Menu

Ignore this thread!

24 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Good morning all! Thankyou (((Slachie))) for swimming with me. I didn't think an EdPo was the way to go on that one. 

If you stick with us know that I'll post outside of this thread but also link it. I've been in this thread for 4 (?) years and as a consequence I value these ladies opinions more than many on the board because I know them. I know their philosophy and where they're coming from. Many feel and teach very differently than I do, but I can take what they say in context and that's very valuable.

They also know my kids and sometimes one will say something that is completely not where I was coming from but totally on point. It's more helpful because they get my kids and they get me.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

If you stick with us know that I'll post outside of this thread but also link it. I've been in this thread for 4 (?) years and as a consequence I value these ladies opinions more than many on the board because I know them. I know their philosophy and where they're coming from. Many feel and teach very differently than I do, but I can take what they say in context and that's very valuable.

They also know my kids and sometimes one will say something that is completely not where I was coming from but totally on point. It's more helpful because they get my kids and they get me.

❤️❤️❤️

• Like 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Sigh.  Monday.  (((Toto))) Sorry you have such a bad start to your week!

It's a normal Monday here with music lessons and children's choir and scouts.  Ds14 and dd13 have a Halloween party at Scouts tonight and are wearing their costumes (dd13 is a chicken and ds14 The Joker), and they need to bring stuff, and there's a literature discussion at church on Frankenstein that dd16 wants to go to.

Dh really wants to take the family to the Grand Canyon.  I don't think I can convince him to go over Christmas instead of going to his parents' house.  I am a bad person.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

I have another headache. 😞 

Also, I think my second kidney stone is moving.  Hopefully this will be as much of a non-event as the one a few weeks ago.

And, while I'm complaining, my RA was acting up quite a bit yesterday.

Ok, I'm done now.  😉

Hopefully the day (and week) will get better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Monday!!!!😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

School and work today. So many deadlines for work this week and I am so slow. I have to keep reminding myself that any first year at a new teaching job is a living nightmare. Yesterday I worked all afternoon on a thing that should have taken me about 10 minutes and next time I think it will.

It’s the last week of October. Trees are finally starting to turn color.

• Like 4

Good morning!

Dd16 is frantically searching for shoes so she can get to her religious education class. She knows she has shoes out in the van because she didn't bring them in when we got home from the tournament trip yesterday but she'd rather go shoe hunting in the house because it is warm in here and it is truly freezing outside.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Morning. I revised all of yesterday, and plan to revise all of today. But I'm on track to have all my revisions done by Wednesday. Not bad. Not bad at all, taking two different novels, both over 140K and getting them both in the 125K zone. 

I told the boys they have the day off today. They were whining about no days off since September (they had a 7 day vacation then) and no days off until Thanksgiving. Today is really the only nice day in the week. Raining and cold the rest of the time. So we are going to take the boats out for a late lake trip. Well, they are. I'm sitting on the shore at a picnic table with the laptop in a tent and revising until my fingers fall off. I'm not sure I have cell signal out there either. Could be a really productive day. 

I was born in Texas but didn't live there ever. Been in Arkansas or Tennessee for all of my life. No desire to move anywhere, except when it's 1,000 degrees, the air is a soup of bugs, and there's no end of summer in sight. Then I'm ready to move to Canada and never come back. 

As to my stage in life, I'm in the stage where I'm about ready to trade the pitcher of iced tea and plate of cookies in for a broom and a get-of-my-lawn sign, but no hot flashes yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. I revised all of yesterday, and plan to revise all of today. But I'm on track to have all my revisions done by Wednesday. Not bad. Not bad at all, taking two different novels, both over 140K and getting them both in the 125K zone. 

I told the boys they have the day off today. They were whining about no days off since September (they had a 7 day vacation then) and no days off until Thanksgiving. Today is really the only nice day in the week. Raining and cold the rest of the time. So we are going to take the boats out for a late lake trip. Well, they are. I'm sitting on the shore at a picnic table with the laptop in a tent and revising until my fingers fall off. I'm not sure I have cell signal out there either. Could be a really productive day. 

I was born in Texas but didn't live there ever. Been in Arkansas or Tennessee for all of my life. No desire to move anywhere, except when it's 1,000 degrees, the air is a soup of bugs, and there's no end of summer in sight. Then I'm ready to move to Canada and never come back. 

As to my stage in life, I'm in the stage where I'm about ready to trade the pitcher of iced tea and plate of cookies in for a broom and a get-of-my-lawn sign, but no hot flashes yet.

Same here; well stated!

• Like 2

I have the second load of laundry in, dishwasher running, second breakfast eaten, assisted with Halloween costumes, helped with ds's Am. Lit. class (why, please tell me why a teacher who has been teaching this class for 10+ years CANNOT get her act together?  She handed out a syllabus and reading list at the beginning of the semester, but I don't think she's ever read it.  She is continually changing her requirements for handing in assignments. And she doesn't seem understand that a particular edition of Poe short stories that contains The Fall of the House of Usher, will not necessarily include The Black Cat or The Tell-Tale Heart.  Fortunately we can print them out online.  Have I been complaining about her all semester?  I probably have.)

