Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning all! 

I managed to ketchup!

Crazy busy weekend and I didn't have a chance to get on here at all. Lots of time in the yard this and things are coming together. I still need more fruit trees, but their SO expensive. I think I'll be hitting up the end-of-season sales for the rest. 

(((Spud))) My fingers are crossed that the Tater Tot arrives very soon! 

All the literary talk has been really interesting. I don't have much to contribute though. I know I've read some of them, but I can't remember them. I think I liked Great Expectations, but I was really young when I read it. My mother didn't like children's books, so I read a lot of stuff WAY earlier than I should have. I'm sure a ton was lost on me at the time. 

On to doing the things! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

Remembering my father* this Memorial Day.  He didn't die in war, but he went to Vietnam and came home with PTSD.  He was (somewhat) ok until the early 2000s, but snapped when he watched too much coverage of the Iraq War.  He was put in a mental facility and died a few months later.  So, while he didn't die in the war I still feel like he was a casualty of war.  😞

*My parents divorced when I was little and my mom remarried.  I grew up calling my step-dad "Dad" and I usually refer to my biological father as "my father".  My dad died of Parkinson's disease last year.  My father, who had PTSD, died when dd17 was a baby.

(((Junie)))  These stories are important.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  

• Like 2

Good morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Blessed Memorial Day!!! ((Junie)). Thank you for sharing about your dad.

I don’t know what I’m going to do all day. DH wants to go somewhere,  but we don’t know if the national parks are open and don’t really want to step out into the fray. Not that we are afraid of catching anything, but we don’t even know if Parks are open and all that. Bleh. We all have a case of the resentments today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spudater said:

There was an article recently about the “real Lord of the Flies.”  A group of Catholic school boys really did get lost on a desert island in the south Pacific, but they were actually opposite what happened in the book. They made themselves a schedule of prayer and singing and work and took care of one of the guys who broke his leg and I think they even stayed friends for life. Sorry my paste still doesn’t work but it was in the Guardian. 
I was reading an interesting discussion about it and someone said, you know this book ais usually taught to be about what happens to man outside of society, but the boys in the book do form their own society so it’s really more the author contemplating, how to human societies become monstrous, e.g. Nazism. It would be an interesting paper to compare/contrast the book to real life and speculate on why the two societies turned out so different. 

See, I think part of the problem with books like that, and Animal Farm, etc. is that kids today don’t have the background to make it meaningful. My son read Animal Farm this year and had very little context to make it work for him, Communist Russia and Nazi Germany are relegated to a page or two of facts in a dry history book. Kids are not taught about the propaganda techniques used in Nazi Germany. And nobody even studies the Rwandan Genocide,  but what propaganda techniques were used to convince normal, healthy regular people to turn on their neighbors and kill them with machetes? And doesn’t anyone see any parallels in today’s “crisis”?  A lot of these books were written to address societal problems, and unless we give kids a background in said societal problems.... reading the book is going to be a huge waste.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Blessed Memorial Day!!! ((Junie)). Thank you for sharing about your dad.

I don’t know what I’m going to do all day. DH wants to go somewhere,  but we don’t know if the national parks are open and don’t really want to step out into the fray. Not that we are afraid of catching anything, but we don’t even know if Parks are open and all that. Bleh. We all have a case of the resentments today.

Amen!

13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

See, I think part of the problem with books like that, and Animal Farm, etc. is that kids today don’t have the background to make it meaningful. My son read Animal Farm this year and had very little context to make it work for him, Communist Russia and Nazi Germany are relegated to a page or two of facts in a dry history book. Kids are not taught about the propaganda techniques used in Nazi Germany. And nobody even studies the Rwandan Genocide,  but what propaganda techniques were used to convince normal, healthy regular people to turn on their neighbors and kill them with machetes? And doesn’t anyone see any parallels in today’s “crisis”?  A lot of these books were written to address societal problems, and unless we give kids a background in said societal problems.... reading the book is going to be a huge waste.

and Amen!

