Menu

What's with the ads?

12 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's true, but these changes happened before I'd really lost any weight - within a week or two at most.

Interesting! Are we blaming the white flour then?

It's a white flour is of the devil Booya! We should have more of these.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Slache said:

Interesting! Are we blaming the white flour then?

Maybe.  I've gone through other periods of 2-3 months when I didn't have white sugar or flour and ate an extremely clean diet but didn't have those effects.  But it could be. 

Dd13 is showing me videos of hiking at Crater Lake.  Apparently we MUST go there as soon as possible!  :biggrin:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Maybe.  I've gone through other periods of 2-3 months when I didn't have white sugar or flour and ate an extremely clean diet but didn't have those effects.  But it could be. 

Dd13 is showing me videos of hiking at Crater Lake.  Apparently we MUST go there as soon as possible!  :biggrin:

It is the most beautiful water I've ever seen. And there are many other reasons to go to Oregon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

It is the most beautiful water I've ever seen. And there are many other reasons to go to Oregon.

Like our hiking trip on the Via Alpina Purple Trail, the 101/Pacific Coast Highway road trip is going to take 2 months.  

• Like 2

Homeschool is done.  I think.  I'm done.

The dramatic children actually settled down and finished their assignments for today and tomorrow. 

I'm not sure how this happened, but I am grateful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Yay Junie!

Two things that I realized recently about my diet - since within the first week, I've no longer needed to take any tums for acid reflux, (which used to be a nightly thing, sometimes waking me up more than once a night), and my ears no longer get clogged.  I don't know why the diet would be effecting my adenoids, but it is, somehow.  

Reduced inflammation.

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Lack of inflammation?

See? (Seriously, google "diet and inflammation." Inflammation is the root of much disease.)

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Oh, and because everyone is dying to know: I got a second place for one of my watercolors of a magnolia flower. The grand champion and reserve were an oil of Elvis and an acrylic of a rooster. Feel free to giggle. I did.

But were they painted on velvet?

52 minutes ago, Junie said:

Tears.

Drama.

Accusations.

This has been my morning homeschooling.

Duct tape.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

White flour is the only major elimination - I already ate very little white sugar.  I actually eat more (100% whole) wheat now than I did before, though it's not much.  It could be that even the little amounts I had were enough to cause allergy/inflamation reactions.

That's true, but these changes happened before I'd really lost any weight - within a week or two at most.

I totally went low carb, but yes, those changes happened with me before I lost any weight.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I slept well, and probably 8 hours, but I just wanted to go back to sleep when I had to get up!  

Taking kids back and forth all morning, working this evening, someone coming to measure a window this morning, and we're having chicken salads for supper.  I guess I'll cook a couple different flavors of chicken this morning.

I straightened, dusted, and roomba'd the living room, vacuumed ds room, cleaned the kids bathroom, cooked three kinds of chicken, loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the cooking mess, and folded a load of laundry.  The window has been measured and ds picked up.  Taking DD to school soon and working later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I totally went low carb, but yes, those changes happened with me before I lost any weight.

I'm not sure why low carb has not helped me over the past few years.  Stupid Body.  A long while ago it was immensely effective.  

• Like 3

Mama needs to make a to do list but she's afraid to.

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm not sure why low carb has not helped me over the past few years.  Stupid Body.  A long while ago it was immensely effective.  

It might be how you define low carb. Someone who allows themselves to eat 150 grams of carbs per day is going to eat things that someone who only allows themselves 50 grams is not.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slache said:

Mama needs to make a to do list but she's afraid to.

It might be how you define low carb. Someone who allows themselves to eat 150 grams of carbs per day is going to eat things that someone who only allows themselves 50 grams is not.

Make a quick to-do list and throw it away quick.  Repeat until the list no longer scares you.

Yeah, my low carb was way on the low side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Ds and I stopped by Dollar tree.  We needed straws.

I'm eating a chicken Caesar salad.

Buy extra.  They might be worth a fortune on ebay in 20 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I wish that I could chocolate away a kidney stone.

Have you tried putting two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. of water?  I drank a lot of that to help dissolve my kidney stones. 

