Menu

Ignore this thread!

17 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Slashie, 

What are you inspecting?  I've been too on-and-off following the thread.  Must have missed it.

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I am so thankful that every time you notice my confused emojis, you give me the backstory or missing piece of the puzzle so I don't have to ask.

Matt (husband) does the leg work and I do the clerical work. We inspect office buildings, apartment complexes and occasional oddities such as department stores or parking garages on behalf of banks, verifying the location's claims. Is it up to code? Did they do the repairs? Is it green (you can get lower rates for low flow plumbing, proper electrical work, etc.)? It was supposed to be his full time job but a few days before our arrival in Texas the company that he worked for decided they no longer needed him so he drives for Uber and Lyft while trying to build this up. Since getting here he's gotten Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae certified and is now getting HUD (housing and urban development) certified. Each certification means that every inspection is at a higher rate and that he's eligible for more inspections.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Slache said:

Matt (husband) does the leg work and I do the clerical work. We inspect office buildings, apartment complexes and occasional oddities such as department stores or parking garages on behalf of banks, verifying the location's claims. Is it up to code? Did they do the repairs? Is it green (you can get lower rates for low flow plumbing, proper electrical work, etc.)? It was supposed to be his full time job but a few days before our arrival in Texas the company that he worked for decided they no longer needed him so he drives for Uber and Lyft while trying to build this up. Since getting here he's gotten Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae certified and is now getting HUD (housing and urban development) certified. Each certification means that every inspection is at a higher rate and that he's eligible for more inspections.

That's fantastic... Matt sounds like a keeper. 🙂  I'm sure it keeps you busy, though. 

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I don’t know what makes a good book club book but my kids all loved The Ordinary Princess by MM Kaye

I'm not sure either, actually.  Discussability? My kids read tons of classics and nonfiction, but beyond that, I'm really ignorant about the options out there.  I'll add this to the list.  Thanks!  

On 10/23/2019 at 12:36 PM, Another Lynn said:

So. Sleepy.  Making decaf.  Anyone want a cup?  

Yes, mixed with cocoa.

On 10/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, KrissiK said:

Lunch has been eaten. I leave in about half an hour to pick up DD from school, take her to get her vaccinations. Then visit a family whilst little girls are at piano lessons. Awana tonight and DH comes home. Of course he just texted me that he bought a plane ticket for next week to go to Kansas City. 

Kansas?

20 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

How old is John now?

A few months older than Gymnast.

9 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

So I went swimming in the sea this morning and found something very interesting and I do have an opinion that could be voiced but I'm pretty sure I saw sharks there among the fish. Should I jump in and swim cautiously or run the other way before they see me?

6 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Is that a person? It's the second time I've seen it now.

Quackers+H because she's a Booya heretic. She's also Dr. Quack, and a mom of ducklings, who say, "Quack!" (lots of little ducklings)

5 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm not even wearing Pjs.

No pantz!

3 hours ago, lots of little ducklings said:

Favorite books for girls ages 8-11ish?  Mine are in a small book club with friends and we need ideas for November.  Any genre is fine.  We read historical fiction last month. 

Something with dragons in it...

2 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

This actually doesn't work with my phone for some reason. I press the quote on an individual post, then again on another post and it adds them to my text box in the same order. Then I go to my text box and answer them under each quote.

That's what mine does. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Wow, I really did step in a puddle of mud with the Booya/Booyah thing! I had no idea it was so longstanding! It's a wonder you guys didn't banish me into the wilderness after my first day.

I told you it was a Big Thing. Should of listened to me. And realized that going with the founder was the right decision.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

💡Makes sense now how you knew so much about the work needed for Renai's (did I spell that right?) neighboring apartment yesterday. At least, I think that was you who mentioned Kiltz and drywall. I don't have time to go back and check. Dinner, dinner, dinner....

Not me. I did work with habitat quite a bit though, so I do know some things.

24 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

That's fantastic... Matt sounds like a keeper. 🙂  I'm sure it keeps you busy, though. 

A keeper would be able to do it without all my help!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I got mine for being the manager of the track team. I had Scarlet Fever twice that year- once after starting track, so Coach let me keep times, etc. so I could still be involved.

