Menu

What's with the ads?

If you were 35 years old and had been trying to get pregnant for a year with no luck, would you be worried enough that something was wrong with you that you’d go see the doctor?

I really don’t want to go in just to be told that I’m old and fat and stressed and why do I even care bc I already have four kids but I can’t help worrying that something is wrong. I didn’t expect my body to poop out on me this early. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spudater said:

My grandfather had a walnut tree because he loved walnuts. He was in a Caddyshack level war with the squirrels over those nuts. He used to sit under the tree in a lawn chair with his shotgun, guarding it. 🙂

Remarkably, we have no squirrels here.

No bunnies to eat my garden either.

I've seen occasional evidence of a raccoon wandering through, but otherwise the only pests of note are insects and snails and such.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, maize said:

Remarkably, we have no squirrels here.

What?!?  Where is this Garden of Paradise?  Is it guarded by the Circle of Unicorns?  I suppose now you're going to tell me you have no moles digging tunnels willy nilly through your yard and garden?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Spudater said:

If you were 35 years old and had been trying to get pregnant for a year with no luck, would you be worried enough that something was wrong with you that you’d go see the doctor?

I really don’t want to go in just to be told that I’m old and fat and stressed and why do I even care bc I already have four kids but I can’t help worrying that something is wrong. I didn’t expect my body to poop out on me this early. 

No. But if I was stressed about it I would go in just cuz.

• Like 2

Just now, Slache said:

No. But if I was stressed about it I would go in just cuz.

Well I will also stress about going in though, so we can remove my stress from the equation. 

I am pretty much incapable of not worrying about something. If there is not something real and immediate to worry about then I will worry about the remote, potential, or fantastical.

For example, we just finished the school year. I have maybe a couple weeks worth of work to lesson plan for next year and three months to do it in. So I am worrying about high school, college, the job market, and how my children will find good apouses. 

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I'm awake but not awake, iykwim.

• Like 3

Four hours and 38 minutes of blasted sleep because of Dh  waking me up for two hours in the middle of the night waiting for the airporter. I am still mad about it. Leaving to drive 3 1/2 hours now. Already in pain. Pray that I don't crash. 

• Sad 7

53 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Well I will also stress about going in though, so we can remove my stress from the equation. 

I am pretty much incapable of not worrying about something. If there is not something real and immediate to worry about then I will worry about the remote, potential, or fantastical.

For example, we just finished the school year. I have maybe a couple weeks worth of work to lesson plan for next year and three months to do it in. So I am worrying about high school, college, the job market, and how my children will find good apouses. 

I didn't realize we are related!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

I didn't realize we are related!

This is why we had 5 children - to spread the worry around.  😂

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I googled for you.  (Hope my family doesn't notice my search history, lol.)  1 year is the benchmark for trying and then seeking help, so you're justified to make an appointment.  Also, anecdotally I know someone who was taking a cocktail of OTC vitamins/ supplements to help her during peri-menopause and whether causation or correlation, ended up with a surprise pregnancy.  When she had an appointment and wrote out what she was taking the dr. said - "Hm, that's what we advise our patients trying to conceive take, lol!"   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I googled for you.  (Hope my family doesn't notice my search history, lol.)  1 year is the benchmark for trying and then seeking help, so you're justified to make an appointment.  Also, anecdotally I know someone who was taking a cocktail of OTC vitamins/ supplements to help her during peri-menopause and whether causation or correlation, ended up with a surprise pregnancy.  When she had an appointment and wrote out what she was taking the dr. said - "Hm, that's what we advise our patients trying to conceive take, lol!"   

Oops!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I need bookcases for the science center.  I'm mainly looking online because I hate shopping.  Except I might go to our local Habitat Restore and see what they have.

Dd gave me her cold.  She's feeling lots better after two days of droopy and sneezy.  I actually thought it might be allergies but now that she's shared it with me, I can feel the difference.    It's not that bad and once I find out I'm not doing a workshop today, I can come home and take it mostly easy for the weekend.  Dh is still down with his mom at the hospital.  She's doing a little better, still ups and downs.

I also hate shopping and usually do so online. But I wanted it yesterday and was sure I would find a simple bookcase. After all that, I didn't find one locally and wound up ordering online anyway. Sigh. I pick up from Walmart on Wednesday.

