Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I've been up since 5:00AM EST so I could cook DH and company (early risers) breakfast. I tried second sleep but it didn't take, so coffee it is!

You are a good woman. I would have put out cereal boxes and bowls before I went to bed.😂

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Happy 1st Day of Advent!

Church and Sunday school this morning, and ds14, ds24, and I have various rehearsals tonight, but we have a nice window in the afternoon for Advent candles and singing.  I have some new music for us to try as well as old favorites.  

Coffee!

Your church does Lessons and Carols for Advent, doesn’t it?? 

Not Advent, Christmas Eve.

Edited by KrissiK

Morning. I was so tired I couldn't go to sleep for hours. But I finally beat the adrenaline that was keeping me awake and got to sleep. The wind came in around two I think and woke me up, but I got back to sleep after that. 

I may attempt a nap this afternoon, but it's more likely I'll write, and then catch up on all the things that needed to be done while I was working that weren't done. But caffeine first.

• Like 3

I have the boys clearing the mantle for Christmas decorations, and we'll decide on where our Christmas tree will be later today. I made up my mind to try to be half-way less Grinchy this year. So far the response has been less than enthusiastic. "Why do we have to decorate? It's not Christmas yet."

Just for that, I'll torture them with Christmas music during decoration time.

ETA: Grinch-time Booyah!

You're a mean one, Ms. Grinch,

You teach! You work! You write!

And when it comes to Christmas, you will decorate with spite,

Ms. Grinch!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Morning.  Our big snow, ice, sleet storm is supposed to hit sometime this morning.  I'm still working on classes and school planning but I don't think I'm going to get through all three weeks I have until Christmas break.  I'll do the best I can then I can fill in the gaps as we go along.  Still better than always doing it the night before class.

I didn't sleep well again.  I've also felt vaguely nauseous a lot lately.  I'm not sure if they are related but I think they might be hormonal.  I've been getting the sharp ovulation pains too.   Blech.  I'm ready to be done with all this.

What really kept me from lounging in bed though was my ankles.  My one ankle has been starting to ache while in bed and hurts when I first walk on it but gets better pretty quickly once I'm up and around.  That pain is on the top of my foot right at the ankle joint.  Now my other foot I"m getting pain up the back of my heel.   

I can't wait to go back to class.  I feel like I fall apart whenever I'm off for a week.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Your church does Lessons and Carols for Advent, doesn’t it?? 

Not Advent, Christmas Eve.

We do an evening "lessons and carols" service with a small choir and chamber orchestra - usually one of the middle Sundays in December.  (Our church doesn't usually have Sunday evening services.)  They also do a Christmas Eve service, but we are never here for that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

We are enjoying our Trailguide curriculum and even made up our own game to practice latitude and longitude that's very reminiscent of Battleship. I give him a map and call out coordinates, he finds them as fast as he can and marks his map, then yells out which continent or ocean he lands in. It's really fun when more people play so you can race to the coordinates.

This is why I like to use short and direct resources. If you had spent 45 minutes on geography you might not want to do things like that.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

At least you didn't rub your phone under your armpits like deodorant.

:ohmy:

This time. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My husband's mother wants to know when she can visit me and the new baby after he's born, despite not resolving any issues with Dave, and despite telling us recently that she has shingles all over her face. I'm so confused, I don't even know where to begin with this.

"I think that we should talk about this after your shingles are gone because at this point we don't know when that's going to be."

• Like 5

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

Every time I blink, that little pile of dishes seems to grow bigger and bigger.

When we didn't have a dishwasher we had one dish per person. One plate, one bowl, one mug and one cup. I did all of the dishes after each meal. Done.

• Like 3

My answer is just no, but I don't talk to his mother. He's more diplomatic than I am, and just didn't answer. Which also means I'll be giving her name to the nurses in L&D and asking them not to let her visit me when I'm there, because I wouldn't put it past her to try.

I'm pleasant and kind to my in-laws, and I mostly leave them to Dave to deal with, but I will draw lines and be "mean" to protect my kids. I'm okay with that.

We're doing a MIL thing here too, which is particularly annoying because we were already doing two other MIL things.

Tell the nurses she has shingles. I put my MIL on the no list but she got in anyway, but shingles is serious and they'll take it seriously.

• Like 4

One time I read a cookbook that snuck extra veggies or beans or whatever into recipes to boost nutrition, and I thought that would be a great idea, so I made the chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas. My husband took one bite and demanded to know what was in them. I tried to hedge, but eventually I told him, and I kid you not, he still refuses to eat chickpeas. He would prefer I not bring them in the house, just in case. 

This was seven years ago.

Lol! I don't sneak, that's just your only option. Last night was roasted chicken and veggies, tomorrow is fried catfish sammiches and broccoli salad. Eat it or starve, not my problem. But here brownies are just brownies. I'm too tired for anything else.

• Like 3

We really have 3 MIL things going? Seriously?

1. She wants to meet us in Arkansas to hand deliver Christmas gifts and is making our no a total thing.

2. We're getting together in March and she's nitpicking every possible angle.

3. She's decided to buy a house here, rent it out as an Airbnb and have us manage it.

All of this is unnecessary. And then the FIL thing. I think we were left out of the loop as a lesson.

