Menu

Ignore this thread!

Morning.  No school closing today.   Every place just has delayed openings so my classes go on as scheduled.   dh is heading into work now and will let me know how the roads are so I can decide if I go in early like usual or wait until they clear the roads better because it's almost time for school.  

Nice holiday party last night.  Not too many people there but the kids had fun.  One of their friends has joined our club so that was nice.  Her and ds played Switch for a while.  Bad part was one of their other friends was evidently feeling left out.   Shouldn't be a problem in general since our meetings our usual more structured.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Haven't you seen How To Train Your Dragon? The trolls steal your socks.

Happy birthday Slache! Your tree is lovely.

I want to eat All.The.Things.

EAT ALL THE THINGS!!!  You have reason to, so do it for the rest of us and we will live vicariously through you!

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

I HAVE to get things done today. Not much got done yesterday! The little girls have their last piano lesson before vacation. DS has a soccer game, too.

Happy Nirthday, Slashie!!🎉🎉🎉🎉🎂🎂🎂🎈🎈🎈❤️❤️

DH tells me to buy everyone the same type of socks. That’s what he has. Black socks for work and athletic socks for other stuff. No real need for matching. But while that make work for him, it doesn’t work for the rest of us. I may have to ask him to take the dryer apart.

• Like 3

I barely got anything done yesterday. In fact, nothing except dinner. We were moving so slowly, and had a gingerbread house decorating party with good friends. It started at 10:30 and we got there at 11:30. There were SO. MANY. PEOPLE. And I was sooo tired. I was antisocial until it was just a couple that came over to where I was helping Gymnast and I asked a few questions about a Lego robotics club. Most people know me since I moderate different homeschool groups and disseminate a lot of information. 

I was able to print out the Christmas study I purchased on TPT, though. I'm such a visual person, I just went ahead and printed out the 150 pages or so, and I'll pick what I want to do from there. I just can't read so much on screen anymore.

So, today, I buy a ham that's on sale at Smith's, and then I'll go look and see if there inversion tables on sale locally. If not, I'll have to go through Amazon. Dh could use one for his back.

YA'LL! Yesterday, I was telling Slash about a watch that I had bought for Gymnast a couple of months ago, and when I went to get it for a pic I found MONEY! I had lost it over a month ago, and was racking my brain trying to figure out if I had spent it or how. Nope, it just fell in the envelope I had the watch hiding in. It's little mini cabinet on my dresser that I use to stash things because no one thinks to look in there since they think I have jewelry in it. So, half the money goes to savings and the other I'm looking for a cheap inversion table that is sturdy enough that it won't fall apart when dh is upside down.

I'm also looking at getting him an electric lunchbox that can be hooked up in his truck. With the Amazon gift card that I'm getting on Wednesday through VIPKid, it'll be almost free.

Oh, the rest of the Christmas shopping is done. We only buy for immediate family. For Dancer, she's getting what I'm getting: some fitness leggings my youngest sister has designed. She's a dance fitness instructor, and is starting her own clothing line. I shop for both Gymnast's Christmas and birthday, so I'm sure the things I want are in stock. I'll decide when the stuff gets here what will be for which occasion. Most of it will be here Friday.

Dh keeps asking why there is nothing under the tree. I told him it's because there is nothing to put under the tree. Now I see why the kids I have three weeks off of school. This week has gone by so fast, it would have been nuts dealing with school stuff, then the kids getting out Friday, having just the weekend to pull everything else together and then Christmas BAM!

• Like 6

In one of my younger classes today (kids 7 to 10'ish), one of the kids announced Santa isn't real.  I know there are different opinions about "doing Santa" but it appeared the majority of the other kids did believe (one I'm not sure of).  I wasn't sure how to handle it.   I did mention it to one of the moms just so she knew she might get some questions and where they came from, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions if it comes up again.  They didn't ask me directly if he was real or not, and I wasn't even sure how to tell the kid that he shouldn't be announcing things like that in class without giving the game away.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

In one of my younger classes today (kids 7 to 10'ish), one of the kids announced Santa isn't real.  I know there are different opinions about "doing Santa" but it appeared the majority of the other kids did believe (one I'm not sure of).  I wasn't sure how to handle it.   I did mention it to one of the moms just so she knew she might get some questions and where they came from, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions if it comes up again.  They didn't ask me directly if he was real or not, and I wasn't even sure how to tell the kid that he shouldn't be announcing things like that in class without giving the game away.

"It's up to the parents to decide when to tell this to their children. This is not your place." But maybe worded better.

We do not santa but my kids know not to say anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

That's a tough one!!

• Like 1

I am back from Target.  I hate shopping.  It wasn't crowded, the lines weren't long, and they had most of what I needed.  But I still prefer to shop from bed.  The only girl's heavy coat they had in dd10's size was $60.  Uff da.  My favorite thrift store didn't have anything - I'll have to check Goodwill.

It is hard to get warm today.  35 degrees and 85% humidity.  I'm having a giant waffle with berries and coffee for my late lunch.  That's helping a bit!

So we had to replace all the tires on the van last week and on Saturday morning we noticed that a hubcap was missing.  We are thinking it must have fallen off at some point without our noticing.  Today another one is missing.  Either someone is stealing our hub caps one at a time, or they are falling off.  :dry:  

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

"It's up to the parents to decide when to tell this to their children. This is not your place." But maybe worded better.

We do not santa but my kids know not to say anything.

But if I say that in front of the other kids, it pretty much gives the game away for all of them.  I basically said nothing so neither confirmed nor denied.  

ETA:  Ugh, a Santa Clause isn't real booya? Really?

