Menu

Ignore this thread!

So I ended up not doing my last class today.    There's 5 people in the class - 1 is my dd, 1 I knew was on vacation since he's gone 3 weeks, 1 I found out on Tuesday they wouldn't be here today.     At class start time, only my dd was here so I didn't bother starting class for just her.  Of the two students who I thought were coming, both tend to be late.  Anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes.  Usually I just start class on time and they join in when they get here.  Sometimes they may need to sit for a minute until I can go over directions and safety rules that they missed with them.   Today's class was an activity that was going to take the whole hour to do right.   I could push things and maybe do it in 5 or 10 minutes less but any more than that and it couldn't be done correctly or safely.   And it wasn't something we could start today and finish up next week.   

About 5 minutes after class time, I got a message from one student's mom that they weren't going to make it.  Apologized, they were hoping to make it, but couldn't.   I didn't hear anything from the other student (but I often don't hear from students if they are missing class).   I waited until 15 minutes after class was to start, cleaned up and figured that was it.   Then they arrived.   I told them that we hadn't started class since dd was the only one there and the activity was one that couldn't be done in just 45 minutes.   She asked if I was offering a make-up and I"m not planning to.  I usually just do makeups for snow days or other reasons I close (it's only ever been weather).  Right now I'm off that entire week since we haven't had to use a snow day and I doubt we will since there's only two weeks left.  I will probably rework the last two weeks to cover today's material with different activities.  

So do you think I handled that okay?  I've been second (third, fourth) guessing since it happened.  Should I have gone ahead with the class and just figured out a way to shorten the activity (I don't know how I would have done that or come up with a different activity at the last second)?  Should I offer a make-up?  I kind of don't feel like I should have to but she seemed to expect it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I think you handled it fine. Her expectation isn't really your problem. They were too late to class to safely complete the activity. 🤷‍♀️ You would have held the class if they were on time, right?

Definitely.  I run classes if even one kid shows up, just not when it's only my kid.

Edited by Where's Toto?
ETA: super late on the booya
  • Like 3

I learned how to not explode the pease.

The kids are playing monster tag which is tag in the dark with flashlights while monster mash plays. They are not insured.

I think I want a student planner. Any suggestions? I'd prefer free printable but will probably make my own so all ideas welcome.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Have you had Tillamook ice cream?  It was on sale so I bought some for dh's birthday.  It looked good.

Seriously!? I had no idea you could get that! My top pick of any ice cream anywhere is Salted Butterscotch. My mom's is Oregon Strawberry. I don't care what your favorite flavors are, Tillamook will beat it with their special offrings (my lifetime favorite is mint chocolate chip but Tillamook Salted Butterscotch has it beat).

Matt just chimed in to get Marion berry pie flavor.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning!

Mom woke up a little last night, but she can't talk. Her doctor thinks she may have a large tumor in her stomach, and she's steadily declining. It's a matter of time now. They're keeping her comfortable at home. She's too fragile to transfer. It really sucks being so far away.

Today we're going to visit my dad and stepmom. Dad's recovering from his surgery well and might be going back to work next week. Tomorrow our co op is hosting a Family Hoe Down, complete with chili cook off. I'm looking forward to spending time with the family we've made for ourselves in our homeschool community. I wish all of you could come! You're welcome to stay with me. 😁

(((Bookie)))  That's so hard.  💓

• Like 1

Coffee was delayed today, literally.  I thought I started it, but accidentally hit "delay brew."  Thinking I just didn't hear the lovely, "coffee is ready" beep, I checked on it and discovered my blunder, which has since been remedied.  Whew!  

And then I remembered I was supposed to start my last load of laundry first thing this morning.  (Well, not really the last load, but the last load of my personal laundry which has piled up a bit because of 14yo ds doing two loads a day for his life skills class homework - and I wasn't letting him anywhere near mine, lol.)  So, I just threw that in an hour later than I should have.  Youngest and I have 50 million things to do to get ready for a swimmeet this weekend - first of the new swim year!  🎉

• Like 3

Good morning!

Whew, Lynn!  That was a close one! Congratulations and good luck to your kids!

My glider started squeaking this morning so I had to stop gliding and olive oil it.  The doorstop I made dh for his birthday works very well.  I need to pick up books at the library this morning, do some work at the church, and maybe stop by the thrift store.

Coffee!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Also, (I put it on fb, but forgot to tell you guys!)  17 yo ds earned his 2nd degree black belt!  This was a really big goal and a long time in the making!  🏆🎉

Congratulations!!!

What goes into the second degree test?

My oldest two are watching the mail, hoping for an invitation to prepare for the back belt test next August. Our dojo only does them once a year and they are by invite only. This year we only had one person test but I think there are a dozen or more who should be ready next year--we have lots of upper belts right now.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Friday!!

