Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

EdPo: This might be one for the sea so let me know if I need to go swim.

Quiet Boy has done the first chapter of BJU Pre-Alg. He has faithfully watched every video and done every assignment well. BUT he has had to retake the quizzes and now the test 3 times to pass them. He says he undertsands just fine when the guy explains it and when he is doing the lesson, but he can't remember how to do it on the quizzes and tests sometimes even with looking at book. He says he can't recognize what he is looking at. I told him he needs to do more practice on each lesson. Do I have him go back through the chapter and do all the problems which were not assigned the first time or just move forward? I can't afford more books at this point, but I really need him to be/feel successful moving forward.

And it is SO obvious he has zero conceptual understanding and that BJU provides zero conceptual understanding/connections. I feel like a failure in that one. Too late now for the older kids. 

I don't know.  That's really tough.  Would having you "at elbow" more to narrate through what he's doing or what he's thinking help?  (I know your time is at a premium, I just don't know what else to suggest!)

• Like 1

Good morning!

Itchy ears!!  O the agony!  I would definitely be insane by now.

Gymnast! :wub:

I have no experience with tablets.  I have an iPad from 2012.  It is stil working pretty much though I can't update the iOS or whatever that is any more.

As much work as I have to get done this week, I am dreading next week's "week off".  I am going to pretend that going to the post office and grocery stores today are a nice, relaxing vacation.  I need to leave in 2 minutes but am still in my bathrobe.  Prolly should Pantz. 

Coffee!

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

This morning we’re going to my Aunt’s house for Coffee Break. DD has a dentist appointment. Maybe I’m over reacting, but she’s got a tooth that just started coming in really high up on her gum. The baby tooth it’s supposed to replace isn’t even loose. It just looks really wrong to me, so I made an appointment.

Our bell choir is playing at the local Retirement Home and then I have to run to church for the last Awana. I’m tired just thinking about it, and I am in the midst of cleaning up a mess for one of my high school students. It’s too hard to explain and even if I could, it’s really not worth it. Suffice it to say, I was very naive in dealing with the situation (yes, I learned my lesson) and now I’m trying to salvage it and putting waaay to much work into it. And I don’t even know if I’m doing it right.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

EdPo: This might be one for the sea so let me know if I need to go swim.

Quiet Boy has done the first chapter of BJU Pre-Alg. He has faithfully watched every video and done every assignment well. BUT he has had to retake the quizzes and now the test 3 times to pass them. He says he undertsands just fine when the guy explains it and when he is doing the lesson, but he can't remember how to do it on the quizzes and tests sometimes even with looking at book. He says he can't recognize what he is looking at. I told him he needs to do more practice on each lesson. Do I have him go back through the chapter and do all the problems which were not assigned the first time or just move forward? I can't afford more books at this point, but I really need him to be/feel successful moving forward.

And it is SO obvious he has zero conceptual understanding and that BJU provides zero conceptual understanding/connections. I feel like a failure in that one. Too late now for the older kids. 

What does this chapter cover?

Do you understand it conceptually yourself? If so, can you sit with him and do the conceptual teaching? Whether he has been taught conceptually before is less important than what kind of teaching he is getting now--adolescence is a great time for new insights and new connections.

If you struggle with conceptual understanding yourself (because many of us were never taught that way) can you search for YouTube videos on the topic and find some with conceptual explanations?

I would not move forward if he is floundering in understanding in the first chapter, I would find it where the floundering is happening and dig down as deeply as needed to address it.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

And I think eating dairy is making my ears itch inside. I ate pizza the other night and was up all night with super itchy ears. They are better but still itchy. Is that a real thing or just a coincidence?

I get itchy ears when I get dehydrated, so I don't think it's coincidence. Itchy ears are thing. Listen to the ears. (no pun intended...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morning. MRI results didn't show anything in my shoulder, but which I take it that the structures found there were pretty much normal. So after a billion tests, no one knows why I have a lump of something in my shoulder that causes that side of my neck to swell up. But it's not cancer.

