Menu

Ignore this thread!

I had someone mistake me for the mother of my little sister when I was 13 and she was 5. I did look older than my age--people frequently assumed I was older than the brother two years older than me and often mistook me for a college student when I was a young teen.

Still... we were only eight years apart...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Next topic: What's the deal with all the lentils? 3 different meals all with lentils! Is this another tradition I've never heard of like tamales in Texas at Christmas? I have lentils and enjoy them often enough but what am I missing here?

No one in my house likes lentils.

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I have never had lentils.

One of my fall recipes is vegetarian shepherd's pie, which contains lentils, along with quinoa and something else.  Barley?  The flavor of it is really quite good, but next time I'll just use the barley and quinoa.

3 hours ago, Junie said:

I have never eaten lentils on purpose.

This would be me, except for the above recipe.  I also avoid lima and kidney beans.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. 3 confused emojis means Lucy has some splainin to do:

I don't usually get mistaken as a grandma if Oldest is with us but if it's just me and the baby, complete strangers have occasionally commented on how adorable my grandbaby is. I can't get too upset because Youngest was quite the surprise later in life (and no, I'm not giving you a number) so it is a reasonable possibility for most. I just don't like that people make such assumptions.

We are in the same boat.

I'm in the "menopause + 5 kids 12 and under" group.  Menopause = gray hair and BAM.  All the assumptions.  Dh is 14 years older than me so he's had comments ever since our oldest was born. 

And older parents are so common now!   I just can't understand voicing a "guess" that, if wrong, makes for an awkward situation. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

We are in the same boat.

I'm in the "menopause + 5 kids 12 and under" group.  Menopause = gray hair and BAM.  All the assumptions.  Dh is 14 years older than me so he's had comments ever since our oldest was born. 

And older parents are so common now!   I just can't understand voicing a "guess" that, if wrong, makes for an awkward situation. 

You didn't get gray hair until menopause?

What am I doing wrong?

I'm almost totally gray in front though I still have a lot of dark hair in back. My mom was the same at my age--and was more than a decade away from menopause (she actually got pregnant at age 50, though that pregnancy ended in miscarriage; my grandma got pregnant at 55 and also miscarried; her youngest child was probably late twenties at the time and the pregnancy came as a total shock).

My mother in law in her sixties had almost no gray hair, I think she may have started dying her hair when it finally started graying in her seventies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, maize said:

My sister had the opposite problem--she was a high school teacher with a master's degree and other school faculty would ask to see her hall pass assuming she was a student.

I was asked out by a student when I was student teaching at a high school. I told him that I was a teacher and he said “that’s ok”. This was pre Mary K Letourneau. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning!

It's s normal Tuesday here.  I am making progress on my embroidery sampler project.  I think I need some audio books to listen to while I work on it.  I normally hate audio books because I have a hard time with listening focus, but I might improve with extra practice. :laugh:

Coffee!

• Like 5

Morning.  I'm feeling better today.  Slept much better and set my alarm for an hour later since I can't do yoga because I can't breathe that well while congested.   Still not 100% but much much better.   Haven't even taken any medicine.    Three classes and one tutoring session today so not a super long day.

• Like 5

I do a weekly calendar for my local homeschool group on Facebook.    A nice table with activities in a certain format.  AFTER I did this week's, someone asked me to add some activities.  I told them to get them to me by Saturday and I can put them in but she had a couple Halloween activities she wanted on there.   I told her send them to me in the format of the calendar - time, title/description, location.  and I would add them.   She sent me a picture of their flyer where I'd have to pull the information off.   Sorry, not doing it.  I don't have time to track down information on all the activities.  I already tell people that if they want things on there, make an event.  I check the events.   I may or may not scroll through posts but it's a very active group and moves fast.  

• Like 3

Here's my edpo:

My kids are getting another week off of school, except maybe some of my classes.   Ds is now sick and I was feeling crappy over the weekend so didn't set it up.   I might do some tonight for the rest of the week but ds REALLY (aspie) likes when he does a full lesson of math in one week and REALLY resists having it go over a weekend.  And that takes 5 days.   

But I'm off next week so can do some forward planning and have everything ready for the rest of the (calendar) year so it's easier each weekend to set up.   My index card idea is working well but I think instead of having them by subject I'm going to bundle a week at a time.  IT will still be easy to swap things around if I need to but will go quicker if I don't need to.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

School & Work!!!

DH leaves for Kansas City (don’t know if it’s Missouri or Kansas.) this morning, comes back late tomorrow night.