School & Family visits!!!

Homecoming tonight at the kids’ school. DD is over-the-top excited. And she’s on meds, so she can go. I don’t know if she really has anything, but I don’t think the antibiotic is going to hurt her (she hasn’t taken any sort of antibiotic in years) and may prevent sinus infection. 

DH leaves for another business trip on Sunday. Fortunately it’s in the US. He’s going to Dallas. And yes, I was extremely tempted to come with him, rent a car and see my Texas ITT friends (although with Texas being so big I think I might be doing more driving than I bargained for. It’s like when people say they are coming to California, let’s get together and I’m like, yeah, that’s a 4 hour drive from me). But, it would take more planning and figuring things out than I have time or energy for, so I will stay home.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, maize said:

Good morning!

I'm going to try to get a Dr. Appointment for my two youngest today, we've just been sick for too long. 

Still doesn't feel like more than a cold but what cold lasts for more than four weeks?

Allergies?

48 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I have my endoscopy today to see if the can't figure out why swallowing feels off. No caffeine this morning means I'm super crabby.

Glad you're having it done; hoping for the most helpful outcome!  (And rooting for you to be done and have your caffeine as soon as possible!)

48 minutes ago, maize said:

Congratulations!!!

What goes into the second degree test?

My oldest two are watching the mail, hoping for an invitation to prepare for the back belt test next August. Our dojo only does them once a year and they are by invite only. This year we only had one person test but I think there are a dozen or more who should be ready next year--we have lots of upper belts right now.

Well, I don't really keep up with it, but it's definitely different than your dojo (no invitation necessary, but there is an attendance requirement and other "check points" along the way.  Also, I think I remember your saying their test was all day?).  Obviously, he had to do his form and spar and board breaking - the board breaking is definitely more challenging at each level - that's usually what keeps him from passing the first time (and then it's an 8 week wait or longer to test again).  He may have had additional sparring tests (like maybe sparring two other black belts at once?).  Anyway, they have a lot of intermediary steps and reviews before they get to the final test and each one of those is 8 weeks apart or more.  I think any degree above 2nd requires testing at a National Tournament, so he might not go any higher - at least for the foreseeable future.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maize said:

Good morning!

I'm going to try to get a Dr. Appointment for my two youngest today, we've just been sick for too long. 

Still doesn't feel like more than a cold but what cold lasts for more than four weeks?

We got sick before you and we're still sick, but much better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Well, I don't really keep up with it, but it's definitely different than your dojo (no invitation necessary, but there is an attendance requirement and other "check points" along the way.  Also, I think I remember your saying their test was all day?).  Obviously, he had to do his form and spar and board breaking - the board breaking is definitely more challenging at each level - that's usually what keeps him from passing the first time (and then it's an 8 week wait or longer to test again).  He may have had additional sparring tests (like maybe sparring two other black belts at once?).  Anyway, they have a lot of intermediary steps and reviews before they get to the final test and each one of those is 8 weeks apart or more.  I think any degree above 2nd requires testing at a National Tournament, so he might not go any higher - at least for the foreseeable future.    

We haven't been through the process yet but it seems pretty intensive. I think those who are invited to test get a binder with a training plan in it, physical conditioning seems to be strongly emphasized and the test starts out with a two mile run. They have to do 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups. And I know they go through all the forms and techniques starting with what they learned as a white belt. And they are supposed to break a brick? 

The whole thing sounds intimidating to me but my kids after gung-ho to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found some pants (leggings) at the thrift store that fit dd16!!  One pair needs a belt, but they're not too bad.  There were a couple size 2s on the clearance rack for $1 that were too big for her, but they fit dd13.  

The girls brought up the winter clothes bins and I'm already overwhelmed.  And I'm not even doing anything with their clothes.  I got out my bin and am clearing out my drawers and plan to go through my closet.  I found my favorite gray wool skirt and it fits me again!  I also found my favorite red hoodie-sweater that is essentially my light jacket.

I'm trying to work up the gumption to go grocery shopping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been in "putting up the harvest" mode, which is ridiculously time consuming. I've got two jars of sauerkraut fermenting and several trays of fruit in the dehydrator. I'm also attempting to ferment hot peppers to make sauce.

The kids should be doing schoolwork but we are all so tired still. Prepping fruit takes less energy than motivating kids does.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stayed up reading until around 2:30am.  Then had trouble falling asleep somehow.  No yoga in the morning but Dunkin Donuts vanilla chai tea and a sandwich and a donut.  That was enough sugar and caffeine that I made it through two classes and a 3 hour workshop.   Now I"m home and ready for bed.  But I'll probably put on headphones and watch Supernatural instead.

