Menu

What's with the ads?

17 minutes ago, Junie said:

Slache, you weren't even born in the 70s.

Have you never had Spam?

Nope. The smell makes me gag. I imagine it's not actually gross, but I think a lot of good things smell gross and gross things smell good. I haz a broken. My favorite scent is rotting feet. Like dead rotting flesh from a foot. I knew something was wrong with my sense of smell very young, but spam is vomit inducing.

Now that's a BOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I have some Spam in my pantry cause my kids asked to try it. That and deviled ham in a can. Since I have pciky eaters, I'll buy whatever new something they ask to try even if I think it is gross but I draw the line at raw anything.

How come nobody homeschools in Scotland? Are the schools really that good? Do they just not know about us awesome WTMer's not to mention ITT? If we go (and it is looking like more a question of when rather than if), how am I going to buy books when there aren't any local suppliers and shipping costs a fortune? Dh wants us/me to at least consider putting the kids in school there. I am NOT a fan. the systems are too different and mine would be considered behind anyway.

Thanks to ITT for letting me vent my concerns in a safe environment. I do really appreciate it. Now somebody make a joke.

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Spam Musubi is a Hawaiian thing.  I'm an island girl even if I have only been in the airport. 

Spam also features prominently in Okinawan cooking; probably because it was one of the few foods available in the years following WWII. Many Okinawans immigrated to Hawaii as well.

Spam and bitter melon fried together with a bowl of rice was one of my favorite breakfasts. Something about the saltiness of the spam made the bitter melon palatable.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

I've been researching college admissions for homeschoolers in my state. I'm going to have to call some schools because they don't put much information online.

High school planning gets complicated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! Why are you awake?

Because some think that if they have to get up that they should turn all the lights on and make a bunch of noise.

I'm actually in a room by myself with 3 lights on, none of which I turned on myself.

Three lights. In a bedroom. By myself.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

Because some think that if they have to get up that they should turn all the lights on and make a bunch of noise.

I'm actually in a room by myself with 3 lights on, none of which I turned on myself.

Three lights. In a bedroom. By myself.

Is the culprit still alive?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Is the culprit still alive?

Yes. He makes money and food. The repercussions of killing him are too great. Unfortunately he knows this.

I turned the lights off. One is back on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Good morning!

When I was little, my mom would sometimes make these spam sandwiches with finely chopped spam mixed with mayo, dijon(?), and poppy seeds put on an English muffin half, topped with swiss cheese, and broiled. So delicious.

Summer Orchestra camp again today.  With morning and afternoon traffic, I'm driving about 4 hours a day getting them there and back.  But they are really enjoying it and it's super cheap, so yay.  Dd10 and I are going to a "book swap" with friends and we'll bring a picnic lunch if I can get something put together on time.  At least we have peaches!

Coffee!

• Like 5

Morning!  I ate Spam, as well as potted meat, when I was a kid.   The Spam was always sliced and fried.  Can't make myself eat it now for anything.  

Our friends driving in from Florida made it to Louisiana last night and stopped at a hotel.  So they expect to be here by bedtime tonight. 

Off to work!  See ya!

• Like 6

Dh used to run 9-10 miles each day.  Many, many years ago.  He hasn't run at allin years, except what he needs to while coaching.   He started running again this week!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!!

I woke up between 5 and 5:30, but I slept well and I get a nap after lunch.

After last night's discussion here, I decided to work on my literature curricula.  I wish that I could print it out because I work on paper so much more easily than on the computer.  But, it's 165 pages long and anything that I would write on paper I would have to type back into the document anyway.  Sigh.  It is going to take a very, very long time to get this thing done.

• Like 6

Morning, it's raining heavily here.  Icky, gloomy day.  

After classes and before tutoring I need to run to the library to pick up a book I have on hold.  I'm really hoping the rain stops or at least slows down.  

Someone asked about prehistory on a very large, kind of oddly run facebook group I belong to.  I posted my blog which has no affiliate links, no items for sale at all, no info on my current business, and hasn't been updated in a year or so.  Got a message it had to be taken down because blogs are considered "self-promotion".   I belong to a lot of groups that don't allow any kind of sales, but that's the first time I've seen that.   I wonder how that reconciles with the constant mentions of Teachers Pay Teachers, including specific "stores", when I know some of them are for the people that post there.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

When I was little, my mom would sometimes make these spam sandwiches with finely chopped spam mixed with mayo, dijon(?), and poppy seeds put on an English muffin half, topped with swiss cheese, and broiled. So delicious.

