Menu

Ignore this thread!

42 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Glad they were all okay and no damage to their house.

Apparently, a shed blew away, leaving a pile of stuff on the foundation. And the high winds broke some large tree branches, but not near the house or patio (they think the dog may have hid on the patio)! Some neighbors have some damage (a large tree branch landed on an RV, and three trees fell in another neighbor's yard). My parents are walking the neighborhood today to check out how are things. 

• Like 7

The kiddos and I just made our marshmallow and pretzel constellations after finishing the Apologia Astronomy book.

We used to do science on Friday because it is dd11 and dd8's favorite.  A few weeks ago I decided to put this on Monday because they can listen to the audiobook while I write everyone's assignment sheets for the week.  Monday mornings have been going much better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

Svengo, Lynn!  That's too early!

I got the older youngers into The Big City for their first day of summer orchestra.  Will have to pick them up at 3, drive a mile to the Other University for choir rehearsal (don't let me forget to bring them some dinner!) and then straight to Scouts from there.

OK.  Time to pay bills and tackle the list of misc. stuff.  Not going to start on the pantry today.

Coffee!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Writing, writing, writing, keep those keys a'clacking, and write! Story of my life this month. Got 20K to write this week. But the boys get to go on vacation in a few days, which should leave me a wide open space for long sessions with my stories.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

Ds just came in all muddy and asked for a pencil and paper. He says he is studying rocks because he is going to be a brain surgeon and he needs to know about them in case people get hit on the head with one. 😂

Smart kid!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Slache said:

My kids don't even do this.

Awix is like one day old in duck years.

DS is getting braces next month. We scheduled the appointment today after the ortho verified his teeth are ready. He's kind of excited--giving up popcorn isn't as bad as being able to pick your bracket colors is good, I guess. I am not looking forward to his having a sore mouth and losing his enthusiasm. Or having more appointments on my calendar. It could be a long two years.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

Do you guys know if Famous Men From Ancient Times is the same "thing" as Famous Men From Greece/Rome? It has a different author but I believe is a list of biographies in the same general theme.

Nope.

Ds14 LOVES all the "Famous Men" books.

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

You don't know or it's not? Has she read/does she love ancients?

Oops.  I don't know.  He read Greece, Rome, Middle Ages, and Renaissance/Reformation.  I think he really likes biographies. 

Biography Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started forty-eight months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

Yeah, it's superior to other trends
Friends start out scratching their head in confusion, perhaps
But then the laughter strikes and they gratefully tip their caps... 

This is the thread that never ends...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Oops.  I don't know.  He read Greece, Rome, Middle Ages, and Renaissance/Reformation.  I think he really likes biographies. 

So does John. I have a bunch woven through our geography study but wanted to start Famous Men in our history studies in 4th. 

• Like 2

I'm getting all kinds of work done tonight. Now, I'm going to write a letter to the mortgage company and throw some money at them and insist that they take off the PMI. (Hmmm, when I put it that way, it kind of sounds like a... a.... house of ill repute.🤣)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm listening to Jack Johnson, drinking herbal tea and burning a coconut cilantro candle. It's nice.

12 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I’m so sad I can’t think of anything smart alecky to say right now. I know I’ll think of like three things tomorrow in the shower. 

Hide yo kids. Hide yo wife. I'm eatin everybody up in here.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Seems we may all be allergic to this house. It had dogs, it smells like wet dogs, dog smell is in the vents, carpet, paint, under the appliances, etc.... No offense to you dog lovers should be inferred. Rashes, sneezings, scratchy throats, LOTS of tissues. 

I think dh's work likes to torture us with tantalizing 'possible' offers to move to Scotland. The latest: they want to start a department like what my dh does in the Dumferline office some time, maybe. His name is the top choice. I think I would rather they just kept that info to themselves until they are ready to actually make an expat offer! Yeah, we don;t get excited anymore. More like, "Oh really? That's nice."

Oh boy, that would be so frustrating!  

• Like 1

Good morning!

I slept really well last night.  Kids orchestra again today.  Choir uniform shirts need to go to the cleaners today.  We have ordered some things from Amazon that need to be returned.  It's only going to get up into the high 70's today!  Unbelieveably cool for mid-June!

Coffee!

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Tuesday!

I ended up having a pretty good day yesterday.  I got bloodwork done so that I can see if I'm anemic.

Dinner ended up pretty good (even though I would have rather played MarioKart).  Steak, paella/yellow rice, peas, fresh cherries.

Ds18 and I watched the NBA playoffs.  It was a really good game.  

And I slept well.  Except I had a nightmare about doughnuts and pie.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Good morning!  I thought I wasn't going to sleep well because dh was snoring before I could go to sleep.  But I slept all night!

I need to start the dishwasher and laundry, and mix taco seasoning before we leave for work.  We will clean some after work.  Friends will be here by the weekend, but don't know yet which day.

I want a weight lifting bench, bar, and stuff in my garage.  My friend says dumbbells will be better.  Which should I do?  I don't want to spend a lot, but my goal this summer is start lifting, and I don't want to run to the gym or school field house every day.  Dh is helping me.

I agree with your friend.  I wouldn't want to use a bench without a spotter.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Dh is my spotter.

Ok.  I was imagining you wanting to do this through the day while he was at work.  

I've never used a bench (and I never will -- my arthritis makes my hands too weak) so I really have no other advice.

• Like 1

Good Morning!   My usually short Tuesday won't be quite as short because I have Tech Tuesday tonight.  Just one more after this one and I'm done with that for the year.   End of this week, I'm done with classes for the year.  

I stopped the IF the other day and also stopped the bone broth just because it was more work in the morning and I was mainly using it so I could not eat breakfast (otherwise my tea upsets my stomach).   Well, the past couple days I've been waking up super achy again.  Now I'm wondering if the bone broth was really helping with that.  So I'm back to taking that in my morning tea.  It's not many calories so I'm okay taking it even if I'm also eating breakfast.

I think I've finally convinced dh that getting a kickboxing bag for the classroom won't take up too much room.  I LOVE kick-boxing, it's my favorite exercise.  But it's really hard to find the time to get to classes around here and the bag at the Y gym is super light (even for me and I don't need that heavy).  So I"ve been wanting to get one for the past few months.  The actual class room at the science center has space, I only use slightly more than 1/2 of it for teaching.  It's about 14 x 24 with doors in the middle of both walls going to/from the lobby and the hall to the kitchen/bathroom.   I use the larger "half" to teach, it's where my screen is.  The other half has bookcases, my green screen (only used 4-5 times a year, it's on a roller shade), and is really only used for classes that are not done at a table, like robotics or when we built marble roller coasters.   The bag will be a free standing one that can be moved if necessary.

I keep telling dh that they always say to find an exercise you love, and that is what I love.  Plus I can use it at the end of the day after classes without having to go anywhere or do anything except maybe change out of my jeans.  

• Like 7