• Thanks 1

EdPo

So it's rainy here today and DH is going through a couple of remaining boxes from our move(s), and I am cleaning the school room and trying to decide on stuff for next year.  I started back before covid but DS started thinking that he might want PS next year.  Then covid.  Now I am behind the 8 ball in planning because I had my head in the sand.  All I have is my rough "homeschool through high school" plan and I really don't know if it fits DS anymore.  Plus, we're nearing high school so now I'm worried about missing something.  Sigh.

I tried to do another year of Ancients this year, but DS was over it, not interested.  So we switched to US Gov and Civics via Khan.  It's been fine.  My question is what to do for next year.  I'm thinking of just launching into Guest Hollow's High School American History Year One.  Anyone do that?  Too much for an 8th-grader?

/EdPo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Yes, I think that a large part of literature in high school is that high schoolers are just not ready.  Good literature is pushed on kids too soon and they don't get the full value of it.

Re: Animal Farm -- Ds19 has always been interested in history and politics.  I gave him Animal Farm without any explanation.  Just something like, "Here.  I want you to read this.  I think you'll like it."  He read the book quickly and then came to me and told me who each of the characters represented and this is this and that is that.  He really enjoyed it because he got it.  

• Like 3

Morning. I'm writing stuff that isn't great literature today, and I'm pretty much okay with that. 🤣

I came to see if we had a tater tot, but apparently the tot is a stubborn kind of tater. But it will be a precious tater.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ikslo said:

EdPo

So it's rainy here today and DH is going through a couple of remaining boxes from our move(s), and I am cleaning the school room and trying to decide on stuff for next year.  I started back before covid but DS started thinking that he might want PS next year.  Then covid.  Now I am behind the 8 ball in planning because I had my head in the sand.  All I have is my rough "homeschool through high school" plan and I really don't know if it fits DS anymore.  Plus, we're nearing high school so now I'm worried about missing something.  Sigh.

I tried to do another year of Ancients this year, but DS was over it, not interested.  So we switched to US Gov and Civics via Khan.  It's been fine.  My question is what to do for next year.  I'm thinking of just launching into Guest Hollow's High School American History Year One.  Anyone do that?  Too much for an 8th-grader?

/EdPo

Hmmmm....  I have not used Guest Hollow's American History, but I used some of their biology resources one year and for us we ended up not using much of it because we wanted a more get 'er done approach instead of all the living books.  <Here, come take my CM/Classical homeschooler card.  😆>  So consider how streamlined you want vs. how much you want to chase the rabbit trails, kwim?  (Or maybe I have the wrong impression of it....)  Also, I have a US history thread on the highschool board right now and so does another poster, if that's helpful.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Hmmmm....  I have not used Guest Hollow's American History, but I used some of their biology resources one year and for us we ended up not using much of it because we wanted a more get 'er done approach instead of all the living books.  <Here, come take my CM/Classical homeschooler card.  😆>  So consider how streamlined you want vs. how much you want to chase the rabbit trails, kwim?  (Or maybe I have the wrong impression of it....)  Also, I have a US history thread on the highschool board right now and so does another poster, if that's helpful.  

I personally prefer the get 'er done approach.  But the years we did the living books for stuff were the ones he was most engaged and learned the most.  He loved Guest Hollow's Jr Anatomy, I think it was?

Hmmm...will have to think.  Off to look at other threads.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I have never taken a lit class.

High school. 

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I have an announcement.  My puppy was born last night.

As you were.

Congratulations! I didn't know you were expecting.

1 hour ago, ikslo said:

EdPo

/EdPo

We're doing ancient for you if that helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

I think she has to wait until it is old enough to leave mom before she can bring it home?  

Yes - 8 weeks.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

But I want a picture...

Me too!  The owner hasn't sent or posted pictures yet.

32 minutes ago, Slache said:Congratulations! I didn't know you were expecting.

