Menu

What's with the ads?

Now I'm hungry for shrimp. Not relatively affordable, though. I like catfish.

ETA: I went fishing and caught a Booyah!

Now, how do I cook it?

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

My brain is melting and dripping out my ears.

Please post a picture of it, because my kids don't believe me when I tell them this will happen if they spend too much time staring at a screen!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I have the first month of Life Lessons 101 set for the turtles. This month will be called: It's Hard To Be Mom. Each boy will get one day per week of being responsible for his usual chores, his school work, the housekeeping for the day, and cooking the evening meal.

This novel idea brought to you by Mom who just got accused of "liking" cleaning and "hating leisure" because I put the television remotes away and wouldn't let the turtles put their shoes on top of the piano bench. Bwahahahaha!

It's just one day a week. I'm not completely evil.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

I can't yet enroll anyone in "It's Hard to Be Mom 101," but I have three taking the prerequesite,  "Cooking With Mom's Help So That, Assuming Mom Survives Cooking with Mom's Help, Mom Can Dream Of You Cooking For Her Someday."  

It's exhausting.  DD 8 just made ratatouilles with my "help."  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I can't yet enroll anyone in "It's Hard to Be Mom 101," but I have three taking the prerequesite,  "Cooking With Mom's Help So That, Assuming Mom Survives Cooking with Mom's Help, Mom Can Dream Of You Cooking For Her Someday."  

It's exhausting.  DD 8 just made ratatouilles with my "help."  

Yep. It's going to be an absolute mess for a while. I think we'll need to always have sandwich fixings on hand in case.

• Like 7

I'm off to buy school supplies.  I cooked a nice dinner, but all the sweet fangs are looking for something else to nibble on for afters. Sorry, crew. No dessert tonight. There's grapes. Eat grapes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Filled out and submitted apartment rental application for Ds and a college buddy in Phoenix. Please pray that it is accepted etc preferably before we leave for camp because trying to coordinate this while doing camp (and away from my records) would be difficult. 

• Like 6

(Is there a PlanningPo warning I should employ?) 

Earlier whitehawk said something about looking at her fall schedule and wondering how everything was going to fit, realizing it just wasn't, and how interesting it will be to see what doesn't. I wish I could make quote work right now, because it completely described a challenge I've been having the last few days. I think I'm done pouting about it all now and I'm ready to find some solutions, so I was wondering if you would give me your best tips? 1.) How do you work from home, homeschool, parent, schlep kids around, stock the house, plan everything, cook, clean, and not collapse in exhaustion? 2.) What are you teaching your kids about balance? What contributions do you expect, and what happens when they balk? My circumstances aren't going to change, so I have to find ways to make it all work. You have all done that so well in your own lives. How did you do that?

I figured out I have six main roles, for the most part: wife, mom, teacher, cook, housekeeper, and family brain. I've gotten decently good at al of them over the years, working hard to educate myself and change habits when I need to, but now I'm trying to add in a seventh - wage earner - and other pieces are starting to wobble. It's scary and hard, because these are really really important pieces. I've been working part time for a year now, and I'm still making it too hard, but I can't think of a way to make it easier. When you can't drop anything, but you can't do everything, what do you do? So far I'm working on redirecting any panicky thoughts to considering what the major goals are for *whatever this time is meant to be used for* so I don't get myself off track with a thousand rabbit trails, and I'm considering using a time tracker for a few weeks and seeing where my time is actually going.

I'm not done with either manuscript yet. This is my first professional screw up since I went back to work, and it's shaken my confidence. I don't like screwing up. I'm not fired, but I'm not especially popular right now, either. I'm thankful to still have a job. Our co-op starts September 10, and I think I'm going to make September 9 our first day of school. Before then, I have two manuscripts to write and edit, the rest of school to prep, and 4 books to prepare for Book Club (I'll probably just prep the first, and work on it all semester). We're also adding in speech therapy for SuperDude and piano lessons for Reader and Runner, but I don't have times yet, so I can't rework the schedule until probably next week.