Summer Orchestra camp again today.  With morning and afternoon traffic, I'm driving about 4 hours a day getting them there and back.  But they are really enjoying it and it's super cheap, so yay.  Dd10 and I are going to a "book swap" with friends and we'll bring a picnic lunch if I can get something put together on time.  At least we have peaches!

Coffee!

I love hearing about your family's music.

It always inspires me to get my kids more involved in music, I grew up in a music family but haven't done nearly as much with my own kids as I anticipated.

Maybe one of these days the inspiration will last long enough for me to actually do something about it.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Junie said:

Ds18's content is good.  He should have had more practice in formatting/documentation.  A lot of schools use the Chicago/Turabian style.  I grew up using MLA, so that is all that I taught.

The program that I want to write will require one paper every month.  I think that writing 9 papers of various length will give more practice with the actual writing of the paper with less emphasis on the content.  Content is important, but the formatting is where the weaknesses seem to be most evident.

You really think so? I've found that most college classes requiring writing point in the direction of which style to use and the resources because there are different styles. Even in grad school, they were teaching formatting because people come from different backgrounds. They even gave websites that would help format, but said to double check them because format rules would change and the websites couldn't always keep up.

I mean, it's a good idea to practice different formats, but I don't think there is a huge disadvantage if a student is really proficient in one and learns another style in college (rather than learning all of them in one year). If you go in that direction, maybe spend a couple of months on each style, but it's really not enough to become proficient in any of them. (In my opinion.)

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning, it's raining heavily here.  Icky, gloomy day.  

After classes and before tutoring I need to run to the library to pick up a book I have on hold.  I'm really hoping the rain stops or at least slows down.  

Someone asked about prehistory on a very large, kind of oddly run facebook group I belong to.  I posted my blog which has no affiliate links, no items for sale at all, no info on my current business, and hasn't been updated in a year or so.  Got a message it had to be taken down because blogs are considered "self-promotion".   I belong to a lot of groups that don't allow any kind of sales, but that's the first time I've seen that.   I wonder how that reconciles with the constant mentions of Teachers Pay Teachers, including specific "stores", when I know some of them are for the people that post there.  

Ugh, I've had that happen on an fb page. I shared a live I had done about whether bilingual adults regretted being bilingual. It was to start a conversation in a bilingual group, and followed along the vein of some questions that had been asked. It was taken down and I was told the same thing. I wasn't promoting anything at all either, except a conversation...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

You really think so? I've found that most college classes requiring writing point in the direction of which style to use and the resources because there are different styles. Even in grad school, they were teaching formatting because people come from different backgrounds. They even gave websites that would help format, but said to double check them because format rules would change and the websites couldn't always keep up.

I mean, it's a good idea to practice different formats, but I don't think there is a huge disadvantage if a student is really proficient in one and learns another style in college (rather than learning all of them in one year). If you go in that direction, maybe spend a couple of months on each style, but it's really not enough to become proficient in any of them. (In my opinion.)

This has been my experience as well. Every department wanted a different formatting style, you just have to follow directions; I wouldn't try to learn them all. 

• Like 3

I need to get out of bed. Which means I need to extract myself from under the four year old who is using me as a pillow without disturbing the two year old lying next to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈

Happy Nirthday, Awix!!

🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈🎉🎉🎈🎈

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Renai said:

5 minutes ago, maize said:

This has been my experience as well. Every department wanted a different formatting style, you just have to follow directions; I wouldn't try to learn them all. 

Well, the problem that we've had here (with my own kids) is that I de-emphasized the formatting so much that my kids don't know how to format at all.  They know how to research and put sentences together, but they struggle with documenting and writing a bibliography.

I don't want them to memorize a particular style, but I do want them to be familiar with the process.  My kids won't get that by just writing a couple of papers each year.  We've tried and it has not worked.  There is so much time between writing assignments that they forget that they need a title, they forget that they need to document, they forget how to write a bibliography page.