Pregnancy only lasted about 60 days.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

What do you not understand about never?  Lol!  It was maybe incorporated into an English, but nothing obvious.  And I never was required to read anything mentioned here.  The only book I read that was required was The Andromeda Strain 

That's an odd choice for assigned literature.   It would have fit into my SciFi class but no regular English class I ever heard of.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Just a regular English 10th grade class.  And Shakespeare in 12th.  I was never required to read any other assigned book or anything.   I chose everything else.

ETA:. I absolutely LOVED that book!  And I don't like scifi!

I don't think I've read this.  Sounds like a good one!

Here's an ed-po that I can't take advantage of....  I saw an ad on Facebook and clicked it for a writing workbook from "Learning Without Tears."  I suppose that's the newish name of Handwriting Without Tears?  Anyway, the writing workbook is called Building Writers.  It's a series that goes up to 5th grade, but the covers have letters (A - F), so grade level is not on the book.  It appears to cover narrative writing, information writing, and opinion writing in a user friendly manner.  Maybe this has been around for awhile, but I had never seen it before.  You're welcome!

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Day!!

Hot!!🔥🔥🔥🔥☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥😩😩😩

Busy!!

Two Zoom meetings for work, in between those I have to take my two oldest to school for a drive-through thing to pick up their stuff. I am imagining that to be a total zoo. A bunch of kids who haven’t seen their friends in two months? Come on, who are we kidding? 

• Like 5

Morning. It's looking like a wash today as far as doing anything, but I still have hopes of a morning spent picking blueberries. Got our masks for working outside and everything. But I'll have to check the message later, because the weather really is supposed to be dicey today.

Got ten million reading and critiquing things to do today. First order of business is to set them all out and prioritize, then get them checked off my list one by one. 

• Like 6

Morning.   I cancelled algebra this morning, and dd cancelled our workout so I'm going to do laundry and clean. Yippee.  So much fun.

I still have to set up school.  Since our lake is open, I'm going to set up the same amount of school for the kids but give them two weeks to do it.   At least a few mornings a week, I'll wake them up, go workout with dd early, get home for lunch and go to the lake after lunch.   Other days, like when I have algebra, it won't matter and we won't go to the lake or go later in the afternoon/after dinner. 

At least that's the tentative plan.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

Good morning!  Go Spudz, Go!

The iPad has been occupied this morning by the youngers looking at puppy videos.  We told them last night about the puppy and they are still pretty psyched.  There's now a  paper taped to the wall where they are putting down suggestions for names.  Everything from Butterscotch to Keith.  ?  Lol.

At breakfast I was reminded of "Sit, Ubu, sit.  Good dog." Anyone remember where that's from?

Coffee!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Go Spudz, Go!

The iPad has been occupied this morning by the youngers looking at puppy videos.  We told them last night about the puppy and they are still pretty psyched.  There's now a  paper taped to the wall where they are putting down suggestions for names.  Everything from Butterscotch to Keith.  ?  Lol.

At breakfast I was reminded of "Sit, Ubu, sit.  Good dog." Anyone remember where that's from?

Coffee!

That was the tv producers “trademark “ that came at the end of tv shows like Family Ties. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello, ladies, I remembered to come back today, lol.  Nothing much going on here today except recycling and of course dropping people off and picking them up.  Anybody got any dinner ideas for me?  Extra points if it can be done in the air fryer, DH is loving air fried french fries and i'm determined to learn to make more stuff in that thing.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Hello, ladies, I remembered to come back today, lol.  Nothing much going on here today except recycling and of course dropping people off and picking them up.  Anybody got any dinner ideas for me?  Extra points if it can be done in the air fryer, DH is loving air fried french fries and i'm determined to learn to make more stuff in that thing.

air fried fish and chips?  Or chicken and chips?  https://www.foodfaithfitness.com/crispy-air-fried-fish/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Renai said:

W'sup? I am not going back to read 10 pages.

I threw a tantrum earlier today and put myself in Time Out.  It's nice here.

I didn't realize that we only have 4 tortillas in the house, so for dinner we are having Tacos and/or Rice de Carnitas.

• Like 3