Menu

What's with the ads?

58 minutes ago, Renai said:

I agree. I don't have that negative image mentally attached to those letters.

Oh good grief.  I finally got the "dh issue".  For some reason I wasn't connecting the posts.  Clearly I am in need of brain food, in the form of chocolate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bookie, it sounds like you have some really solid plans - I love the Muggle studies!  :smile:

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headache is almost completely gone.

I did a lot of planning this week which means I wasn't sitting at my computer as much as usual.  Which means I also wasn't hydrating as much as usual.

I don't know if that's the reason for the headaches, but it is possible.  Also, we had a lot of storms moving through today.

• Like 7

I agree. I don't have that negative image mentally attached to those letters.

Oh good grief.  I finally got the "dh issue".  For some reason I wasn't connecting the posts.  Clearly I am in need of brain food, in the form of chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am back finally. I am semi-ketchupped. Hugs to all my dear ITT friends who need hugs. I love you all. 

I am tired. Left home at noon, came back at 8:30pm. Some parts of my day were good, others were not so good. And you know what?? This HRT is butt. I have got this big ol’ honkin’ zit on the end of my nose. I swear, I look like a 13 year old girl with wrinkles. It is enough to cause me to use foul language.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I made homemade mac-n-cheese with ground meat/mushrooms and fresh steamed green beans on the side. No one liked the green beans but me. What is wrong with my family? They all loved the pumpkin pie, though.

I just spent the last 3 or so hours reading through the Level 4 LA of TGTB stuff. WOW! She put an enormous amount of effort into that! The books are too old, though, for mine. She also advocates no books like Percy Jackson. Sorry, mine have read them several times. I am of the same religion as the author (but not from UT! UGG!) and can tell you there is nothing in there that isn't accepted by all of us who believe in God and Jesus Christ that I can see. I really don't get why people get their hackles up. I never see/read the same kind of thing for any other Christian publisher or maybe I just don't care enough to go look. Whatever. Options for us all, right? Anyway, it isn't for us as a family. 

Bedtime!

• Like 6

I just woke up from a dream.

Our whole family was inside our house.  I had just asked dd16 and dh to go to the basement to find some clothes to fit an unexpected overnight visitor (an acquaintance of dd16).

Suddenly I head this roar -- it sounded like a really low plane.  It was.  And it crashed in the neighbor's backyard with a boom!  The (non-existent in real life) boom woke me up most of the way, but not quite all.  I realized that I was in the middle of a dream and told myself to stay asleep.  I knew in my dream that my family was ok and it was ok to stay in the dream and get some sleep.  I didn't listen to myself and here I am.

I was awakened by another (non-existent) sound yesterday afternoon when I took my nap.  I dreamt that the CD player in the computer went haywire and started spinning the disk many times faster than what it is supposed.  The whirring sound got faster and louder -- and finally woke me up. 

Sigh.  I hope this isn't a new trend.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I was awoken by the cat - not near as interesting.  I'm not sure why she felt the need to interact with me.  Crazy cat.  I did doze back off a bit.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good morning!  It's Friday!

Jean, did the earthquake wake you up?  Everyone OK?

The girls' violin/viola teacher has a cat that will scratch at Teacher's feet at dark o'clock because she needs comraderie after waking.  She's also a guard cat and will stand and yowl between Teacher and Any Person she deems unworthy, including Teacher's dad.  :laugh:

Things to do.  Later this afternoon we take a road trip to ds14's cello lesson.  The kids want to go busking tonight. We'll see if dh is up to taking them.  The doctor yesterday gave him a shot of some anti-inflamatory which seemed to help, but when it wore off he felt worse than ever.  

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

I got back to sleep after the loud dream.  I finished the most important parts of school planning yesterday.  Now I have to figure out what to do with today.  Also, we need groceries.

• Like 4

Good Friday morning!!!  I didn't check in earlier, because I left for work early, so I could drop two mattresses off with ds35 at his work.  I'm here now, and the shop is mostly empty.  

• Like 4

And dd just might go to the private school where I enrolled ds.  They will do the same dual enrollment I was going to do anyway, but with about seven other juniors.  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I haven't looked at DoD yet, but is there a primary reason people hate it? Have you looked at Argument Builder?  That would be my main interest after AoA.

Dull. As.  Ditchwater.  And I cast eyes at Argument Builder, but, honestly, Logic got jettisoned when math grew to be the enormous Time-Sucking Monster. But it's a really cute, furry monster who is much loved. So I let it stay. In the house, and everything. (In other news, I was going to complain in my good morning text to the short person that it was going to be HOT today- well into the 80s. Then I looked at the weather in Philly. Close to 90 with 90+% humidity. Holy cow. My poor child is summering in the Ninth Circle of Heck.)