Removing stress from the question, would you rather know if there is an issue or not? As a borderline worrier, I would rather just know, so I have a specific focus of my worry...😁

• Like 4

There is a whole lotta "I put it back in the bin so I don't know why it's not there" going on this morning. :dry:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ikslo said:

I   The plane better not crash because then I’ll be really poopy. 😂

3 hours ago, whitehawk said:

because you know we're gonna tell JJM, and then... she will use her problem-solving skills. 🙂

💞I am known. This is love. 💞

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Four hours and 38 minutes of blasted sleep because of Dh  waking me up for two hours in the middle of the night waiting for the airporter. I am still mad about it. Leaving to drive 3 1/2 hours now. Already in pain. Pray that I don't crash. 

🤨 Please see the above.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spudater said:

Sister. My child's other genetic contributor likes to say, "I don't have to worry about anything, because she worries about EVERYTHING." 😑

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

What?!?  Where is this Garden of Paradise?  Is it guarded by the Circle of Unicorns?  I suppose now you're going to tell me you have no moles digging tunnels willy nilly through your yard and garden?

Nope, no moles either. 

Here in Utah we have cute little birds that go hopping about and some nice little garter snakes in the grass. Occasional grasshopper plagues (they devoured my sunflowers a couple of years ago as soon as each head started to open).

There are some squirrels up in the mountains but none down here in the valley. There are also mountain lions up in the mountains--a friend of mine watched one through her back window carrying a dead cat in its mouth. Makes you hesitate to let the kids play in the back yard...

The mountains are beautiful but I'm kinda glad I live in the valley.

• Like 5

I sent dd15 off to an out of state karate tournament (OK, it's only two and a half hours away...) without me today.

Wish I was there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So I did end up running the workshop today.  One person showed up with two kids, and not either of the ones that said "Going" either.   Mom ended up staying and we talked a lot.  It wasn't the best workshop to be a true example of what I do, it was a Lego/KNex engineering one and I basically give challenges and the kids work on them.  I don't direct much, I'd rather they try things out and rework as necessary.  But it seemed to go okay.    My snake was a big hit, as usual.

MIL was doing okay yesterday, then had a rough night and is stabilizing again today.  I don't think this is going to be resolved anytime soon.  On the bright side, all the brothers are now on board with doing what's necessary to get them in assisted living, and dh is able to talk to a lot of people at the hospital about the best ways to go about it.

• Like 9

I went to the AFSA. All real-life cashiers have been replaced by Scan & Go, except for four. Of the four, only one was open (with a real live cashier). It had a long line. I went to electronics to pay with a real live person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

I have to go to the AFSA.

image.png.062e4dc7163578f3d809ef893d9158ca.png

I survived.  Go, me.

Bonus points: Bazooka stayed in the car. No casualties. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

It's Lost in the 50s weekend.  There are lots of beautiful old cars and really stupid drivers. 

• Like 4

I went to the AFSA.  Some weeks it seems I go to the AFSA every other day.  It's annoying.  I like the scan and go registers.  I will go to the self-checkouts in any store I shop at before I'll go to a person.  I'm a better cashier than most of the ones they have.  Our AFSA usually only has the register that sells cigarettes open with a real person.    

I'm hoping to go nowhere tomorrow.  Except I have to go to the science center at least briefly to feed the fish and the turtle.  But other than that.  And I can do that in my pjs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

I survived.  Go, me.

Bonus points: Bazooka stayed in the car. No casualties. 

Live employee or Scan & Go?

37 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I went to the AFSA.  Some weeks it seems I go to the AFSA every other day.  It's annoying.  I like the scan and go registers.  I will go to the self-checkouts in any store I shop at before I'll go to a person.  I'm a better cashier than most of the ones they have.  Our AFSA usually only has the register that sells cigarettes open with a real person.    

I'm hoping to go nowhere tomorrow.  Except I have to go to the science center at least briefly to feed the fish and the turtle.  But other than that.  And I can do that in my pjs.

I needed a real person because I only had a hundred dollar bill. Scan & Go doesn't take those bills, and then I'd need to wait for a real person anyway. 

