Menu

Ignore this thread!

I wish I had a picture of the quilt that I made for my mom to show you guys. She always said that she didn't think that I loved or even liked her. When I was young and didn't realize that was a manipulation tactic I decided to dedicate hours upon hours on a very intricate quilt so that she would see how I was willing to dedicate my time to something she would love. It has hints of her favorite colors but the main colors were complimentary to her favorite colors so that it looks really good in her house. It took me forever to make! It was so pretty!

For you quilters it was lovers knot. I know that's not super advanced oh, but it was for me!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How We Found The Can Opener - a short story

Dh calls FIL:  Do you have a can opener?

FIL: Go in my bedroom and sit in mom’s chair. Look down and to the left. 

Dh: Found it!

🤣

No.

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

That’s how my house works!

No.

Booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I made French toast for breakfast. And I don’t even like French toast. But I had made French bread yesterday and accidentally left the leftover loaf out all night, so it was stale. So, I made French toast. I ate Greek yogurt. So, basically, it was a multinational breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

How We Found The Can Opener - a short story

Dh calls FIL:  Do you have a can opener?

FIL: Go in my bedroom and sit in mom’s chair. Look down and to the left. 

Dh: Found it!

🤣

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That’s how my house works!

Same!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The top of Juliet's crate is next to my Armchair of All Comfort and acts as a side table.  I know exactly what "useful thing " is on there. And yes, I know that is an old person's trick. But I don’t care. 

I would never be able to find anything, ever. If someone put something in the wrong place I would just have to stand in the living room crying until someone came to rescue me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cookies are made. The chocolate chip cookies continue to irritate me, and so next year, I'll be tackling the monsters and making them as foolproof as the sugar cookies I make. GF baking is always an adventure.

And now I'm going out to see a waterfall and take pictures for my push toward working on more landscapes and whole body figure drawing next year. I have one particular project that I really, really want to do for exhibition next year if we do one, and practicing both those things will help me with it. Just feeling very at peace with myself today for some reason. Probably because the whole house smells like sugar and vanilla. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm more like Slache. If it's not where it's supposed to be, I get grumpy in the worst kind of way. However, I'm now used to my DH and both boys deciding that the kitchen needs to be rearranged every time they unload the dishwasher. I'm getting good at hide and seek.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

You obviously have a superpower not possessed by mere mortals!

The thing is.... I do put things away. In the same place. We have loved in this house a year now. The hand towels for the bathroom are always in the same cabinet, on the same shelf, and DH always asks where they are. In a kind of exasperated voice, like I hide them from him.🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Pies:  high sugar content should protect the pecan pie from going bad but not from nibbling mice. 

Good point. MIL just sent up some cool whip so it may be she wants to have the pies today. Otherwise we can store them in the cooler - tight lid will prevent little nibblers. 

• Sad 1

Dh and dd were cooking side by side in our 3 feet of counter space.  Dh is preparing sh** on a shingle for tomorrow's breakfast (also known as biscuits and gravy) while dd was making cookies (from rolled dough).  I think dh wants to bring the cookies down for his mom.  She used to make cookies but hasn't felt up to it the past few years.  

We head over to my mom's house for dinner in a few hours.  We do Christmas Eve dinner at her house, then oldest dd and my mom come over to our house for breakfast Christmas morning (tradition from when the kids believed in Santa Clause).  Then after lunch we're heading down to MIL's house.  

It's actually pretty relaxing, for me.  Dh does all the cooking for breakfast, my mother sets up a buffet for dinner.   I'm just relaxing with my foam roller for the sciatica.  it's feeling somewhat better.  I can sit without pain and I can walk without pain and I can sleep (for the most part) without pain, it's the moving from one to the other that hurts for a few minutes.  I guess it could definitely be worse. 

Dh is walking around like normal.  He isn't feeling any achiness or anything from his surgery and he says it feels less "tight" then it did before the surgery.  So, that's good too.  

