Menu

Ignore this thread!

We are back from the soccer game. We lost 14-3. Those poor boys. It’s a small team, so they all play the entire game. But they played well tonight, in spite of losing badly. And they got 3 goals, which is the most they’ve scored all season.

My famous potato soup has been eaten. With lots of cheese and bacon. Perfect after sitting out in the cold. And it was ready in the crock pot when we got home. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We’re getting another atmospheric river next week.  The weather forecast said we could get “menacing floods”. Menacing floods?? Who describes a flood as “menacing”?

We have the atmospheric river aka Pineapple Express already. It is coming down in sheets. And thundering. Floods are predicted here too but I live in top of a hill. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to dh's knee, we had to switch sides of the bed.   Our bed is blocked on three sides by walls (he basically built walls around our bed to make our "bedroom") and he usually sleeps on the inside.   His spot has outside walls at the head and side (I usually have just the window at the head and the walkway on the side) so it's colder.  Plus I was trying hard not to accidentally kick or bump into his knee so slept kind of still.  And slept on my right side when I usually sleep more on my left side.  Now my entire left side is sore and achy.   I'm hoping it loosens up once I do my yoga/tai chi when I get to the classroom.

Short day today, just two classes so we're done at 12:30.  Then we're coming right home to relax (and finish any school that wasn't done this week).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We’re getting another atmospheric river next week.  The weather forecast said we could get “menacing floods”. Menacing floods?? Who describes a flood as “menacing”?

Don't take unnecessary journeys!  Don't swim in the sea!  

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We have the atmospheric river aka Pineapple Express already. It is coming down in sheets. And thundering. Floods are predicted here too but I live in top of a hill. 

Don't take unnecessary journeys!  Don't swim in the sea!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good morning!

Go Junie, Go!  

I am avoiding my to-do list because the first thing on it is going over ds15's paper on Huckleberry Finn.  I started last night but gave up pretty quickly when I was overwhelmed with mismatched tenses and I couldn't find a solid thesis statement.

The Two Youngest are grossing each other out by squishing Zombie Skittles and smelling them.  

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!

I slept horribly last night. Bad dreams. Train whistle woke me up. I thought the cats were in the house and kept waking up, but they were ‘t Because they were all outside this morning begging to be let in. The wind machines went on. Bleh!!

I got baking to do today, since tomorrow we are having Christmas with DH’s family. I have an appointment in the Big-City-to-the-South, so I will go to Target after and finish up Christmas shopping. And all the sudden DS tells us he has a soccer game tonight. 😩😩😩 I had planned on staying home, getting cozy and watching “A Christmas Story”.

• Sad 1

Hi, Skippy!

Elephant ninjas, please report to Newcastle for duty.

There is a fun thing every Friday afternoon. It's far enough away that it requires the entire afternoon. We have gotten there exactly once this semester. DS has not yet done drum practice, we need to hit the library, and I have to put something together and mail it. *sigh* We are once again not going to get to the fun thing.

• Sad 3

Nothing could get me anywhere near the mall until after Christmas.  Not that I've been to the mall much this entire year.  I actually don't think I've been any farther into the mall than Cheesecake Factory, except maybe to pop into the store dd works at.  

We ordered 99% of the gifts from Amazon or Target online.  They are all at the science center waiting to be wrapped.  I'll probably head over and do it tomorrow and/or Sunday.

• Like 1

An amazing friend took all my children for the day so I could finish up Christmas errands.   I didn't even attempt the cheap grocery store, though.... I got stuck for ten minutes in the line to get INTO the parking lot, and decided it would be more fun to sip coffee while buying socks at Target.    

Can you Amazon Prime a butterball turkey?   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lots of little ducklings said:

An amazing friend took all my children for the day so I could finish up Christmas errands.   I didn't even attempt the cheap grocery store, though.... I got stuck for ten minutes in the line to get INTO the parking lot, and decided it would be more fun to sip coffee while buying socks at Target.    

Can you Amazon Prime a butterball turkey?   

