Menu

Ignore this thread!

My dishwasher died. 

It is old enough that I figured it is time for a new dishwasher rather than shelling out to get it fixed and then likely having it break again in a few months.

So I went to Lowes this morning and picked out a new dishwasher; it was on sale and they also gave me free installation so I'm feeling happy. I did spring for the extended warranty because our appliances get much heavier than average usage; I used the extended warranty service twice on my old dishwasher.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Maize congrats on the new dishwasher. Ours is good only for rinsing and sterilizing. Which one did you choose?

It's the entry level Bosch.

Our old one was a Frigidaire, it did a good job cleaning the dishes but reliability was poor.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Good morning all. Youngest decided that sleep is overrated so I'm up drinking coffee while he plays. He's already ate breakfast and is now on a mission to make the biggest toy mess possible. I'm just hoping he doesn't wake the rest of the house.

No one answered your TTT question. Are you getting the book?

• Like 2

I don't TTT or ILL so I can't help.  

Set my alarm for my 6:30am wake-up time again today.  It wasn't too bad but it was very very dark.  Dh had already left for work.   I'm trying to decide if I want to stop at AFSA before heading to the science center.  I could use some things for today.  We're having a Halloween Party during teen hangout.   I have stuff already to make slime, magic snow, black light stuff, play games, watch movies, etc.   I was thinking of getting some pumpkins to do the elephant toothpaste through the carving but now that I think about it, I'm not sure I have enough hydrogen peroxide and that would take going to a beauty supply and I don't have time for that.    I also used up the last of my baking soda yesterday and don't have much corn starch left.   I only have two days of classes left before a week off so they could wait until I get to BJs for the bigger, cheaper options.  

Realistically, it's primarily dd that will want to play around with everything.  She loves making random concoctions and I already have plates of them stacked around the kitchen at the science center.   She might have to be happy with slime. 

• Like 3

Three classes today than the Halloween party.  It's supposed to rain but there should be a lull right around the end of the party so we're going to let the kids go trick or treat in a neighborhood by the science center if they want to.  They are 12 to 15 years old so I think we'll let them go alone, as long as they stay together.   Since it's supposed to be yucky weather, I feel better having them go while it's still light out.  In the dark and the rain, it's too easy for drivers to not see them.  

• Like 3

Okay, I just swipped 4 rolls of toilet paper from our back-up stash here at home since that was the other thing I needed from AFSA for the science center.  I also grabbed two bags of microwave popcorn, and I already have fruit snacks and pretzels at the science center.  Plus a water cooler.   And everyone is supposed to bring a snack to share.  So I think I'm all set and can skip the stop this morning.  Whoo Hoo.

• Like 4

Good morning!  Happy Reformation Day!  A Blessed All Hallows Eve!  Happy Halloween!

Congratulations or condolences on Sportsball!

Dd10 is nearly giddy over the forecast which declares the rain will be gone by noon.  She is going to be a black cat with a masquerade mask, dd13 is a chicken, ds14 is The Joker, and I can't remember what dd16 said she was going as.  It has been years since I have had anything but the most basic involvement (driving the kids to the dollar store) in making Halloween costumes.  Dd21 has always loved making costumes, so she really took it in hand and the rest of the kids have followed suit.  Yesterday's pumpkin carving was fairly easy, too.  The kids drew their own designs on paper and took it from there - I just helped get the tops off.

Coffee!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I know.  I feel bad about that.  I read TTT a LONG time ago.  And also got rid of it a LONG time ago.  I've been racking my brain for something helpful, but I've got nothing.  

10 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Same here.  

I guess it wasn't life changing.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!

And All Hallow’s Eve!!! And Reformation Day!!!

I wish I had the energy to feel excited and maybe do something about these holidays. I’m just pretty exhausted. The learning curve for work is steep and it’s taking me hours to do things it should take me not quite hours to do.

DH got home about 11:00 last night. He had a good trip. No more traveling, hopefully, till next year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't decided whether or not to order the book. Maybe I'll check the library first. I only stumbled across the book while on Amazon checking out WTM.

Sorry, I don't know what ILLing even means.

Now that I have a better idea of what classical really means (not just a chronological sequence) I don't know if it's the best approach for our family. I stink at languages so I cannot imagine attempting Latin and Greek but I do teach prefixes as they come up in math, spelling, ect. And writing is another major struggle here. Oldest absolutely hates it in any form and I feel completely inadequate. Also, Science and History/Social Studies don't seem to be a part if this classical method if I'm understanding correctly but my state requires them.

So we're sticking with what we have (for this year anyway) while I research like a mad woman between now and next year.

If you ask 100 people how to provide a classical education you will get 113 answers. Don't think that because I said that I do Greek that it's an essential part of a classical education. It's not.