I prefer a person. I'm paying the prices of those products so they can hire people in the community to bag, cash, and do other jobs. The machines replaced people. I think it really bugged me today because there were so few live employees in the store, then I drove by double the number of homeless there usually are.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

I'm so proud of all you AFSA survivors!

Ds14 played really well at the recital.  He is one of those anomalies in that he doesn't really get nervous and he plays best when he is performing.  I do not have that problem.    :biggrin:  The wedding went very well, music timing was good, and they had a fantastic wedding coordinator, and the people are now married, so mission accomplished.  

Minor headache is lurking in the corners.  I wonder if some popcorn would help?  :smile:

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Renai said:

Scan & Go. Did you miss the part about the no casualties? 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Drove 3 1/2 hours. Had an excellent camp meeting. Some things are really coming together. Drove 3 1/2 hours back home. 

I was 2 hours away when I got a message from my neighbor that my Rottie/shepherd mix was outside menacing people.   No one was at my house. My neighbor very graciously took Juliet in and all the puppies had a raucous play date.   My husband is on the hook for this one too. Or rather he didn’t hook  the gate properly last night. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Renai said:

I needed a real person because I only had a hundred dollar bill. Scan & Go doesn't take those bills, and then I'd need to wait for a real person anyway. 

I prefer a person. I'm paying the prices of those products so they can hire people in the community to bag, cash, and do other jobs. The machines replaced people. I think it really bugged me today because there were so few live employees in the store, then I drove by double the number of homeless there usually are.

There were actually a ton of employees on the floor at our AFSA.  Plus two people "helping" at the Scan & Go area, plus two registers open (because it was Saturday busy time).   Most of our retail places around here have trouble finding enough employees.    They are all constantly hiring.   And new stores opening, we are getting two new Trader Joe's in my county and we just got a Whole Foods and a Wegmans.   Around here, anyone who wants a retail job can pretty much have their pick.

I never knew the Scan & Go wouldn't take hundreds.  I pay with debit card 99% of the time.  Part of the reason I like the self-serve is because I often have to split an order between multiple debit cards (business account and personal account) and cashiers seem to get annoyed or confused when I try to do that.  Not to mention the people getting annoyed behind me in line.  Our AFSA has about 20 self-serve registers so even at the busiest times there's never much of a wait. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

There were actually a ton of employees on the floor at our AFSA.  Plus two people "helping" at the Scan & Go area, plus two registers open (because it was Saturday busy time).   Most of our retail places around here have trouble finding enough employees.    They are all constantly hiring.   And new stores opening, we are getting two new Trader Joe's in my county and we just got a Whole Foods and a Wegmans.   Around here, anyone who wants a retail job can pretty much have their pick.

I never knew the Scan & Go wouldn't take hundreds.  I pay with debit card 99% of the time.  Part of the reason I like the self-serve is because I often have to split an order between multiple debit cards (business account and personal account) and cashiers seem to get annoyed or confused when I try to do that.  Not to mention the people getting annoyed behind me in line.  Our AFSA has about 20 self-serve registers so even at the busiest times there's never much of a wait. 

It's a big change in a short time. I dislike sudden changes. It's a me thing. 😂 It went from a few self-scans and about 16 cashiers (there were more 2 weeks ago), to about 20+ self-scans and 4 cashiers.               

There seemed to be plenty of employees at the AFSA today too, but most of them were busy moving more aisles around to prepare for the pretty new floors that are being put in, bit by bit. Stores have closed around here (1 of 2 Whole Foods, Natural Grocers and others), but many of the ones open here have help wanted ads. I don't know what they are looking for though, because in all these months, my oldest still hasn't landed a job.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 1

Aaaggghhhhh! I think I lost the bilingual seal I purchased for Dancer's high school diploma. I'm really hope I didn't accidentally toss it. It was still in the envelope.

• Sad 4

Good Morning.  Coffee is brewing!

The AFSA is usually our most convenient grocery store.  Sometimes I go to Krogers when dd is at swim.  For dh, sometimes Meijers is convenient after basketball.    

• Like 3

Good morning!

I have lots of grocery choices within 4 miles of my house - 4 Krogers (the closest), a 2 Publixes, Aldi, Sprouts, and 2 fruit/veg/flower stands.  AFSA and Whole Foods are slightly further.  Most of my shopping is done at Aldi.  Kroger for other stuff, and Walmart when I need to stock up on toiletries, socks, and bandaids.

