Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

(((Families))) Praying for them, Angi.

Dh was adjusting the thing on the treadmill this morning and fell and got a little gash on his eyebrow and leg and bent his glasses.  Yay for mornings!  :biggrin:  I have to drive to the other side of The Big City to return a trial cello.  Hopefully traffic will settle down before I have to leave.  Church choirs tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

I woke up waaaaay early this morning and wasn’t able to go back to sleep, so I just got up. The cats weren’t even begging to be let in yet. And usually Lilly is my alarm clock.

Lots going on today. School & work. I gotta take DD to the doctor to get two vaccinations or she gets kicked out of school. $#@#$&$ government. And I’m not an anti-vaxxer. It just makes me mad. Then the girls have piano lessons and I visit a family this afternoon. Fortunately, they live right across the street from the retirement village where the girls have piano, so I schedule the visit during piano lessons.

Awana tonight.

DH comes home today. Yay!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Recipe?

I kind of made it up. I chopped up 3 apples and put them in a little sauce pan with some water to cook until soft. Then I mashed them up with a fork, they were still pretty chunky, and added some butter, sugar, a generous dash of cinnamon and a small dash of cloves. Serve hot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Morning!

I stayed up too late last night.

And of course was awake to early because my brain doesn't think sleep is a thing past about 5:30 AM.

We leave tomorrow morning to drive to the out of state karate tournament. This means I have too much to do today. Oh wait, I have too much to do every day.

Huh.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I kind of made it up. I chopped up 3 apples and put them in a little sauce pan with some water to cook until soft. Then I mashed them up with a fork, they were still pretty chunky, and added some butter, sugar, a generous dash of cinnamon and a small dash of cloves. Serve hot.

I want some!

Hm, I've still got plenty of apples upstairs...

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 9:18 PM, Susan in TN said:

I'm outta likes, but I like y'all!

I also like Tootsie Rolls.

I've spent too much time today researching and designing embroidery patterns.  I took a short break to start a quartet arrangement of Jingle Bells.

Speaking of Jingle Bells, I added two songs to the Holiday Spanish songs repertoire. I had "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas," and have added "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Clause is Coming to Town." 😄 

On 10/22/2019 at 5:13 AM, Where's Toto? said:

The Cupcake Kerfuffle was about bringing cupcakes to school, if I remember correctly.  Then there were the shopping cart and shoes in houses kerfluffles.  

I...think...I remember it being a lot more than this...

On 10/22/2019 at 7:06 AM, KrissiK said:

Yes, the Great Cupcake Kerfluffle started out innocently enough (they all do) and then became absolutely legendary. That’s why it’s important to not go swimming in the sea. (Someone needs to post that video for Servant, there are other phrases that came out of that one. Gee, we are really educating her in ITT Lore, aren’t we? )

Yeah, I'm thinking it ended up with pictures of "cupcakes," really handsome men...I think...I wasn't actually present in that one, but believe I MAY have looked at it afterwards...don't remember, it's all a blur. Of course, nothing is left of the thread, since it was full of pictures (cupcakes and "cupcakes"), and all those have been deleted.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, KrissiK said:

I’m going for Washington, too. But only because it is my policy to cheer for the Dodgers first, and then when that fails, I cheer for the National League team. Unless it’s the Giants.

Go Sportsball!!

Which ball is this again?

23 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Ohaiyo gozaimashita!  (I must type in Japanese romaji a lot because that was suggested to me by my phone.)

For Maize:  おはようございます!!

早上好!

23 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I feel it shouldn't be so difficult to find a size small 1/2-3/4" girl's belt that is not pink or a bright color or leopard print or sparkly.  Just medium brown leather.

Kmart is closing, you should try there. I found some.

17 hours ago, Slache said:

Ohayogozaimasu.

Yes. Christmas gift shopping is always a huge drama with MIL. It used to start in July but she's getting older and tired. I think I'm getting all 3 kids weighted blankets. We have a November birthday getting a paint by number and a February birthday getting Prismacolors.

Cool and inexpensive:

• Pool/beach toys
  • Board games (I put Guess Who and Risk on the list this year)
  • Favorite clothing items
  • Check the costumes after Halloween
  • Calendar
  • Graphic t shirts from Target/walmart/amazon
  • I have fine chocolate, a notebook and a new water bottle on mine. My husband asked for a sushi making kit and Spotify GCs.

Gymnast could use a weighted blanket. I even mentioned it to her and she was really into the idea. Thanks for reminding me about paint-by-number. She mentioned something similar the other day.

11 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

See, I figured year 5 because her math is Saxon 54. She figures she "really" started at 2 when she started begging for schoolbooks so I bought her the first 3 ABC Explode the Code books. I live in Texas. Nobody is ever going to ask me a thing. I really have no idea where she got the idea that it is a big deal. It's not like anyone bothers her about it.

ADDING: As far as maturity, she is very 'young' for her age and small- about the size of an 8 yr old. She likes playing with the younger girls in the cul-de-sac and from Church. I think maybe it has something to do with she is the ONLY 11 year old girl in our Church right now. (I don't know about the boys.) The other Young Women are much older and there are only a few of them, anyway. i am concerned about her moving up in January, to be honest.