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I made homemade mac-n-cheese with ground meat/mushrooms and fresh steamed green beans on the side. No one liked the green beans but me. What is wrong with my family? They all loved the pumpkin pie, though.

Have you tried roasting them? Roasting vegetables turns them into veggie candy; it's magic! Just toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put them on a foil-lined sheet pan (then all you have to do is throw away the foil.) Roast in a hot oven until desired level of yummy is attained, stirring a couple of times. I like them in a REALLY hot oven, so there's crunchy ones. Tossing them in half butter/half olive oil is super fab.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Junie said:

I just woke up from a dream.

Sigh.  I hope this isn't a new trend.

I've had this happen...more than once. It is so strange to suddenly wake up to a loud noise that isn't there... I just lay there, trying to determine the source of the noise.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I've had this happen...more than once. It is so strange to suddenly wake up to a loud noise that isn't there... I just lay there, trying to determine the source of the noise.

Yep.  After I woke up a little bit I wondered if there actually was a noise that woke me up.  But, nothing.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

I slept till nearly 8:00 this morning. It felt good. Yesterday was so exhausting, both emotionally and otherwise.

Nothing much on the docket for today. Since I have a few students now and I made phone calls yesterday (svengo) and made the initial contact, I have a few things to do for them. They all seem very nice, so that’s all good.

DD1 (that would be oldest DD) comes home from camp today, so I have to remember to pick her up from church around 11:30:PST. DH comes home tomorrow. He’s supposed to be flying in to SFO around 11:00am. And with all the wonky time stuff, I think he gets home before he leaves.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

And with all the wonky time stuff, I think he gets home before he leaves.

:blink:  I know how it works, but it still messes with my poor addled brain!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

And with all the wonky time stuff, I think he gets home before he leaves.

Wow. When you put it that way...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!  Ds, aka Tech Support, has been able to pull the hard drives off of my old defunct laptops and seems to have found the lesson plans that I have been tearing the house apart trying to find! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

I slept till nearly 8:00 this morning. It felt good. Yesterday was so exhausting, both emotionally and otherwise.

Nothing much on the docket for today. Since I have a few students now and I made phone calls yesterday (svengo) and made the initial contact, I have a few things to do for them. They all seem very nice, so that’s all good.

DD1 (that would be oldest DD) comes home from camp today, so I have to remember to pick her up from church around 11:30:PST. DH comes home tomorrow. He’s supposed to be flying in to SFO around 11:00am. And with all the wonky time stuff, I think he gets home before he leaves.

Your Dh has invented time travel!  😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

And dd just might go to the private school where I enrolled ds.  They will do the same dual enrollment I was going to do anyway, but with about seven other juniors.  

Points for quoting myself!

Dd will only go for two classes, just like ds is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I went peach picking. This is my "good mom" week of the year. Fishing on Wednesday, peach picking and a homemade cobbler on Friday, and a trip to the river for fishing and boating on Sunday, and I have even decided to borrow a kayak so I can be taken exploring by my adventurous son. 

I think I deserve a medal. I am so horribly depressed by the summer and the sun, but I am trying! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

29 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I went peach picking. This is my "good mom" week of the year. Fishing on Wednesday, peach picking and a homemade cobbler on Friday, and a trip to the river for fishing and boating on Sunday, and I have even decided to borrow a kayak so I can be taken exploring by my adventurous son. 

I think I deserve a medal. I am so horribly depressed by the summer and the sun, but I am trying! 

You are doing a great job, Critter. I will give you a medal and erect a statue in the public square of you holding a kayak paddle in one hand and a basket of peaches in the other. 

• Like 7

DD is home from camp. I think it’s safe to say she had a blast.😩 (she’s talking a mile a minute)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!  Ds, aka Tech Support, has been able to pull the hard drives off of my old defunct laptops and seems to have found the lesson plans that I have been tearing the house apart trying to find! 

I have a couple of computers I need to send to him...

So, we went apricot picking yesterday. Today, I purchased jars and a small stock pot, and currently have preserves underway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ds14 is having a thoroughly grumpy day.  He has been sulking his way all through busking music practice and everything else.  We leave for cello lesson in 15 minutes, so hopefully an hour+ drive in the van will help him recover from whatever.

Dinner (for everyone but me) is frozen lasagna that will bake while we are gone.  Ds23 is having dinner at work, probably, if he stays for the work social event.  I think he might.

