• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Jean in Newcastle

• Susan in TN

• KrissiK

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Renai said:

I really should finish our taxes.

Did I mention that I got mine filed already? All by myself...

(Note: This is the first time in YEARS that we did not request an extension or use an accountant. So I'm bragging. Excessively. And will likely continue. At least until we get audited.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Did I mention that I got mine filed already? All by myself...

(Note: This is the first time in YEARS that we did not request an extension or use an accountant. So I'm bragging. Excessively. And will likely continue. At least until we get audited.)

You will NOT get audited. (hopefully)

This is the first time I've done taxes this late. They are usually done in February. I guess it makes a difference this year since we owe...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Update: my dad made it through surgery ok, but 10 days on is still have complications.  Some degree of this is brought on by his bullheadedness in not changing his diet/lifestyle and some degree of this is just other medical conditions flaring.  My mom is both worried and uber frustrated, iykwim.  My elderly relative made it out of the post-ob rehab hospital and is back home.  She is also being stubbornly bullheaded about a number of things and really, truly ought to be in assisted living and not at home. She is the same relative who almost canceled her shoulder replacement/reconstruction surgery even though her arm and shoulder were in many pieces because she thought she didn't need it. 🙄 She has similar stubbornness about an endless myriad of issues that need addressing.

I'm flying back to help deal with some of this and to say some goodbyes to other relatives in hospice 🙁

• Like 6
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

4. Padre Island Seashore also has beach access showers.  I highly recommend rinsing the kids off and scrubbing their little bodies down before the drive home. Not only does it cut down on sand, but it also greatly reduces bacteria issues.  For one of my kids, they got rashes sometimes from the ocean water. Once we started washing them with soap before we left the beach, the rashes stopped.

It's been [insert random number] of years since I was at Padre Island (I lived in Corpus for two years when I was young, and we camped at Padre a couple of times), but I remember that the sand was very, very fine and hard to get rid of/sweep out of the tent and car/wash off our bodies.

That is all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Renai said:

If H was a silent vowel, how could it act like a consonant? That makes absolutely no sense. I could see "silent consonant." It would make more sense to give it the same rule as Y - that is a consonant and sometimes acts as a vowel - instead of an all-or-nothing vowel vs consonant argument. 98% of the time, it makes a sound though. The other 2%, it is silent, but it is not acting as a vowel. We are pronouncing the vowel next to it, skipping the H altogether.

In Spanish, the H is actually silent. However, certain combinations of the H with some vowels make the W sound, which is why W is not a native letter to Spanish (it is adopted from English due to .... words). Due to "rules," the H is not dropped. This sound with H is most often found in the middle of words, and dropping H would leave a mess of awkward vowels stuck together.

This is not why the H is silent in some English words. It has more to do with origin of the word (like France or Greece), than whether it should be considered a vowel or consonant. Also, the change in pronunciation over the years has lead to whether the H is pronounced in some of these words. It really has nothing to do with an argument of vowel vs consonant.

What about when "j" is pronounced "h"?

Which also makes me wonder about "y" pronounced "j."

Mr. Ellie has gone away until Sunday. He's doing live sound for a Gideon Convention in Grapevine (Dallas). I think there might be some major goofing off going on in Round Rock for a couple of days...

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Ellie said:

What about when "j" is pronounced "h"?

Which also makes me wonder about "y" pronounced "j."

In Spanish? That's just it's phonetic system. Why does our /j/ sound the way it does? It's just our phonetic system. "Y" pronunciation is regional, but still has to do with its phonetic system. It sounds like our /y/ in many regions, but can also sound like the /s/ in treasure, or /j/ in judge. 

We are looking at it in terms of English, really. If we looked at it from Spanish to English, the English "j" is pronounced: [d}yei. So, it only seems to US that the Spanish /j/ is pronounced like /h/. It's how I teach it, too, because most of my students have an English background and that is the foundational sound system they are coming from.  So, yeah, /j/ sounds like our /h/.

12 hours ago, Slache said:

Are you not going to answer the H thing? I need the answer to the H thing. This is legitimately bothering me.

A vowel is a necessity to have a syllable. The only time I can think of when H does that job is the second syllable of rhythm. Another test: a vowel can be used to sing a note. So when it comes to Y, we could sing its long I, short I, and long E sounds, but not its consonant sound. We can sing all the sounds of A. And so on.

11 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I don't say an unless the h is silent.

Thank you!

"An historic ____" is correct in British English but not US English, because Americans pronounce the H. Likewise an [h]otel and an [h]ospital.  But we do say an hour, because it's not pronounced a HOW-er.

#teamH

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

I have ordered Some Books.  A couple that weren't on my list, but they were at such good prices on abebooks that I splurged.

What's your favorite Shel Silverstein book?

Can't help. We're more Jack Prelutzky types here.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I have ordered Some Books.  A couple that weren't on my list, but they were at such good prices on abebooks that I splurged.