I'm going to call it George and say it's my internal editor.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I have a breast infection. I'm laid out on the couch with my baby, miserable and whimpering. And our heat went out. Fortunately, the landlord is pretty fast to respond to heating or water emergencies, so that part's fixed now, but I have a bone deep chill that even many blankets can't fix.

I'm all done with this week.

Ouch! I chewed holes in so many washcloths whilst nursing through double mastitis. Unpleasant!

• Sad 2

If that's just the first chapter, I'd just have him repeat the chapter and use the unassigned problems for the lesson work. I'd also reassure him that "failed quizzes" are not a sign of failure. They are simply saying that he's got things to learn, and that's fine. Don't panic. It's okay. 

It's also not unusual to struggle more at the outset of something new, and it's not abnormal to "not get it" when the concepts are fairly new, and/or involve things that weren't previously mastered. It's also (sadly) not uncommon for a young man at a certain age to struggle with recall of things that they absolutely "knew" the day before. I spent a lot of time reassuring my guys that their brains weren't broken, simply short-circuiting at times, and that they would get through that if they could be patient and "relearn" things when they needed to. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I bought Christmas stamps at the post office despite not having Christmas cards or letter in my possession.  Hope springs eternal!  :laugh:

I was putting groceries on the checkout thing at Aldi and dropped the container of Greek yogurt on the floor, breaking the lid and squirting yogurt all over.  Sigh.  The Aldi guy didn't even miss a beat - he opened the next register, called another employee, and had the yogurt cleaned up in about 30 seconds.  Meanwhile, a customer behind me sent her daughter back to get me a new yogurt. :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It has to be something that dh would even like. No reading involved. Previous games have been Uno, Blokus, Mancala (he didn't get into that one so much, though), Battleship, Creationary when Elizabeth was really young.

Edited by Renai

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

Ok, what about Risk, Monopoly, Life, Timeline or Exploding Kittens? If you get Guess Who you can switch the pictures out for school. Historical figures, elements, geographical locations.

I'll need to look these up. Nothing too heady. It really doesn't have to be educational.

Edited by Renai

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

We got risk and Candyland due to multiple levels. I think I want exploding kittens. I don't know though.

I bought Exploding Kittens for dd17 a while back.  I've never played it myself.

15 minutes ago, Renai said:

This is a cry for help, btw.

I don't like board games much, but I like Sorry.  Other games I like are Dutch Blitz, Farkle, and SkipBo.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

I like educational because more brain = more entertaining.

Battleship, Sorry. Suspend is our family's favorite. Uno is second favorite FWIW.

Brainy isn't more entertaining for dh, and we want him included. He has a short attention span, lol!

I'm looking at Skipbo now, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I bought Exploding Kittens for dd17 a while back.  I've never played it myself.

I don't like board games much, but I like Sorry.  Other games I like are Dutch Blitz, Farkle, and SkipBo.  

Oh, it doesn't have to be a board game. Dh really likes card games, so I try to have at least one of those. They play well in the car when I'm driving, too. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This is what we have been doing on the 3rd go rounds. He does better because he has then seen the problems 3 times.

The chapter covers Integers: opposites and absolute value, 4 processes with integers (both positive and negative plus mixed), exponents, order of operations, and scientific notation. He had never seen any of it before. I cannot explain it conceptually. I can't even do it reading the book! YouTube is a great idea. (Confession: digging around on you tube kinda scares me that I'm going to hit something I don't want to see.) He says he understands it but when doing it if the problems look different than an example than he says it is more difficult.

The Wisdom Of Critterfixer! Thank you. Even having been through this stage before, it looks different with each kid. Quiet Boy says thank you for your words of encouragement. And he is going to do the chapter over again.

My concern is the book is too hard for him. He did struggle mightly through most of the BJU 7 book. IDK, maybe we need to go back to Saxon if the next couple chapters are the same struggle. We really have not done well completeing math books over the years. Oh the shame!

