Menu

Ignore this thread!

53 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

My thread on the  K-8 board is getting interesting. No way I’m posting on it! I’ll get eaten alive! I know my ITT friends won’t eat me, though.

Plan for the day- stay in bed.

I ventured in early on then decided it wasn't worth it.  There are some very........strong opinions on there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

We had to go with fake when we realized ds was getting sick every single Christmas as soon as the tree was in the house.  He's evidently allergic.  I am too but I medicate pretty much year round because I have soooo many allergies.   

We have to have an artificial tree due to allergies as well, but for the past few years we have gotten a real tree to decorate and put on the front porch.  It makes me happy.  I often go outside to smell my tree.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I'm leaving soon to take dgc back.  I cooked the beans, cabbage, cornbread, and mashed potatoes.  And I cut up the watermelon and made unsweet tea.  Everyone is getting dressed now.  

I promised DD a trip to the mall today and I would love to go pick up the tree if I like one.  We'll see.  Dh will have to go back to work, so weight as well go out while he's gone.

Yummy!!!

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We have to have an artificial tree due to allergies as well, but for the past few years we have gotten a real tree to decorate and put on the front porch.  It makes me happy.  I often go outside to smell my tree.  :biggrin:

Great idea!  I love pine smell too.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Morning! I’m still sick but better than yesterday. Unfortunately, everyone here is in varying stages of sick. So many tissues. 

Servant- Huggies hands down. I did insane amounts of research when I was pregnant with Captain. Huggies won out.

My thread on the  K-8 board is getting interesting. No way I’m posting on it! I’ll get eaten alive! I know my ITT friends won’t eat me, though.

Plan for the day- stay in bed.

So is Calvert not a good fit for your family now that it has changed so much?

One of my first homeschooling friends was a long term Calvert user. That would have been the old program though. I've never used anything if theirs except for A Child's History of the World.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

You need to move.

Oh yeah, don’t think we haven’t talked about it. But things get tricky when your roots go as deep as ours do here, and uprooting our family would have a lot of negative ramifications. But if California politics continue as they are make things more and more expensive and the state govt. takes more and more control of things..... we may not have a choice. Our gas prices are almost twice what they are around the rest of the country. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Today is finishing up the laundry.  This will be the first time "all" the laundry is done in about a month.  I was in emergency mode with the laundry lately.   I put "all" in quotes because the

If the laundry is all done, there is some nudity going on! I call it "zeroing" the laundry when all the hampers are empty.

I joined my new church today.

It has gotten chilly here! I love it. Cool and clear beats warm and muggy every time.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I threw out some school wkbks that I felt were just time wasters but now I’m having tossers remorse. I need permission to skip grammar to focus on writing.

Permission granted.

Signed, Junie (with an English Ed degree)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I was today years old when I found out it's "let's get ready to rumble, not let's get ready to rumbo."

51 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, Slache, you have thoroughly confused me. But I do have a fuzzy cold head. From the hint on the main IEW page, it looks like a new replacement for the SWI/SICC.

Eye sink sew.

45 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

The cheap, white bread or the colored brown "wheat" bread?

It's a dia de los muertos thing. Super yummy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Maybe I should go back to a cleaning schedule like this.  Couldn't do bedrooms and bedding on Mondays, but the rest is doable.  I have been setting a timer and doing whatever looks worst, but that just means neater areas, like bedrooms, don't get a deep cleaning very often.  Now that I'm back to full time work hours for a while, I need to set a schedule, I think.  Although laundry will still be bedding separate from towels separate from clothes, but everyone's clothes go together.  Maybe Saturdays for bedrooms and bedding.

Alternative:

1st: Bedrooms, bedding (2)
2nd: Bathrooms, bathroom linens (1)
3rd: Livig areas, kids clothes (2)
4th: Kitchen, our clothes (2)
5th: Misc, misc (1)

Do things really need to be done once a week? Just do the next thing. And do a timer every night for maintenance. It you do the next thing you'll never be behind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

Do the next thing sounds good.  But really the timer will be the main cleaning.time anyway.  Most nights we're not home before 630-7.

You could even pick one per week for deep cleaning. Maybe one plus bathrooms. I live in an apartment with small people and our schedule reflects that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Alternative:

1st: Bedrooms, bedding (2)
2nd: Bathrooms, bathroom linens (1)
3rd: Livig areas, kids clothes (2)
4th: Kitchen, our clothes (2)
5th: Misc, misc (1)

Do things really need to be done once a week? Just do the next thing. And do a timer every night for maintenance. It you do the next thing you'll never be behind.

Around here it's:

M: dh/mine, linens/towels, kitchen linens
T: dds16/21 (when home)
W: ds14
Th: dds10/13
S:kids linens/towels
The kids all do their own laundry/linens/towels. I don't know when Ds24 does his laundry.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, maize said:

Also, most of our bedrooms are upstairs. Laundry is downstairs.

I want a laundry chute.

We had a “chute” when I was a kid - it was really just a hole in the bottom of the bathroom cabinet that went down to the laundry room below. It was horrible, because it meant my mother never had to look at the dirty clothes, and she’d forget/not bother to do laundry until we complained.  You’d open the laundry room door to an absolute avalanche of clothes.  Dirty, smelly, wet clothes and towels.  I never want a laundry chute again. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Anyway, what was your favorite meal as a child?

My dad would grill steak and slice it thin, and serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy.  And every time he would invite my BFF over for dinner because it was her favorite, too.  She’d even eat her veggies in order to not ruin her chance to get re-invited the next time.  So it was my favorite because having a friend over was fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

......and I just had to go and look. I'm only maybe halfway down the first page and it seems they've abandoned your initial question entirely. Instead of keeping it about the changes in Calvert, which I'd never even heard of til a couple months ago, it's morphed into a debate and strong opinions on reasons and methods of homeschooling. Yikes!

