Menu

What's with the ads?

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Awesome!  🏆

(When we post a purple trophy reaction, it can either mean the designated "thank you", or more often than not, just awarding you a trophy for work well done.)

And we issue hearts for things like hugs and support. If you say "My child is in the hospital" we will like for support.

It's an ITT love BOOYA!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 7

Things have been absolutely insane since we got here. We needed to make money as soon as we arrived but we all got the flu so Matt's been working his butt off trying to catch up. The only time he has had off has either been to lie in bed trying not to die, or on Sundays. We are planning on a trip to Corpus Christi next week. He has been dying to go to the beach since we got here. He wanted to go for his birthday but we didn't have the time to spare.

• Sad 5

And if anyone has an opinion on the beaches here we get free oil changes in Corpus Christi so if you want to talk us into a different Beach there needs to be a $20 reason to do so.

• Like 1

This is dd12's year to get a set of the Chronicles of Narnia.  My favorite set to give is the hardcover, MacMillan 1988, but the cheapest set I can find right now is over $500!  Uff da.  I have to keep searching...

Ds14 will get a set of LoTR and Hobbit.  I love the newer pleather deluxe "pocket" set, and also the set illustrated by Alan Lee.  I think he'd like the illustrated set best.  Have to check prices on abebooks.  Also a nice book of Sherlock Holmes that I got last year but forgot to give him.

I think I'll get dd10 a set of Anne of Green Gables and maybe also Redwall.

Dd16 gets the Oxford Complete Shakespeare, Portable Romantic Poets, The Hawk and The Dove trilogy, and Pride and Prejudice. 

Not sure about dd20.  Maybe a book of George Herbert. She doesn't have Where The Wild Things Are or The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh yet.

I was trying to give someone a copy of The Power and the Glory last year, but couldn't find a nice copy.  I wonder who it was supposed to be for...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

This is dd12's year to get a set of the Chronicles of Narnia.  My favorite set to give is the hardcover, MacMillan 1988, but the cheapest set I can find right now is over $500!  Uff da.  I have to keep searching...

Ds14 will get a set of LoTR and Hobbit.  I love the newer pleather deluxe "pocket" set, and also the set illustrated by Alan Lee.  I think he'd like the illustrated set best.  Have to check prices on abebooks.  Also a nice book of Sherlock Holmes that I got last year but forgot to give him.

I think I'll get dd10 a set of Anne of Green Gables and maybe also Redwall.

Dd16 gets the Oxford Complete Shakespeare, Portable Romantic Poets, The Hawk and The Dove trilogy, and Pride and Prejudice. 

Not sure about dd20.  Maybe a book of George Herbert. She doesn't have Where The Wild Things Are or The Complete Winnie-the-Pooh yet.

I was trying to give someone a copy of The Power and the Glory last year, but couldn't find a nice copy.  I wonder who it was supposed to be for...

How do I sign up to be on this list?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oh, real quick! Has anyone done the ugly produce thing?

Now I dance! 💃

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

And if anyone has an opinion on the beaches here we get free oil changes in Corpus Christi so if you want to talk us into a different Beach there needs to be a $20 reason to do so.

Port Aransas is the best.  But I have found that instead of the hotels increasing price during peak season, they increase in price the closer you get to when you're going.  So you have to book early.   But being from the east coast, I like being on the ocean side vs bay side, so that's why I like what I like.

Edited by myblessings4
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Slache said:

How do I sign up to be on this list?

I'll have to adopt you.  What grade are you finishing this spring?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Port Aransas is the best.  But I have found that instead of the hotels increasing price during peak season, they increase in price the closer you get to when you're going.  So you have to book early.   But being from the east coast, I like being on the ocean side vs bay side, so that's why I like what I like.

We are not getting a hotel. In the future how far in advance should we book one? What do you mean bay side versus ocean side?

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I'll have to adopt you.  What grade are you finishing this spring?

27th.