With the bibliography page, for instance, it isn't just a matter of whether to call it a bibliography or works cited.  They completely forget that they are supposed to alphabetize the entries, to write last name first, etc.

I want the girls to be much more familiar with the process than ds18 was when he left for college.  He has told me that he is still losing major points on most of his papers because he didn't present the information properly.

• Like 5

We use easybib.

I'm pretty sure that is what 99% of bibliography writers do these days. I used it for my masters degree that I just finished a couple of years ago.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, maize said:

24 minutes ago, maize said:

Here's a list of which formatting styles are generally preferred within the different academic disciplines:

https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/using_research/resources_for_documenting_sources_in_the_disciplines/complete_discipline_listing.html

Oh, I wasn't planning to teach them all.  I taught MLA (but not very well) and then ds18 found that his school uses Chicago almost exclusively (at least in his major).  He got really confused, not because it was a different style than he had been taught but because he had not been taught any style well.  

• Like 4

Easybib doesn't take care of other formatting issues of course but it does a pretty good job of automating the bibliography formatting according to whichever style you request; even alphabetizes it for you.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, maize said:

We use easybib.

I'm pretty sure that is what 99% of bibliography writers do these days. I used it for my masters degree that I just finished a couple of years ago.

Yes, we have used this too.  (Dh used it for his master's degree, too.) 😉

My kids still are getting lost though.

Even with easybib, they forget how to use the website from one paper to another.  This is why we need more papers on a regular basis.

I personally don't like easybib.  I think it's just easier to do it myself than to use a website.  I was an English Ed major and wrote a lot of papers in college without having access to the internet.  I have a hard time remembering how to document things found on the www.  

You would think that having a degree in English Ed would make this a no-brainer.  In real life, though, I have discovered that I have a hard time teaching things that come easily to me.  (I also have a hard time teaching math which does not come easily, but that's another story.)

• Like 5

For instructors who are nitpicky about formatting I find templates helpful; you can google "stylename template" and examples pop up.

I'd much rather focus on content than formatting and see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Yes, we have used this too.  (Dh used it for his master's degree, too.) 😉

My kids still are getting lost though.

Even with easybib, they forget how to use the website from one paper to another.  This is why we need more papers on a regular basis.

I personally don't like easybib.  I think it's just easier to do it myself than to use a website.  I was an English Ed major and wrote a lot of papers in college without having access to the internet.  I have a hard time remembering how to document things found on the www.  

You would think that having a degree in English Ed would make this a no-brainer.  In real life, though, I have discovered that I have a hard time teaching things that come easily to me.  (I also have a hard time teaching math which does not come easily, but that's another story.)

I think it is always hard to teach stuff that is easy for us because we never had to develop learning strategies for those things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, maize said:

For instructors who are nitpicky about formatting I find templates helpful; you can google "stylename template" and examples pop up.

I'd much rather focus on content than formatting and see no reason to reinvent the wheel.

My kids have generally been good with content.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel.  I'm trying to find the wheel and teach my kids how to use it.

What I'm writing is mostly a literature curricula with writing prompts.  I want to include basic instructions for writing a research paper, but that isn't the main focus.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, maize said:

Personal space is not a well understood concept around here.

You have kids...duh. People would constantly apologize to me for "getting in my personal space." I'm like, what's that? I teach prek, I have no personal space. (It got so bad, I once had a random kid from my class sit on my lap, and when I looked down, I wondered when he got there...). 

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

Well, the problem that we've had here (with my own kids) is that I de-emphasized the formatting so much that my kids don't know how to format at all.  They know how to research and put sentences together, but they struggle with documenting and writing a bibliography.

I don't want them to memorize a particular style, but I do want them to be familiar with the process.  My kids won't get that by just writing a couple of papers each year.  We've tried and it has not worked.  There is so much time between writing assignments that they forget that they need a title, they forget that they need to document, they forget how to write a bibliography page.

With the bibliography page, for instance, it isn't just a matter of whether to call it a bibliography or works cited.  They completely forget that they are supposed to alphabetize the entries, to write last name first, etc.

