Menu

Ignore this thread!

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

Why do you keep saying cow? Is this regional? I say ground beef.

This somehow reminds me of how I'm always correcting my Chinese students who think that anything in a bun is called a burger: chicken in a bun, it's burger, etc. I keep telling them that "burger" is beef. Chicken in a bun? Sandwich. Sheesh. The company finally made it part of a lesson...

• Like 3

Boxed macaroni & cheese is the one thing I make.  My kids say I make it better than dh.   I basically do the butter and eyeball the milk, and it tends to be somewhat liquidy which dilutes the fake cheese taste.   I think.  I don't really know, just that if they want mac & cheese, I have to make it.

• Like 2

Happy Tuesday, y'all.

I just came across the Official Family Motto of one branch of my family, and it can be loosely translated as "Ima do my thing." It's the us-est thing ever, completely on brand. 😄 I had no idea it was official.

Kitty is very happy that my dad has left and is curled up on the couch beside me. Hate to break it to ya, Fuzzy, but the ILs arrive in two weeks, and then he'll be back in two more. Not to mention that your Hero fully intends to open the front door to strangers multiple times Thursday night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

My kids adore boxed mac & cheese.  They rarely get it.

Yes.  Substitute often for rarely.

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Boxed macaroni & cheese is the one thing I make.  My kids say I make it better than dh.   I basically do the butter and eyeball the milk, and it tends to be somewhat liquidy which dilutes the fake cheese taste.   I think.  I don't really know, just that if they want mac & cheese, I have to make it.

I completely ditch the butter and milk thing and just mix the cheese powder with a few ounces of evaporated milk.  (One small can for 2 boxes.)  It's much easier.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I really don’t buy the box kind. It has been years. But he is in the I will live on air stage so if he will eat it, I will buy it.

And I think I may have found an alternative to BJU and T4L. We will see. It is rather ironic that it is what I started with. Hmm... is there a greater cosmic meaning here? The Circle of Homeschool  Life? 
Anyway— it still has to be put to the kid test.

Calvert?

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Dinner was ruined. Smelled terrible, too. Really, my cooking skills are just tanking this week!

I made spaghetti with meat sauce and I set the smoke alarm off but I've never done that in this apartment so I couldn't figure out how to turn it off so I put it in my nightstand drawer. It's off now.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I'll have coffee when I get to work.  It's so cold and rainy.  

Today is dd's adoption anniversary!  Coming home day!  Whatever you want to call it.  Except gotcha day.  I never did like that name.  I can't believe that day was seventeen years ago!!!  So she will go hang with her bff while I'm working, then we will pick them both up and go eat supper out somewhere.   She hasn't decided where yet.

An old friend is adopting today! A baby boy.

• Like 5

Good Morning.  It's Humph day!

I felt better yesterday but sounded really really awful and lost my voice completely by the end of the day.  Still hoarse today but I think it's better than yesterday.   I haven't talked much since I'm the only one home and awake.  

I slept in a little bit again today.  Woke up a little at my usual time and rolled over and back to sleep.  Tomorrow (if I continue to feel better) I'll go back to 6:30 and attempt to get back to yoga.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

A lady at co op today recommended a tincture with blue cohosh to ease labor. Has anyone had any experience with it? I'm going to talk to my doctor at my next visit, too, bit figured I'd ask here while I wait.

My midwife had me stay away from all the cohoshes. Some women can tolerate them, but it can send others into overdrive. Both blue and black cohosh have been used to induce or augment labor, so I'm not sure how the woman at the coop thinks it will ease labor pain. Like I said, it has sent some women into labor overdrive, just basically really fast and really hard. It's one reason my midwife had me stay away from it, especially since I'd had a prior section (even though it was 11 years prior). I've read other bad experiences with it as well, with both the mom and baby.

I'd vote, no.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 4

Good morning!

