Menu

What's with the ads?

3 hours ago, Renai said:

That's the main reason I got a passport. Why is he going to China?

His work. A company there makes machines for his company and he needs to go over there and make sure they are doing a good job. Or something like that. He’s going to be at the plant for two days. 

Well, there you go.... It’s. Business Trip Booya/h. I haven’t had a Booya/h in so long I almost forgot how to do it.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

I can hear “Sweet Caroline” From over the neighbor’s fence. Who blasts Neil Diamond??🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tell me to go to bed... Captain will be awake at 7 am and no Scotsman here to keep him from poking me in the eye.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Tell me to go to bed... Captain will be awake at 7 am and no Scotsman here to keep him from poking me in the eye.

Go to bed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I saw Andromeda tonight. And M13. Saturn. Jupiter and 4 moons.

#stargazing

#amazing

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Stargazing is fun with phone apps. I remember looking at stars with my uncle at the cranberry bogs and wondering what he was talking about??? I saw a spot of light.  Never was good at constellations. Now I can have my phone tell me what stars I’m looking at

• Like 8

Monday is the Autumnal Equinox . Do you think that they are celebrating the start of fall a bit early?

Wouldn't you "shoot off" a bat signal for Batman Day?  Or is Batman Day a day off for him? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I can hear “Sweet Caroline” From over the neighbor’s fence. Who blasts Neil Diamond??🤣🤣

Boston Red Sox fans.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

I slept well.  I don't feel great, but I don't feel terrible, either.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Anyone know the difference between the different What Your __ Grader Needs to Know editions? Scotsman wants me to use them as read aloud/guidelines. Or should I ask on the main board?

JoJos Mom, I have always wanted to watch that show!

Hunter (do you remember her?  she used to post a lot a couple years ago) preferred the original edition, but I don't remember why.  You might try searching the board and see if you can find her old posts. 

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Glee fans.  Or swimmers.  It's always a good swim meet when they play Sweet Caroline and every swimmer and all the people in the stands sing along.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Hunter (do you remember her?  she used to post a lot a couple years ago) preferred the original edition, but I don't remember why.  You might try searching the board and see if you can find her old posts. 

Glee fans.  Or swimmers.  It's always a good swim meet when they play Sweet Caroline and every swimmer and all the people in the stands sing along.  

Oh, I didn't know it was a thing among swimmers, too.  How fun!

• Like 4

Morning. I'm supposed to be taking a short vacation today. Naturally, we are up early, I'm sick at my stomach, broke out in cold sweat, and needed to sit down for a few in the darkness. Haven't even had tea yet. Been sneezing so much my neck is out, but I have muscle relaxers to take if it gets much worse. Go me.

• Sad 7

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Our new neighbors who are from Houston.  I think the guy must be in the witness protection program because the lady has never mentioned his existance ever.  But we know he is there, because of his weekly diy garage D.J.ing gig.  He plays nice music, at least!

• Like 2

Good morning!

(((Critter))) Hope you are feeling better soon!

Church is normally starting right now, but dds10&13 have a children's choir thing at a church in The Big City.  Dd10 is feeling fairly stuffy, so we gave her some medicines and are waiting a half hour to see if she feels up to going.  Ds24 left at 6:30. Ds14 is canoing.  Dh and dd16 are waiting to see if dd10 will go or not and then either stay home with her while I bring dd13, or go to S.S. and late service.

Coffee!

• Like 4

You all are invited to my Back Deck Pilgrimage Concert.  It's free, and snacks will be provided.  Jean will bring the root beer. 

Today's lineup features Jenny Lewis, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Wynonna & The Big Noise, and dozens of others.  The Foo Fighters are closing out the festival at 6:30.  

You may or may not be able to hear much other than the Foo Fighters - they're pretty loud. :laugh:

• Like 7

Hi.

7 hours ago, ikslo said:

Stargazing is fun with phone apps. I remember looking at stars with my uncle at the cranberry bogs and wondering what he was talking about??? I saw a spot of light.  Never was good at constellations. Now I can have my phone tell me what stars I’m looking at

Which app? We're doing classical astronomy this year using MP. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

Hi.