Not butterball, but very tempting....

https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Turkey-8-10lb-Antibiotics-Ever/dp/B07JHWZ5VR/ref=sxin_0_wf_dsk_ap_sisa?almBrandId=VUZHIFdob2xlIEZvb2Rz&fpw=alm&keywords=turkey&pd_rd_i=B07JHWZ5VR&pd_rd_r=68378cec-8809-4445-a4e8-cc9d06d8a0b4&pd_rd_w=qY2O3&pd_rd_wg=5HP0l&pf_rd_p=2f65987a-1940-496a-ae04-809c5b17f03f&pf_rd_r=ET3CGCDJ2EBAV1J4YTAD&qid=1576881286

A little googling leads me to think the pain from sleeping weird last night might be sciatica.  Sharp pain in butt and shooting down leg on one side.   Also makes me wonder if when I thought I pulled the muscle in my butt a few weeks ago, it was also a milder bout of sciatica.  Good thing is it seems like there are some stretches that will help and I know how NOT to sleep.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, myblessings4 said:

Regarding your first quote of me, just working and getting ready for Christmas!

How about you?

Regarding this quote, I have heard of it, but have never looked into it.  When is the conference?

It's in April. I'm getting a very conservative and white vibe from the website. But that hasn't stopped me before (our state conference is the same).

7 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Nothing could get me anywhere near the mall until after Christmas.  Not that I've been to the mall much this entire year.  I actually don't think I've been any farther into the mall than Cheesecake Factory, except maybe to pop into the store dd works at.  

We ordered 99% of the gifts from Amazon or Target online.  They are all at the science center waiting to be wrapped.  I'll probably head over and do it tomorrow and/or Sunday.

I think the only place we go in the mall is Dairy Queen, maybe 2-3 times a year. Every once in awhile, Boba. For shopping? Heck nah.

Most of the gifts have come in from Amazon. I have  a few more coming in tomorrow , and one on Sunday. My middle sister started a fitness clothing line, and I bought a pair of leggings for myself and Dancer. I don't think they'll be here until after Christmas though. Gymnast asked for several books, including a couple on anxiety...she's a weird child.

• Like 3

Happy Saturday Before Christmas! 

Dh is on a super early trip to the super crazy cheap grocery store. ( I'm hoping they have fresh turkeys left.)  The girls made a coffee cake to freeze for Christmas breakfast, and are flipping pancakes for today.  I'm supposed to be stealth-wrapping  but so far I'm just lazily having my coffee and egg.  I also need to make meatballs when dh gets back.  And the auto-glass guy is showing up to replace my windshield this afternoon (I keep forgetting that).

• Like 3

Good morning!

What's the basement prognosis, Jean?

Happy Christmas Preparation Weekend!

The good news is that I am feeling much better.  Seemed to turn the corner last night.  Ds24 woke us in the middle of the night saying he woke up feeling numb all over.  His temperature was 95.1, but he took a warm shower and it went up to 98.1.  We are letting him sleep a bit before taking him to the doctor.  Some decisions have to be made depending on the van diagnosis - going to NY or not, fixing the van or not (depending on how expensive the repair is) and/or what we would do for a replacement vehicle (8 or 12-passenger).

I need to put away laundry, pack, take ds24 to doctor, wrap presents, pack, help dd13 finish making gift, pack, clean house, get ready for guests to come over, have Advent, pack.  But first,

COFFEE!!

• Like 2

Good Morning.   I slept okay last night.  Not awful, not great, just okay.   Trying to get comfortable was rough.   Today I'm looking up stretching exercises to help sciatica, hoping it doesn't really last the WEEKS that is considered normal, and figuring out the rest of my day.  

Laundry, dishes, need to head over to the science center at some point to at least feed some animals.  There's nothing else I HAVE to do there.  I have at least a few more days to wrap gifts.   I may stick with paperwork today.  Get a start on sorting receipts for taxes, planning school, etc.  The recommended seating position (forward on chair, feet on floor) is a decent one for paperwork but not so great if I just want to read or watch tv.  

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

Today is Christmas  with DH’s family!! It kind of snuck up on me, but the Carmel sticky buns are in the oven and the brunch casserole will go in when the rolls come out. The only bad thing is my in-law’s present has ‘t Arrived from Shutterfly!!😡😡😡

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Saturday!!!!