From my US high school, I have 2 varsity letters for cheerleading as in Cheer- leading, none of this flip in the air, gymnastic TX crazy cheering. This was in NJ. We literally did cheers. That was a REALLY long time ago!

Did you actually go to the Soviet Union? That is so cool!

I got a varsity letter both my Junior and Senior years for Track & Field.  I threw shotput, discus and javelin.  

Dd's high school also had cheerleaders that actually cheered.  And danced.  Very little stunts, mainly just cartwheels.   She has a jacket and a letter.  She was a co-Captain Junior and Senior year (Junior because they had no senior cheerleaders that year). 

2 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Happy anniversary! I may be biased, but I think October weddings are the most beautiful.

Aww, I love this. I still have no reactions, but I love this.

Yes! I'm so angry on your behalf!

Thanks.  We actually didn't have a wedding.  We were supposed to have one in May, but had a quiet, mayor of our town, wedding when dd and I were moving in with dh.   We felt better having the paper given that we were dealing with her dad (joint custody).  Dd knew but we didn't tell anyone else.  Until I got pregnant with ds two weeks after THAT wedding and I decided I was not walking down an aisle 8 months pregnant.  So we told everyone at Christmas that we were pregnant, and Oh By the Way, we're also already married.    

My dad and his current wife had a Halloween wedding.  I thought that was pretty neat and I love Halloween so could go for that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

For me, book club books are often lighter/fluffier than books the kids would be reading for school, but they still must be of high quality and yes, very discussable. Is that a word? So I tend toward books that speak to being a decent human, but in a lighter or more fun way than a lot of "lit" books.

We've only done one so far, Twenty and Ten.  Definitely a lower reading level compared to what my girls are used to, but the content was well-worth talking about.  And yes, beginning NOW, discussability is a word. 😂 

• Like 2

I had a good afternoon talking with parents. I visited 4 families and all 4 visits were just wonderful. I’m learning that there are a lot of different reasons people homeschool and they aren’t all ideologues like me. And it feels good when a mom says, “I’m really glad I have you.”

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

We may have to move into an apartment again due to finances. I've found one close by that some friends of ours are living in while they wait to move. It is 1503 sqft! To me, that's house sized. We wouldn't change areas or Church. We would save about $1000/month so very tempting. The hard thing is giving up my schoolroom again and the space. True, Our rather large living room has basically nothing in it but having 4 bedrooms is tough to give up. I just ordered checks with this address! We have until February to decide so we will see what God's plan is.

I think we're getting a town home (stairs, more room, a backyard, AND a pool!) closer to church. Husband travels or drives so who cares and we'd be more comfortable while we waited to be able to afford a house.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

We may have to move into an apartment again due to finances. I've found one close by that some friends of ours are living in while they wait to move. It is 1503 sqft! To me, that's house sized. We wouldn't change areas or Church. We would save about $1000/month so very tempting. The hard thing is giving up my schoolroom again and the space. True, Our rather large living room has basically nothing in it but having 4 bedrooms is tough to give up. I just ordered checks with this address! We have until February to decide so we will see what God's plan is.

I'm sorry since it looks like this isn't what you want, but that apartment is twice the size of my house!  So I definitely would consider it "house size".  LOL.   I dream about a nice, spacious apartment where someone else worries about leaking roofs and lawns and snow and the million other things that need doing around here.   But I do like not having super close neighbors, the quiet.   

• Like 5

It's Friday!  Dd is miraculous feeling better since she has a Halloween party tonight.  But no party if she doesn't come to class today so we'll see how she's really feeling.  Tonight's also our town Trunk or Treat.  We're going to just play it all by ear since ds has also now been complaining of a slight sore throat and that's how it started with dd.

• Like 2

Good morning!

I need to figure out what we are doing for breakfast. There's an Asian market nearby that I want to check out (haven't been to an Asian market in a long time) but it doesn't open until 9:00.