Which app? We're doing classical astronomy this year using MP. 

Star Chart

I just picked a random free one before we left.  I don’t have an opinion of it compared to others.

• Like 3

Just now, ikslo said:

Star Chart

I just picked a random free one before we left.  I don’t have an opinion of it compared to others.

That's the one we use. It's mostly accurate. The paid ones are only mostly accurate though, so we stick with it.

• Like 2

Just now, Slache said:

That's the one we use. It's mostly accurate. The paid ones are only mostly accurate though, so we stick with it.

I found I had to redo the location finder when we got there because it was far enough away (45 min) that things were off.  Once I aligned it with our new location, though, we were good to go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Renai said:

I think I'm going to rent a small storage room temporarily so I can clean the house. We live in 659 sq ft and there is nowhere to put anything. I want to take most things out, and not bring back anything unless I really want them. This includes furniture. Everything else will be trashed or given away. I need to decide what size I need. I want room to sort into three divisions: keep, give, trash. I am dividing the apartment into three areas to work in one at a time. I will do the work while Gymnast is at school (3 days), during the times I'm not working...

Part of the work is emptying the blue car, which has sat nonfunctional since it broke down on the last day of school of one of the schools worked at about 5 years ago. There's some teaching materials in it, and slowly became a catch-all for other things (dh's weed whacker is in there for some reason). I do go out looking for specific teaching things I know I have, but don't have room to store in the apartment because it's too cluttered. I'm on the waiting list to get the car towed to the junkyard (and earn a little cash), so should get to emptying it.

I had to laugh at this, because dh’s old truck used to serve the same purpose. His weedwhacker was in it for a while too, along with all the other carp that wouldn’t fit anywhere else.  When we finally got rid of the truck, he got my old civic, and I got a new (used) minivan. 

Guess where the weedwhacker and other assorted carp went then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I found I had to redo the location finder when we got there because it was far enough away (45 min) that things were off.  Once I aligned it with our new location, though, we were good to go.

Sometimes ours is reversed and we need to move our phones around a bit.

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Sometimes ours is reversed and we need to move our phones around a bit.

I didn’t have that problem, but I’ll watch out for it.  

DS’ astronomy co-op teacher was there and had his own telescope and green laser.  He was really good at pointing out constellations to anyone who asked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ikslo said:

I didn’t have that problem, but I’ll watch out for it.  

DS’ astronomy co-op teacher was there and had his own telescope and green laser.  He was really good at pointing out constellations to anyone who asked.

It's always 100% reversed so it's a dead giveaway. The sun is fairly easy to spot.

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's always 100% reversed so it's a dead giveaway. The sun is fairly easy to spot.

Well, the sun was kind of below the horizon when we were out, so... 🙄😂 

#felpful

• Like 1

Yesterday was apple picking and saucing (2 bushel’s worth) with extended family day.  Loved it but it took every drop of energy out of me. And since I couldn’t get going fast enough for church...today  is now a planning and prep day for me.  Which is much-needed as I haven’t had a lengthy chunk of time to myself since early August.  

Step one... pay bills!

• Like 6

Happy Sunday!

I think I am finally starting to get over this crud. Maybe I'll actually feel decent by tomorrow.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Well, the sun was kind of below the horizon when we were out, so... 🙄😂 

#felpful

But it won't be in the app. That's we knew right off the bat.

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Church!!!

MIL’s birthday party is this afternoon!! I was asked to bring a snack. I’ll be making chips and Cowboy caviar.

• Like 5

Good morning!  We are mostly staying home today.  Or completely, if I wait til tomorrow to go to children's place.  I have place cash to spend that ends tomorrow.  Ds needs a few more things.  

I watched our Virginia church service online.  Dh is so congested (nose, polyps, allergies).  Neighbor kid stayed over last night.  

I have read some of a book, cooked eggs for burritos, had supplements and coffee, loaded and started the dishwasher, and straightened the extra room enough for our friend to bring the bed in.  He will be here soon.  Dh got the fall decorations out of the attic for me, and I have the shower curtain and bathroom rug washing, while I go through the rest of the box.  I will probably finish decorating today.  

