Menu

Ignore this thread!

So you remember how I was wanting to avoid a turkey Christmas dinner?  Well it turns out that MIL got a turkey and insists on having it on Christmas Day.  And now she is also expecting a Ham Dinner and Lasagna Dinner.  Svengo.  We are going to have to rent a U-Haul just to get all this food to their house.  (Pretend you are going to a cabin for a week and must bring along food for 10 teens & adults and a 10yo, including 3 large holiday meals.  Also, you can't get a clear answer as to whether or not the oven is working.)

So what would you plan to serve for the Christmas Turkey Dinner?  Keep in mind that the food will be on the road for 2 days with 8 people, their luggage, sleeping bags/bedding, and a few small gifts.  There will be a cooler to hold refrigerated and frozen things.  Fresh food will probably get squished, but I do think it'll be worthwhile to bring along some lettuces.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

So you remember how I was wanting to avoid a turkey Christmas dinner?  Well it turns out that MIL got a turkey and insists on having it on Christmas Day.  And now she is also expecting a Ham Dinner and Lasagna Dinner.  Svengo.  We are going to have to rent a U-Haul just to get all this food to their house.  (Pretend you are going to a cabin for a week and must bring along food for 10 teens & adults and a 10yo, including 3 large holiday meals.  Also, you can't get a clear answer as to whether or not the oven is working.)

So what would you plan to serve for the Christmas Turkey Dinner?  Keep in mind that the food will be on the road for 2 days with 8 people, their luggage, sleeping bags/bedding, and a few small gifts.  There will be a cooler to hold refrigerated and frozen things.  Fresh food will probably get squished, but I do think it'll be worthwhile to bring along some lettuces.

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

And desserts!?!? MIL does not tolerate pre-made/store bought desserts. 

Nope.  That's the answer.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

turkey dinner -- turkey, canned cranberry sauce, several boxes of stove top, potatoes, steam-fresh veggies, brown and serve rolls.

ham dinner -- ham slices (they wouldn't take up as much room?), mac and cheese, more veggies, more cranberry sauce, more rolls

lasagna dinner -- lasagna, simple salad, garlic bread

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

And desserts!?!? MIL does not tolerate pre-made/store bought desserts. 

I would take store-bought pies and she could choose to eat them or not. (Hiding.)

• Like 2

My instinct would be to get in touch with the closest grocery store, restaurant, or such, and see if you can't order a dinner there for pick-up. I don't see how on earth it's possible to transport food for all those meals, homemade, and that be a workable solution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Except for the several years in between...

But we're still twinsies!!!

Aren't we both turning 29?

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

1. Slache-Debone the turkey so it's ugly.

2. Matt-Forget it at home.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

How is she expecting these things if it's possible that the oven doesn't work? I am confused. 

They don't use the oven, so at this point we are assuming the oven works when they say they think it probably does.  Otherwise we will have boiled turkey.  Or we can build a bonfire and roast it over a fire?

They live on a mountain and to order a dinner for pick-up at this point would cost $400.  I am hoping to keep it down to that for the whole visit - breakfasts, lunches (hopefully some leftovers), and dinners.  Dh just called and said we still have a rear carrier that we can attach to the back of the van to help with space, so that should help.  (It's a 12-passenger van - we'd never make it in a mini van!)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

She already has the turkey in her freezer.  She is supposed to put it in the fridge on Sunday to defrost.  I am not sure how they will manage that with her torn shoulder ligament, fil's broken shoulder, and nephew's cut hand - maybe the three of them can work together.  😄

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, you're braver than me, Susan. That sounds daunting to say the least. But maybe you can convince her to leave the turkey where it is, and get a smoked one before you leave? Ham would be a good thing to transport as those are already pre-cooked. I agree with Junie on all the veggies in steam packets or canned, maybe frozen fries instead of trying to mash potatoes,, canned cranberry sauce, and perhaps a huge apple pie baked in a big pan that fits the top of the cooler pretty well. Could also bring a frozen lasagna and frozen garlic bread.

Pack bread, chips, cold cuts, and associated toppings for eating turkey and ham sandwiches if all else fails.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Well, you're braver than me, Susan. That sounds daunting to say the least. But maybe you can convince her to leave the turkey where it is, and get a smoked one before you leave? Ham would be a good thing to transport as those are already pre-cooked. I agree with Junie on all the veggies in steam packets or canned, maybe frozen fries instead of trying to mash potatoes,, canned cranberry sauce, and perhaps a huge apple pie baked in a big pan that fits the top of the cooler pretty well. Could also bring a frozen lasagna and frozen garlic bread.

Pack bread, chips, cold cuts, and associated toppings for eating turkey and ham sandwiches if all else fails.

Steam veggies are the best!  Dh prefers canned veggies & cranberries, and those are pretty indestructable.  Frozen potatoes is a great idea, too.  I'm going to take y'alls advice and not be worried about pre-made dessert.  And if we can manage some bananas we can include stuff to make banana pudding too - the kids love to make it and a big pan goes a long way.

• Like 1

It is dh's birthday.

Unfortunately he has been in a depression slump since yesterday.

I told the kids if he is in a bad mood when he gets home we will celebrate a different day because trying to celebrate when his mood is down never goes anywhere good.

This three way marriage between me, my spouse, and mental illness is not fun.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Our ice storm is holding off until the middle of the night so we're going to have our 4-H party tonight.  Other than ordering pizza and cleaning up, I should have nothing to do.  

So it turns out one of my students at the science center is related to my oldest daughter.  His dad's mom (so kid's grandma) is my daughter's father's cousin (ex-h's cousin).  Weird.  I thought I recognized the dad weeks ago but finally decided to just ask.  Dad is around 7'2" tall so stands out a bit.

• Like 5

Well, I had a different sort of morning. I wanted to get a lot of work done. Instead I had an hour long phone conversation with a dear old (from high school) friend I hadn’t talked to in several years. She has gone through a lot in the past several years, a lot of hard, horrible stuff, but her faith in God’s provision is amazing and she was such an encouragement to me. It was a great conversation!!

Now, lunch is over (yummy leftover minestrone soup from last night), I need to pick up DD1 from school in 20 minutes, but hopefully I can at least organize myself to be productive the rest of the afternoon.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Slache said:

Aren't we both turning 29?

1. Slache-Debone the turkey so it's ugly.

I like my age.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Become a stay-at-home mom they said. You'll get to sit around all day eating bon-bons and gossiping about Joan they said.

Who's Joan?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Junie said:

I actually don't want to be eating raisins, but I'm trying to cut down on my pasta-before-bed habit.  And we're almost out of yogurt.  So, I'm eating raisins.  (shh.  some of them are chocolate-covered raisins...)

The chocolate is necessary for its medically therapeutic properties.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, here’s a question for the ages.....

When do you throw out all the mateless socks?? 

And to piggyback on that.... where do the missing socks go?? I’m being quite serious. They cannot just disappear. They have to be somewhere,

Take your dryer apart. That's where they went. My sock method:

Everyone has one "set" of socks. Think 12 pack of white gym socks with red stripes on top or 10 pack of ankle socks. Everyone has one set, all exactly the same. When they have sufficiently worn out the set it gets tossed as a whole, including the stragglers. Since all of an individuals socks match there are many less stragglers.

• Like 2