I am 1000% done with today.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

But if I say that in front of the other kids, it pretty much gives the game away for all of them.  I basically said nothing so neither confirmed nor denied.  

ETA:  Ugh, a Santa Clause isn't real booya? Really?

I am 1000% done with today.

That's good, but I would have done it in private. I remember adults claiming to believe in Santa when it was called into question.

• Like 1

I had the Santa issue when I taught a mixed-grade (4th-6th) elementary class.  One of the 4th graders still believed in Santa.  He was near tears when one of the kids said that Santa didn't exist.  IIRC, it wasn't Christmastime, but there was something in a textbook that brought up the discussion.  I *think* that I said something like, "We're not going to talk about that right now," and then moved ahead with the lesson.  Later, I took the child out in the hallway privately and told him that some people believe in Santa and some don't and that he should talk to his mom about it.  I sent a note home to his mom to describe what happened in class and let it up to her whether she would have him keep believing or not.

One thing that complicated the issue was that this child's parents had told him that Santa Clause was God's helper.  I was not about to step into that discussion.

• Like 3

Apparently Dh had two five year-olds go at it over Santa during Children's Church last Sunday.   One could not get over the "lie!" being told during church, and the other was about to slug him in defense of Mr. Claus.   Dh couldn't stop laughing about it as he told me the story.  We'd share it with the moms, but Slugger's mom probably wouldn't appreciate the humor in it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Apparently Dh had two five year-olds go at it over Santa during Children's Church last Sunday.   One could not get over the "lie!" being told during church, and the other was about to slug him in defense of Mr. Claus.   Dh couldn't stop laughing about it as he told me the story.  We'd share it with the moms, but Slugger's mom probably wouldn't appreciate the humor in it. 

So they were essentially imitating St. Nicholas at the Council of Nicaea.  Well done, boys!  :laugh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My FIL has come to see the new baby, and he's offering to buy the kids Christmas presents while he's here. Dave and I decided to ask for 2 tablets with sturdy cases for the kids to share. We want to use them for educational apps, ebooks, maybe music or audiobooks. I'm not up on tablets, but I'm hoping we can get ones that will also allow the kids to play Prodigy Math Game, too, so it would have to be able to have parental locks or something put on the internet. We don't do Mac products (long story). What kind of tablets do we want? What kind of cases so the tablets last?

Go!

We have Kindle Fires and Gymnast was able to play Prodigy on it (there is a browser). But, I don't think the browser is on the kids' side, but the parent's. Audiobooks and apps and such can be added to the child's side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My FIL has come to see the new baby, and he's offering to buy the kids Christmas presents while he's here. Dave and I decided to ask for 2 tablets with sturdy cases for the kids to share. We want to use them for educational apps, ebooks, maybe music or audiobooks. I'm not up on tablets, but I'm hoping we can get ones that will also allow the kids to play Prodigy Math Game, too, so it would have to be able to have parental locks or something put on the internet. We don't do Mac products (long story). What kind of tablets do we want? What kind of cases so the tablets last?

Go!

We have a Samsung that's lasted for years and does all the things. I would have rather had an iPad. What about one tablet tablet and one kindle paperwhite?

Aaaaaannnnnnnd . . . . . . . . We're done!  Last rehearsal/performance of the year.  Kids played well (youth orchestra). Treats were enjoyed by all.  (Well, we do have to sing and play at FIL's church on Christmas Eve, but I'm pretending that the service will be snowed out.)

Tomorrow must be spent buying groceries for the next 2 weeks, starting on MIL's slippers (dd13's project, really), finding dd10 a coat, and mailing gifts to family members.

Sweet dreams, everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Go!

Our kids have the kids package Amazon Fire tablets.  They come with super sturdy cases AND 2 years of guaranteed returns for any reason.  Both kids have had theirs replaced at least once for no cost at all (dd's has been replaced twice).   They can be set up to get Google Play store apps so there's a larger variety of things to select from.   I believe there are more parental controls that are easier to set up on the kids versions as well.

• Like 1

Happy Humph Day!  I cannot wait for this week to be over.   I"m really looking forward to some time off.  I know I was just off for Thanksgiving, but that didn't feel like a break.  Partially because of everything that needed to be done, partially because MIL was here all week.   This upcoming break we will be seeing family of course, but I'll also have time to just relax and have some quiet time.  I do have work to do, but not that much.  Okay, I have a TON of work to do, but I'll be able to do it in peace and quiet.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Slache said:

We have a Samsung that's lasted for years and does all the things. I would have rather had an iPad. What about one tablet tablet and one kindle paperwhite?

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Slache, Now how did you know I was kettchuping? Are you spying on me?

Bookie, I am sorry about your mom. I am praying for you and your family. 

Tablets: don't shoot me/be shocked. All 3 of our older/middle kids have Samsung tablets. I will try to link to the cases we have. And it has the name of tablets we bought. Scotsman added sd cards for more storage. He has a parental controls app on his phone. He is asleep but I will ask him what it is tomorrow for you. We have been very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VJBGDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hmmm, do I need to start looking at Samsung tablets?...

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I was able to change the date of a payment so we can have Christmas presents now. The kids did all their shopping/wrapping today. Amazon order with gifts from Uni Boy has been placed. Everything is arriving Thursday. This is looking better than I thought it was going to be.

The Girl: Why aren't we putting the gifts under the tree?

Me: Captain.

The Girl: Right. I forgot.

This reminds of the year I had a tree and put the kiddie bench in front of it so Gymnast and the other daycare kids would leave it alone.

This is what I got: 

IMG009.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3