Sportsball is on and I might take a nap.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 7

Bills paid, along with switching almost every payment link to a new credit card.  (Second time we've had to do that this year due to fraud.) I say almost every link because the insurance payments require real-life phone calls from both dh and myself.  Blach.  And since I'm currently blaming them for playing loosey-goosey with my card numbers in the first place, I'm not sure I'll link them up anyway.  (*I have precisely zero hard evidence that they are at fault.  But SOMEONE is at fault and it might as well be them.)

Next up:  punch holes in kids notebook pages.  

After coffee. 

***Stay tuned for more updates on Duck's Exciting Sunday!***

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm back from the Big City Church.  It was lovely.  Dd10 stayed home, but the church put together a little bag of candy for all the choir members, and they gave one to her even though she wasn't there.

We might get some rain this week.  Not holding my breath

I'm working on church children's choir stuff and need to get out the bin of fall decorations, which I think must be in the attic because it's not in my closet or the pantry.

Dd10 just "flotted a swy".  :laugh:  I think she's still half asleep.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Scotsman made it to Drammen, Norway and his hotel. The hotel resturant was closed so he went to--- MCD'S! He says they have fuzzy paper straws. So weird. He left his work badge here, though. He will be a visitor, anyway. He says the hotel makes you pay $18 for each 24 hour period to park your car there. I told him that doesn't sound right, and he should check with someone at work tomorrow about it. Turns out it is pretty warm there. Too bad I didn't pack him any short sleeve shirts. I always forget he is like a walking furnace. It's that Scots constitution. Look at those men in kilts in winter!

I didn't get to sleep last night until after 2:30 am. I know I am not the only one who doesn't sleep well when their hubby is gone. Really, I watched 3 Mission Impossible movies and waited to get sleepy. Never happened. As predicted, Captain was up at 7 am, but he gave me a kiss instead of poking my eye. I managed to get everyone (even the sickies) to shower. This is an event as mine seem to think water and soap are their enemies!

Church today was just ASD Boy and me as the others are nose faucets. I had 14-15 kids in Nursery today with mostly just me and my helper. 14! One Spanish kid's mom dropped him off screaming cause she had a class to teach. He kept screaming until a family member (I guess) snuck in with a yogurt drink which he drank and stopped screaming. That kid has screamed every Sunday since he started sort of, kinda coming at 18 months. All my Spanish kids do the exact same routine. If parents would just be consistant about showing up, the kids would stop screaming and adjust. Is it a cultural thing? SIGH! Well, I am not the parents so none of my business. I think I may need to send out a letter saying as much--nicely. 

I am about to suggest they split the Nursery into English and Spanish cause it is so disturbing to the other kids. I have a lot of kids on the Spanish roll-- most decidely enough for their own class. Maybe they would have better luck getting these kids to adjust/actually show up. I don't know. I think this whole half English/half Spanish thing is the most ridiculous experiment ever. The kids/youth are combined but the adults aren't. It really does not work well. My guess is that the Spanish will either be spilt offically from us again or dissolved into the English Church boundries.

I really should do laundry. I really should plan for the week. I really should spend time here while Captain is taking a nap. I'm going to eat cookies...

• Like 3

I hate it when I'm the last person to post on a previously active thread. It makes me feel like I was The Thread Killer. Or maybe what I said was so profound no one has anything to add. Riiight!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I hate it when I'm the last person to post on a previously active thread. It makes me feel like I was The Thread Killer. Or maybe what I said was so profound no one has anything to add. Riiight!

We ITT'ers specialize in thread killing!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I finished the choir seating chart.  It's like figuring a logic puzzle.  These two should not sit near each other, this child needs to be surrounded on all sides (i.e. not sit on the front or back rows or on an end seat), stronger/older singers on the back 2 rows to sing the 2nd part, these 3 won't be at the service, etc.

