Menu

Ignore this thread!

I've been thinking about the definition of yelling--I think what makes something "yelling" to me is not so much volume as irritation/anger.

That's where I'm weird; I don't get irritated/angry. 

According to my siblings this makes me a very strange human.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm doing laundry. Lots and lots of laundry because we are doing bedrooms today, and all the linens are washing. This is where I'd love to have a clothesline, but I don't. Oh, well.

Just have both boys hold the ends of a rope. It will deal with the drying and the boys.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, maize said:

I've been thinking about the definition of yelling--I think what makes something "yelling" to me is not so much volume as irritation/anger.

Yes -- and I think that this is the disconnect is with me and my kids' definitions of yelling.  "Yelling" across the house to call someone to come set the table is not "yelling".  I think I see the distinction as yelling for someone vs. yelling at someone.  So I guess I yell for my kids, but I try really hard not to yell at them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, maize said:

21 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yes -- and I think that this is the disconnect is with me and my kids' definitions of yelling.  "Yelling" across the house to call someone to come set the table is not "yelling".  I think I see the distinction as yelling for someone vs. yelling at someone.  So I guess I yell for my kids, but I try really hard not to yell at them.

There are always outliers, and I think I read that post in that thread before I realized that my situation fell into that category. I haven’t mentioned this, because it is a public forum and so I will not give details, but our oldest son is not longer living with us. He has had some extreme behavioral and mental health problems and he is getting help. But he turned me into a yeller. But not from anger or annoyance, but from fear and helplessness. I think once I figured out my situation with DS was an outlier I stopped reading parenting threads.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Dd is working a winter break camp for the week. 

I am meeting my “oldest “(in terms of how long I have known her) friend for lunch. My calculations say that we’ve been friends for 43 years. 

I still have tons to do downstairs. The water didn't soak as far as we thought in one direction but soaked much farther than we thought in another. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

There are always outliers, and I think I read that post in that thread before I realized that my situation fell into that category. I haven’t mentioned this, because it is a public forum, but our oldest son is not longer living with us. He has had some extreme behavioral and mental health problems and he is getting help. But he turned me into a yeller. But not from anger or annoyance, but from fear and helplessness. I think once I figured out my situation with DS was an outlier I stopped reading parenting threads.

It is so hard when you are in an outlier situation and everyone seems to think they know how to handle stuff but they've never faced what you have to cope with every day.

It's how I feel about marriage advice; people kept advising me that I just needed to get away with dh, go on more dates, etc. because this is how you improve a marriage.

Going on a cruise or arranging dates every week just isn't a solution to serious mental illness in a partner.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My son and I get mad, yell, cool down and apologize. It’s actually a lot healthier (in my opinion) than a situation where all anger is stuffed inside and comes out in passive-aggressive jabs. In a perfect world we might never get angry but I don’t live in that world. 

Emotions were never really talked about when I was growing up. Especially the “negative “ emotions like anger. I don’t think that belittling someone is right but I think that anger can be a legitimate emotion and can be expressed in ways that aren’t corrosive. 

I am not close to being a perfect parent (or spouse for that matter). This year has been a very difficult one. But I do my flawed best. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My son and I get mad, yell, cool down and apologize. It’s actually a lot healthier (in my opinion) than a situation where all anger is stuffed inside and comes out in passive-aggressive jabs. In a perfect world we might never get angry but I don’t live in that world. 

Emotions were never really talked about when I was growing up. Especially the “negative “ emotions like anger. I don’t think that belittling someone is right but I think that anger can be a legitimate emotion and can be expressed in ways that aren’t corrosive. 

I am not close to being a perfect parent (or spouse for that matter). This year has been a very difficult one. But I do my flawed best. 

I have a hard time understanding anger. It's not that I've never ever been angry, but I seem too have a very high emotional arousal threshold so it isn't something I experience often. I don't at a gut level understand why most people respond with irritation or anger to stuff (which is almost all the stuff) that I don't get emotionally aroused over. I watch and think "well that's a super illogical reaction" since anger doesn't usually contribute to any positive solution. 