None.  I despise all his poetry.  That man needed a therapist.    (Sorry, was that harsh?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
17 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We've only done Where the Sidewalk Ends but we loved it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I am back from Art. I did not art. My brain is completely submerged in words. All the words. I might hate words. I think I need chocolate. Somebody send Rocco with a bucket of fudge.

🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫🍫

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

A vowel is a necessity to have a syllable. The only time I can think of when H does that job is the second syllable of rhythm. Another test: a vowel can be used to sing a note. So when it comes to Y, we could sing its long I, short I, and long E sounds, but not its consonant sound. We can sing all the sounds of A. And so on.

Thank you!

"An historic ____" is correct in British English but not US English, because Americans pronounce the H. Likewise an [h]otel and an [h]ospital.  But we do say an hour, because it's not pronounced a HOW-er.

#teamH

Your first example is what I was thinking about. Yes!!

• Like 1

Just got back from my parents’ house. I want to cry. Aging sucks, it really does. Loss of independence, lots of frustration.....all having to do with a #$&@ flat tire, and how to get it fixed. My poor dad. Up against two women, who don’t think it is safe to drive into town in a mostly flat tire, but we can’t get the lug nuts off to change it. He doesn’t want to call a tow truck. “You just don’t trust my judgement!” And this is all in the heels of another argument they had about moving to the retirement village and he was trying to drag me into it. I said, “no, I am not getting involved, you guys have to figure this one out yourself.”

#iwanttocry

#agingsucks

#isaidsucks

• Sad 8

((Prairie))  &  ((Krissi))

I think I'll get dd20 the special anniversary edition Where the Sidewalk Ends / A Light in the Attic set. I have a B&N gift card to use.  We love Shel.  Just the right amount of dementedness.  She's also getting Winnie-the-Pooh, John Donne, and George Herbert to balance things out.    :laugh:

• Thanks 1

I rivered. It was peaceful, but windy. I'm waiting on someone to read my synopsis and tell me it's still garbage. I was going to use another word that Hemingway would use, but happy place. So I didn't. I had a great idea for my third book, but like all soap bubbles, it's probably going to pop when I try it out on paper. But it's a start.

• Like 8

We had tacos/burritos for dinner.  Dh took oldest dd out to look at cars.  She's looking for a new-to-her used car.   I should be working on classes but I feel very tired so instead I'm reading the prequel/other version of Hunger Games mentioned in another thread.  I like it so far, it's Haymitch's story.  

Tomorrow I don't have to do anything until 2pm D&D so I plan to do a lot of work on my classes then.  I also have all day Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 6

Last night's movie was The Hunt for Red October. 

Random fact: Alec Baldwin and my dc are 12th cousins.  I feel like I should invite him to Christmas or something.

#pilgrimancestors

AFAIK, we are not related to Sean Connery.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

We had tacos/burritos for dinner.  Dh took oldest dd out to look at cars.  She's looking for a new-to-her used car.   I should be working on classes but I feel very tired so instead I'm reading the prequel/other version of Hunger Games mentioned in another thread.  I like it so far, it's Haymitch's story.  

Tomorrow I don't have to do anything until 2pm D&D so I plan to do a lot of work on my classes then.  I also have all day Saturday and Sunday.

Wait, what prequel???!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Renai said:

Wait, what prequel???!

I think it's like fan-fiction, but really good.  (I haven't read this or the originals....)

So, go to this thread on the chat board and scroll down to a post by someone named "Wishes"  https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/686116-for-the-hunger-games-fans/?tab=comments#comment-8360805

• Like 3

I’m back from the Parents’ House. The Flat Tire Crisis has been taken care of. Dad managed to get enough air in the tire (it had a slow leak) so Mom could drive it to the tire place (Dad doesn’t drive anymore). I picked them up there and drove them home.

DS had a math placement test at Christian School. I am really curious how he did. I signed him up for pre-algebra anyhow.

The wind is picking up again. I hate wind. My allergies are going bonkers and I have a chill.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I rivered. It was peaceful, but windy. I'm waiting on someone to read my synopsis and tell me it's still garbage. I was going to use another word that Hemingway would use, but happy place. So I didn't. I had a great idea for my third book, but like all soap bubbles, it's probably going to pop when I try it out on paper. But it's a start.

Did you ever do anything with that animal story idea you had a while ago????

• Like 2
6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Nobody is taking this thread seriously.

Well, I went to the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I thought about poking Slache while I was there but decided to be antisocial instead.

that is all.

• Like 8

Good morning!

So rainy today!  Dd12's garden is doing well.  Her lettuce and flower seeds have all sprouted.  She goes out to encourage them every day.  Ds14 is running a low fever - probably the short-lived thing that dd10 had a couple weeks ago.  Imma go to the bank and bring dd12 to a store to find a swim suit.  Their youth group is supposed to have a swim party tomorrow night, though it will likely be too cold and rainy for swimming. 

Coffee!

• Like 7