Menu

What's with the ads?

Apparently JoJosMom is not a fan of Saxon...

ETA:  Mathy Booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Junie said:

Nope!

• Like 5

I've been trying to pull myself together to plan for our upcoming school year. If I do come up with some plans anytime soon can I post them here for you guys to look at? I get tired of all the talking to myself inside my head about stuff and I have too many kids to want to post on all the separate grade level planning threads...

• Like 12

I keep giggling about the claro.

I'm simple. Funniest post ever:

Me: "There are like 8 children in my house and they're all dirty!" Lynn: "You did something wrong."

I don't know why, that one just stuck with me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Oh, and math at my house is All Saxon.  That seems to be really scary to a lot of homeschoolers, too.  I have everything from 5/4 up to Advanced Mathematics.  Something For Everyone!!

What do you use for K-3rd then? BJU Math is hard for me to swallow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

We used Abeka.

ETA:  I'm guessing that the Christian content is the problem?  I just looked at samples of BJU Math.  It seems that they include a lot more Christian content in their content subjects than what Abeka does.  Abeka has some, but it seems like it isn't as blatant as BJU.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, maize said:

I've been trying to pull myself together to plan for our upcoming school year. If I do come up with some plans anytime soon can I post them here for you guys to look at? I get tired of all the talking to myself inside my head about stuff and I have too many kids to want to post on all the separate grade level planning threads...

Yes!  Homeschool planning is our speciality!  😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We finished Greek Myths today! All the drill questions have been filled. I am so proud of us for seeing something through! By the end of July, we will finish MP States and Capitals, AAS bk 2, our current lit selection, Son 4's 4th Tiner science book, and DD's MP Mammals {Finally!}. I'm with maize in that I'm planning, sort of, what to do next or if we should do anything next. We won't finish math, grammar, or writing until the end of 2019. I don't want to waste time, either.

Anyway, I can't wait to see your plans, maize! And I am sorry about your BiL. That is so hard. Praying for the family.

Son 4, DD, Captain, and I started digging up the buried rock border in the front yard in preparation for the new mulch going in on Friday. They are all buried under layers of old mulch and mud. I probably should have worn shoes and work gloves. Like Slache, I go barefoot all day unless I'm going out somewhere. For me, it is my hip joints that hurt like mad. That didn't start until after I had Captain.

It's raining again. I wish I could send it to Europe to cool them off.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This question is what led me to Ray's arithmetic which is a multitude of fabulousness.

• Like 4

The little bear icon at the top of this thread for some reason looks like a toilet on my machine. Every time, I see 'toilet', not a blue bear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Slache said:

This question is what led me to Ray's arithmetic which is a multitude of fabulousness.

Must go looking now...

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Must go looking now...

Primary

Intellectual

So much love. Seriously. It's beautiful. According to the product description primary is for first and second and intellectual is for third and fourth but we did Primary in kindergarten and intellectual in first grade. Both are oral and we switched to Strayer Upton after that. I think my first grader had a better understanding of math than most 3rd graders. Math is not his specialty! Things are just laid out very simply and clearly and he got them. He was applying fractions to our hikes and could do mental math that would make a middle schooler blush. Now I'm having a hard time finding a program that suits him well because he struggles, but those early concepts that you need as a foundation he has an incredibly firm grasp on because of that program.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

The little bear icon at the top of this thread for some reason looks like a toilet on my machine. Every time, I see 'toilet', not a blue bear.

Don't talk about our founder that way!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I'm home!  After working all day, I met ddil back at our house, where she dropped off five of the grandkids.  Dh kept them and our two while ddil and I drove 1 1/2 hours each way to take oldest granddaughter to camp.  Ddil and I stopped for Mexican food on the way home.  😍

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Junie said:

We used Abeka.

ETA:  I'm guessing that the Christian content is the problem?  I just looked at samples of BJU Math.  It seems that they include a lot more Christian content in their content subjects than what Abeka does.  Abeka has some, but it seems like it isn't as blatant as BJU.  Hope that helps.

In the math and english, it is tolerable religious content. What bothers us is the approach to the fact families. It drove mine batty with all the "tricks". They prefered to just be told 3+4=7, memorize it, and move on. I thought ABeka was called the colorful R&S? Doesn;t it have loads of drill? I also have never been able to figure out all the books and bits I would need. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

What bear icon?  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

In the math and english, it is tolerable religious content. What bothers us is the approach to the fact families. It drove mine batty with all the "tricks". They prefered to just be told 3+4=7, memorize it, and move on. I thought ABeka was called the colorful R&S? Doesn;t it have loads of drill? I also have never been able to figure out all the books and bits I would need. 