And that’s why we don’t swim in the sea, ladies!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maize said:

I do not think that laundry has ever been all done here. 

There are guaranteed to be dirty clothes under a bed or something.

I have empty laundry bins every weekend.  But then again, there are only 3 of us, and DS will rewear pants, so it’s not a lot of laundry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I know. I know. But sometimes I stumble across reviews of stuff that really intrigues me or a thread that puts a new spin on how to teach something more effectively or from a different angle than I would've thought of on my own. I'm not posting or anything. Treading water isn't really the same as swimming.

Nah, I was mostly kidding.  Nothing wrong with using the forums for their intended purpose.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

......and I just had to go and look. I'm only maybe halfway down the first page and it seems they've abandoned your initial question entirely. Instead of keeping it about the changes in Calvert, which I'd never even heard of til a couple months ago, it's morphed into a debate and strong opinions on reasons and methods of homeschooling. Yikes!

Yeah, that tends to happen.

39 minutes ago, ikslo said:

And that’s why we don’t swim in the sea, ladies!

Pretty much!!

• Like 1

Well, it’s been a good Sunday. The Raiders beat the Lions in a really good game. Derek is awesome!!

I planted some snapdragons to make Baby happy. She loves snapdragons, but you have to plant them in the fall and I always forget. So, yesterday when I was at the Afsa I remembered and bought some and planted them this afternoon.

I made a new recipe for dinner. Chicken tortilla soup, which turned out yummy.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, it’s been a good Sunday. The Raiders beat the Lions in a really good game. Derek is awesome!!

I planted some snapdragons to make Baby happy. She loves snapdragons, but you have to plant them in the fall and I always forget. So, yesterday when I was at the Afsa I remembered and bought some and planted them this afternoon.

I made a new recipe for dinner. Chicken tortilla soup, which turned out yummy.

I didn't know snapdragons should be planted in the fall.

Do you just plant seeds? We have snapdragons we got as nursery starts this year and I've been meaning to go see of there are seeds I could harvest and plant. Growing flowers is not something I have much experience with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Anyway, what was your favorite meal as a child?

Macaroni and tomatoes.  (Macaroni, a lot of butter, and canned tomatoes)  My grammie used to can tomatoes for me.  I ate a lot of them -- nearly a pint a day in the summer when I was home from school.

My sister and I used to eat pasta every day for lunch during the summers.  We would time lunch around The Price is Right.  We knew exactly when to start boiling the water, adding the pasta, and then draining it according to how far into the show we were.  We would time things perfectly so that we would sit down on the sofa with lunch and eat during the Showcase Showdown.

It was a fabulous and predictable way to eat lunch together every day.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, maize said:

I didn't know snapdragons should be planted in the fall.

Do you just plant seeds? We have snapdragons we got as nursery starts this year and I've been meaning to go see of there are seeds I could harvest and plant. Growing flowers is not something I have much experience with.

No, I bought 4-packs from the Afsa. I don’t know anything about snapdragons, really. I just asked my mom and she said they have to be planted in the fall. So, that’s what I did. 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Things have been really really crappy this year. And no end in sight. In addition, every thing in my house appears to be breaking at the same time. Our new range which I finally paid off has a faulty sensor. Our dishwasher broke last week. Tonight our dryer appears to be dead. I am going to try taking it apart tomorrow. 

Ugh I am sorry!

Used dryers are usually inexpensive if you look on Craigslist or other local classified listings. They usually last a lot longer than washers and people sell them when they get a new set.

In case you are unable to fix it. 

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Matt and I started Ephesians this morning.

It's John's birthday and he doesn't want to do school. Angi asked if I still do all of my housework on Sundays and made me realize I miss doing it all in one day so I think I might do it today, and see if I want to do Mondays.

Chipotle chicken burrito bowls tonight.

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I know. I know. But sometimes I stumble across reviews of stuff that really intrigues me or a thread that puts a new spin on how to teach something more effectively or from a different angle than I would've thought of on my own. I'm not posting or anything. Treading water isn't really the same as swimming.

Yes, I love the hive. Paradox's thread should not have gone the way it did. This place is so much more hostile than it used to be, which I believe is why this thread exists, but man is it a treasure trove! It's saved me much time and money, and our family has benefited greatly from it.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

Matt and I started Ephesians this morning.

It's John's birthday and he doesn't want to do school. Angi asked if I still do all of my housework on Sundays and made me realize I miss doing it all in one day so I think I might do it today, and see if I want to do Mondays.

Chipotle chicken burrito bowls tonight.

Yes, I love the hive. Paradox's thread should not have gone the way it did. This place is so much more hostile than it used to be, which I believe is why this thread exists, but man is it a treasure trove! It's saved me much time and money, and our family has benefited greatly from it.

My oldest always insisted on "no-school" birthdays.  I wouldn't be surprised if he continues that policy in college, lol.

With apologies to Paradox, I think there's been good discussion on the thread even if it did veer away from her original topic.  But hey, who's surprised by that?  🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

My oldest always insisted on "no-school" birthdays.  I wouldn't be surprised if he continues that policy in college, lol.

With apologies to Paradox, I think there's been good discussion on the thread even if it did veer away from her original topic.  But hey, who's surprised by that?  🤣

I like the threads that veer off topic, that's how the best discussions happen 🙂

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

We do no school birthdays for the birthday child and anyone who is actively participating with the birthday child.  If the birthday child wants to play video games or Legos or whatever with a sibling, that sibling has off school for the period of time that they are playing with the birthday child.

We also take off for my birthday.  And everyone gets off for my birthday as long as they leave.me.alone.  And they might get assignments to do if they refuse to leave.me.alone.  Just because. 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2