• Haha 2

I found a set of Narinia - 1989 Collins hardcover in a slipcase for $24, coming from the UK.  It's a bit of a risk but I'm gonna give it a try.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Slache said:

We are not getting a hotel. In the future how far in advance should we book one? What do you mean bay side versus ocean side?

Look at the map i sent you

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

All of my poems are blue butterflies.

Robert Frost.💕💕💕💕

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lara85 said:

I'm brand new here. Hello, fellow classical educators!

This is clearly the most important thread, so I figured I'd start by posting here. 🙂

I have a 5 year old daughter. This morning, she donned a Gryffindor dress and robe, grabbed a wand, and proceeded to be the most focused homeschooling version of herself I've ever seen. Hermione gets stuff done. We took breaks for spell lessons here and there, during which I was schooled in how to properly pull off the "swish and flick" for Wingardium Leviosa (among other magical tasks). She was an excellent teacher. I hope Hermione shows up again.

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

You are clearly a most intelligent woman. You'll fit right in. 🙂

That’s what I was thinking, JJM!!😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Robert Frost.💕💕💕💕

I don't remember ever reading that poem before.  (Google to the rescue.)

• Like 2

So as of today, we have lost half the kids in children's choir for our Palm Sunday singing.  Half.  We were only told of one child who would be absent before this week.  It is so disappointing to go through all this work when the parents won't commit to have their kids available for ONE Sunday morning.  Two if you count Thanksgiving Sunday.

• Sad 6

Happy Wednesday.  I can't believe I actually had to read two pages to catch up.  It's been a while since that happened.   I slept in this morning, until 8:30am.  I went by the science center to do some cleaning and reorganizing and meet up with a couple of new students/new parent, then we had a game day that nobody but us and the family hosting showed up for.   It was a very nice Spring day so maybe everyone just wanted to be outside. 

Tomorrow I'm hosting a curriculum show/sale/swap at the science center so I have to get up a little earlier but it should be a fairly easy day.  Nothing Friday until D&D at 2pm but then I have a possible Kids night out event from 6pm to 9pm.  Not sure anyone will show, nobody is registered right now but I have a few that drop-in regularly.

I really need to be working on classes for next session.  Get a jump on them so I'm not finalizing the night before like  I usually do.  I'd like to at least have things done a week ahead.  I have an outline for classes but I like to go through finalizing closer so I can adjust based on the class size, any quirks of the kids, etc.   Some classes I plan activities based on weather and what I have available but those are mostly classes I don't need to do presentations for.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I love that one. One of my favorites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I hope Google never goes down. I know 3, maybe 4 things.

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I can't believe I actually had to read two pages to catch up.  It's been a while since that happened. 

There's a newb. We got excited. :ph34r:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

So as of today, we have lost half the kids in children's choir for our Palm Sunday singing.  Half.  We were only told of one child who would be absent before this week.  It is so disappointing to go through all this work when the parents won't commit to have their kids available for ONE Sunday morning.  Two if you count Thanksgiving Sunday.

Clearly I need to plan a trip eastward...image.png.8da93911181a7abe4b0d3ce17f1b3c20.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Clearly I need to plan a trip eastward...image.png.8da93911181a7abe4b0d3ce17f1b3c20.png

👍 Yay!  We could use a bit of duct tape for a couple of the kids as well.  

If we had known A month ago, we could have picked out a different song to sing, or at least arranged our current song differently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I really need to be working on classes for next session.  Get a jump on them so I'm not finalizing the night before like  I usually do.  I'd like to at least have things done a week ahead.  I have an outline for classes but I like to go through finalizing closer so I can adjust based on the class size, any quirks of the kids, etc.   Some classes I plan activities based on weather and what I have available but those are mostly classes I don't need to do presentations for.  

LOL. We prep the same way!

It snowed today. I mean, it was just little hard flakes the very cold and hard winds blew in, and it is nothing new to have snow in spring, but still. It's cold. And the few apricot trees that survived the last cold, I seriously doubt will survive this one. The winds blew our antenna down!

Crazy weather.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Slache said:

Why is h not a vowel?