In happy news, VBS was a blast last week, and the people running the bouncy houses let Squishy jump around in between groups of big kids. This week we did the big registration event for co-op, and next week we're visiting a friend's farm. And apparently, Baby is the size of a large mango and weighs a pound.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Earlier whitehawk said something about looking at her fall schedule and wondering how everything was going to fit, realizing it just wasn't, and how interesting it will be to see what doesn't. I wish I could make quote work right now, because it completely described a challenge I've been having the last few days. I think I'm done pouting about it all now and I'm ready to find some solutions, so I was wondering if you would give me your best tips? 1.) How do you work from home, homeschool, parent, schlep kids around, stock the house, plan everything, cook, clean, and not collapse in exhaustion? 2.) What are you teaching your kids about balance? What contributions do you expect, and what happens when they balk? My circumstances aren't going to change, so I have to find ways to make it all work. You have all done that so well in your own lives. How did you do that?

I figured out I have six main roles, for the most part: wife, mom, teacher, cook, housekeeper, and family brain. I've gotten decently good at al of them over the years, working hard to educate myself and change habits when I need to, but now I'm trying to add in a seventh - wage earner - and other pieces are starting to wobble. It's scary and hard, because these are really really important pieces. I've been working part time for a year now, and I'm still making it too hard, but I can't think of a way to make it easier. When you can't drop anything, but you can't do everything, what do you do? So far I'm working on redirecting any panicky thoughts to considering what the major goals are for *whatever this time is meant to be used for* so I don't get myself off track with a thousand rabbit trails, and I'm considering using a time tracker for a few weeks and seeing where my time is actually going.

I'm not done with either manuscript yet. This is my first professional screw up since I went back to work, and it's shaken my confidence. I don't like screwing up. I'm not fired, but I'm not especially popular right now, either. I'm thankful to still have a job. Our co-op starts September 10, and I think I'm going to make September 9 our first day of school. Before then, I have two manuscripts to write and edit, the rest of school to prep, and 4 books to prepare for Book Club (I'll probably just prep the first, and work on it all semester). We're also adding in speech therapy for SuperDude and piano lessons for Reader and Runner, but I don't have times yet, so I can't rework the schedule until probably next week.

In happy news, VBS was a blast last week, and the people running the bouncy houses let Squishy jump around in between groups of big kids. This week we did the big registration event for co-op, and next week we're visiting a friend's farm. And apparently, Baby is the size of a large mango and weighs a pound.

Bookie - your kids are 9 and under.  School is important but it isn't the MOST important.  I wasn't good at everything all at the same time.  I always said that my life was a wobbly three legged stool - two of the legs were solidly on the ground but the other one was not.  Which thing that third leg would be, would vary from day to day and week to week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Bookie, I don't know what to tell you other than when you have a full-time job, like writing, it's really hard to do more. There's a reason why I'm cleaning stuff every day because it built up during revision. There wasn't time to clean anything. I could just barely keep up with chores. I wrote over 140,000 words last month! That's me basically from chores in the morning until chores at night, writing. The boys have been enrolled in the Homeschooled-By-Wolves camp for neglected children (and done pretty well, all told) They've had to learn to feed themselves breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner because I couldn't make it. DH was good about stuff, and none of us died or had to leave the house without pants, but still.

And yet, there were days where we went out and the boys played on the river while I wrote. There were times we watched a movie together, or even traveled up-state to visit our favorite places. Somehow, I managed to adequately Mom, although I wouldn't be winning Mom of the year. But I have two kids, and they are both older kids now. 15 going on 16 is much different from having little ones. 

Looking at what you have there, I'd stay with super-simple for school, with one goal per child to work on, and plan to have all school done as efficiently as possible. I would drop all housekeeping down to chores only. I would suggest you drop book club and piano lessons, and only focus on the needed speech therapy. Basically, if lives don't depend on it, don't do it. But that's me, and I can live in a house where the floors haven't been swept in a good month or more.

