Menu

Ignore this thread!

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Mine is whether my head hits the ceiling or knees hit the glove box. I will not sit in a car where my knees push against the glove box. A fender bender could leave me permanently crippled.

Ours just has to fit inside our 1950s garage without hitting the walls or the overhead door lift.  we've got about a 2 Inch clearance with the van right now. 

Assuming the garage is clean enough to put the van into. It hasn't been since August of 2018.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

OK. So, apparently Barbravan was in an accident shortly before  we got her and after the 150,000 miles we put on her she was totaled. We were given the same information from 2 sources. So we were $4,500 in the negative and the only way to recoup that was by paying too much for a used car and being in the same boat in 3 years, or getting a new one and forfeiting the rebates. I think we did well with low payments, great gas mileage and free maintenance/oil for 85,000 miles. 

42 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yay, Slache & Co.!!  What's it's name?

Adam. He's white with dark grey interior. He has all sorts of cool safety features.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The dojo owner asked dd16 if she would like a job; details still to be worked out, but I think it would be teaching two evenings a week.

This is her dream job, she is over the moon.

Maybe she can pay her own tournament fees going forward 😄

Edited by maize
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

If a person admitted on record to the police of doing Very Bad Things and then their lawyer got the trial delayed because they claim their miranda rights were not properly given by the police, so disqualifying all statements and evidence gathered, how likely is it that the accused person will not be convicted?  Does this happen in real life, or just on TV?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

If a person admitted on record to the police of doing Very Bad Things and then their lawyer got the trial delayed because they claim their miranda rights were not properly given by the police, so disqualifying all statements and evidence gathered, how likely is it that the accused person will not be convicted?  Does this happen in real life, or just on TV?

Is there any evidence to disprove his claim regarding his miranda rights?  I'm pretty sure miranda rights are king.  If they really didn't give them properly then all statements and evidence gathered as a result of the statement never happened.   

• Like 4

"Get up."
"The ground is lava."

He's tired. I think we were up past midnight. I can't believe we have a new car. I am anti-new car. I feel that they are frivolous for people in our situation. Hopefully we get a lot of years out of this boy. We don't have a car payment for 45 days which is cool.

SIL is due June 6th.

• Like 4

Morning!  It's humph day.   The past few days have been crazy with my brother here but things should be back to normal for the rest of this week.   

Dh is going to visit his mom this weekend so I should be able to get lots of stuff done.   I have to rearrange things at the science center again.  I bought too many new things for classes this year and need to find places to put them. 

• Like 5

I've been doing some training walks with dd getting ready for my virtual 5k.   Did a mile and a half yesterday after teaching all day and boy did my feet hurt this morning!   They've been hurting lately.  Not a ton when my PF is acting up but definitely more than usual and I was wondering if I needed new sneakers again.   But I just bought these in March.  They are Brooks and $$$.  I might just need to try some slip in cushions or something. 

• Like 4

I think if I did it on a day where I wasn't already on my feet all day at classes, I could just do the walk in one shot.  But I like the idea of getting into the habit of walking most days.  I'm on my feet all day but I don't get my heart rate up at all and I tend to just walk in a small area most of the time.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I've been doing some training walks with dd getting ready for my virtual 5k.   Did a mile and a half yesterday after teaching all day and boy did my feet hurt this morning!   They've been hurting lately.  Not a ton when my PF is acting up but definitely more than usual and I was wondering if I needed new sneakers again.   But I just bought these in March.  They are Brooks and $$$.  I might just need to try some slip in cushions or something. 

March was 6 months ago.  I think I read somewhere (probably an ad for running shoes, lol), that they can need replacing in 6 months if you wear them a lot.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Is there any evidence to disprove his claim regarding his miranda rights?  I'm pretty sure miranda rights are king.  If they really didn't give them properly then all statements and evidence gathered as a result of the statement never happened.   

I don't know about the evidence - I'm just going by a news report.  He's still in jail with a $6 mil. bail, but if he gets out, we will consider implementing some Serious Security Measures.