Dd12 and I are playing for services today - I'm only playing first service so I can get home and change and then go play for a university graduation ceremony.

Coffee!

• Like 5

AFSA and Target are close to my house, but I don't like them much. We have to shop a bit here and a bit there to get everything on the list--Food Lion, Lowe's Foods (not the closest one, because it doesn't carry the same stuff!), Whole Foods, occasionally the locally-owned natural foods store or state farmers' market. I used to like Harris Teeter, but they're not good at gluten-free, and all the Kroger stores here closed.

I'm not an entrepreneurial type, but sometimes I'm tempted to open a little grocery store just to have everything I want in one place! It seems ridiculous to drive past four grocery stores to get to the one that carries what I want.

• Like 6

I woke up tired, but there will be caffeine shortly. Just got to boot the boy out of the kitchen so I can use it. 

• Like 5

We have an AFSA, a Kroger, and a Ten Box. There's not a whole lot else, but there are some small specialty places. If I want something exotic, like actual Parmesan cheese, I have to drive two hours to get to a store that has it. But most places carry my GF flours so I can make my own blend, so there's that!

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!!

Rain!!!! We never get rain this late in the year and certainly not this much. Yikes!! It’s really coming down.

I spent all day yesterday in the mountains. The Church Youth Group 8th graders always have an end of the year day trip and this year it was to the mountains. I was a driver. It was nice. It was at my cousin’s cabin, so we just hung out all day and yacked while the kids played games, watched movies and drove around on the golf cart.

Church this morning and then we have D2’s Grandparents Birthday Party. Of course, it is a month after her birthday, but it’s been a crazy month, what with her friends birthday party, Easter, Mother’s Day and everything else. But we’re having it today.

• Like 4

On 5/18/2019 at 6:05 AM, Spudater said:

You should probably go in. Although they may not be able to tell you anything. My doctors could never figure out our infertility. Of course we never ran any super-invasive tests or anything, but the basic tests and exams showed nothing out of the ordinary, yet in almost 17 years of marriage I have never been pregnant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am amazed at how much you all shop at AFSA. I go maybe once a year or so. 

I don't have so many choices here. We DO have 3 grocery stores in our tiny town (lots of tourists), but toiletries and stuff get EXPENSIVE there. And for general "stuff" stuff, we're pretty limited. There's a Fred Meyer, but it's 45 minutes away. In good weather. Without tourist traffic. Which means about two weeks each in summer and fall.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I go every week. I hate that place. But there aren’t a whole lot of other good options. There are two grocery stores in my town (The Afsa isn’t even in my town, it’s in a neighboring town) and one is too expensive and the other is like stepping in to Mexico. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but there’s just a lot of foods and brands that I am not familiar with and it makes me nervous going in there. I can’t find what I want. Plus, The Afsa is one-stop-shopping and they have a Pharmacy and all kinds of other stuff.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Renai said:

I went to the AFSA. All real-life cashiers have been replaced by Scan & Go, except for four. Of the four, only one was open (with a real live cashier). It had a long line. I went to electronics to pay with a real live person.

Scan & Go don’t usually have lines. People scan. And go.  I prefer them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I used to hate AFSA because of the cleaning liquid they use. I always get lightheaded and sick. Now, thanks to Angi, we do the curbside grocery pickup. Glorious! No impulse buys and saves so much time. Last week my grocery budget was very short and I was able to absolutely ensure we had enough food for the week without going over.

I need pants because of the extra shifts and will probably go there because my husband is super political and we boycot target now, even though they have tropical gummies. If I pass out I'll sue and buy the island.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

I used to hate AFSA because of the cleaning liquid they use. I always get lightheaded and sick. Now, thanks to Angi, we do the curbside grocery pickup. Glorious! No impulse buys and saves so much time. Last week my grocery budget was very short and I was able to absolutely ensure we had enough food for the week without going over.

I need pants because of the extra shifts and will probably go there because my husband is super political and we boycot target now, even though they have tropical gummies. If I pass out I'll sue and buy the island.

Oof. Moral dilemma. I don't really want Slash to pass out in the AFSA...do I?

No. No, definitely not. Probably. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 3