This reminded me of how I am once again a renegade homeschooler. She goes to the "homeschool/tutorial" program at the public school for 12.5 hours a week, and somehow is still considered a homeschool student. So, I'm supposed to "register" (actually do an Intent form) for homeschooling, but haven't done it yet because I don't agree with the changes they put on the form.

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I don't the know the exact qualifications of an EdPo, but I think you're safe. If you were fishing for advice in curric/ed specifics, then I think swimming in the sea might be the better option. But you weren't.

I think It's ok to have a proud mommy moment and it's exciting to share these moments with friends. 

Yeah, um, we still ask each other for advice and curriculum specifics here, lol!

• Like 5

Remember I mentioned our smoking next door neighbor who was diagnosed with lung cancer a few months ago? He's been on treatment, and looked as though things were going well. We just found out a couple of weeks ago that the cancer has invaded his other organs and he has from a few weeks to 4 months left. He's moved out of the apartment and to his sister's an hour away. 😞 

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I would feel ambivalent about this. Sad he is dying but happy he moved out.

When is the demolition crew coming in to strip the apartment? The only way to get rid of that is to replace everything in there including the dry wall. No amount of KILZ or cleaning is going to mask that nasty permanently.

Yeah, I am sad, but all that smoke coming into our apartment was wreaking havoc on my asthma. I've gone from using an inhaler a few times every three-four months, to almost daily. I hope the next tenant doesn't smoke, and I have half a mind to ask the landlord about making indoor smoking prohibited. It just seems in bad taste right now, though. My girls call our bachelor neighbors "Uncle." 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Renai said:

Yeah, I am sad, but all that smoke coming into our apartment was wreaking havoc on my asthma. I've gone from using an inhaler a few times every three-four months, to almost daily. I hope the next tenant doesn't smoke, and I have half a mind to ask the landlord about making indoor smoking prohibited. It just seems in bad taste right now, though. My girls call our bachelor neighbors "Uncle." 😞 

I would ask. This is a long term health issue. You deserve to not suffer in your own home.

I'm sorry for your pain, but glad he left before he got too bad. When our neighbor was dying mine made cards and recited poetry and songs for her.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Where's the laughing my butt off with arms smacking the ground emoji?

That's another one lost in the change. 😞

12 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I made the best dinner tonight. We had breakfast -waffles and bacon, but for the waffles I made this hot applesauce topping (out of fresh apples), but it tasted more like apple pie filling, lots of cinnamon and cloves. I put a smear of sour cream on the waffle first, then topped with the apples. Oh my word. It was heavenly.

That's how I make applesauce, only without the butter and sugar. Your way sounds yummier, especially with bacon and waffles.

• Like 3

Hola. We mountained. Sleeping in the same room as my child has me asking again how in the world he can be awake by 6 am every morning no matter what time (within reason) he went to bed.

I ketchupped. Welcome, S4C! (I'm pronouncing it sfork. I hope that's okay.)

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 4

Garage freezer is defrosted and refrozen now.

Sigh. I no longer have an excuse for not making ginormous batches of freezer meatballs. 

We Bible Studied, and now I'm trapped in my room because Ds5 decided that the September-to-March drought on birthdays is TOO MUCH FOR HIM.  He and Dd7 are making presents for everyone, wrapping them in TraderJoes bags, and hiding them all over the house.  

Shhhh.  It's a secret.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lunch has been eaten. I leave in about half an hour to pick up DD from school, take her to get her vaccinations. Then visit a family whilst little girls are at piano lessons. Awana tonight and DH comes home. Of course he just texted me that he bought a plane ticket for next week to go to Kansas City. 

• Sad 3

Taking a breather.  It has been a busy day.

I did a little bit of exercise this morning -- Tai Chi.  My foot has been feeling quite a bit better.

Had to run kids hither and yon for activities today.  Also, had to take a dd to the podiatrist for an infected toe.  Don't worry -- I won't go into details.

Had to make a trip to the pharmacy and back to the podiatrist to retrieve a forgotten item.

Somehow in the middle of that we actually got a little bit of homeschool done.  Not much, but a little.

I napped, but not enough. 

Leftovers for dinner.  Helped dd11 with the dishes.

World Series tonight after Spanish church service.

Hoping for a calmer day tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Okay, I am back. DD got her immunizations and I just need to scan the card and email it to the school before they kick her out. Then I had a nice talk with a mom and her son who is a very good violinist. He always gives me a little concert when I visit, which I enjoy. Girls went to piano, I went to the gas station, and now I will compose my thoughts and do some work before Awana.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

At my age, you have to rely on the smell to wake you up. Otherwise there’s no hope of falling asleep tonight!  😬😩😂

The older I get the less it affects me at night. My Grandma drank COFFEE!!!!~D all day long and slept great. I didn’t become a COFFEE!!!~D  drinker until my 30’s and Grandma thought there was seriously something wrong with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry, Servant. Our van was on its last legs and we made a very difficult decision to turn it in when we truly could not afford a higher car payment. The Lord definitely blessed us because when all was said and done we wound up with a reliable car and after the increase in car payment, increase in insurance and decrease in gas money we are saving a little over $300 a month. My husband drives about 250 miles a day for Uber and Lyft.

