our list that Oldest really would prefer not to read. I would have him read Rascal but he's already read it. Over and over and over again. It's one of his favorites. He's not totally opposed to estrogen. I think it's just the amount of estrogen. He's actually looking forward to Caddie Woodlawn and Naya Nuki.

Where in the school year does it fit in?  How old is your oldest?  Strong reader?  I ask, because maybe you don't put anything in that timeslot in case the student takes longer to read other stuff than planned and needs to catch up, or is burnt out from too much reading and needs a break?  Sometimes we can *gasp* overschedule.  I mean, I schedule a lot.  But in the past 8 years of homeschooling I have learned to just let some things go.  Change the plan.  Realize that that one book isn't going to make or break my child's education. (And oops, I may be doing it more than should be done this year! LOL)

Just a thought. YMMV

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I'm too young to be a grandmother.

I was wondering how you were feeling about the situation.  I'm glad you are focusing on your age and not hers, though. ♥ Just think, you will have the energy and body to be the "fun" grandma.  You won't be remembered just by your old people smells and walking cane. It'll be your great-grandchildren who remember you that way!  FWIW, I had two great-grandmothers who were alive until I was in my 20s.  They were both great and spunky.  I think being young grandmothers made them spunky great-grandmothers.  So you model your future on that.  You're on your way to spunky greatness!

ETA: Oh, I see now you think she is too young.  Put that out of your head.  For most, a baby is the impetus to grow up, and they do so in grand fashion.  She'll be fine.  She has you!

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oldest is 9 but will be using this at ages 10/11 for 4th/5th grade. Strong reader and great comprehension, but sensitive. We're doing Notgrass AtB (at his request) and spreading it over 2 years so a new book for reading that corresponds somewhat to each time period every 2 weeks. Timewise, this book will be read in the first or second quarter of 5th grade.

Ah.  Strong reader and early in the year should be fine.  Doesn't sound like oldest has hit that Middle School muddle phase yet.  The one where it takes 4X as long to do anything and there is no desire for anything but sleep.  We're in that phase.  It sucks.  I'm promoting positive thinking in myself and am convinced next year will be better.  I won't need to say  "focus" 20X an hour.  We'll stick to the plan and get things done like in elementary.  We won't be schooling all summer just to finish last year.  It's going to be awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw, there have been times that I couldn't find a suitable literature book for a particular historical period or event, so I just gave them a book that I thought was worthwhile literature that I wanted them to read but might not have time to fit in otherwise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Just discovered that Amazon Prime has the 4th and final season of The Durrells in Corfu available.  I didn't even know there was a 4th season!  I've enjoyed the show more than the book, though I didn't read the entire series.

And then there are those series that the books never actually finished, causing chagrin amongst the readers (I'm looking at you, Game of Thrones, which I will never watch until the books are done...) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Renai said:

And then there are those series that the books never actually finished, causing chagrin amongst the readers (I'm looking at you, Game of Thrones, which I will never watch until the books are done...) 

I did not know this about the show.  Am reading the 1st book, haven't watched the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I did not know this about the show.  Am reading the 1st book, haven't watched the show.

Just stop reading. You will be so perturbed about never reaching the end. Save yourself the angst.

• Like 3

I have decided not to send Gymnast back to the homeschool program at the public school. Besides just basically being a babysitter while I work, if they open in the fall (which they are thinking not), I don't think they'll  have China-level precautions in place, which is the only thing I think I can agree to at the moment.

Random thought over. You may return to your regularly scheduled randomness.

Edited by Renai
forgot a word
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

This is why I never start reading a series that isn't complete. The wait for the next book to release drives me nuts. I can only imagine the letdown if a series chose to NEVER complete.

I went into it blind; I had no idea. I was in the middle of a grad school program and needed light reading periodically. I think I got through the Hunger Games and that other dystopian series where everyone is separated into factions. Can't remember the name right now. Then I started Game of Thrones. All of it was through our library (digital), so thankfully I didn't spend any money.

• Like 2

Back to previous random thought: but now I have to figure out what to do with Gymnast while I work, because I do have to work. I wanted to do a semester-long Science Time Spanish class that she can attend (the short classes are doing well, so why not?), but that would mean me writing yet another class this summer, and I don't think I have the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

We had a hard rain this afternoon and a beautiful rainbow as the sun was going down. We enjoyed it so much, I just felt like sharing. 

❤️

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We had dinner at my parents’ house tonight. It was yummy. We are back now.

That is all.

❤️

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

No-COFFEE!!!!~D.  The Apocalypse has truly happened. My COFFEE~D-maker died.😩😩😩😩😩 life is not worth living. I don’t want to go to The Afsa. I think I have only been there once since the Apocalypse. Do they sell COFFEE!!~D- makers at the gas station??

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Krissi, why not rig something up until you can get one in the mail? Glass jar/bowl + mesh strainer + coffee filter and pour boiling water over the ground coffee? I use an Aeropress, which is the same concept.

Ima try this.

• Like 2