• Confused 3

13 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

One time I read a cookbook that snuck extra veggies or beans or whatever into recipes to boost nutrition, and I thought that would be a great idea, so I made the chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas. My husband took one bite and demanded to know what was in them. I tried to hedge, but eventually I told him, and I kid you not, he still refuses to eat chickpeas. He would prefer I not bring them in the house, just in case. 

This was seven years ago.

I once put kale in a layered casserole-type dish and have never lived it down.  Everyone loves it if I add spinach, but kale? Don't even think about it!  :laugh:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I think you're a much nicer daughter in law than I am.

I do call and talk to her. She's broke, in poor health, overworked and has no one. But it normally turns into a guilt trip or manipulation tactic so I avoid it. Essentially if she's not expecting me she can use me to let off steam, if she is expecting me she's prepared with a battle plan, so I have to call at the right time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I once put kale in a layered casserole-type dish and have never lived it down.  Everyone loves it if I add spinach, but kale? Don't even think about it!  :laugh:

Oh heaven's no! You can do spinach, onions, various squash, mushrooms and ground cauliflower and call it a veggie lasagna.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

My husband's mother wants to know when she can visit me and the new baby after he's born, despite not resolving any issues with Dave, and despite telling us recently that she has shingles all over her face. I'm so confused, I don't even know where to begin with this.

How about when Cheeto turns 1?  It maybe 18?  😬😜🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Which also means I'll be giving her name to the nurses in L&D and asking them not to let her visit me when I'm there, because I wouldn't put it past her to try.

We didn't tell anyone until DS was a few hours old that he had arrived, and I don't think we told anyone which hospital.

I agree with telling them about the shingles in case she shows up anyway.

Houseguest is gone; kitty is overjoyed.  DS has a cold. 🙄 I hope nobody caught it from him.

• Like 6

I'm installing new flooring in my kitchen. We've made do with cheap stick on tiles every since moving in nine years ago but they don't last well and I'm tired of my floor never looking decent--I find it particularly discouraging to clean and still have things not look nice. So I'm upgrading to slightly less inexpensive and more durable vinyl plank flooring. Which as flooring goes is definitely one of the easiest kinds to install but still takes time. I'm tired. And I'm not even 1/4 done.

• Like 3

Feeling grumpy tonight because my bottom sheet is uncomfortable. I barely got to sleep last night and that rough, rough sheet was part of it. I'm so tired of having cast-off everything. I'm buying myself sheets I like this time, and that's that! And they will fit, be soft as angel's feathers, and will be nice and not keep me up at night.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

No.

2 hours ago, Slache said:

We really have 3 MIL things going? Seriously?

1. She wants to meet us in Arkansas to hand deliver Christmas gifts and is making our no a total thing.

2. We're getting together in March and she's nitpicking every possible angle.

3. She's decided to buy a house here, rent it out as an Airbnb and have us manage it.

All of this is unnecessary. And then the FIL thing. I think we were left out of the loop as a lesson.

I'm pretty sure she needs a contract with you in order for you to manage it, and since ya'll aren't signing anything, it won't be your problem.

33 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Feeling grumpy tonight because my bottom sheet is uncomfortable. I barely got to sleep last night and that rough, rough sheet was part of it. I'm so tired of having cast-off everything. I'm buying myself sheets I like this time, and that's that! And they will fit, be soft as angel's feathers, and will be nice and not keep me up at night.

Make sure to share what sheets you get. I'm also looking.

• Like 4

So every school district around here is closed tomorrow.  Except the one where the science center is, the one I use to make a decision.  They have a delayed opening.  Our Winter Storm Warning is in effect until 4am Tuesday.  We're supposed to get 8-12 inches of snow on top of sleet, freezing rain and icing.  It's already been super icy today.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

We had oatmeal and German pancake. People had polished off the remaining leftovers earlier. You guys are all waay better cooks and have waay better eaters than I do.

This was actually a very easy meal. I even threw in a can of spaghetti sauce so I didn't have to put very much work into it.

• Like 1

We lit the first Advent candle, read Isaiah 7:14, and sang Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel.

And I let the kids unwrap the stable for the Little People nativity I bought last week.

So I feel like we got a pretty good start to Advent.

Crazy week ahead, kids have one rehearsal and four performances of Frozen. I'm pretty sure they have at least one choir performance as well but I haven't checked the schedule. The choir does a lot of performances at places like nursing homes, I really need to get them on my calendar. I'm kinda afraid to look them up because we are so busy already; Christmas season is such a crunch time.

• Like 4

Orchestra rehearsal was fine.  My brain is tired.  I think dh and I have the master schedule coordinated for the week for who needs to drop off and pick people up and when.  Things will feel a bit crazy for the next 2-1/2 weeks, but we will make it through.  I think one day this week I will have to wear my black concert clothes all day because I won't have time to change into them when needed.  I Can pretend I'm all gothic. :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I personally would call it.

I would have except after the complaints about last week I figured I better follow my official policy.    I woke up to absolutely no snow.  Evidently we're still getting a storm, it's just delayed by a few hours.   Local school did switch to closing so I closed as well.   I really wish they would have made the call last night so I could have stayed in bed.  

• Like 5