I want the girls to be much more familiar with the process than ds18 was when he left for college.  He has told me that he is still losing major points on most of his papers because he didn't present the information properly.

Ah, yes, in that case, writing more papers requiring documentation is good. I'd just do one really well, and that can take all year. Wait, you taught English, right? I know when I taught American lit a couple of years ago, it literally took all year of monthly papers for most of the kids to do...I think MLA...well. So, question: I thought that the style used had to do with the department - science uses a particular style, social science, etc. (I can't think of the right words right now...). Right? So, yeah, one style taught well should do it.

Which I see you said later. Tell ds18 to get a template online and follow it for whatever style he needs to use. The templates will have where to place the title, headings and such, and will help him format correctly until he has it ingrained. 

• Like 3

I hatehatehatehatehate formatting bibliographies by hand.

I'd rather do 5000 pushups.

Funny how different people can be 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maize said:

See, I wind up repeating things when I take forever to write one post. Yeah, the template...

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

Ah, yes, in that case, writing more papers requiring documentation is good. I'd just do one really well, and that can take all year. Wait, you taught English, right? I know when I taught American lit a couple of years ago, it literally took all year of monthly papers for most of the kids to do...I think MLA...well. So, question: I thought that the style used had to do with the department - science uses a particular style, social science, etc. (I can't think of the right words right now...). Right? So, yeah, one style taught well should do it.

Which I see you said later. Tell ds18 to get a template online and follow it for whatever style he needs to use. The templates will have where to place the title, headings and such, and will help him format correctly until he has it ingrained. 

As an English major I used MLA exclusively.  Dh used a completely different format as an engineering major.

The school that ds18 goes to uses Chicago/Turabian.  This is what I am probably going to teach, since dd16 is graduating next year an hoping to go to the same college that ds18 attends.  Since she will likely need to use Chicago as well, I think that it would be helpful to her to focus on learning that really well next year.

Ds18 told me that he would show me his papers from this past year, so I am hoping that over the summer I can go through those with him and help him to do better next year.

• Like 1

Part of my "use a template and easybib" strategy probably results from my mixed up educational history. I majored in anthropology (Chicago) minored in microbiology (CSE) did the first part of a Master's in Literature (MLA) and finished up with a Master's in Education (APA).

I can't remember anything from any of them, they're all mixed together. If I go to format a bibliography by hand I have to refer to a guide every single step of the way.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, maize said:

Part of my "use a template and easybib" strategy probably results from my mixed up educational history. I majored in anthropology (Chicago) minored in microbiology (CSE) did the first part of a Master's in Literature (MLA) and finished up with a Master's in Education (APA).

I can't remember anything from anything them, they're all mixed together. If I got to format a bibliography by hand I have to refer to a guide every single step of the way.

I studied psychology (APA) and education (also APA) and was very happy there were separate graders for the English lit class. I did not want to have to learn a whole other writing format just to teach the class, lol!

• Like 2

I picked up the soccer uniforms and coaching manual and contacted all the parents on "my roster" last night. Does that mean I'm officially the coach????

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Renai said:

I picked up the soccer uniforms and coaching manual and contacted all the parents on "my roster" last night. Does that mean I'm officially the coach????

Claro.

• Confused 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!!!

It was 107 degrees yesterday. Only supposed to be 99 today. Downright chilly, I’d say. Maybe I’ll put on a sweater.😜

Nothing much happening today. Today and tomorrow are it for official school.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

I studied psychology (APA) and education (also APA) and was very happy there were separate graders for the English lit class. I did not want to have to learn a whole other writing format just to teach the class, lol!

I *think* that MLA and Chicago are similar.

One of my summer projects is to familiarize myself with the Chicago style so that I can guide dd16 in her last year of homeschool.  I have a feeling that she is not going to like how many writing assignments I'm going to be throwing at her.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Renai said:

Looks that way, Babe!!😂 Go Sportsball!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I’m outta likes. 

Happy last week of school, Krissi!!!🎉🏆🍫

happy Birthdsy Alex!🎉🎂🎉🎂

Its a happy typo booyah!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 7

On 6/13/2016 at 8:42 AM, whitehawk said:

Happy baby day to you.

Happy baby day to you.

Happy baby day, dear Slachie!