Today is Christmas  with DH’s family!! It kind of snuck up on me, but the Carmel sticky buns are in the oven and the brunch casserole will go in when the rolls come out. The only bad thing is my in-law’s present has ‘t Arrived from Shutterfly!!😡😡😡

I ordered the kids Christmas gifts on the 10th and they haven't shipped yet.

• Sad 4

Good morning!

Kids are at tumbling.

We're going to meet up with some of dh's family this afternoon, watch a musical "Savior of the World" production, enjoy Christmas lights, and hopefully make it to Trader Joe's cause there isn't one near us.

I need to figure out how to do Christmas Eve at our house with 18 people, our living space is a bit small for hosting. Wasn't planning to host anyone but dh's sister asked if their family could come up and I'm actually really happy to have them, just have to get myself into gear to do what needs doing.

Like all the cleaning.

We did finally get the tree decorated yesterday.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

No new water in the basement. The flexible hose we snaked from the sump pump in the back to the street gutter is helping the sump pump to keep up with the water that is still coming from the sky 

I am officially in a flare but will continue to work in the Schoolroom of Doom salvaging what I can and getting rid of the rest. The other areas affected (laundry room and the cat’s bathroom were easy cleanups. 

I found out last night that our homeowners insurance covers everything except for flooding. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Hope you can find some relief for your sciatica, Toto!  

So The Christmas Trip is back on.  There was a blown fuse to the starter motor which the guy replaced and then drove the van around for 45 minutes trying to make the fuse blow again, which he couldn't.  So it might have been a fluke or it might be something wrong with something that causes fuses to blow.  They said "Merry Christmas" and didn't charge us for the repair and the mechanic gave us spare fuses and showed dh how to replace it if it happens again. :wub:

Back to wrapping presents.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Hope you can find some relief for your sciatica, Toto!  

So The Christmas Trip is back on.  There was a blown fuse to the starter motor which the guy replaced and then drove the van around for 45 minutes trying to make the fuse blow again, which he couldn't.  So it might have been a fluke or it might be something wrong with something that causes fuses to blow.  They said "Merry Christmas" and didn't charge us for the repair and the mechanic gave us spare fuses and showed dh how to replace it if it happens again. :wub:

Back to wrapping presents.

So that was a Christmas miracle because of the kindness of the mechanics but also the opposite of a Christmas miracle because you still have to go on the trip?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So that was a Christmas miracle because of the kindness of the mechanics but also the opposite of a Christmas miracle because you still have to go on the trip?

Yep.

11 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

My thoughts as well. 😢

Can you imagine having 7 entirely free days at your disposal because you thought you'd be out of town?  And you already had all the holiday and general groceries on hand?  Holy Svengo Batman!  Oh well.  I AM very grateful that the engine wasn't blown or anything serious like that.

• Like 7

Wrapped all the kids gifts (that have arrived already), turtle didn't want to eat or come where I could get him out to eat.  I have to run to Target Monday morning to exchange something for dh because they sent the wrong size.

So, evidently what helps MY sciatica the most is not sitting down.  Ever.   Standing helps a lot but whenever I sit, it hurts a ton when I first get up again.  

• Sad 5

• Seven batches of meatballs in the freezer, and one batch bubbling in the sauce for tonight.  ✔️
  • Two coffee cakes made and frozen ✔️
  • the fridge cleaned out and stuffed with everything dh brought home (including the right turkey!) ✔️
  • and a relatively organized list of to-do's for the next several days has been made. Hopefully I won't lose it like last year's, and can refer to it next year. ✔️
  • Plus I collected all my holiday recipes into one binder so I'm not drowning in cookbooks (virtual and otherwise) for the next week. ✔️
  •  And I cleared off my very cluttered virtual desktop. ✔️
  •  And then I coffeed while learning all about applying wallpaper with liquid starch so it's removable.  (I have no intention of wallpapering anything. But there are Pinterest worthy prints out there, and this is why nothing is wrapped for Christmas yet.)✔️
  • Also, the new windshield is in.  Auto Glass Guy had to make two trips because the wrong one had been packed on his truck, but he was pretty chill about it.   I'm glad I was slow about sticking on my new 2020 beach pass sticker. The 2019 is in a glass morgue somewhere now, and I have a fresh canvas.  Laziness pays off yet again. ✔️
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5