• Like 2

Random Musings:

Life is calm right now and I am very very slowly attacking some of the backlog of clutter and things-to-do in my house.  The regular routines of school and basic housework have long been established here but those took so much time that I never seemed to be able to get to the extras.  I feel like Sisyphus's rock has shrunk just a little bit. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Have you tried putting two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz. of water?  I drank a lot of that to help dissolve my kidney stones. 

Does it work if the stone is already moving?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Does it work if the stone is already moving?

Sure.  The acidic water is going to move along the same pathways as the stone, if you know what I mean, giving it an opportunity to dissolve the stone even a little bit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Make a quick to-do list and throw it away quick.  Repeat until the list no longer scares you.

But that's more to do!

41 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Ds and I stopped by Dollar tree.  We needed straws.

I'm eating a chicken Caesar salad.

I didn't mean to quote this. Hi.

23 minutes ago, Junie said:

I wish that I could chocolate away a kidney stone.

Chocolate milk. Duh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

(I think I clicked on the wrong Susan post, BTW.)

The only thing that I could think of to identify what it is about your current diet is making your body happy would be a food/symptom journal. My conclusion on diets:  Every body is different, and women's bodies differ over time (child-bearing years, peri-menopause, menopause.) What works for one person may have no value for another; what works for one body during one season of life may not work in another. I do know, however, that gut health and inflammation control increasingly appear to be key to good health. I'm glad you've found something that makes your body happy. Because I ❤️ you. 🙂

• Like 4

Spritzer, our old gelding, was just diagnosed with PPID (Equine Cushing's disease.) Inflammation control and diet are linked and incredibly important in animals, too.

As is mental health. Spritz was a rescue. He was one of several Arabians seized from a guy who was going to make a million dollars breeding Arabian horses (and the way you successfully make a million dollars breeding horses is by starting with ten million.) Spritz was found locked in a stall, starving to death. It's bad enough to be starving, but it's REALLY bad for a prey animal to be both trapped and starving. Spritz has suffered from anxiety his whole life (animals can suffer it too), and I am now thinking that the stress hormones have been negatively affecting him his whole life. He was diagnosed with ringbone, an arthritic, ie, inflammatory, disease,  as a relatively young horse (before he was given to us), and I would now put money on the development of that was linked to cortisol/insulin/inflammation issues. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

33 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

(I think I clicked on the wrong Susan post, BTW.)

The only thing that I could think of to identify what it is about your current diet is making your body happy would be a food/symptom journal. My conclusion on diets:  Every body is different, and women's bodies differ over time (child-bearing years, peri-menopause, menopause.) What works for one person may have no value for another; what works for one body during one season of life may not work in another. I do know, however, that gut health and inflammation control increasingly appear to be key to good health. I'm glad you've found something that makes your body happy. Because I ❤️ you. 🙂

:wub:

Yes, that's what I've come to realize.  I was convinced for so long that "X, Y, & Z" ways of eating/living were the correct and healthiest, that following this current program was pretty hard to sell myself on.  But after so many years of having no results, you just have to try something else.  And Bob's your uncle! Or aunt! :laugh:

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Just now, maize said:

I'm pretty sure that 16 years of habitual sleep deprivation has played a big part in my weight gain.

Life.

Yes.  It's amazing how hard I had to fight for the not-quite-8-hours of sleep I got last night.  From when I started to go to bed and dh's comments of "what - going to bed so early?" and the dog's pokeyness in getting herself to bed (pre-bed pottying) to the fact that it was Grand Central Station around here in noise from 6:30 am on. . .    Plus - I was in bed for over 9 hours and 20 minutes and still got less than 8 hours so there is the falling-to-sleep time and the waking-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night time to account for. . .   I want to slap my doctor when he says "make sure that you get enough sleep". 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Spritzer, our old gelding, was just diagnosed with PPID (Equine Cushing's disease.) Inflammation control and diet are linked and incredibly important in animals, too.