Anyway, Merry Christmas Eve everyone!  

20191224_125649.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh and dd were cooking side by side in our 3 feet of counter space.  Dh is preparing sh** on a shingle for tomorrow's breakfast (also known as biscuits and gravy) while dd was making cookies (from rolled dough).  I think dh wants to bring the cookies down for his mom.  She used to make cookies but hasn't felt up to it the past few years.  

We head over to my mom's house for dinner in a few hours.  We do Christmas Eve dinner at her house, then oldest dd and my mom come over to our house for breakfast Christmas morning (tradition from when the kids believed in Santa Clause).  Then after lunch we're heading down to MIL's house.  

It's actually pretty relaxing, for me.  Dh does all the cooking for breakfast, my mother sets up a buffet for dinner.   I'm just relaxing with my foam roller for the sciatica.  it's feeling somewhat better.  I can sit without pain and I can walk without pain and I can sleep (for the most part) without pain, it's the moving from one to the other that hurts for a few minutes.  I guess it could definitely be worse. 

Dh is walking around like normal.  He isn't feeling any achiness or anything from his surgery and he says it feels less "tight" then it did before the surgery.  So, that's good too.  

Anyway, Merry Christmas Eve everyone!  

20191224_125649.jpg

Your dd is beautiful, your dh is so competent, and your blue and white kitchen is very peaceful.  😍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Why?  When?  How are you posting?  This seems like a bad idea the day before Christmas.  Unless you're trying to get a new phone.  

I found it! I got distracted. I was trying to find a shirt because I've worn the same shirt to church every day for 10 months.

• Thanks 2

I vote to devour the pie before the mice even have a chance at it.

I spent a good three hours in the woods. It was so delightfully quiet. We found a long stone wall that didn't have a house with it, but must have had long ago. Like to go back there and hunt around someday and see if we can't find the foundations. I took pictures of the river, and the waterfall, but there wasn't a lot of water right now. It should be a lovely place to visit in the spring, but we'll need to bathe in tick spray.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

True. And all that sugar and corn syrup retards bacterial growth.

I forgot to tell you guys how my no-corn syrup pecan pie turned out - Great!

8 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Dave deals with stress by reorganizing the house. It used to drive me crazy, but now I just ignore it until he tries to reorganize one of "my" areas - like the bookshelves or school supplies. Then I tell him what I need to functionally work, and he somehow makes it work, but better.

See, that's the thing. Dave has a unique ability to cut through the clutter and find the streamlined solution that works best. I don't always see the need for a change, but it's also rare that I'm bothered by the end result. So I don't get upset anymore, I just go about quietly doing my own thing so I don't get drafted into moving furniture. 🤣

I do the same. But I rearrange mostly because we can't move and that's the closest to moving I can get (military brat syndrome). It is also a good way to get rid of a lot of clutter too. I still have a lot of clutter though...

• Like 5

Home from Christmas Eve service and dinner.

The service was very pretty.  The service was mostly Christmas music, with some Scripture readings and a short devotional.  As one of the songs was beginning, our principal violinist realized that her music was missing.  Her husband (who was at the piano) quickly turned the first few measures of music into an intro for a Christmas carol.  The congregation sang three verses of O Little Town of Bethlehem before she was able to locate her music.  And then she played and it was absolutely lovely.  

Afterward our family went out to a restaurant for dinner.  I had asked dh earlier in the day if we could eat dinner out.  We almost never do this, so it was a really special treat.

• Like 6

Gift wrapping station is set up.  The older girls are going to bed, so now I can begin wrapping gifts.

I have piles of gift bags, sorted by size.

I have piles of tissue paper, sorted by color.  Each child will be assigned a color.  All of their gifts will be in bags with their designated color.  It makes passing out gifts so much easier.

I also have scotch tape and curling ribbon.  And several rolls of wrapping paper (that I am hoping to avoid using).

Be back in a little while...

• Like 5