• Like 3

I finished the Aldi shopping and had the kids bring in all the groceries and put them away while I got dinner going - W. African plasas with rice and a mixed greens salad.  Nuts, I forgot to buy cabbage.  I am starting to stock up on food to bring for the in-laws at Christmas.  I also bought chocolate "Halloween" Twinkies.  :laugh:

Dh's birthday movie choice is Spiderman Far From Home, so we are watching that tonight.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Scotsman fell asleep while we were watching Spiderman Far from Home special features.

EDPO:

I signed up 2 of mine for T4L. Scotsman wants us to give it a try. I’m ok with that except for not ditching Saxon math! I checked out all the novel studies for 4th- 12th. None of the ones for high school are acceptable to our family and I’m not sure about 8th. I don’t know about the poems and such because I don’t want to look up that many titles! I’m thinking tweak this or tweak BJU Lit, AG, and IEW. Tweaking T4L seems so much easier, though.

The apple crisp was delicious especially with the British Birds Eye Custard.

I really should not be awake still. Too much swirling in my brain.

What do you like about T4L?

I'm wondering if I should look into it. My 14 year old tends to respond better to stuff on a screen.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Good morning!

(((Slachey))) doing better this morning?

Hope you can find a good solution for ds, Maize!

I woke up too early because I had to go potty but didn't want to get out of bed because cold!  We are going for a hike this morning at a local park.  It will be the first actual hike in my new hiking shoes, which I wear almost every day.  I might head over to Hobby Lobby or Joann's later to look for some craft supplies - I have a "flexible Advent calendar" plan swirling in my brain.  I'm making myself some oat/cottage cheese pancakes for breakfast.  So yummy!

Coffee!

Belated Booyah!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!,

COFFEE!!!!~D

Saturday!! Slept in!! It felt nice. Today I need to clean house and fold laundry. This afternoon we have a staff social which should be fun. It’s for families.  I’m just moving slowly this morning, which is fine.

Lynn, I have McDonald’s COFFEE!!!~D every morning. I just make it in my own coffee maker. I like McDonald’s COFFEE!!!!!~D

• Like 3

We are back from the hike.  It ended up being a little over 3 miles instead of 2 because dd13 wanted to go to the lake dock area and give a dead dragonfly a Viking funeral on a walnut shell boat.  My new hiking shoes made the balls of my feet feel like they were going to crack apart.  Might have been too tight.  We got home and I banished the goat and ate lunch.  Imma 'bout to leave for the craft store.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

We are back from the hike.  It ended up being a little over 3 miles instead of 2 because dd13 wanted to go to the lake dock area and give a dead dragonfly a Viking funeral on a walnut shell boat.  My new hiking shoes made the balls of my feet feel like they were going to crack apart.  Might have been too tight.  We got home and I banished the goat and ate lunch.  Imma 'bout to leave for the craft store.

I hope you didn't set the forest on fire!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happy Saturday!  I slept in a little bit today, just until shortly before 9am.   The guy came over to fix the roof from what was leaking just after 9.  Looks like it was a problem due to the skylight.  

We are joining a gym right near dd's TKD so we can drag ds there whenever dd is at TKD, which is 3-4 days a week.  He's putting on too much weight and doesn't get enough exercise, so hopefully this will help.  We ran by there today for dd and dh to see the place and ask some questions and then couldn't sign up because I forgot I needed to have bank account numbers not just a debit card.  So I did my membership online and I'll bring ds on Monday and do his.  Ds is actually going to get the big membership that allows guests, I'm getting a cheaper membership that doesn't, and dh will be ds's guest when he comes.  Dd wouldn't go too much anyway, but they won't allow her until she's 13.    I hope this works out for all of us.  

Then I ran to Target because dd's shirt got wet at the science center yesterday and she was standing there in her cami/sports bra style bra and I realized she was still wearing a kid's size and she really needed bigger ones.  She thought they were fine but they weren't staying where they were supposed to be.   And I decided I was going to buy all new nice underwear and get rid of all the old, stretched out, frayed stuff.   

Then I went to BJ's for science center stuff and a few things for home.  

Then I set up a subscribe & save order for paper towels on Amazon.  I try to use hand towels when I can but I still go through a TON of  paper towels.   Amazon is slightly cheaper than any place else.  

Can anyone give me a good reason for paper towel pricing and sizes?    There's the Regular roll, then the Big roll, and the Mega roll, and the Super roll, the Double roll,  the Gigantic roll, the Huge roll and the Triple Roll.   And the big ones relate to the Regular rolls in all different ways that aren't even nice round numbers but things like 1.83 times the regular roll and the pricing is all over the place.   I expect things to be a little goofy trying to price compare between brands but that's ALL ONE BRAND.  I can't even stand there in the grocery store looking at the packages, looking at the unit prices and figure out what the best deal is.  It's ridiculous! 

• Like 4