Like I said, I am apparently a very weird human since my experience is clearly not normative.

While I agree that stuffing emotions inside and ruminating on them is unhealthy, I also don't feel like "express all the anger!" is a great solution because the hurt of things said in anger doesn't just go away when someone gets over their anger and apologizes.

What I think would be best would be people recognizing that yes, emotions are real and valid, but they are the responsibility of the person feeling the emotion not of the people around them. Attack mode--especially directed at family members--is probably not the best way to resolve problems.

I am way not an expert on all this though. It is super easy to talk about managing anger when I almost never have any anger to manage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maize said:

I don't yell at my kids. Maybe not never, but, like, probably less than once a year on average. My brother asked my kids once if their mom ever yelled and they looked at him like he had two heads or something.

I'm just weird that way. I'm crazy calm/laid back by nature, dislike people trying to control other people, and am hyper sensitive to verbal negativity. 

This basically describes both dh and I.  And our kids for the most part.  I'm not a yeller at all.  I do discipline when necessary but I'm very very slow to lose my temper.  I can think of only a handful of times it happened and they were always with other adults threatening my children in some way.   

As a family we also tend to be very sarcastic and snarky so that probably releases some tension, and none of us get upset at "disrespect" or tone of voice or eyerolls or any of that kind of thing.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

I felt a little put out that the hotel pool is being renovated. I chose this hotel because of the price and indoor pool - after getting up extra early and spending 12 hours traveling with 7 other family members, a little swim is a good way to wind down. And it’s a special treat for the kids who love to swim but don’t have access to a pool on a regular basis. Oh well.

Shorter drive today. 

Coffee!

Ugh.  I'm so sorry!  ((())) We had exactly this happen on our trip last spring.  ( I was not exactly the model of Christian grace. ) We found a new hotel + pool in the end, but it was suspiciously unclean (in spite of staff claiming otherwise) and 4 days later we were all horrifically diseased.  I think in the future I'll call before we set out on trip to confirm the state of any pool.  

Have a wonderful Christmas in spite of your disappointing journey! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Ain’t no party like a Scranton Party ‘cause a Scranton Party don’t stop!

Lol.  Maybe we hit the same hotel you did. 

BTW, Dh and I finally discovered The Office.  (Thank you, Free Netflix Courtesy of Verizon Guy Who Took Up Two Hours of My Time But Finally Saw Things My Way.) I can't believe we somehow missed that whole decade of television, but we did.   We are binging on it before the freebie runs out. 

I napped yesterday, then pulled an all-nighter to wrap gifts in peace, and slept in today (thanks to DH making breakfast and telling all the kids to keep quiet).  So gifts are done! 

Hoping to get a few side dishes made today.  Last year was chaotic so I'm motivated this year.  

Happy Christmas Eve Eve! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This has all been very interesting. I yell. I don;t cut down. We are yell-ers here. Not often. 

The Girl is outside on the front porch playing Monopoly with 2 other girls. The one is over here quite often. Sweet little thing. The other isn't allowed in our house by her parents. I think it is because we have teenage boys. They are from India so I wonder if it a cultural thing. The girl's grandparents live in our cul-de-sac. Her parents both work so she is at their house every afternoon and every day during vacation times. I met the dad once. He would not engage in conversation, never smiled, not even with ASD Boy. I get an 'off' feeling so after this summer, I told The Girl she wasn't allowed at their house or to go anywhere with them. We pay attention to these Mommy feelings. Anyway, it is a nice day, and they are having a good time.

The Girl also wrote/dictated to Dad her first "essay" and yes, I use that term lightly. I am going to paste it below. I think it is terrible (not telling her that). This reads so stifling. Her narrations and CAP Fable writing were much better. She is 11 yrs. 5 months. This is from a BJU English 5 book. Am I being too harsh?