As far as stocking the house? One little trick--I make the grocery list and DH goes and gets it. I don't go to the store any more. He's gotten good at it. And he's learned that he can fix himself something to eat, and that the boys handle their own meals pretty well. They are simple meals, but they work.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Bookie - your kids are 9 and under.  School is important but it isn't the MOST important.  I wasn't good at everything all at the same time.  I always said that my life was a wobbly three legged stool - two of the legs were solidly on the ground but the other one was not.  Which thing that third leg would be, would vary from day to day and week to week. 

I told Dave a few days ago that there only so many resources that I have to spend, and when they're gone, they're gone. I try to rotate what things are getting neglected so no one thing is left alone too long.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Bookie, I don't know what to tell you other than when you have a full-time job, like writing, it's really hard to do more. There's a reason why I'm cleaning stuff every day because it built up during revision. There wasn't time to clean anything. I could just barely keep up with chores. I wrote over 140,000 words last month! That's me basically from chores in the morning until chores at night, writing. The boys have been enrolled in the Homeschooled-By-Wolves camp for neglected children (and done pretty well, all told) They've had to learn to feed themselves breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner because I couldn't make it. DH was good about stuff, and none of us died or had to leave the house without pants, but still.

And yet, there were days where we went out and the boys played on the river while I wrote. There were times we watched a movie together, or even traveled up-state to visit our favorite places. Somehow, I managed to adequately Mom, although I wouldn't be winning Mom of the year. But I have two kids, and they are both older kids now. 15 going on 16 is much different from having little ones. 

Looking at what you have there, I'd stay with super-simple for school, with one goal per child to work on, and plan to have all school done as efficiently as possible. I would drop all housekeeping down to chores only. I would suggest you drop book club and piano lessons, and only focus on the needed speech therapy. Basically, if lives don't depend on it, don't do it. But that's me, and I can live in a house where the floors haven't been swept in a good month or more.

As far as stocking the house? One little trick--I make the grocery list and DH goes and gets it. I don't go to the store any more. He's gotten good at it. And he's learned that he can fix himself something to eat, and that the boys handle their own meals pretty well. They are simple meals, but they work.

I can't drop anything, for various reasons, but I am looking to make things as efficient as possible. Reader and Runner are doing more reading on their own this year than they have, and SuperDude's school consists mostly of phonics and me reading aloud to him. I also read aloud to Squishy then, so I'm doubling up, and I'm using a lot of audiobooks in place of me reading aloud for literature in school. Reader and Runner are able to make breakfast or dinner in a pinch, and I'm trying to get in the habit of doubling dinner or prepping ahead where I can. Dave pitched in on cleaning this week and knocked most of it out for us, but he hates the grocery store. For now, that remains mine. I'm trying to take a long view and be patient as I help my kids really nail our routine and work toward independence.

It all works okay until I get too tired and spend a day or two on the couch recovering. Then it all goes to crap and I scramble for days to get it all in balance again.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I have not been in this position but if I were I would rotate a 6/1 schedule.

6: Work, school, kids do chore cards, Dave does what kids can't.

1: Deep cleaning, 6 weeks of Junie style food prep.

I would also block out a daily schedule for work and school. And I would have Dave take the kids one day a week/fortnight/month where you just work. My husband takes the kids out for the day as well as camping once a year (ish).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have not been in this position but if I were I would rotate a 6/1 schedule.

6: Work, school, kids do chore cards, Dave does what kids can't.

1: Deep cleaning, 6 weeks of Junie style food prep.

I would also block out a daily schedule for work and school. And I would have Dave take the kids one day a week/fortnight/month where you just work. My husband takes the kids out for the day as well as camping once a year (ish).

I like this idea. Must ponder...

17 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I like this idea. Must ponder...

