Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I was thinking they had a list like that.  Then I thought it was age 12.  Then I thought I was confusing it with Charlotte Mason.  Then I decided that my memory was untrustworthy.  😂

Charlotte Mason is to age 6 and includes things like learning trees, poetry, and ...stuff I forget.

TTT's list, if I remember (I still haven't taken it off the shelf), includes things like knowing math facts.

• Like 1

My response to the TTT review:
Greek over Latin, yes. Because the Bible is in Greek and that's more important.
Beginning Latin before Greek, no. I want time to build up New Testament vocabulary.
Hebrew, yes. We will be doing a minor study for deeper biblical understanding in the late logic stage.
Gentle early, yes. We did intensive phonics, copywork, math facts and read out loud. Lots of drawing and nature study. We started formal math at 8 though, not 10.
"These years are spent memorizing and absorbing facts in preparation for the dialectic or logic stage that’s fast approaching." Yes, but I pulled memory work from context. Apologia, songs of I interest, etc. I have 2 exceptions. 10 Greek words per week and geography. We have cards for every country photo to name, name to photo, capital to country, country to capital and flag to name. I was never going to do THAT in context.
I'm not going to comment on the rest because I haven't been there yet.

9 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Antimatter salad. 

This is what we've been calling it now.

• Like 2

I have three tweens and a teen in my classroom right now.  Three of them are making slime, one is watching weird songs on youtube.   I gave them supplies - glue, starch, water colors, shaving cream, oorbeez, cups and sticks to stir and I'm leaving them to it.  I think I don't want to even look in there until I'm ready to make them clean up.   So I'm sitting at my desk in the lobby eating doritos and reading.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Our library system has 3 different editions so I chose the newest one on the list which says fourth edition.

Good. The first one had a lot of how to and the second and third upgraded the curriculum recommendations without the how to. The fourth one has the how to and new curriculum recommendations. I've read the first, own and have read the fourth twice and have been told not to bother with the second and third. Remember this, there will be a quiz.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

It's been a while.  But I think it is just that I like the original one best of all, anyway.  But I also like the simpler version with fewer curriculum options, since there were fewer back then.  Also, I like the older curriculum which is still available, more than the newer, for the most part.  

Okay. I do not have a preference for versions, but I definitely have to agree with everything else you said.

• Haha 1

I had the 3rd and have replaced it with the 4th, but I should ILL the 1st sometime. Not that I follow any edition closely: the kid I'm teaching trumps all of other people's wisdom (in parenting as well as homeschooling), so I just use what I can. And I think that's what was intended.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

We're watching Magic School Bus Rides Again (because except for candy, my kids don't care about Halloween), and I'm going to make potato soup and biscuits for dinner because it's cold and drizzly out. We did read some Halloween picture books, but apparently we like more fall themed ones than Halloween ones.

Homemade potato soup and biscuits!!  What time did you say to be there?  🤩

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

MedPo: 

What's the best and fastest working diaper rash cream? Desitin extra strength (which never failed for Oldest back in the day) isn't cutting it for Youngest who rarely rashes. This rash is nothing terrible but it sure is persistent and I want it gone.

The best thing I ever used for the hot, red type bottom is liquid antacid like mylanta poured over their bottom, wait a 1/2 minute or so for it to dry a little, and then smother in diaper ointment.  The antacid is the key, not a specific brand or type of ointment.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

MedPo: 

What's the best and fastest working diaper rash cream? Desitin extra strength (which never failed for Oldest back in the day) isn't cutting it for Youngest who rarely rashes. This rash is nothing terrible but it sure is persistent and I want it gone.

Lanosil wipes. I might have the spelling wrong. Maize swears by it but I've never needed them.

1 minute ago, myblessings4 said:

That wasn't why I was looking for him.

Because I agreed with you?

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Adam is paid off in 2200 days.

It feels so long when you are at the front end of a loan.

We're about five months from having our van paid off. I can't wait!

Just hoping dh's 10 year old Civic holds up for at least another five years or so. I hate having a car payment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That wasn't Svengo.  I was just showing you my Halloween costume. 

Four of my kids are ninjas. Three in cheap ninja costumes, one with a camel head mask 🐪 no I don't know why. Dd16 put on her dojo hoodie and said she is going as a real ninja.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Something with a high zinc content. I have A&D for Captain. Never fails. My sister had one who got the World's Worst Diaper Rash. She was given a recipe to mix diaper cream, Monistat, and a few other things to kill that sucker! Oh, and told to stop cloth diapering. She did all that and it cleared up.

I was told to stop cloth diapering, but didn't because of allergies. The worst rash I ever saw was when Gymnast reacted to oranges. Terrible! I don't remember how we finally got rid of it, but it wasn't by stopping cloth.

2 hours ago, maize said:

It feels so long when you are at the front end of a loan.

We're about five months from having our van paid off. I can't wait!

Just hoping dh's 10 year old Civic holds up for at least another five years or so. I hate having a car payment.

Save money each month for car replacement, then pay cash for the car you want when the Civic gives out. No car payment needed. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Renai said:

I was told to stop cloth diapering, but didn't because of allergies. The worst rash I ever saw was when Gymnast reacted to oranges. Terrible! I don't remember how we finally got rid of it, but it wasn't by stopping cloth  

Ds had the worst eczema in the diaper area. The absolute worst reaction as a baby was when he ate puréed spinach. He was writhing in pain. It was so horrible. He was the only kid told by his mom “don’t eat your spinach!”  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Back from Fall Family Fun Night. I did my volunteer duty at the bounce house for 1.5 hours. It was fine. Then I had a tri-tip sandwich with sautéed onions and peppers. It was sooooo good. And nachos of course. DH and I just sat at a table and talked while the kids ran around. Now we’re home and I got a chill, so I put my fuzzy jammies on and crawled in bed.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Renai said:

Save money each month for car replacement, then pay cash for the car you want when the Civic gives out. No car payment needed. 

That’s what we do. Dave Ramsay says to make a car payment to yourself, so when we paid off the Sienna we just kept making the same payment and putting it in the savings account. We were able to pay cash for DH’s Corolla that way and we are now about 2/3 of the way to a replacement for the Sienna. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I seem to remember the really bad weepy diaper rashes being yeast infections.  Someone recommended applying yogurt, but I can't remember if I ever did that.

Dd21 got a rash/eczema on the back of her neck from citrus when she was little.  It took quite a while for us to figure that one out.

We are doing some really nice music for our next concert.  A piano concerto by Clara Schumann and Florence Price's 4th Symphony (written in 1945, but was recently discovered in a pile of manuscripts in her former summer home that was about to be gutted and renovated).  Imma have to practice that one.

Good night!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Kids had fun trick or treating with friends last night.  There was a group of 6 of them that went out.  Ds was really happy to finally get to T or T with friends since they never got to before.  I was happy because it meant I got to just hang out at the science center.   

ds did then talk about how he wishes he had more IRL friends.  He likes the kids he went with last night but he doesn't see some of them that often.   Yet, he's not willing to actually leave the house to do things to make friends, or actually talk to people when we do go out.  We're going today to an arcade to meet up with some tween/teens and a couple of them he knows from one of the 4-H clubs.  He was saying they aren't friends but how are they going to become friends if he doesn't talk to them and give it a chance?   He doesn't seem to make the connection.  As an aspie, this is all really hard for him and I feel bad and don't really know how to help except by giving him opportunities to see his friends and be around other people.  

• Like 4