Oh, well, I sort of skipped all of those parts.  I didn't even buy the teacher's manual.  Just the workbooks k-3 (x6).

I used it because I was familiar with it (I taught in a Christian school before kids) and I liked that it was more colorful than a lot of other options.  When I started I was clueless that there were different "approaches" to math.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

WARNING: EDPO!

I have decided to torture my kids with summer math.  Primarily the older two, but the younger two will also have some.

MwuaaaHaHaaaaaaa!

We are all doing math this summer. Both CLE and Khan Academy.  

• Like 5

We had dinner at my parents’ house. My mom made apricot pie and homemade vanilla ice cream. It was sooooo good,

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Slache said:

Primary

Intellectual

So much love. Seriously. It's beautiful. According to the product description primary is for first and second and intellectual is for third and fourth but we did Primary in kindergarten and intellectual in first grade. Both are oral and we switched to Strayer Upton after that. I think my first grader had a better understanding of math than most 3rd graders. Math is not his specialty! Things are just laid out very simply and clearly and he got them. He was applying fractions to our hikes and could do mental math that would make a middle schooler blush. Now I'm having a hard time finding a program that suits him well because he struggles, but those early concepts that you need as a foundation he has an incredibly firm grasp on because of that program.

Look what I found:

https://www.christianbook.com/page/homeschool/math/rays-arithmetic?event=Homeschool|1000116

• Like 3

Ok, I need an honest answer, people. 

EdPo:

I’m having trouble with history. I’m just homeschooling younger DDs this fall, 5th and 3rd grade. I’m going to do California history, but my curriculum is only about a semester long, if that, and I really do not want to try to drag it out. I am thinking about going back and doing SOTW 1 with the girls. I did it with them 3 years ago, and just didn’t feel like I did it justice. I like that book a lot and I think there’s a lot we can do, now that it’s only me and the girls at home. Do you think that would be a bad thing?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I've seen those and don't care. :laugh:

I like the simplicity of the original series. 

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, I need an honest answer, people. 

EdPo:

I’m having trouble with history. I’m just homeschooling younger DDs this fall, 5th and 3rd grade. I’m going to do California history, but my curriculum is only about a semester long, if that, and I really do not want to try to drag it out. I am thinking about going back and doing SOTW 1 with the girls. I did it with them 3 years ago, and just didn’t feel like I did it justice. I like that book a lot and I think there’s a lot we can do, now that it’s only me and the girls at home. Do you think that would be a bad thing?

No. Do it.

• Like 6

No one should take my advice on anything. My kid is in second grade and I didn't know I had plantar fasciitis for 3 months.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

No one should take my advice on anything.

We won't.  

😁🤭🤭😄😅😂🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I’m afraid that I don’t like Saxon. Or really anything too textbooky for kids under fifth grade. I like Singapore math even though it didn’t work for dd (though I think that it could have if she hadn’t set her mind against it). I did a lot of my own stuff with her. As well as actually teaching using Kahn Academy. 

• Like 8

Tonight I have some sad news.  Dd came to get me at bedtime to tell me that Cinnamon was not moving.  I had to take some of the cage apart to get at her but she is definitely dead and stiff as a board.  There is not a mark on her and she showed absolutely no signs of illness earlier today so we don't know what happened.  Rusty is his usual self so we don't think that it was environmental.  Maybe a heart attack? 

• Sad 13

I cancelled my camp for today.   One person had "signed up" her two kids (I put in quotes because she didn't send the form or pay) for the whole week.  Then said she'd do two days, then when I asked her if she was planning to register sent a form (but no payment) for just one day.   Then yesterday she said only one of the kids was coming.   The other person I had a discussion with about doing one day a week for all the camps but didn't confirm or register so I wasn't sure if they were planning to come or not.   So I cancelled.   Not worth doing this one for just one kid.  

My next camp is the week after next (away on vacation next week) and I have quite a few registered so that one will be fun.

• Like 8

I made a scheduling error and let dd12 go to camp when it was her week to do dishes!  :svengo:

I had to do dishes again this morning!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Tonight I have some sad news.  Dd came to get me at bedtime to tell me that Cinnamon was not moving.  I had to take some of the cage apart to get at her but she is definitely dead and stiff as a board.  There is not a mark on her and she showed absolutely no signs of illness earlier today so we don't know what happened.  Rusty is his usual self so we don't think that it was environmental.  Maybe a heart attack? 

I am so sorry, losing pets is hard 😞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I made a scheduling error and let dd12 go to camp when it was her week to do dishes!  :svengo:

I had to do dishes again this morning!