• Like 3

ITT was with me when we got Barbravan, too. We got her for Alex because we couldn't fit 3 car seats in the Prius, but we're down to one seat and one booster so everyone fits in Adam just fine. Now that we live in Texas the kids don't need to be strapped down anyway, so we can go ahead and have another.

Svengo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dh said the treadmill fall and gash on his head this morning was the high point of his day.  Everything went downhill from there!

In other news, ds24 said the company that owns the building his office is in just installed a beer tap in the common area. :ohmy:

I'm watching Woman in Black on Amazon Prime.  It's a good ghost story.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

I was about to post - yippee tomorrow's Friday!  and I realized tomorrow is Thursday.  Darn.

Dd is feeling better.  Still coughing quite a bit and stuffy nose but she's back to running around her room slamming into the walls.  It's her favorite thing to do - "dancing" to music with headphones on.  We can't hear the music but we hear the walls rattle when she runs into them.   Her tkd instructor said she could do her belt test next week when she's feeling 100% (it was supposed to be tonight).

Two more days of class this week, then next week and I'm done for this session.   Then a week off before the new session starts (although I'll have 4-H and tutoring that week).   Then two weeks of class, off a week for Thanksgiving, three weeks of class, off two weeks for Christmas/New Years.  This 8 week session takes almost 3 months to get through because of holidays.  But that also makes it one of the easiest sessions because of all the breaks.  

• Like 4

I can have caffeine late in the day now.  It's only occasionally that I have trouble sleeping and it seems to be hormonal.   I've been going to Panera and having chai tea latte at 6pm when dd is at tkd and it's not been a problem.  Getting up at 6:30am and spending 5 hours a day on my feet seems to have cured most of my insomnia.  Go figure.

I won't be doing the late evening Panera anymore anyway.  We joined a gym that's right near dd's tkd place so we can drag ds there for exercise while she's at tkd.  I signed up for my membership over the weekend and was planning to bring ds on Monday.  Except then dd was sick and not going to tkd, and ds also had a sore throat and things just kind of fell apart this week.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh said the treadmill fall and gash on his head this morning was the high point of his day.  Everything went downhill from there!

In other news, ds24 said the company that owns the building his office is in just installed a beer tap in the common area. :ohmy:

I'm watching Woman in Black on Amazon Prime.  It's a good ghost story.

Oh dear!  

Oh dear!

Oh dear!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good Morning! Happy Thursday. Three classes, two tutoring sessions today.  Not too bad and the today's classes aren't any of the rough ones.  

Dh is being snarky about the kids not having school set up.  But dd is sick and ds has school stuff he could do so I don't see the problem.  Okay, I do see the problem but it's one week and an unusual one at that.  

• Like 2

Good morning!  It's Friday Eve!

The sea is dangerous.  I don't go there.

Saturday morning grocery shopping is not really working out for me.  Imma need to find another time to schedule it in.

The capirotada is in the oven.  I am about 2 months behind in science with the 2 youngest.  Sigh.  I keep forgetting to do it with them.  Older 2 have tutorial today, cello lesson road trip after that, and orchestra rehearsal for me tonight.

Coffee!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

How did he learn piano? We're considering lessons for Oldest next year but I'm teaching a little bit of basic music theory first while he's building better math skills.

He took traditional piano lessons from age 5-10, and then when he was a teenager, took lessons for a couple more years from a guy who basically taught him theory and how to play chord charts.  After that he mostly did self-study in jazz and experiemented with writing pop tunes.  Later he wrote some hymns.  Now he is writing what I would call Debussy/Schumann/Brahms-style short pieces.  Reading piano music is not easy for him, though he can read vocal and saxophone music (single lines) well.

My personal opinion is that if you want kids to develop math skills to the best of their individual abilities, have them learn to play an instrument.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!

DH came home last night. He had a good trip and felt very positive about things. And he loved Dallas. Couldn’t say enough good things about that city. 

Busy day today. Edumacating the girls this morning, visiting 4 families this afternoon. It should all go well, though.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

He took traditional piano lessons from age 5-10, and then when he was a teenager, took lessons for a couple more years from a guy who basically taught him theory and how to play chord charts.  After that he mostly did self-study in jazz and experiemented with writing pop tunes.  Later he wrote some hymns.  Now he is writing what I would call Debussy/Schumann/Brahms-style short pieces.  Reading piano music is not easy for him, though he can read vocal and saxophone music (single lines) well.

My personal opinion is that if you want kids to develop math skills to the best of their individual abilities, have them learn to play an instrument.

So 6 years isn't enough for formal piano lessons? I thought we would be done with this eventually!?

Svengo.

• Haha 2