Menu

Ignore this thread!

13 hours ago, Slache said:

I think we're getting a town home (stairs, more room, a backyard, AND a pool!) closer to church. Husband travels or drives so who cares and we'd be more comfortable while we waited to be able to afford a house.

5 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

And why didn't I already know about this? (Toe tapping guy)

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, too. I don't remember this mentioned...

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!

School and work.

So, have any of you read “The Read Aloud Family” by Sarah Mackenzie? I’m having a book club (for interested parents in our charter) at my house tomorrow and I just can’t choke that book down. Fortunately, I’m providing the food and not leading the discussion. I’ve picked up the book twice now and just want to scratch my eyes out. I think it’s this tendency, born out of modern homeschool-messy-bun-stay-at-home-mommy-blogs to try to identify with your reader by mentioning screaming kids and loads of laundry and all that, and for some reason it just grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard. Hopefully, I can get through the discussion. I feel like I did in high school, standing outside the door of Mrs. W’s senior English class on the day of the test about Siddhartha and hoping I could fake it enough to pass because I didn’t read the book.

I haven't. But, if a book irked me, I'd say, "The book irked me." Why do you have to pretend to like a book? I thought the purpose of a book club was to share ideas, and that not all ideas are going to be the same. After telling them much how much you hated the book, pull out what you prepared from Bookworm's ideas and share that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On rental versus owning, I suppose it depends on the market where you live. Rentals are absurdly expensive here, so if you can own, it's a good idea. But elsewhere I can imagine that the freedom a rental brings (from upkeep) is a big plus. 

On size:  My mom had 4 kids in a little house and 4 kids in a bigger colonial.  She said the colonial was much much much easier to deal with.  Something about how you spend your entire life cleaning a small space because it doesn't stay clean, while a large space allows you to hide messes more successfully so you don't feel like you always have to clean.

Since I'm in a little house with 5 kids and am convinced a bigger house will solve everything from pre-algebra woes to constipation,* I'm taking her view on the matter.  😂

*This is tongue-in-cheek.  Kind of.   But not really.   I really really really want a bigger house!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Happy Friday, BTW!  

A friend is bringing her public-schooled 2nd grader over for a tutorial from me on cuisinaire rods.  She struggles in math, but doesn't qualify for extra help.  It's a good reminder to me that, on bad days when I want to bus everyone off, the grass really isn't greener.  This mom and another friend have so much anxiety about school issues, and feel really powerless to change things. 

• Like 4

That was the plan before we moved here. We wanted a townhome, but couldn't find one that would take us without verified income. We decided that if we didn't like this apartment we would move to a town home. I told you this! We can't move till next summer anyway.

• Like 1

We are back from The Big City Adventure.  I dozed off during the Odyssey - the audience was surprisingly quiet and well behaved.  Mostly high school kids, I think.  Every so often one of the characters would break out in song and wake me up.  :biggrin:  I was parked legally.  Whew.  We sang Songs of Bad Drivers on the way home.  Since we were back later than expected, I read story while they ate sandwiches. 

Dh was able to negotiate a 20% discount on the trial cello and they threw in the hard case (with wheels) for free!  Probably didn't want to pay to ship an empty case.  I am so happy to have that done with.

Dh and dd13 are getting ready for tomorrow's backpacking trip. 

More Coffee!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I really love our house.  It's not perfect, and may eventually settle down into the creek, but it works well for us.  Whoever built the house added a full bathroom, a large 5x12 "closet/room" (the pantry), and whole hallway of closets in the basement.  Ds24's stuff is taking up a great deal of the basement hallway right now, but we're OK with that - it won't be forever.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Jeannie! (I think.  I'm pretty sure.) The bone broth is no longer available at Amazon!   I need another recommendation.   I like having my bone broth with my tea each morning and I'm almost out.  

I am still getting it on automatic subscription. It was delayed a couple of weeks (out of stock) and then I got it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I have no idea what is in my signature because I haven't been on Hive on the computer and a while. Let's hope it's close.

Grapevine Bible | RLTL, IEW & BW | Strayer-Upton & Saxon | Spanish, Greek & Japanese | Homemade Geography | MP Astronomy | Drawing & Piano
Obligatory Homeschool Blog     Plan to Eat Affiliate Link

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Did you just call Bookie "BOOKWORM"?!!! This is one of those laugh til it hurts or I wet my pants moments. Where IS that emoji!? 

