• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

5 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, I gotta find out where that chirping is coming from. It’s driving me crazy.

No luck. I went out in the backyard and found a pair of phoebe birds making a bunch of racket, but that’s not where the chirping is coming from. Sigh. I guess I will fold laundry instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

No luck. I went out in the backyard and found a pair of phoebe birds making a bunch of racket, but that’s not where the chirping is coming from. Sigh. I guess I will fold laundry instead.

Our chirping is coming from the roof...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, KrissiK said:

That’s where it sounds like ours is coming from. I looked up there, but couldn’t see anything. I guess the mama bird did a good job hiding it.

There might be a loose something on the underside where they can squeeze any there. It's not a very big hole where ours are. Actually, there are 3 different families in our roof. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have robins in the rhododendron bush right outside ds's window.  It overlooks the driveway and whenever we come in or out, mommy and/or daddy try to lure us away from the tree.  We have robins in one of the rhododendrons every year.  I think this is the first time they're in ds's bush, usually they are in the one outside dd's window.

We also have blue birds nesting in one of our bird houses.  They also come every year.  We also usually have house wrens in another of our bird houses.

I'm tired.  Today was such a long day.  Tomorrow's not bad at the science center - just two classes and I'm making slime in both.  I will only do slime once a year and we do three different recipes and compare stickiness, viscosity, firmness, and stretchiness for each one to decide which is the best.    I do have my stem coordinator position tomorrow night but we are doing fluorescence which is something I've done a million times by now so I pretty much could do it in my sleep.

• Like 4

The Scout Girls had their court of honor.  Lots of cheers for the girl who earned the first 4 ranks since February.  She's in high school, and so is on a tight schedule to earn her Eagle rank before she ages out of the program.  I talked to Some People.  And now must recover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have had a migraine all day today.  And I survived a recorder concert with said migraine.

I think I deserve a courage award.  There should be such a thing as Mom Scout badges or something.

I agree! I was dreading violin lesson today because of aforementioned headache...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Junie said:

I have had a migraine all day today.  And I survived a recorder concert with said migraine.

I think I deserve a courage award.  There should be such a thing as Mom Scout badges or something.

1 minute ago, Renai said:

I agree! I was dreading violin lesson today because of aforementioned headache...

This is why we need the Island.

• Like 7

Good morning!

St. Junie of the Recorder Concert!

I dreamed last night that we went to dh's family reunion at the house he grew up in, which was a typical small ranch-style house, but it had 9 stories and a metal spiral staircase.  And Gymnast was there playing the most beautiful song on her violin.  

A squirrel stole an unripe strawberry yesterday and sat right in front of me and the back window to nibble it.  Little smart-aleck!

I have to run to a grocery store this morning to pick up a couple things for the concert reception tonight.  The girls are going to make lemon poundcake mini (muffin) cakes.  Kids' orchestra concert tonight.

Dd20 has her last finals today and I will go pick her up from the university tomorrow.  She'll only be home 2 weeks before she goes back to work there for the summer.  Sigh.

Coffee!

• Like 6

I had a severe backache last night. But I had medicine! So I am mostly recovered this morning. Took the boys to the river for fishing and boating yesterday, and they are a little extra snapping turtle this morning because I refuse to go anywhere today until writers' meeting tonight. Turtle soup is a thing. I can certainly find plenty for them to "do". 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!

No COFFEE!!!!~D yet. I’m still in bed. I’m trying to sleep in a little more and get my rest when I can. This stupid UTI has stalled and isn’t‘t Leaving like I would like. I should try to see my GP later this week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Our library has a 100 book hold limit. Back in the very old days when my kids were little and I was basically writing my own version of TOG, I would max out four library cards on holds. I would pick them up in a rolling suitcase. I had a shelf all to myself at the library. I was frequently pointed out to new staff during orientation. Now I am a slacker and only get a few books at a time. I miss the old days. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slache said:

We're having river chicken for dinner because Alex hates fish.

Related to Chicken of the Sea?

I think I can get 25 or 30 books on my library card.  I can reserve up to 14 at a time online.