Apartment vs House

I have lived in a house and an apartment and had an interesting adventure in both.

They are the same because they both have a glare, a nice bath, and there was pollen everywhere. They both had a really nice kitchen with an island, and they were both in good locations for shopping. Both of them had a bad echo so we put down rugs.

Everlee Apartments were different from the house because the apartment was small and new. It had a cool club-house, but I had no friends. The pool was open all year round, and they had a nice color scheme. There was no covered parking so our car was always hot. I needed to share a room with Malachi.

The house is different because it was big and I have my own room (most of the time). The pool is only open in the summer, and the house has ugly paint. There was a dog, so the house has animal smell and the washer stinks and the house has old appliances.

I like that they both have a nice tub and kitchen and I hope that reading this essay you will be more ready for a new experience.

My 12 year old LOVES creative writing and does a phenomenal job with it, but comparative essays like this would be hard for him, and he'd need a lot of hand-holding and guidance to accomplish it. Structuring an essay involves a different thought process and set of tools.  She's given lots of great information (some kids struggle to get anything out at all!) so I'd definitely call it a good start.  Often my son responds well to thought-provoking questions at this point (What was the new experience / move like? How did you feel about it? What advice would you give to a friend anticipating a new experience?...). Whatever works with the essay prompt they've been given. We talk about it and he then can focus his thesis statement and revise with greater depth. 

All that said, I pretty much wing it right now with writing.  We use online creative writing classes, do oral narrations, give occasional presentations, and otherwise no formal curriculum.  So not an expert here!  :biggrin: :ph34r:  

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

It should come as no surprise that Oldest is struggling in math. It's clear we CANNOT move forward until he memorizes his multiplication facts. How do I help him? He should've had these memorized by the end of last school year! He can figure it out but it takes for-ev-er and math is only getting harder and more dependent on his ability to quickly recall simple multiplication facts. Flash cards and speed drills are not the answer here. They cause tears and standoffs. I'm considering putting away our curriculum for now and trying Multiplication Facts that Stick to hopefully get him where he needs to be before moving forward. I'm open to suggestions. Ready, set, GO!

Xtramath.

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

It should come as no surprise that Oldest is struggling in math. It's clear we CANNOT move forward until he memorizes his multiplication facts. How do I help him? He should've had these memorized by the end of last school year! He can figure it out but it takes for-ev-er and math is only getting harder and more dependent on his ability to quickly recall simple multiplication facts. Flash cards and speed drills are not the answer here. They cause tears and standoffs. I'm considering putting away our curriculum for now and trying Multiplication Facts that Stick to hopefully get him where he needs to be before moving forward. I'm open to suggestions. Ready, set, GO!

I've sometimes used an approach of drilling the most challenging facts first, mixed in with some of the easiest to relieve stress. So I'd make worksheets starting with, say, lots of 7*7 and 7*8 mixed in with 2*2 and 2*3.

Next worksheet would have the same facts plus one more, say 7*6 (and 6*7 of course, facts are already introduced with their reverse). Kid can get through those quickly because there's only a tiny handful to remember and by the time they are getting to worksheets with lots of facts to remember they've drilled the harder ones enough that those are solid.

I've done the same thing with flash cards--take a handful of cards with several copies of the harder or newer facts mixed in with a few easy or well-known facts.

Not the answer for every kid but makes it low stress for some.

• Like 1

Critter said once that when she does math fact drilling she does it with the math fact posters behind her. If they don't know the math fact, all they have to do is look at it. This reinforces memorization without being so difficult and prevents the gnashing of teeth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've always let my kids use a chart while working on memorization so they can continue to move forward with concepts and not get bogged down or start feeling "stupid" because they feel like they are stuck and never going to get it.  For my kids, using the chart has helped them learn the facts through repetition without the stress of flashcards, while allowing them to see how they are really using the information. 