• Like 3

Barbaravan is in trouble. She's making screeching noises, clunking noises, grinding noises and is lower on one side. I'm estimating that she needs about $1,500 in repairs and we have... less than that. Matt has an appointment on Tuesday to pick up a rental car so we can keep the income coming. We actually wanted a rental car from the get-go, but didn't have money for the deposit. Since we do not have an infant car seat anymore we can fit all five of us in the sedan that he is picking up. I will be calling our insurance on Tuesday to see if I can put it on hold as we will no longer be driving the car until further notice. I could be completely wrong, and it could be a $60 fix, but we spent the end of our money trying to fix it and can't risk all we have left with a possibility of no more income.

So now Matt has a mandatory day off tomorrow (but no car) so we're getting some stuff done around the house.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

We went to church choir practice. Dh and ds14 were the only males. I sang tenor with ds14 but dh had to carry the bass line alone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

(((Barbaravan)))  I'm sorry you are feeling bad.  Get better cheaply!!

We are having IP potatoes with toppings and a mixed greens salad for dinner.  

• Like 3

I am back from MIL’s birthday party. Had a great chat with SILs and we even hammered out the holiday schedule and a bridal shower for recently engaged niece. My Cowboy Caviar turned out delicious. Took home an empty bowl. Yay!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe how fast today went.  I went by the science center and cleaned up some stuff, reorganized, then had to go to AFSA for a few things, then worked on class plans, then dinner at my moms, then back home to finish up class plans, now I need to write out some tutoring plans, and I really should set up school for the week but ugh, I'm tired.    But if I don't set up school tonight, I probably won't get to it until Tuesday night because tomorrow is class until 2, tutoring until 3, drive dd to tkd, back for tutoring at 4:30, home for a quick dinner, back to the center for 4-H by 6:30pm, then hopefully home by 8:30pm, but I"m sure I'll be wiped.  

• Like 4

Oh, except my brother is coming over for dinner Tuesday night so it's unlikely I'll set up school then.  Crap, I better do it now.    

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I had to laugh at this, because dh’s old truck used to serve the same purpose. His weedwhacker was in it for a while too, along with all the other carp that wouldn’t fit anywhere else.  When we finally got rid of the truck, he got my old civic, and I got a new (used) minivan. 

Guess where the weedwhacker and other assorted carp went then. 

Where DID all the other stuff go?

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Church today was just ASD Boy and me as the others are nose faucets. I had 14-15 kids in Nursery today with mostly just me and my helper. 14! One Spanish kid's mom dropped him off screaming cause she had a class to teach. He kept screaming until a family member (I guess) snuck in with a yogurt drink which he drank and stopped screaming. That kid has screamed every Sunday since he started sort of, kinda coming at 18 months. All my Spanish kids do the exact same routine. If parents would just be consistant about showing up, the kids would stop screaming and adjust. Is it a cultural thing? SIGH! Well, I am not the parents so none of my business. I think I may need to send out a letter saying as much--nicely. 

I am about to suggest they split the Nursery into English and Spanish cause it is so disturbing to the other kids. I have a lot of kids on the Spanish roll-- most decidely enough for their own class. Maybe they would have better luck getting these kids to adjust/actually show up. I don't know. I think this whole half English/half Spanish thing is the most ridiculous experiment ever. The kids/youth are combined but the adults aren't. It really does not work well. My guess is that the Spanish will either be spilt offically from us again or dissolved into the English Church boundries.

No, it is not a "cultural" thing. Unless you are asking if some kids are more attached to their families than others? That may or may not be cultural. I've known kids from different backgrounds scream every day they arrived to nursery/daycare/childcare/prek, and not adjust. They just weren't ready for that type of setting.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

We're having Kima.

I had to google and go through a KIMA tv station, facebook pages, twitter, Wikipedia and Kima spiders, before actually finding a recipe for Kima. Unless you were planning on eating spiders. Next time, LINK. It 's your thing, you know?

Edited by Renai
I apparently don't know what a space bar is.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I had to google and go through a KIMA tv station, facebook pages, twitter, Wikipediaand Kima spiders, before actually finding a recipe for Kima. Unless you were planning on eating spiders. Next time, LINK. It 's your thing, you know?

Kima.

• Like 1