Yes, she´s That Bookworm Mom. She doesn´t seem like much of a gambler...

As Jeannie said, we can all make up our own nicknames for one another. I´m often autocorrected as Renaissance. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Renai said:

Grapevine Bible | RLTL, IEW & BW | Strayer-Upton & Saxon | Spanish, Greek & Japanese | Homemade Geography | MP Astronomy | Drawing & Piano
Obligatory Homeschool Blog     Plan to Eat Affiliate Link

Yes! I don't think I've touched that blog in a year. I keep a blog because I've found other HS blogs helpful but I haven't had anything new to say.

Anyway. Alex has begun formal classes.

20191025_145224.jpg

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Renai said:

As Jeannie said, we can all make up our own nicknames for one another. I´m often autocorrected as Renaissance. 😅

And Jean is often autocorrected as 👖.  

Well, look at that.  A Jean's-New-Nickname-is-Denim-Skinnies Booyah!

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

It's fun to look at other people's capsule wardrobes. It's like a recipe for stylishness.

Too bad I suck at following recipes.

I accidentally did this before it was in, but not in those colors. I just don't need a lot of options and they all need to go together in case I have to do multiple things in one week with the same group of people.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I clearly missed SOMETHING while frantically cooking dinner. I have no idea what a capsule wardrobe even is! Jeeves! Define capsule wardrobe. Oops! That's a question for Alexa.

It's a wardrobe in which you have very few pieces but can create a lot of outfits. All of the bottoms match all of the tops and all of the accessories go with everything. Traditionally, it's black, white, and beige.

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Thank you, Slachie! 

Huh? Concept sounds great in theory, but the lack of color would depress me. 

My bottoms are jeans, black pants and black skirts, my tops are graphic Ts and flattering blouses which all go with each bottom, and my accessories are native American. Sandals and boots are both brown. 

I just peeked and my blouses are purple, white and red, y shirts are mostly reds and browns because I look good in them. Any of the above can go with any bottom and both pairs of shoes.

I don't buy something unless it goes with everything. I don't have the patience.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's a wardrobe in which you have very few pieces but can create a lot of outfits. All of the bottoms match all of the tops and all of the accessories go with everything. Traditionally, it's black, white, and beige.

Everything doesn't go with everything for me, but I do have to be intentional about what I get (for lack of space).  So most things do mix well with multiple other pieces (and especially with jeans, since I live in them).  And I only get/keep what I love enough to actually wear regularly.  Same goes for shoes. 

I'm not so intentional for the kids, though they lack space too (three girls share a single 3'x2' closet)  But I know what they are prone to wearing and of course don't bother with things they fuss about (like jeans for DS12; unless they have a comfort band around the waist, he won't touch them.)

Alex is playing sodas and dinosaurs.

Just now, lots of little ducklings said:

Everything doesn't go with everything for me, but I do have to be intentional about what I get (for lack of space).  So most things do mix well with multiple other pieces (and especially with jeans, since I live in them).  And I only get/keep what I love enough to actually wear regularly.  Same goes for shoes. 

I'm not so intentional for the kids, though they lack space too (three girls share a single 3'x2' closet)  But I know what they are prone to wearing and of course don't bother with things they fuss about (like jeans for DS12; unless they have a comfort band around the waist, he won't touch them.)

I am not fashionable. I dress well enough to not be depressed.

And I don't buy clothes for the kids. We had to buy John pants once. We are the hand-me-down champions.

5 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I tell myself things all the time and then forget I never really said them out loud and then DH looks at me like I've lost my mind

I say things out loud and then forget I said them so say them again.   Then I think dh read my mind because he already knew what I just told him. 

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am still getting it on automatic subscription. It was delayed a couple of weeks (out of stock) and then I got it again. 

Okay, I'll keep trying.  Hopefully that means it will be back in soon.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

My bottoms are jeans, black pants and black skirts, my tops are graphic Ts and flattering blouses which all go with each bottom, and my accessories are native American. Sandals and boots are both brown. 

All my clothes match.  Of course, all I wear are jeans and black yoga pants.  Not hard to match that.  I have slightly dressy blouses and science-themed graphic tshirts and hoodies for tops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Slachie, how are you doing that? I can put a YouTube video on here without it just linking to the page with the ads, list of other stuff, ect? Is there a way to just imbed the video without all the other stuff?

By spelling Booya correctly.

• Thanks 1