Interlibrary Loan. Check it out.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

ILL is Interlibrary Loan. TTT vs WTM

See, now I thought ILL was another program like TTT and WTM.  I DO ILL.  Mainly because I have no choice.  My town doesn't have it's own library so I have to go to our county  branch to check out books.   But I can order from throughout the entire system, so I place an order through ILL and then just go and pick them up.

I do think I can get a library card from the library in the town where the science center is.  I just have to find time to stop by with a utility bill or something.   I usually have time on the weekends when I'm here cleaning, but that means I'm dressed in sweats or pj pants, no bra, and very very grungy looking.  I figure I should look a little better than that if I want to convince them to give me a card.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't decided whether or not to order the book. Maybe I'll check the library first. I only stumbled across the book while on Amazon checking out WTM.

Sorry, I don't know what ILLing even means.

Now that I have a better idea of what classical really means (not just a chronological sequence) I don't know if it's the best approach for our family. I stink at languages so I cannot imagine attempting Latin and Greek but I do teach prefixes as they come up in math, spelling, ect. And writing is another major struggle here. Oldest absolutely hates it in any form and I feel completely inadequate. Also, Science and History/Social Studies don't seem to be a part if this classical method if I'm understanding correctly but my state requires them.

So we're sticking with what we have (for this year anyway) while I research like a mad woman between now and next year.

edpo/

History and science are definitely part of it.  In fact, depending on how you go about implementing, history can take over.  Libraries are more likely to carry WTM than TTT, so you might start with WTM to see if it's something that resonates with you.  Also you don't have to read the whole thing - start with the grammar stage section.  And if you do decide to read it, please do not try to implement everything.  It's too much, imho.  As far as languages go, I think TTT is big on Latin and Greek.  And maybe they are the ones who say that it can take generations to do it.  In other words, maybe all you are capable of teaching and co-learning is Latin.  But maybe your kids are then better prepared to teach Greek to their kids.  I'm not great at languages either.  All I had in school was 2 years of Latin, and those two years probably didn't get me through as much content as many first year programs.  I have introduced almost everyone here to Latin, but only one ended up doing more than that so far.    

I don't remember how old your oldest is....  oral narration to written narration is one way to gradually slide into writing skills.  Some kids benefit from more scaffolding and some from less.....  

I used to think in terms of content subjects and skill subjects - some of my kids got a lot of content early on, but lighter skills (and skills came later).  Some of my kids got more skill work and less content work (still can't believe one of my brightest kids doesn't like history, lol.)  And some got a better balance.  My hind-sight is that I love how much content my content-heavy kid got and wish I had done more of them that way.  Skills can come along more slowly as long as you're consistent, imho.  

SWB's Rethinking School is a good read also.  

edpo and crazy rambling warning over/

• Like 1

Morning.

I completed all my revisions yesterday afternoon, and have started on my reading of both manuscripts today. This is when I'm glad I read fast.  But they are both engaging stories, so I ought to enjoy the day.

Other than that, NaNo starts tomorrow. Finally, I can set some limits on how long I get to write per day. I've been putting in overtime to get these stories done, and I'm about ready for a little sanity, and some actual craft exercises and some reading time. I might be the only writer in the world who thinks NaNo is "vacation" time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My own education philosophy is basically whatever works. I would like to learn Greek. One day, when I have the time and the money, I probably will. Same with French. I do what I can, and enjoy it. May never result in any kind of fluency, but I don't have that as one of my goals. I'm also a proponent of providing a lot of free time for self-education, reading, painting, gardening, kayaking, exploring...

Kind of not sure where I fall on the spectrum with Classical Education. Probably somewhere in the boonies.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Slache said:

No one answered your TTT question. Are you getting the book?

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I know.  I feel bad about that.  I read TTT a LONG time ago.  And also got rid of it a LONG time ago.  I've been racking my brain for something helpful, but I've got nothing.  

28 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ah! ILL makes sense now and yes it's available here but I have yet to find any truely useful books for our homeschool through it aside from just supplemental reading and such. We usually just end up buying whatever I'm looking for because our library system rarely has it. I'll check to see if either book is available and if not, maybe order one or the other used on Amazon.

Oooh, I should go back and read that post. I was skimming threads when I came across it. I still have the book on my shelf from when I read it long ago. I remember liking some of it...I don't remember what. I think there was some kind of list about what they should before age 10, I think...

I'll pull it off my shelf and skim it again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Renai said:

Oooh, I should go back and read that post. I was skimming threads when I came across it. I still have the book on my shelf from when I read it long ago. I remember liking some of it...I don't remember what. I think there was some kind of list about what they should before age 10, I think...

I'll pull it off my shelf and skim it again.

I was thinking they had a list like that.  Then I thought it was age 12.  Then I thought I was confusing it with Charlotte Mason.  Then I decided that my memory was untrustworthy.  😂