It's rainy and stormy today - perfect spooky weather.  I will have to help the kids carving pumpkins today - dh usually does that, but it'll have to be me this year. Ds14 requested to make some Luther roses for Reformation Day, so I'll have to see if I can find the instructions for those.  We have our little Playmobile Martin Luther out on the buffet. :laugh:  Ds14 baked a cake yesterday and needs to decorate it to make it look like a cell for his biology class tomorrow.

Coffee!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Aaannnddd he's done! Wow, I thought that would take a bit longer than that, lol. He's still sleeping, but should be waking up soon. It's amazing how truly little six years old still is.

Bookie, my daughter had her tongue clipped at six also. She loved eating ice cream after!  

PS-  she needed a bit  of speech therapy when she was 7 because she had gotten used to not using her tongue the right way for some sounds. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Our car was stolen.

Towed! We found it! It's going to cost $219 to get it out. It was not supposed to be towed.

Oh no, Slashie. I am so sorry!!

7 hours ago, Junie said:

Actually, they were concerned about his heart.  He missed some time last month for a heart cath. 😞

Well, that’s not good. But behaving the way he did is certainly not good for the heart. I realize that was a controversial call, even after all the reviews, but it seems like Turner took it much better and the call was against him.

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I'll have coffee when I get to work.  It's so cold and rainy.  

Today is dd's adoption anniversary!  Coming home day!  Whatever you want to call it.  Except gotcha day.  I never did like that name.  I can't believe that day was seventeen years ago!!!  So she will go hang with her bff while I'm working, then we will pick them both up and go eat supper out somewhere.   She hasn't decided where yet.

I never liked the term “Gotcha Day”, either. It really rubs me the wrong way. We used to celebrate the day we finalized with each of the kids, not the day they came to live with us, but we don’t even do that anymore.

• Like 2

Morning. Final push to the end of the second novel today. Hit the End on the first one yesterday. If I can finish today, I'll have tomorrow for reading and smoothing out any wrinkles, and then I'm sending one novel to my new agent, and the other to Beta readers. 

Then kicking back for at least two weeks and drafting only. I really, really, really need a break from revising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Happy adoption day! ❤❤❤

(((Slache))) Keep us updated.

Renai, thanks for letting me know about the cohoshes. I did a little reading about the specific product she recommended, and I'm going to take a hard pass. There were warnings about birth defects, baby heart trouble, mama heart trouble...no thanks! I'll stick with my red raspberry leaf tea (doctor approved) and 6 dates a day. The dates thing is new, but it's supposed to help shorten labor and it's food (and no negatives that I can find aside from being high sugar dried fruit).

Jean, thank you for sharing your experiences with your daughter. Dave's on his way to the store for ice cream, and we're scheduling speech therapy lessons for after the new year. 😊

Home now, and tired. We had to be at the surgery place at 5:40, so I've been up since 4. The kids are watching a movie, so I think I'm going to lie down in the family room with them and rest a bit.

I ate dates during my last pregnancy. Don't think it helped, I'm apparently doomed to long labors. Didn't hurt me though and I like dates.

• Like 1

I did a chapter in teaching textbooks precalculus; we signed up for the large family plan that allows up to eight registered users so I signed myself up. I've always been a bit shaky with some parts of high school math, I'm generally good at figuring stuff out but I moved between countries and educational systems a few too many times and ended up with significant gaps.

• Like 3

When my kids were little we used to read a little "glad I gotcha day" book.  It wasn't great literature or anything but I thought that it was cute.  We did not link it to adoption specifically.  The book was written in a way that simply expressed appreciation for each other being in a family.  Even in my all-biologically-born-into-our-family family we are still glad that we got each other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Who had it towed?  If it was towed wrongly from your spot is there an appeal process where you can get your money back?  

There is a third party that tows if you are parked in a spot that you don't pay for. We pay for the spot, but the apartment is claiming that we never updated our license plate.

4 hours ago, maize said:

Oh no!

I hope you can contest it and get the money back. I am so sorry!

I don't think so.

41 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

(FYI, no need to take Slache's reprimands seriously.  😜)

Hey!

• Haha 2