As is mental health. Spritz was a rescue. He was one of several Arabians seized from a guy who was going to make a million dollars breeding Arabian horses (and the way you successfully make a million dollars breeding horses is by starting with ten million.) Spritz was found locked in a stall, starving to death. It's bad enough to be starving, but it's REALLY bad for a prey animal to be both trapped and starving. Spritz has suffered from anxiety his whole life (animals can suffer it too), and I am now thinking that the stress hormones have been negatively affecting him his whole life. He was diagnosed with ringbone, an arthritic, ie, inflammatory, disease,  as a relatively young horse (before he was given to us), and I would now put money on the development of that was linked to cortisol/insulin/inflammation issues. 😞

24 minutes ago, maize said:

I'm sorry about the horse JJM 😞

It's treatable, though. Expensive, but treatable. He will now be on two meds for the rest of his life. If he responds well to to the pergolide, in a couple of weeks he should be feeling peppier than he has for a while. (He's been acting old since spring, but I attributed that to the fact that he's, well, old.) I didn't want you to think that he had to be put down.

• Like 7

JAWM edpo: Other people have too much impact on our school calendar.

I wanted to take a week off after 6 weeks of school (i.e., week 7 on my calendar). But now DH's company is sending him out of state to a meeting in week 8, and we'll probably go with him, but we have to be home in time for a family member or two coming on Friday for a wedding the subsequent weekend, meaning week 9 will be affected. [DFM almost always stays until Monday afternoon.] We have to take off week 11 because DH's parents are coming for his birthday. Thanksgiving is week 13, and I will probably need to have a light week the following week to get ready for Christmas, which is week 17. And Bob's your uncle™, there goes the fall semester! My dad asked us to visit week 18, and I've said I don't think so.

#controlfreakINFJissues :willy_nilly:

/edpo

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

JAWM edpo: Other people have too much impact on our school calendar.

I wanted to take a week off after 6 weeks of school (i.e., week 7 on my calendar). But now DH's company is sending him out of state to a meeting in week 8, and we'll probably go with him, but we have to be home in time for a family member or two coming on Friday for a wedding the subsequent weekend, meaning week 9 will be affected. [DFM almost always stays until Monday afternoon.] We have to take off week 11 because DH's parents are coming for his birthday. Thanksgiving is week 13, and I will probably need to have a light week the following week to get ready for Christmas, which is week 17. And Bob's your uncle™, there goes the fall semester! My dad asked us to visit week 18, and I've said I don't think so.

#controlfreakINFJissues :willy_nilly:

/edpo

I concur!

Edited by Slache
concur sounds better than agree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

((Whitehawk & schedule))

My INFJ solution to scheduling breaks is to not schedule them. Possibly the worst possible solution. 

I need the kids to get to the van And not dawdle!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

I liked this post because everything in it is really on target. And because he was lucky enough to be rescued by someone who has done everything right by him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

INTJ--I just come up with a new system whenever we need a break. 🙄

I'm still dealing with my current headache, but you know--I'm sensing that something is going to give soon. I really hope it does.

• Like 6

So I know the answer to this is going to be, "Yeah, right, Bookie," but does anyone remember the story I had a dream about a year or two ago? The one about the woman who lost her husband and kids and moved into a haunted house and became an alcoholic, only to eventually bring down the local drug lord and find love and regain her life and sanity again? I never wrote it because it was set in Florida, of all reasons, and I was afraid it wouldn't be authentic from a woman in Michigan. Then I forgot about it in the crap that happened, and *then* I got this writing job, and all other writing went out the window.

Wouldn't you know, I've had a week off of work while I wait for my client to place his next order, and I had that dream again. I think I need to write it.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

So I know the answer to this is going to be, "Yeah, right, Bookie," but does anyone remember the story I had a dream about a year or two ago? The one about the woman who lost her husband and kids and moved into a haunted house and became an alcoholic, only to eventually bring down the local drug lord and find love and regain her life and sanity again? I never wrote it because it was set in Florida, of all reasons, and I was afraid it wouldn't be authentic from a woman in Michigan. Then I forgot about it in the crap that happened, and *then* I got this writing job, and all other writing went out the window.

Wouldn't you know, I've had a week off of work while I wait for my client to place his next order, and I had that dream again. I think I need to write it.

I thought you were going to say: "Wouldn't you know, it just happened to a friend of mine in real life!"

Yes, write the book. :)

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

At least write it down in a spot where you can play with it as it develops, Bookie! I have a file where I put those ideas when I get them if they don't just strangle me and push me in the chair to start working on them immediately. I'm looking at you, paranormal fantasy novel....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1