I know you might not be looking for another book, right now, but that first book of the Key To Algebra series is amazing for explaining those integer processes. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

No. It doesn't get cold enough there to kill off the pests and then they grow in size and number.

Since I moved to Texas I have only been bit by bugs once, our trip to Ohio. I really don't mind the bugs! Not getting bit totally outweighs cockroaches that can carry your dog away.

7 minutes ago, Renai said:

I have Sequence, Guess Who, Skipbo, and Suspend. I may have to wait on one of these...

I don't remember sequence! If you have to give one up and sequence isn't screaming your name give that one up. I know I really liked it, I just don't remember anything about it.

3 minutes ago, Slache said:

Since I moved to Texas I have only been bit by bugs once, our trip to Ohio. I really don't mind the bugs! Not getting bit totally outweighs cockroaches that can carry your dog away.

I don't remember sequence! If you have to give one up and sequence isn't screaming your name give that one up. I know I really liked it, I just don't remember anything about it.

I almost gave that one up, but then the price dropped while it was in the cart so I got all four games. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

The chapter covers Integers: opposites and absolute value, 4 processes with integers (both positive and negative plus mixed), exponents, order of operations, and scientific notation. He had never seen any of it before. I cannot explain it conceptually. I can't even do it reading the book! YouTube is a great idea. (Confession: digging around on you tube kinda scares me that I'm going to hit something I don't want to see.) He says he understands it but when doing it if the problems look different than an example than he says it is more difficult.

That seems like a lot for one chapter.  How long is each chapter expected to take?    I teach an Algebra class and we did multiplying/dividing integers as one lesson, adding/subtracting/opposites as a different lesson, exponents and scientific notation as a lesson, order of operations as a separate lesson after exponents.  We still haven't covered absolute value.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I will check that out. Thank you. 

Honey, that’s what BioTech pest control is for and liquid Terro.

Re math. Was the first chapter supposed to be review?  If so, but it was all new to him, then extra passes through sounds reasonable. Perhaps he’s not well placed?  Or maybe he just needs to go slower with extra reps for awhile. 

This would be the second time in a month that Walmart has both exchanged an item and issued a refund for it. The last time I contacted them to tell them they had done both they issued the refund again. So they exchanged the item and then paid us for it twice. What am I supposed to do? Contact them again? Sneak the item into the store and leave it somewhere?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Slache said:

This would be the second time in a month that Walmart has both exchanged an item and issued a refund for it. The last time I contacted them to tell them they had done both they issued the refund again. So they exchanged the item and then paid us for it twice. What am I supposed to do? Contact them again? Sneak the item into the store and leave it somewhere?

I'd say leave it.  You called, they responded.  I don't know that it's worth hounding them over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Is there a way to actually play dominoes? I only remember trying to stand them upright and in interesting and loooong configurations to see if they would all fall in sequence when you knocked the first one down.

Lol! Yes. You match them and you get points by adding the ends if they are divisible by 5. So if you have a 5/2 and match a 2/10 you get 15 points because 5+10=15 but if you have a 5/2 and match a 2/3 you get nothing because 5+3=8 which is not divisible by 5. If you don't have anything to play then you have to draw, but you don't want to draw because every bone you have in the end counts against you. So if you ended with 142 points but had 37 in bones in your hand you would only have 105 points.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I'd say leave it.  You called, they responded.  I don't know that it's worth hounding them over it.

But now they've done it to a second item!

28 minutes ago, Slache said:

Lol! Yes. You match them and you get points by adding the ends if they are divisible by 5. So if you have a 5/2 and match a 2/10 you get 15 points because 5+10=15 but if you have a 5/2 and match a 2/3 you get nothing because 5+3=8 which is not divisible by 5. If you don't have anything to play then you have to draw, but you don't want to draw because every bone you have in the end counts against you. So if you ended with 142 points but had 37 in bones in your hand you would only have 105 points.

But now they've done it to a second item!

Maybe it's a policy like Aldi has - if you don't like an item, you can exchange it AND they'll refund your money for the original item.

• Thanks 1