What should be for lunch?  I think the kids will request ramen.

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I have the second load of laundry in, dishwasher running, second breakfast eaten, assisted with Halloween costumes, helped with ds's Am. Lit. class (why, please tell me why a teacher who has been teaching this class for 10+ years CANNOT get her act together?  She handed out a syllabus and reading list at the beginning of the semester, but I don't think she's ever read it.  She is continually changing her requirements for handing in assignments. And she doesn't seem understand that a particular edition of Poe short stories that contains The Fall of the House of Usher, will not necessarily include The Black Cat or The Tell-Tale Heart.  Fortunately we can print them out online.  Have I been complaining about her all semester?  I probably have.)

What should be for lunch?  I think the kids will request ramen.

That is super frustrating and worth complaining about.  Sounds like the ENB needs to pay her a visit!

ETA:  It's a "Call Out the ENB BOOYAH!!!"

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. 3 confused emojis means Lucy has some splainin to do:

I don't usually get mistaken as a grandma if Oldest is with us but if it's just me and the baby, complete strangers have occasionally commented on how adorable my grandbaby is. I can't get too upset because Youngest was quite the surprise later in life (and no, I'm not giving you a number) so it is a reasonable possibility for most. I just don't like that people make such assumptions.

No. The baby. Your baby. What a sweetie. Not grandbaby. If you say baby and they correct you to grandbaby then so be it. Don't say grandbaby. Just no.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't usually get mistaken as a grandma if Oldest is with us but if it's just me and the baby, complete strangers have occasionally commented on how adorable my grandbaby is. I can't get too upset because Youngest was quite the surprise later in life (and no, I'm not giving you a number) so it is a reasonable possibility for most. I just don't like that people make such assumptions.

I was confused for my oldest's grandma starting from when he was 13.  I decided to just settle for being the "cool grandma". 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Next topic: What's the deal with all the lentils? 3 different meals all with lentils! Is this another tradition I've never heard of like tamales in Texas at Christmas? I have lentils and enjoy them often enough but what am I missing here?

My neighbor just gave me some lentils.  Plus it is fall - time for stews and soups and beany things. 

• Like 1

I wonder if dinner will cook itself if I decide to go back to bed.

My hypothesis is no.  And I hate doing experiments, so I think I will just assume that I'm right -- even without sufficient data to prove it.

Which means I have to go cook dinner.  *sigh*

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

I wonder if dinner will cook itself if I decide to go back to bed.

My hypothesis is no.  And I hate doing experiments, so I think I will just assume that I'm right -- even without sufficient data to prove it.

Which means I have to go cook dinner.  *sigh*

My research supports your hypothesis.  But I have found that steam-fresh veggies in the microwave and a hot rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli don't take much effort. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm used to being one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) parent in the group when Oldest does things with his peers, but it is downright comical when Youngest is in a group of peers. 😂

This happens to dh all the time but hasn't happened to me yet.  To be fair, dh is definitely old enough to be their grandfather and has snow white hair.    He corrects people every time.

Among my oldest's friends, I'm the young mom.  Among my younger kid's friends, I'm the old or average age mom.  

• Like 3

I survived classes today.   Now home for dinner then heading out for 4-H.   Tonight's activity I'm running the program for the younger kiddos so a little more work for me.  But it won't be for that long, only an hour at most probably.  

I don't feel awful but I feel wheezy.  My asthma is definitely kicking up.   I may come home from 4-H and just go right to bed.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My research supports your hypothesis.  But I have found that steam-fresh veggies in the microwave and a hot rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli don't take much effort. 

Yes, but still more effort than I wanted to give.  The dinner you described is actually what I do for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It gives me more time to visit with relatives -- and I don't get stressed.

• Like 3

A fun day at the lake was had by all, but I almost froze. The forecast was about 20 degrees and a whole lot of clouds off from what had been expected. It's incredibly raw, windy, and damp. Feels like winter got here.

One of the boys grilled hamburgers. Dinner achieved. But tomorrow I have to make soup. I'm down to one chapter to revise in one novel, and eight chapters to revise in the other. Almost there!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

(((Toto))) Get good rest.

My family hates lentils. Heathens.

Today was the Day of the Doctors. I took SuperDude to an ENT who *gasp* actually listened to me. SuperDude does, indeed, have a tongue tie that is likely contributing to his speech issues. We're getting it fixed on Wednesday. His hearing is perfect, though, so that's good. Previous tests were inconclusive.

This afternoon, I went to see my OB. My doc wasn't super happy with the physical exam, so she had me to a bio-something profile. Baby Cheeto passed easily (thank you, Jesus!), but he's measuring at 35 weeks instead of 33 weeks. We might be meeting him the week of Thanksgiving! The ultrasound tech estimates he's 5 lbs 4 oz right now, and gave me a picture of his face (below). 