• Sad 3

My children are off on a planned geology trip--they are going to hunt geodes. I get to stay home and take care of chores and critters. And edit. After the absolute mess of the last month and a half, sitting down to edit for hours is going to be quite a change. 

ETA: Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!!

It’s supposed to be 100 degrees today. I just cannot even..... it’s autumn, people. Get. It. Right.

Dentist appointment for oldest DD, The younger two have piano lessons. I have a parent meeting. And then Awana. And I am teaching the lesson again. I always have to tweak the lesson before I teach it, and I just don’t have the time or mental energy today.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Slache said:

Approved. It will be less per month after gas. 2019 Corolla. I have never had a new car. It was never a good decision before. I feel weird.

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

You'll love having something reliable. 

I was raised to always buy used, too. But then, 15 years ago when we were looking for mini-vans the price difference between used and new Toyotas and Honda’s was so slight that we bought new. We didn’t regret it. And now, we’ve had the Sienna for 15 years. It’s got 150K miles on it and has only had one problem besides routine maintenance.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Susan, a motion to suppress an admission or confession is routine. Nowadays, it's almost malpractice for a defense attorney not to at least try.

Once filed, the motion may or may not succeed. Depending upon the circumstances, however, yes, it is possible that a suspect's entire confession may be suppressed. In that case, it cannot be used in evidence against him. Whether or not the case will proceed will then depend upon the quantity and quality of the remaining evidence against the defendant, if any. Conviction at trial, should there be one, will turn on the same, with the added wild card of the sanity of the members of the jury.

Shoot me a PM or a text if you want specifics.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

March was 6 months ago.  I think I read somewhere (probably an ad for running shoes, lol), that they can need replacing in 6 months if you wear them a lot.  

I don't think I can afford to replace these every 6 months.  I'm not actually running in them, just on my feet all day and starting to walk more.    I usually replace them every 12 - 18 months.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I was raised to always buy used, too. But then, 15 years ago when we were looking for mini-vans the price difference between used and new Toyotas and Honda’s was so slight that we bought new. We didn’t regret it. And now, we’ve had the Sienna for 15 years. It’s got 150K miles on it and has only had one problem besides routine maintenance.

Same thing here. I drove used and falling apart. I love my Toyota Tacoma. It's not new now, but we buy new, and haven't regretted it, honestly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Our van is hanging in there, but we are expecting to need a replacement at some point next year.  We'd prefer a "12-passenger something" for the 2-3 times a year we are driving a long way with everyone or camping/backpacking, but lower-priced used vehicles in this category are not always easy to come by.  Squishing all 8 of us into an 8-passenger would be technically doable, but after 2 full days on the road, we may all lose our sanity.  :blink: :biggrin:

• Like 6

Well, it's done. After a not-so-pleasant break-up with my former agent and agency a few weeks ago, I'm back on path to publication with a new agent and a new agency. I'm flat scared to death something terrible will go wrong, knock me down again, and kick me a couple of times for good measure. So much of traditional publishing seems to be getting knocked about, bloodied, and then staggering on in a forward direction. I'm happy with this new agent (she had previously offered on my story and is still enthusiastic about me and my work, and has always been supportive), but it's also nerve-wracking because I didn't expect to get thrown off course, tossed around, seasick, and then have to get right back in the boat so soon. Thought I'd be back on the docks for a while first. But here I am, and I'm hoping it all works out.

• Like 11

So, at the dealership yesterday I told him I wanted a hybrid and they didn't tell us that they had hybrids. I found out last night that they do so we are on our way back to exchange it. I am so pissed. I explained that he drives 250 miles a day and gas mileage is our top priority. I asked for a hybrid and he said my only option was a Prius which only has two doors. This is going to save us another $100+ a month in gas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

So, at the dealership yesterday I told him I wanted a hybrid and they didn't tell us that they had hybrids. I found out last night that they do so we are on our way back to exchange it. I am so pissed. I explained that he drives 250 miles a day and gas mileage is our top priority. I asked for a hybrid and he said my only option was a Prius which only has two doors. This is going to save us another $100+ a month in gas.

Stupid dealership!  I think they need some ENB Action!

• Like 3