Menu

Ignore this thread!

I took a walk. It helped a little bit, so I'll take another one before I have to go to writers' meeting. My left arm is somewhat numb, which makes me think there's a touch of root signature pain with this that I don't like. If it's not better by tomorrow, I'm going to the doctor before I schedule a massage. I don't like being in a ton of pain. It makes everything extra hard. I have a lot of respect for people who deal with this and worse every day and fight through it. I'm a wimp.

But I got my words done, and I'm alert enough now to do my revision work. That's next, and then writers' meeting.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Pressure cooking dinner again. 2 nights in a row. Yay me. It's been a day full of forgetfulness and blunders.

Try phrasing it like this: Behold! With my amazing efficiency and superior technology, I have twice produced dinner for my family, despite my demanding days!

And then we give you trophies, because you're SuperSfork!

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh has used Youtube to fix our dryer and change the alternator in 3 different vehicles. I really admire people who take the time to put together a well done diy video.

My DH has done that, too. Well, the dryer and the oven panel (twice) and the washing machine.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

EDPO cause you know, it’s me and I had way too much time to just lie in bed and think way too much. And when thinking about how I want to remodel this house got too frustrating, my thoughts of course strayed to remodeling school.

ASD Boy: keep on truckin’ along

Quiet Boy: BJU dlo 8 and Saxon Math.

The Girl: “And Now For Something Completely Different”- (Monty Python) Earthschooling Grade 5

Captain: potty train!! He is still refusing, though.

See? I was good. No in-depth boring details that make you want to skim over going, “Blah, blah, blah! Whatever.” I save those for my monthly summary I keep for myself.

What is Earthschooling?

• Like 1

EdPo 'cause Paradox did.

We're still trying to figure out this year. Things that are working: Teaching Textbooks for dd16 and ds14. Well, kinda working for ds14. I have yet to convince him that writing problems down is a good idea when you are solving equations. He tries to do everything in his head and gets frustrated when he can't. I'm gonna have to resort to paying him a quarter for every problem he actually solves on paper or something.

Teach your child to read in 100 EZ lessons and Logic of English A for ds7. He was in public school kindergarten last year and failed to learn to read, I have worried he might be dyslexic like dd11 but he seems to be making good progress.

Math Mammoth for dd11.

Prodigy Math for ds9 and ds7--it isn't supposed to be their only math but at least they don't fight me. And I really do like the prodigy game.

Still trying to work out: everything else. We've got stuff, but it isn't a good fit or isn't getting done consistently. Dd16 of course is the most critical since she is in tenth grade. I think I need something like teaching textbooks for science, textbook based just isn't working. I have a literature program for her, but again not happening consistently. And she really needs a tutor to help with her independent study Arabic course.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I'm tired and cranky and ready to meet my little guy. Only he's not ready to meet us yet, so I'll just keep being tired and cranky until he is. Anyone else get crabby at the end of pregnancy?

My Very Best Baby appeared over 5 weeks early, yet I found myself tempted well before he arrived to tell the next person who mentioned that I looked ready to have the baby any day now and asked whether it was a boy or girl that it was going to be quadruplets, two of each, okay?!?!?

So maybe just a little tired and cranky, yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

Ever have a day all to yourself? When you can get ALL the things done? And you look up and it's 1 pm and you've done NOTHING?

Yeah.🤦‍♀️

I need a vacation. A long one. Alone. On a mountaintop. In the rain.

🙋‍♀️
I’ll go with you. Except on my own mountaintop. Alone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Anyone else watched The Librarian movies on Amazon? We love them! So campy, a little scary, total fun.

The ones with Noah Wyle?   We love them too.  We watched them ages ago when they were on tv., which was evidently TNT in 2004.   There was a tv series a few years ago too that was okay.  Not as good as the movies but okay.

3 hours ago, maize said:

EdPo 'cause Paradox did.

Prodigy Math for ds9 and ds7--it isn't supposed to be their only math but at least they don't fight me. And I really do like the prodigy game.

Still trying to work out: everything else. We've got stuff, but it isn't a good fit or isn't getting done consistently. Dd16 of course is the most critical since she is in tenth grade. I think I need something like teaching textbooks for science, textbook based just isn't working. I have a literature program for her, but again not happening consistently. And she really needs a tutor to help with her independent study Arabic course.

Prodigy math for the win here too. We got a group discount for Premium from a frugal homeschooling group on facebook.

Arabic - I belong to this Multilingual Family group on facebook (a few, actually), and on one of them the admin allows one thread per month for people to advertise commercial stuff. A person advertised that they do 1-1 Arabic tutoring. Let me know if you'd like the info - they do not have a website yet, but can be contacted via WhatsApp. Their course is done through Zoom or Skype.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

It’s barely after 8:00 and I am in my soft and snuggly Costco jammies reading a good book I forgot I had. “Educated”: by Tara Westover.

I keep meaning to read that. I should see if the library has it; I've listened to an interview with her on the radio.

8 hours ago, Renai said:

Prodigy math for the win here too. We got a group discount for Premium from a frugal homeschooling group on facebook.

Arabic - I belong to this Multilingual Family group on facebook (a few, actually), and on one of them the admin allows one thread per month for people to advertise commercial stuff. A person advertised that they do 1-1 Arabic tutoring. Let me know if you'd like the info - they do not have a website yet, but can be contacted via WhatsApp. Their course is done through Zoom or Skype.

We have located a potential tutor locally and are meeting her today, if that doesn't work out I will get back to you.