All in all, a really good day.

20191028_171219.jpg

I must be looking in the wrong place because it looks like a cat in there. . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have never been mistaken for a grandmother.  I have always looked younger than my age -- which was really not good when I was teaching high school and got mistaken for a student.  Or when I was in high school and mistaken for an elementary student.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'm used to being one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) parent in the group when Oldest does things with his peers, but it is downright comical when Youngest is in a group of peers. 😂

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

This happens to dh all the time but hasn't happened to me yet.  To be fair, dh is definitely old enough to be their grandfather and has snow white hair.    He corrects people every time.

Among my oldest's friends, I'm the young mom.  Among my younger kid's friends, I'm the old or average age mom.  

I have never posted on this thread, but I do read it every once in a while. Today I read these and couldn't help but respond. 

There are only 17 mos between my youngest dd and my oldest granddaughter.  There are 21 yrs between our oldest ds and his little sister.

If the 2 of them are the only ones with me and people meet us for the first time, LOL.....he is 30 and she is 9! They don't know how to respond.

Dil used to babysit our oldest dd's son when he was a newborn. Our dd and dil's oldest dd are best friends and inseparable. If dil went out while watching all of them, she had our youngest (then 7), her kids 5,4, and 2, and her nephew (newborn). People would ask her if they were all hers, and she would reply, no, this is my sil  and this is my nephew. People would look at her as if she was nuts. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have never been mistaken for a grandmother.  I have always looked younger than my age -- which was really not good when I was teaching high school and got mistaken for a student.  Or when I was in high school and mistaken for an elementary student.  

I always looked young for my age.  Until chronic illness made me look older.  Oh well.  I did have one elderly lady wonder aloud at how young my voice sounds compared to the rest of me. . .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I always looked young for my age.  Until chronic illness made me look older.  Oh well.  I did have one elderly lady wonder aloud at how young my voice sounds compared to the rest of me. . .

So far chronic illness hasn't made me look much older (well, except for the cane that I use).  It has made me feel older.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Really? I see him lying there all sweet and cozy. Chin on the left, right cheek up high, looks like he's napping, nose a little blurry, left cheek in the dark zone, forehead on the right. He's adorable! 

I'm not really good at this. . .     Plus, I'm taking care of all these animals right now.  You're lucky I don't see two penguins and a goose in there! 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I have never posted on this thread, but I do read it every once in a while. Today I read these and couldn't help but respond. 

There are only 17 mos between my youngest dd and my oldest granddaughter.  There are 21 yrs between our oldest ds and his little sister.

If the 2 of them are the only ones with me and people meet us for the first time, LOL.....he is 30 and she is 9! They don't know how to respond.

Dil used to babysit our oldest dd's son when he was a newborn. Our dd and dil's oldest dd are best friends and inseparable. If dil went out while watching all of them, she had our youngest (then 7), her kids 5,4, and 2, and her nephew (newborn). People would ask her if they were all hers, and she would reply, no, this is my sil  and this is my nephew. People would look at her as if she was nuts. 🙂

I think this is awesome.  Does your granddaughter ever call your daughter Aunt?  I'm sure that would really confuse people. :) 

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

8 is here! Welcome!!!

Dh's family is like this, his youngest brother is only about a year older than his oldest niece.

My oldest and youngest sisters are twenty years apart but oldest sister has never been married so there were no grandchildren until some of us younger kids started getting married and having kids. I think my youngest sister was seven when my oldest nephew was born and eight when my oldest dd was born.

My oldest sister was a junior in college when youngest sister was born, my dad called and left a message both at her dorm room and at the campus office where she worked to let her know she had a baby sister so several people heard the message before she did. They thought that was a huge gap between siblings and probably a second marriage or something until my sister informed them that no, there was no gap--there were eight more siblings in between! Elite college in an area where most families averaged one or two kids, a family with ten kids was almost unimaginable to most of them.

• Like 2

I thought the chat board was the sea. I have been chewed out on the K-8 board. I've learned to post on the AL board but there needs to be a sub for PG because yes he's an amazing writer but he does not need college courses.

Booya.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

EIGHT IS HERE!!!  EIGHT IS HERE!!!!

Give me a ONE   (ONE!).  Give me a TWO   (TW0!)   Give me a THREE   (THREE!).  Give me a Four, Five, Six!  What comes after Seven????  EIGHT!!!!!  YAY!  🎉🎉🎉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I had some doofus in WalMart the other day ask son 14 if Captain was HIS SON!!! Seriously? Quiet Boy is just 14 and does not look old for his age at all. I really found that offensive.

((Bookie)) Cheeto is SO cute already!

I will catch up once the crowd has been fed and put to bed.

My oldest daughter used to get this all the time with her younger siblings, starting when she was about 13.  She did look older than her age but not that much older.

I used to look younger than my years.   Regularly carded until my mid-30's, dated significantly younger than my age.  The last two kids changed all that.  

• Like 2