Menu

Ignore this thread!

5 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:
  • Seven batches of meatballs in the freezer, and one batch bubbling in the sauce for tonight.  ✔️
  • Two coffee cakes made and frozen ✔️
  • the fridge cleaned out and stuffed with everything dh brought home (including the right turkey!) ✔️
  • and a relatively organized list of to-do's for the next several days has been made. Hopefully I won't lose it like last year's, and can refer to it next year. ✔️
  • Plus I collected all my holiday recipes into one binder so I'm not drowning in cookbooks (virtual and otherwise) for the next week. ✔️
  •  And I cleared off my very cluttered virtual desktop. ✔️
  •  And then I coffeed while learning all about applying wallpaper with liquid starch so it's removable.  (I have no intention of wallpapering anything. But there are Pinterest worthy prints out there, and this is why nothing is wrapped for Christmas yet.)✔️
  • Also, the new windshield is in.  Auto Glass Guy had to make two trips because the wrong one had been packed on his truck, but he was pretty chill about it.   I'm glad I was slow about sticking on my new 2020 beach pass sticker. The 2019 is in a glass morgue somewhere now, and I have a fresh canvas.  Laziness pays off yet again. ✔️

This deserves a round of applause as well as a trophy.  Well done!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Yep.

Can you imagine having 7 entirely free days at your disposal because you thought you'd be out of town?  And you already had all the holiday and general groceries on hand?  Holy Svengo Batman!  Oh well.  I AM very grateful that the engine wasn't blown or anything serious like that.

There's still time to fake it...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

There's still time to fake it...

I'd have a VERY hard time convincing dh. :laugh:

55 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yeah, I think you’re starting to feel a really bad and highly contagious cold coming on. Really, the only thing to do is cancel the trip and stay in bed watching Christmas movies.

Ds24 even went to the doctor due to his near-hypothermia temperature and achiness last night.  The doctor couldn't find a single thing wrong with him.  Sigh.  

At least we should be staying ahead of the rain and it's been warm enough to keep the roads clear.

We are all packed - except for violins and the kids' own activity bags and pillows.  I have "Amahl and the Night Visitors" and "The Composer is Dead" and "Peter and the Wolf" CDs for listening.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Can you imagine having 7 entirely free days at your disposal because you thought you'd be out of town?  And you already had all the holiday and general groceries on hand?  Holy Svengo Batman!  Oh well.  I AM very grateful that the engine wasn't blown or anything serious like that.

Yes. Yes, I can. Le sigh of contentment. That's the absolutely most perfect vacation ever right there.

• Like 2

I am still recovering from yesterday. Around ten in the morning, I ran out of steam. Determination got me through the rest of the work day, and then I went home. But I had to stop for a coke to see me through the rest of the celebration with family and so forth, which was really nice. But I got home, went to bed, and I really didn't rouse much until around eight this morning. I was that worn out. Going to take it relatively easy for the next two days if I can: lots of writing, reading, and low-intensity chores, cooking, etc.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Happy Christmas Sunday. We are having a combined service at church and no Sunday School. That makes me very happy. We get to sleep in and there’s better music.

We got our internet connection back last night and finished the movie. I love that movie. It is hilarious!!

Nothing much going on today. Just church. I think I will take middle DD to the Afsa. She wanted to get Christmas gifts for her sisters. How can you say “no” to That? The Atmospheric River is supposed to come today. Right now the sky is clear and beautiful.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Happy Christmas Sunday. We are having a combined service at church and no Sunday School. That makes me very happy. We get to sleep in and there’s better music.

We got our internet connection back last night and finished the movie. I love that movie. It is hilarious!!

Nothing much going on today. Just church. I think I will take middle DD to the Afsa. She wanted to get Christmas gifts for her sisters. How can you say “no” to That? The Atmospheric River is supposed to come today. Right now the sky is clear and beautiful.

Take that atmospheric river away  from us!  News reports yesterday said that it was “the gloomiest day on record “. I wonder how they measure that?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I came here to hide from all the education threads popping up like a crop of mushrooms after a rain. 🤣

Well, I do enjoy a good academic philosophy debate like anyone else, but what bugs me (and this does not pertain to any particular current thread, because i’m Not really reading them) is parents who have smart/cooperative/driven/interested children and use that as proof that their educational philosophy/methodology is the best because look at what their kids are doing. I remember being so irritated by these moms who brag at how their homes are “strewn with living books” and blah, blah, blah.. interest lead.... blah, blah, blah and i’m Thinking, yeah, my house is strewn with books, too, and they are used as roads for Hotwheels.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Or bases for Lego buildings 

Yeah, and the way they act like, "Oh!  Your home isn't like that??" And like it would work for everyone if we just follow their example.

Exactly. I think the best advice I ever got from these boards is...1) teach the kids you have and 2) the best curriculum is the curriculum that gets done.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm enjoying the threads.

Booya.

Well, you also have smart, interest driven kids. Though you also are a mom who recognizes this and doesn’t believe your homeschooling success is because of your own superior ideology and methods of implementing that ideology.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Truth!