More coffee!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Ds14 is having a thoroughly grumpy day.  He has been sulking his way all through busking music practice and everything else.  We leave for cello lesson in 15 minutes, so hopefully an hour+ drive in the van will help him recover from whatever.

Dinner (for everyone but me) is frozen lasagna that will bake while we are gone.  Ds23 is having dinner at work, probably, if he stays for the work social event.  I think he might.

More coffee!

Hopefully he's not suffering from 14ness. That ailment can last a while.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I have a couple of computers I need to send to him...

So, we went apricot picking yesterday. Today, I purchased jars and a small stock pot, and currently have preserves underway.

Apricot anything is da bomb!!!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Apricot anything is da bomb!!!

It turned into apricot BUTTER, lol! But tastes good, mmmmm. There is a lot of liquid left, so I'm going to make jelly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It turned into apricot BUTTER, lol! But tastes good, mmmmm. There is a lot of liquid left, so I'm going to make jelly.

I made a batch that I just cooked down with sugar for an hour or so. It's so tasty. More of a spread than jam, but ohhhhh so good.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You are doing a great job, Critter. I will give you a medal and erect a statue in the public square of you holding a kayak paddle in one hand and a basket of peaches in the other. 

Awww! I'll look all pioneer mom and cute! 🤣 Better get me with my hair all wrapped up in a tea towel, like I do when I go to the lake because I can never find a bandana when I need one.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

I made a peach cobbler. I have plans for a rustic peach tart, a peach cream pie, and peach soup. What other amazing peachness should I make? There seems to be a lot of jam and jelly making going on around here...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I made a peach cobbler. I have plans for a rustic peach tart, a peach cream pie, and peach soup. What other amazing peachness should I make? There seems to be a lot of jam and jelly making going on around here...

Fresh peaches with ice cream.  Peach syrup?  Peach crisp.  Peach turnovers.  I tried to make a peach bread once and it was terrible.  Might have been my baking, though.

• Like 4

Dh took the kids out busking.  There is a political rally going on on the town square, so they had to find somewhere else down the street to play.  The weather is pretty good, at least, but they won't be able to get a spot in the shade.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Empanadas.

• Like 4

I wish I knew how to get Juliet to stop growling and barking at everyone. Ds has friends over and she sounded like she was going to tear them limb to limb. I mean ten minutes straight of this. She barks at our neighbors for daring to go outside. Everyone is nice to her. She’s never had a bad experience. It’s rude and embarrassing. 

• Sad 4

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I wish I knew how to get Juliet to stop growling and barking at everyone. Ds has friends over and she sounded like she was going to tear them limb to limb. I mean ten minutes straight of this. She barks at our neighbors for daring to go outside. Everyone is nice to her. She’s never had a bad experience. It’s rude and embarrassing. 

We have that problem here, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never made preserves.  

I like to dehydrate fruit for snacks.  But I haven’t done it in years.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ikslo said:

I want one of those big freeze-drying oven-looking machines.  My brother and SIL got one.  They freeze-dried pizza once. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, ikslo said:

My dh really wants me to try to do that. A dehydrator isn't in our future, and I just haven't tried it the old-fashioned way...

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I want one of those big freeze-drying oven-looking machines.  My brother and SIL got one.  They freeze-dried pizza once. :laugh:

I'm seeing Back to the Future 2 here. Rehydrate Level 4!

All this talk of fresh peaches and apricots is making my mouth water. Send some my way, please!

I did beaucoup shopping today-- Costco and WalMart. The angry tribe of "starving" Indians has been appeased wit the newly stocked pantry and freezer. 

Kids have finished AAS 2. I admit we skipped a bit. I'm not sure I want to buy AAS 3. I'm going to The Homeschool Store tomorrow to buy MORE stuff, so I need to make a decision by then.

Scotsman and I just watched Isn't It Romantic with Rebel Wilson. Oh my goodness! It was so funny. We loved it! 

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 4

Ds’s friends won Juliet over. Sort of. At least she didn’t eat anyone. 

Car people are really nice. These friends helped ds do an awful lot to his car. 

Actually I have found that most enthusiasts are nice, no matter what the interest. 

• Like 5

I am up early on a weekend because an old cat really wanted to find out what I was doing in "his" bed at four in the morning. I gave up trying to sleep thru the yowling at five. To be fair, he has a bad hip, and he really likes my bed to sleep on all day, but when he's in the bedroom at night, he doesn't sleep in the bed anyway. He sleeps in his basket in his room. 

I have to get up in ten minutes now and go to work in thirty. And my back is trying to go out on me. Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy. I've had exactly one "normal" sleep this week, and it's very wearing on my temper. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5