I give up. Why?

I heard a rumor that there is going to be an ITT meet-up this summer.

That is all.

2 minutes ago, Ellie said:

That is all.

What!?! Where?  (Did someone buy that island?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I give up. Why?

Not a joke. Because you pronounce it with your mouth open so it should be a vowel. Not to mention the sh/th thing. It's a vowel. I read on wiki that it's a voiceless vowel which makes it a consonant WHICH MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE!

8 minutes ago, Ellie said:

That is all.

You're not supposed to tell them!

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

What!?! Where?  (Did someone buy that island?)

What? No. She's just being thilly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Oh, Susan!!!! That is so frustrating!!!! I remember trying to do the Christmas program at our old church and I handed out parts and a couple weeks before the program kids had soccer tournaments and what-have-you and I had to scramble to fill parts.  Commitment is not in vocabularies anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

You're not supposed to tell them!

What? No. She's just being thilly.

My bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellie said:

My bad.

Are you not going to answer the H thing? I need the answer to the H thing. This is legitimately bothering me.

We haven't had hula in awhile.

This is the Academy of Hawaiian Arts in Oakland, California. Sometimes there's a waiting list of up to a year to get in. The kumu, Mark Ho'omalu, is very controversial. Although his choreography looks "traditional" to me, apparently it offends some because they think it isn't traditional enough. Whatever. I think it's amazing, and I wish I were 20 years younger and lived in the Bay Area, 'cuz I'd be signing up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slache said:

Are you not going to answer the H thing? I need the answer to the H thing. This is legitimately bothering me.

That "explanation" doesn't explain anything to me. I refuse to call it a vowel. That's just stupid talk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ellie said:

That "explanation" doesn't explain anything to me. I refuse to call it a vowel. That's just stupid talk.

But the definition of a vowel is a letter that you pronounce with your mouth open which describes the h. I have been all over the interwebs and I am far from the first person to have this problem. There are decent arguments both ways.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

But the definition of a vowel is a letter that you pronounce with your mouth open which describes the h. I have been all over the interwebs and I am far from the first person to have this problem. There are decent arguments both ways.

But you say other consonants with your mouth open: c, k, d, l, s

Why must there be an argument about it? It says what it says.

I don't get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ellie said:

But you say other consonants with your mouth open: c, k, d, l, s

Why must there be an argument about it? It says what it says.

I don't get it.

There has to be a closing to form those sounds though.

Because I'm me and I get caught up in these things.

It's a vowel phonetically and a consonant phonologically. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

There has to be a closing to form those sounds though.

Because I'm me and I get caught up in these things.

It's a vowel phonetically and a consonant phonologically. 

What kind of "closing" is there on "l"?

And how does calling it a vowel change the way it's either pronounced or spelled? Also, how does it fit into our "rule" that vowels are preceded by "an"? We say an apple, but a horse.

Many people consider it a semi vowel. Things to consider:

1. It's pronounced with an open mouth (v)
  2. It's phonology regarding p, t, s (v)
  3. It's phonology regarding every other letter, including vowels (c)

I am going to bed, just wanted you to know where I was coming from.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ellie said:

What kind of "closing" is there on "l"?

And how does calling it a vowel change the way it's either pronounced or spelled? Also, how does it fit into our "rule" that vowels are preceded by "an"? We say an apple, but a horse.

It's not a full closing, but a closing. An harlot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's not a full closing, but a closing. An harlot.

I don't say "an harlot."

I do say "an historical" event, but that's about the only time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Why is h not a vowel?

If h was a vowel you would have to buy it on Wheel of Fortune.

#freeh

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, Junie said:

If h was a vowel you would have to buy it on Wheel of Fortune.

#freeh

THAT'S IT! Thank you!

I'm really going to bed now.

Probably 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I don't say "an harlot."

I do say "an historical" event, but that's about the only time.

Kjv does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

Kjv does. 

KJV says lots of things that we no longer say. I would not use it as the standard for modern speech.

• Like 2