I think some who think/say those things truly just have no realization that kids who don't learn easily or aren't that motivated actually exist.   And forget about the special needs possibilities!  😬

The same holds true for parenting threads. I stopped participating in those a couple years ago when one mom actually said, “I never yell at my kids.” And I just thought, either you are lying , lady, or you have the most compliant children on the face of the earth. And then I realized that some people think that parenting is all about them and what they believe about parenting and have no idea that most of what you do as a parent is in direct relation to how difficult or easy your child is to parent.  And I can say this from experience.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, you also have smart, interest driven kids. Though you also are a mom who recognizes this and doesn’t believe your homeschooling success is because of your own superior ideology and methods of implementing that ideology.

Dude, we are so far from what I had in mind... I don't even know what happened.

13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

The same holds true for parenting threads. I stopped participating in those a couple years ago when one mom actually said, “I never yell at my kids.” And I just thought, either you are lying , lady, or you have the most compliant children on the face of the earth. And then I realized that some people think that parenting is all about them and what they believe about parenting and have no idea that most of what you do as a parent is in direct relation to how difficult or easy your child is to parent.  And I can say this from experience.

Are you sure she didn't just mean that she doesn't believe in yelling at kids? I don't believe in yelling at them. If I were perfect I wouldn't.

Gonna try and upload a GIF.

20191128_155635-ANIMATION.gif

• Like 2

Oh! And regarding parenting conversations. We knew what we had when John was born. People used to tell us all the time that we must be the best, well-disciplined parents. We would just smile and nod. They said the same thing about Mary. They don't say that anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I made GF pizza, blueberry muffins, and cheese rolls. I read my Beta read. I wrote 3,000+ words, and apparently all the Christmas shopping is done. And tomorrow I'm going to the library because that's what I want to do. It is almost warm enough to play hooky and go fishing, but not quite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am in the worst flare. But we aren’t done with flood cleanup. 

I hope people have come over to help you with this!

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Well, I do enjoy a good academic philosophy debate like anyone else, but what bugs me (and this does not pertain to any particular current thread, because i’m Not really reading them) is parents who have smart/cooperative/driven/interested children and use that as proof that their educational philosophy/methodology is the best because look at what their kids are doing. I remember being so irritated by these moms who brag at how their homes are “strewn with living books” and blah, blah, blah.. interest lead.... blah, blah, blah and i’m Thinking, yeah, my house is strewn with books, too, and they are used as roads for Hotwheels.

I was going to say the same thing you said later about parenting methods. It's nice when people are blessed with enough children to help them stay humble. For me, one is all it takes! 😁 (And I don't yell in the sense of raising my voice, but I do scold.)

• Like 2

When I speak sternly, dh calls it yelling. Maybe I don’t recognize yelling?  I have definitely yelled, in addition to “speaking sternly”.  😁

Go Krissi, go!  Teaching Textbooks tends to get a lot of criticism, but it’s what got dd13 to stop crying at every math lesson and now *math gets done*. 

We’re almost to the hotel. Stopped at Wendy’s for dinner and I had chili. The weather, roads, and traffic have been great.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Junie said:

My kids say that I yell.  I call it scolding.  My dad was a yeller, and what I do is definitely not in the same category.

Yes. I do use the term to describe both in passing, but I believe that raising your voice in anger at your children is wrong and I can see myself saying "I don't yell at my kids" because I could be wording my actions poorly instead of saying "I don't believe in yelling and don't intentionally use it" and thought that might be the situation.

#ramblingsbyslache

• Like 3

I'm working on getting Christmas cards to send out tomorrow.  They won't be on time, but it's the first time we've sent out cards in about three years, so at least it's an improvement. :)  I wanted to include a picture of the kids since most of our relatives are out of state, so we had to wait until ds19 came home from college.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I can't do one more thing. I singlehandedly moved ten boxes of books.  Then I culled through a floor to ceiling bookshelf. Packed six more boxes with those books. Put three boxes of rejects in the Goodwill pile. (Dd and dh were busy the entire time with other flood stuff so while I was working alone, I wasn't the only one working.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

Good morning!  It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

I felt a little put out that the hotel pool is being renovated. I chose this hotel because of the price and indoor pool - after getting up extra early and spending 12 hours traveling with 7 other family members, a little swim is a good way to wind down. And it’s a special treat for the kids who love to swim but don’t have access to a pool on a regular basis. Oh well.

Shorter drive today. 

Coffee!

• Sad 3

Morning. Today I will be quietly arranging the next thing to do for school while avoiding questioning my educational philosophy because lazy and not doing that before January first when I resolve to try to be a better person. 

Other than that, lots of writing, painting, some cleaning, cooking, and plenty of reading. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I don't yell at my kids. Maybe not never, but, like, probably less than once a year on average. My brother asked my kids once if their mom ever yelled and they looked at him like he had two heads or something.

I'm just weird that way. I'm crazy calm/laid back by nature, dislike people trying to control other people, and am hyper sensitive to verbal negativity. 

My kids are certainly not compliant, if anything they are like me--the more you try to push them one way the more they feel compelled to go the opposite way. I get it, so I don't try.

Re: the bolded--yep! 

My mom always said she thought she had parenting figured out because my oldest sister was a preposterously perfect child--then my brother and I came along. And we were just getting started with breaking her in for the younger kids 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2