We're trying to keep expenses down and the hotel food options are expensive. We had to stay at the tournament hotel last night because they charge crazy high fees (more than the cost of the hotel stay) if you don't. We're staying with friends in town tonight.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

And FWIW: houses are overrated. You can't call the landlord when something goes awry, and there is always something that goes awry. Usually when money is tight, never when you have it to spare. Maintaining everything on a grander scale is much more time consuming than I had ever envisioned in my younger grass is greener days. I kinda miss the apartment we had back in the day because I could seriously "clean" it in about 2hrs.

The primary advantage of a house is that I have a yard where I can plant my ten billion fruit trees. OK not really ten billion, our lot is only a quarter of an acre which is nice sized but not huge. I have planted a ridiculous number of trees though 🙂

Our house is just under 1700 square feet without the garage, we insulated the garage so we can use it as living space and that made a huge difference. We only had four kids when we moved in and now we have seven so things were getting a bit cramped.

before we came here we had four kids in a two bedroom apartment. That was...interesting.

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!

School and work.

So, have any of you read “The Read Aloud Family” by Sarah Mackenzie? I’m having a book club (for interested parents in our charter) at my house tomorrow and I just can’t choke that book down. Fortunately, I’m providing the food and not leading the discussion. I’ve picked up the book twice now and just want to scratch my eyes out. I think it’s this tendency, born out of modern homeschool-messy-bun-stay-at-home-mommy-blogs to try to identify with your reader by mentioning screaming kids and loads of laundry and all that, and for some reason it just grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard. Hopefully, I can get through the discussion. I feel like I did in high school, standing outside the door of Mrs. W’s senior English class on the day of the test about Siddhartha and hoping I could fake it enough to pass because I didn’t read the book.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Youngest is at that stage I have a love/hate relationship with. I say this because it is hilarious and full of wonder and excitement, but sooo exhausting to keep up with! You know the one: curious about everything, especially the toilet and waving goodbye to everything it contains. Also, leaving a path of destruction in his wake everywhere he goes because it is his absolute duty in life to take everything "out" but never put anything back "in."

Toddler rule: All containers shall be empty.

I need to get so, so much done today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

And why didn't I already know about this? (Toe tapping guy)

I told you about this before we even moved here! It was my plan if we didn't think we were going to buy a house quickly.

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

And FWIW: houses are overrated. You can't call the landlord when something goes awry, and there is always something that goes awry. Usually when money is tight, never when you have it to spare. Maintaining everything on a grander scale is much more time consuming than I had ever envisioned in my younger grass is greener days. I kinda miss the apartment we had back in the day because I could seriously "clean" it in about 2hrs.

I keep trying to explain this to my husband but he doesn't listen. Part of the reason we want to buy a house is what happens to your house payment in 20 or 30 years. Rent doesn't do that.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!!

School and work.

So, have any of you read “The Read Aloud Family” by Sarah Mackenzie? I’m having a book club (for interested parents in our charter) at my house tomorrow and I just can’t choke that book down. Fortunately, I’m providing the food and not leading the discussion. I’ve picked up the book twice now and just want to scratch my eyes out. I think it’s this tendency, born out of modern homeschool-messy-bun-stay-at-home-mommy-blogs to try to identify with your reader by mentioning screaming kids and loads of laundry and all that, and for some reason it just grates on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard. Hopefully, I can get through the discussion. I feel like I did in high school, standing outside the door of Mrs. W’s senior English class on the day of the test about Siddhartha and hoping I could fake it enough to pass because I didn’t read the book.

I have not read it.  Something about the whole thing irks me a bit.  These young whipper snappers acting like they came up with this great idea.  <eye roll>  I know, I know - it's me, not them.  I'm just an old lady shaking my cane and yelling for them to get off my lawn.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning!

We’re in The Big City performing arts center waiting for The Odyssey to start. It’s a production done for schools and educational groups, and the behavior of the audience is usually pretty bad. But they are well done and inexpensive enough that I can bring all The Youngers. 

Rain is on the way. Hopefully it will hold off until we get back to the van. 

Coffee!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

This is ITT- comment away.

Thanks everyone for the words of comfort about the apartment thing. I’m pretty sure that is what will happen. How about we pray that one on the first floor near the pool is ready when we are? Think positive, right?

Yes!  And that it will be a nice segue into your Scotland assignment!  Maybe.  

• Like 1