I did this last year but we're changing to a 9/2 because 6 was too short and 1 wasn't long enough to be productive and have a break but a lot of people like 6/1. And I'm not sure you're getting a break in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Last night I watched the pilot episode of The Middle (free with commercials on Prime) and it was so funny!  The girls' violin/viola teacher recommended it.

I love that show. Brick is an absolute hoot!! They all are. I love that show.

• Like 1

I decided, but now I have to buy some stuff. Bought notebooks for this year, but pickings were slim. Made me grumpy. Next year I'm shopping in July.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I love this answer!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Son 2 has one last day at home tomorrow. he will probably spend it like he has the past days: playing on his computer with intermittant breaks for Captain to give him slobbery kisses and hugs. OK, I'm doing it, too. 

I think what I am going to do is get Son 2 off then have at least a week of on-task schooling before re-evaluation. Stay tuned for the list...

Anyone need a crib? It is an IKEA Singlar used just for Captain. The mattress was the non-organic top of the line from target. Bookie?

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

A couple of things that have helped me:

15 minutes of cleaning -- everyone in the house cleans something for 15 minutes.  We set a timer and then everyone gets a Hershey's kiss or whatever when the timer goes off.  Obviously some of the kids are better at cleaning than others, but everyone is expected to participate (or they get to watch everyone else eat a treat).  I wish that I could figure out a way to do this every day.  Even once or twice a week helps, though.

We have two hours of scheduled quiet time every day.  It started out as "the Baby's Naptime" and has morphed into "Mom's Naptime".  My health has been kind of precarious and the daily naps help.  If you don't need a nap, you could use this time for writing or recharging or whatever.

Scheduling appointments that fit my schedule, not someone else's.  If the doctor's office says Time X and that isn't perfect for me, I will say, "How about Time Y?"  Sometimes I have to wait a few weeks to get the "perfect" time, but for most appointments that's fine.

As Slache mentioned: Making a double batch of the main dish and freezing it.  I don't have to do the full Once a Month cooking, but I have quite a few main dishes in my freezer that I can heat up pretty quickly and serve with SteamFresh veggies/rice/salad/fruit/whatever.  It can come together pretty fast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also, Bookie, every day here is pajama day (unless we are going somewhere).  It saves a ton of laundry!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lesson 4 printed, checked over, final item prepped, checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 9 printed, checked over, final item prepped, checked and packed in the car.

Lesson 7 is the final hold out but that just requires me to eat a lot of  yogurt in the next two days (for the containers).  The things I do for camp. . . .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I may have decided on a textbook for world history for dd15. I was just looking through previews when little kernel came up and asked to be put to bed so I'm currently snuggling him.

This planning stuff is hard!

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Junie said:

Most of my planning is: Do what the kids older than you did when they were your age.

Done.

Yep. Every so often we get something new, but not often. 

(And I have two graduates, so we’ve been all the way through school twice already - we’ve got the things.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yep. Every so often we get something new, but not often. 

(And I have two graduates, so we’ve been all the way through school twice already - we’ve got the things.)

Yes, my second is a senior this year.  We have added a few things here and there, but mostly it's the same thing.  Again and again and again...

• Like 3

(((bookie)))

That’s a full plate, especially with your kids’ ages.  I don’t work outside the home, so I can’t speak from experience, but I do rely a lot on dh’s help  (in his case, he shops).

Maybe if your dh doesn’t like shopping, he could do cleaning on a permanent, reliable basis? Or cooking? 

And I’m not sure what your laundry routine is like, but we have a pretty streamlined system that involves everyone; if you want the details. And YES to pjs at home, or rewearing play clothes, or whatever reduces the load sizes. (Shhhhh....Don’t tell, but I don’t wash kid sheets unless someone pees or vomits on them, or if I suddenly have a compulsion to do them.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is a newly hatched Monarch caterpillar on a milkweed leaf from our yard. You can see the remnants of his egg next to him.

Dime is for scale.