She felt a need to warn me on the phone that she is Muslim in case I saw her headscarf and was afraid to let her spend time with my daughter. Seems she is not always welcome in the community. This makes me sad.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Morning, I had to drop dh off at work this morning since we dropped his car off for some work.  Doesn't it seem like we do that a lot?   Ugh.  The "benefits" of having a 17 year old car with 250,000 miles on it.   I made him stop for bagels on the way and I ran in DD for a vanilla chai tea on the way home.  It was too much first thing in the morning.  I'm not used to eating all that anymore.  I feel yucky.

I'm meeting a mom and son at the science center at 11:30am about tutoring, then I'm going to make another attempt at taking ds for sneakers.  Dd has TKD at 4pm today so depending on when I have to pick up dh, I'm hoping we get to the gym to sign up ds and I can FINALLY start using my membership.  I'm still a little congested and wheezy but I should be able to do at least some moderate exercise.

• Like 3

EdPo Warning!

I need a literature program for ds.   I was planning to do some Moving Beyond the Page literature units, starting with Wrinkle in Time, together with dd.   Problem is, ds reads a LOT faster than dd so I'm having trouble figuring out how to pace it.   I could do it with just ds but I think the unit would be better done together.  I've been spending so much time thinking about this and not doing it, that I finally bought dd Mosdos so she was doing SOMETHING while I worked it all out.  But I need something for ds.  He's already done the highest level of Mosdos.  I have some of the Norton Anthologies and similar ones but I don't think he's ready for those yet (he's 9th grade).   I want something like Mosdos but for high school level.  Needs to be secular.  I guess I'll have the same problem next year for both kids since dd is doing the highest level of Mosdos now.

ETA:  I thought I was going to do novel studies using a few of the ones available online but evidently I"m not organized enough to do that consistently.  I need something all laid out for the year.

ETA-again:  Preferably no online or dvd or video components.  We don't do as well with those.  If I have to go that direction, I may look and see what Great Courses Plus has.  We have a subscription.   Came up because I googled and found Essentials in Literature.  Nothing on Great Courses Plus.  <<sigh>>

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

https://earthschooling.info/thebearthinstitute/about-earthschooling/

I'm thinking about it.

Quiet Boy would like to know if you guys know of a secular option like BJU with videos and textbooks without an outside teacher? I told him not that I know of, but he wants to ask you guys. He does not want a stack of books or tons of writing.

I saw Earthschooling and said, "Cool! Heading out into the wild for lessons on mathematics, ecology, and the aesthetic beauty of nature!" 🤣 

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

Someone didn’t set my furry alarm clock back an hour. She was meowing outside my window at 4:30am.

Park Day today. My partner and I lead a ..... something or other.... for TK-3rd graders. Today is Pilgrim Day.  So, we will be reading a book about the Pilgrims (during which the kids will be eating popcorn) and then having little stations. One is stuffing little mattresses with pine needles (the books said they did that), one is making butter and putting it on cornbread and one is planting corn. If we have a ton of kids we will be adding a leaf rubbing station. So, it should be fun.

Piano lessons and Awana later today. I have to lead the Awana lesson tonight. My co-director wants to go to her son’s Water Polo game.  I was going to look at the lesson last night, but got too caught up in the book I was reading.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I'm off to the DMV.  I have my passport, SS card, drivers license, birth certificate, marriage license, and home insurance documents.  If you don't hear from me in 6 hours, call the ITT Special Forces for an emergency extraction!

Coffee!

Better bring a vial of blood from your first born and eye-of-newt, just in case.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

EdPo Warning!

I need a literature program for ds.   I was planning to do some Moving Beyond the Page literature units, starting with Wrinkle in Time, together with dd.   Problem is, ds reads a LOT faster than dd so I'm having trouble figuring out how to pace it.   I could do it with just ds but I think the unit would be better done together.  I've been spending so much time thinking about this and not doing it, that I finally bought dd Mosdos so she was doing SOMETHING while I worked it all out.  But I need something for ds.  He's already done the highest level of Mosdos.  I have some of the Norton Anthologies and similar ones but I don't think he's ready for those yet (he's 9th grade).   I want something like Mosdos but for high school level.  Needs to be secular.  I guess I'll have the same problem next year for both kids since dd is doing the highest level of Mosdos now.

ETA:  I thought I was going to do novel studies using a few of the ones available online but evidently I"m not organized enough to do that consistently.  I need something all laid out for the year.

ETA-again:  Preferably no online or dvd or video components.  We don't do as well with those.  If I have to go that direction, I may look and see what Great Courses Plus has.  We have a subscription.   Came up because I googled and found Essentials in Literature.  Nothing on Great Courses Plus.  <<sigh>>

Have you looked at Learning Language Arts Through Literature Gold?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I'm off to the DMV.  I have my passport, SS card, drivers license, birth certificate, marriage license, and home insurance documents.  If you don't hear from me in 6 hours, call the ITT Special Forces for an emergency extraction!

JJM, let me know if you need room for a support base in the region.

We Yed. IDK if it's just the time change or what, but I've been feeling nice and awake in the morning.

• Like 1

We had Muslim neighbors and the problems were so bad they moved to a Muslim community which they did not want to do. Orthodox Jews would pound on their door screaming, car keyed, all sorts of things. They were the kindest neighbors we'd ever had.

Edpo placement depends on content. If I think my ITT girls will know I'll post here, otherwise in the sea. You'll learn what you like.

My throat hurts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3