Looked it up.  30 items at a time, 20 holds at a time. 20 cent fine per day late.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1

Speaking of books, it's story time!  Right now we're reading through a collection of fairy tales called Tales of Wonder, edited by Brian Philips.  It's the first edition and could've used a bit more proof reading for typos.  It has some discussion questions along with each story, some of which are a bit silly if your child has ever heard the story before, and generally not as thoughtful as I expected.  We are enjoying it anyway.

• Like 2

I'm refining next year. :cool:

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Related to Chicken of the Sea?

I think I can get 25 or 30 books on my library card.  I can reserve up to 14 at a time online.

Looked it up.  30 items at a time, 20 holds at a time. 20 cent fine per day late.

Catfish. He likes tuna, or as he calls it "fish burgers".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I dreamed last night that we went to dh's family reunion at the house he grew up in, which was a typical small ranch-style house, but it had 9 stories and a metal spiral staircase.  And Gymnast was there playing the most beautiful song on her violin.  

I told Gymnast about the dream and she got happy and said maybe it will happen. "Maybe God is calling me to play for her!" 🙂

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our library has a 100 book hold limit. Back in the very old days when my kids were little and I was basically writing my own version of TOG, I would max out four library cards on holds. I would pick them up in a rolling suitcase. I had a shelf all to myself at the library. I was frequently pointed out to new staff during orientation. Now I am a slacker and only get a few books at a time. I miss the old days. 

I remember those days, except we had a laundry basket. I haven't checked out half as many books as I used to... 😞 

• Like 5

I am so burned out after this year, more from dealing with kids enrolled in school and keeping up with schedules and homework and all the driving than anything else.

Going back to homeschooling everyone next year though the oldest two may still have some outside classes and we will still do extracurricular stuff.

ETA it's a kick burnout to the curb Booyah!

Edited by maize
  • Like 9

19 hours ago, Junie said:

Junie, I am so sorry you suffer from this awful neuro issue too.  I was diagnosed as a child and went chronic 9 years ago.  I keep a set of ear plugs attached to my purse for occasions like this.  They are the sort that dampen noise, but don't silence it.  They would be perfect to take the edge of the noise at a recorder concert.  They are called Downbeats and I bought them on Amazon.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, JCL said:

Junie, I am so sorry you suffer from this awful neuro issue too.  I was diagnosed as a child and went chronic 9 years ago.  I keep a set of ear plugs attached to my purse for occasions like this.  They are the sort that dampen noise, but don't silence it.  They would be perfect to take the edge of the noise at a recorder concert.  They are called Downbeats and I bought them on Amazon.

My headaches are much better this year.  Yesterday's was one of the worst ones I've had in a while.

I have recently discovered that dampening noise in a lot of cases actually makes my headache worse.  My brain fights to figure out what is being said or what a certain noise is that I can almost hear.  If someone is playing music in the house or is having a whispered conversation, my brain tries to figure it out.  I would actually prefer for them to be loud enough to actually hear what song they are playing or what they are talking about.  Silence is golden, but muffled noises are torture.  😞

I'm sorry that you have migraines, too.  They are miserable.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Renai said:

I told Gymnast about the dream and she got happy and said maybe it will happen. "Maybe God is calling me to play for her!" 🙂

Yes!  We could have a Twinkle jam session! 

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

DS has survived the AP Calc exam.  🎉🎉🎉   We have also had our last piano lessons of the school year!  🎉

Yay!  And congratulations!

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I had chips and salsa for lunch.

Yum!  Have you seen the GP yet?

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes!  We could have a Twinkle jam session! 

Yay!  And congratulations!

Yum!  Have you seen the GP yet?

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Uh...... no. (Insert running away guy)

But I had some chocolate chips.

You’re in trouble - not going in yet!

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I have been feeling better as the day is going on.

Here, have some lemon bars. They are fresh.

Never mind - all is forgiven!  Yummy!

(and glad you’re feeling better!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What?  3 hours?  People are not taking this thread seriously!

The kids' concert went well.  Sister's surgery went well - she'll be in the hospital at least the rest of the week.  I talked to Some People before and after the concert.  Now I must recover.

In other news, I ate a mint leaf.

• Like 4