Ds13 is my dish-do-er, he is at camp all week as well.

After many failed chore systems I took someone's advice to put each of the older kids in charge of just one thing. Dd15 has laundry duty, ds13 has dishes, and dd11 has toddler/preschooler duty (as needed, not all day!)

It is actually working fairly well. Ds13 is inconsistent with dishes but getting him to do any chores at all in the past has been nearly impossible so I'm happy for whatever he does do.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, maize said:

Ds13 is my dish-do-er, he is at camp all week as well.

After many failed chore systems I took someone's advice to put each of the older kids in charge of just one thing. Dd15 has laundry duty, ds13 has dishes, and dd11 has toddler/preschooler duty (as needed, not all day!)

It is actually working fairly well. Ds13 is inconsistent with dishes but getting him to do any chores at all in the past has been nearly impossible so I'm happy for whatever he does do.

We have a similar system with 4 kids and the chores rotate weekly.

Dishwasher, Laundry, Dining Room, Meal Helper

• Like 4

Good morning!  We're at home today!  Technically off work, but have a conference call this morning and I have some invoices to work on.  I want to do so much today and have the motivation, but DC are sleeping in.  They need it since we have been non-stop for weeks.  So I guess I will just cool my jets.

We will need to go to the Post office later, and ds12 has been begging to go to the library.  Since they're next door to each other, I guess we will do that.

Now, what to make for supper.  I'm thinking tacos.

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!! I think. I am so confused as to what day it is.

Got up early and went with DH to take the car to the repair shop. He dropped me off at home and then went to his dentist appt. and then off to work. I hope they can fix it easily and quickly. And dare I say, “cheaply”?

DS is going to the mountains with his friend and friend’s family today, so it’s just the girls and I.

I’m so sorry about Cinnamon, Jeannie.😢 Our best cat Snowflake died unexplainably several years ago. Our best guess is that she had some sort of seizure,

• Like 7

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  We're at home today!  Technically off work, but have a conference call this morning and I have some invoices to work on.  I want to do so much today and have the motivation, but DC are sleeping in.  They need it since we have been non-stop for weeks.  So I guess I will just cool my jets.

We will need to go to the Post office later, and ds12 has been begging to go to the library.  Since they're next door to each other, I guess we will do that.

Now, what to make for supper.  I'm thinking tacos.

Our post office and library are next door to each other, too.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Junie said:

ETA:  Mathy Booyah!

I think Saxon is great for some kids. HOWEVER, if it is NOT a good fit, it can be a VERY.BAD.THING. Saxon left my child convinced that she was bad at math and that she hated it. Umm, NO. What a tragedy it would have been had she been left in that state. 😞

And you spelled BOOYA incorrectly. 🤨

12 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Math Mammoth or Singapore. I also love CLE, but it would flunk the religious content test.

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm sorry, Jean.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Our post office and library are next door to each other, too.

Our city doesn't have a post office.  It is a very sore spot for our city but the federal government has refused all requests.  Meanwhile I have driven through some "one horse towns" that have post offices. . .  

• Like 1

That woman is coming to visit the week before the wedding. What timing. Her husband's sister lives down the street from us.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Took care of Cinnamon's body.  That was difficult.  Not only was her death totally unexpected, she was barely 1 year old so not a geriatric pet who had had a long and happy life.  Though her short life was happy, I think.

• Sad 8

Juliet was just returned by a neighbor. I don't know why the males in this family have such a hard time understanding the concept of a closed gate. 

• Like 4

Good afternoon!

I missed the morning in a whirlwind of exhausted rushing around. We are back from the places and most of the groceries are put away and friends are coming over in 20 minutes.  

Anyone who wants to eat dinner tonight will be required to simply open the refrigerator and pick a variety or two of leftovers to eat.

More coffee!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet was just returned by a neighbor. I don't know why the males in this family have such a hard time understanding the concept of a closed gate. 

ENB's are needed at Jean's!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I made Susan and Junie cry. I don't mind that woman coming to my home. She ruined church for me and that's my only issue with her but I love her husband and look forward to seeing him. I'm just irritated by the timing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

I made Susan and Junie cry. I don't mind that woman coming to my home. She ruined church for me and that's my only issue with her but I love her husband and look forward to seeing him. I'm just irritated by the timing.

When someone's description in italics it usually indicates drama.  Drama usually makes me cry.  I should make a list of all of the movies that made me cry.  It would be a long list.

#1 on the list would be Mrs. Doubtfire.  I cried during that movie.  In a theater.  On a first date.  :svengo:  (There wasn't a second date.  I don't even remember who the guy was.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3