IMG_20190814_175032310~2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Son 2 has one last day at home tomorrow. he will probably spend it like he has the past days: playing on his computer with intermittant breaks for Captain to give him slobbery kisses and hugs. OK, I'm doing it, too. 

I think what I am going to do is get Son 2 off then have at least a week of on-task schooling before re-evaluation. Stay tuned for the list...

Anyone need a crib? It is an IKEA Singlar used just for Captain. The mattress was the non-organic top of the line from target. Bookie?

I'm sending you a PM. Thank you for thinking of me!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Junie said:

A couple of things that have helped me:

15 minutes of cleaning -- everyone in the house cleans something for 15 minutes.  We set a timer and then everyone gets a Hershey's kiss or whatever when the timer goes off.  Obviously some of the kids are better at cleaning than others, but everyone is expected to participate (or they get to watch everyone else eat a treat).  I wish that I could figure out a way to do this every day.  Even once or twice a week helps, though.

We have two hours of scheduled quiet time every day.  It started out as "the Baby's Naptime" and has morphed into "Mom's Naptime".  My health has been kind of precarious and the daily naps help.  If you don't need a nap, you could use this time for writing or recharging or whatever.

Scheduling appointments that fit my schedule, not someone else's.  If the doctor's office says Time X and that isn't perfect for me, I will say, "How about Time Y?"  Sometimes I have to wait a few weeks to get the "perfect" time, but for most appointments that's fine.

As Slache mentioned: Making a double batch of the main dish and freezing it.  I don't have to do the full Once a Month cooking, but I have quite a few main dishes in my freezer that I can heat up pretty quickly and serve with SteamFresh veggies/rice/salad/fruit/whatever.  It can come together pretty fast.

These are some great ideas. The doubling up and freezing thing definitely needs to become a habit. I do an hour of quiet time each day, which for right now is absolutely my nap time (Squishy's, too, when I can get him to still take one). I hope to make it another writing hour at some point, but for now I need the sleep. The scheduling thing trips me up all.the.time. I'll have a wonderful plan in place and we'll be doing great, and then we'll have a few doctor's appointments or whatever, and suddenly we're completely off schedule. I will look for good appointment times when I do the detailed weekly schedule next week, and make sure those times are the only times I'm scheduling appointments for.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

(((bookie)))

That’s a full plate, especially with your kids’ ages.  I don’t work outside the home, so I can’t speak from experience, but I do rely a lot on dh’s help  (in his case, he shops).

Maybe if your dh doesn’t like shopping, he could do cleaning on a permanent, reliable basis? Or cooking? 

And I’m not sure what your laundry routine is like, but we have a pretty streamlined system that involves everyone; if you want the details. And YES to pjs at home, or rewearing play clothes, or whatever reduces the load sizes. (Shhhhh....Don’t tell, but I don’t wash kid sheets unless someone pees or vomits on them, or if I suddenly have a compulsion to do them.)

Dave tries really hard to be helpful and involved, but he doesn't do anything reliably. I'm thankful for his help, but I don't count on it. I plan to handle everything myself and I take stuff off my list when he does them. I still have to have a plan and a routine to account for all of the necessary things, though. 

You are all so amazing. Thanks for the ideas. I'll let you know what I come up with!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, maize said:

This is a newly hatched Monarch caterpillar on a milkweed leaf from our yard. You can see the remnants of his egg next to him.

Dime is for scale.

IMG_20190814_175032310~2.jpg

I had no idea they were so tiny! That's amazing.

• Like 3

Good Morning!  First day of co-op for youngest dd and I.  (I was looking for insulated lunch boxes last night and found an insulated wine carrier, but I'm guessing that's not going to be considered appropriate.  😜)

Also, prayer request - some friends of ours have a baby with trisomy 18 (two months old now) and she is having heart surgery today!  

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

What word count are you aiming for per month?

It's per project more than per month. It averages 5,000 to 6,000 words per day, which allows time for editing and the occasional day off.

• Like 2