Had a very good talk with my GP yesterday. I had a whole list of things I needed to talk to her about. She’s awesome. Very holistic, which I never thought was important to me, but apparently it is. I’m firing my GYN and she’s taking over the job and I found out that there are less invasive alternatives to a colonoscopy which completely made my day. So, it’s all good.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, maize said:

Good morning!

Welcome to January-in-October.

Predicted high/low for the day: 28°/10°

We are having a cool-off here, too, but not like that. Ours is going from the mid to upper 80’s during the day to 70/39, which is pretty much perfect.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!!!

School & Work!!!

DH leaves for Kansas City (don’t know if it’s Missouri or Kansas.) this morning, comes back late tomorrow night.

Had a very good talk with my GP yesterday. I had a whole list of things I needed to talk to her about. She’s awesome. Very holistic, which I never thought was important to me, but apparently it is. I’m firing my GYN and she’s taking over the job and I found out that there are less invasive alternatives to a colonoscopy which completely made my day. So, it’s all good.

Please tell.  I"m hitting "that age" this year and have an appointment for a physical in a couple weeks and I'm sure this is going to come up.

Edited by Where's Toto?
Seriously?! A colonoscopy booya?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Please tell.  I"m hitting "that age" this year and have an appointment for a physical in a couple weeks and I'm sure this is going to come up.

The simplest is the poop-smear test. The middle is that new one they’ve been advertising.... she said it’s good, they not only check for blood,  but they check DNA. She said it does find even polyps. And then there’s the colonoscopy. She said since I am relatively young and have no symptoms or family history, then the first level is fine for now. 

But see, my doctor is different than all the rest in the medical-industrial complex. She runs her own office, is not part of any big conglomerate. She is smart and sits and listens to you. She’s this gorgeous, petite thing and she comes in, pulls up a chair and sits cross-legged in it while she looks at you and listens to your concerns and how you want to manage your health care.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/25/2019 at 5:40 PM, Paradox5 said:

Dinner disaster night round 3: I tried not using Velvetta cheese in the mac n cheese. It came out sour, gritty, and inedible.

You have to make kind of a roue first and add the cheese to it. It comes out nice. I use Pioneer Woman's old recipe from before she became the famous Pioneer Woman.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, maize said:

You didn't get gray hair until menopause?

What am I doing wrong?

I'm almost totally gray in front though I still have a lot of dark hair in back. My mom was the same at my age--and was more than a decade away from menopause (she actually got pregnant at age 50, though that pregnancy ended in miscarriage; my grandma got pregnant at 55 and also miscarried; her youngest child was probably late twenties at the time and the pregnancy came as a total shock).

My mother in law in her sixties had almost no gray hair, I think she may have started dying her hair when it finally started graying in her seventies.

LOL -- I guess it's all genes then.  I had slight graying before menopause, but nothing anyone could notice.   After menopause? Gray.  To the point where it was the first thing mentioned by an acquaintance I hadn't seen in a long time.  (A tip: don't let the first words out of your mouth be "Hi So-and-so!  You're Gray!!!!")

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Unless I am just drying hands I cannot figure out how I would dry my entire body without taking the towel off the rack. Even when my kids were little. I mean just to dry our back we sort of wrap it around us to dry and shimmy. 

The whole conversation started because Alex learned how to wash his hands. My kids don't always hang their towels up after showers, but they don't take towels down to wash their hands so it's not an issue.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Yep- did that. Still came out gross.

Here's our fave Mac-n-cheese recipe (the kids love it).   The nutmeg/cayenne gives it just a bit of a kick.  The only change I make is to add crumbled Ritz crackers on top, then drizzle on a little melted butter and bake it about 5 minutes to brown the topping. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/macaroni-and-cheddar-cheese-recipe-2131153#reviewsTop

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have never had macaroni and cheese that wasn't from a box.

Try the above.  My kids love it with a side of peas and bacon (Brown chopped bacon, about 4-6 slices, for a couple minutes, then throw a chopped onion in the pot and sauce it in the grease.  When onion is tender, toss in a frozen bag of peas.  Cook until bright green and tender.  Season with salt and pepper.)  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have never had macaroni and cheese that wasn't from a box.

My kids adore boxed mac & cheese.  They rarely get it.

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

It is more expensive to make 'fresh' but tastes better.

Yep.

When I make it, melt the butter and mix in flour, then stir in milk until it thickens.  Add cheeses, nutmeg, salt, pepper.  Stir.  Mix in cooked pasta and eat.  I never bake it, though that would add an extra layer of deliciousness.

• Like 2