• Like 4

We were worried that the in-laws place would be freezing because they said the heat wasn’t working. It’s blazing hot in here. We opened a window even though it’s 29 degrees outside. They have no eating utensils. Good thing mil suggested that I bring plasticware. MIL did remember to take the turkey out of the freezer yesterday, but she put it in the laundry tub instead of the refrigerator as instructed. Svengo. I need to go turn on the oven and see what happens. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

It is absolutely not necessary to memorize multiplication facts in order to move on in math. My daughter (oldest) has a learning disability that makes memorization...extremely difficult, and math facts were not going to happen. But, this girl could do fraction equations in her head. So, nah, we weren't holding back due to math facts. (ETA) In fact, I had her in a Sylvan center once to help with some math stuff and specifically told them not to worry about multiplication facts, I just needed her to understand these other concepts. $1000 and one month later, I find them drilling her on multiplication facts and no ground gained on any other concept. I was livid and pulled her out and attempted to teach it to her myself again.

Get a multiplication chart and let him use it. How is it cheating? Isn't the goal accuracy and understanding how to work different equations? If the brain is stuck on the fact step, they lose ground and forget what's the next step. Get him a chart and move on. Really. It will be fine. It will come.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  Happy Christmas Eve!

Godspeed to all shoppers!

Eggs “best by” Nov. 6th, 2019. Eat or no?  (There are more recent eggs - not sure if I should just toss them or not.)

There is no coffee.  There’s a Keurig machine, but no reusable filter.  Any clever hacks for this?

Coffee?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good Morning!  Merry Christmas Eve!  I still need to wrap presents.  🙄

Susan, I think there's a good chance the eggs are okay, but given the inconvenience and discomfort of being sick the day before Christmas away from home and the cheapness of eggs, I would err on the side of throwing them out.  As for no coffee, that might require a trip down the mountain to a fast food establishment and for supplies for tomorrow's cuppa!

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

Merry Christmas Eve!

I still have a couple of Christmas gifts to buy and then tonight everything gets wrapped.  I have found that I can't wrap gifts early, because then I forget what I bought.  Plus, there's no easy place to store them.

We also have to grab a couple of items at the crazy-busy grocery store for tomorrow's dinner.  😞

And maybe we'll get some housecleaning done, but since no one is coming over, it really doesn't matter a whole lot.  I'm not going to stress over it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

For three years, I kept the multiplication tables on the wall, taped around the top of the room. While we drilled the tough ones every school day for almost a year, the boys would get paralyzed trying to recall them during work or speed drills. I told them not to stress. Try to remember the one they needed, and then look to confirm. That helped. It took the pressure off, and they got to where they didn't need the tables at all. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Happy Christmas Eve!

Godspeed to all shoppers!

Eggs “best by” Nov. 6th, 2019. Eat or no?  (There are more recent eggs - not sure if I should just toss them or not.)

There is no coffee.  There’s a Keurig machine, but no reusable filter.  Any clever hacks for this?

Coffee?

I'd probably eat the eggs, but use them for cooking due to the whites being loose after so long.

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!~D

Merry Christmas Eve!!!

We slept in this morning, since DH has off. I have wrapping today and some housecleaning. Tonight is Christmas at my Aunt and Uncle’s last night I. Was frantically scouring Target for gifts for my cousin’s two kids who we see once a year and I am not even really firm on their ages. But I settled on drawing pads and colored pencils. Target was a zoo last night, but the mood of the shoppers was rather pleasant. People were not cross when others got in there way, and perfect strangers were asking me questions. The only problem was a 20-something hipster who was talking to someone on blue-tooth and was quite free and loud with his use of the f-word. I gave him a dirty look. He was clueless. I don’t care how many people use that word, it is still vulgar and offensive.

• Like 3

I am so glad that we aren't hosting anyone for Christmas. Upstairs (we're a split level) is even more messy than usual because I have drainage pipes in bags in my living room floor. And of course downstairs we're still unearthing soggy carpet and tearing it out. Any Christmas pictures we take tomorrow will be carefully cropped so as to not show the mess!

• Like 2