Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 192.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Slache

    24965

  • Jean in Newcastle

    17422

  • Susan in TN

    17056

  • KrissiK

    15197

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, saying "ignore this thread" to this group is like saying "don't push the big red button!" 

Homeschoolers.     They always think the rules don't apply to them.

Coming out of my long time lurking because I couldn't ignore this thread..  :leaving:

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Ellie edpo:  Thinking of using R&S grammar for my 6th grader next year, he's had some grammar, should I start him in the 5th grade book?

Qoestion for my low carb ladies, what do you eat, that's quick for breakfast?  I love oatmeal and pancakes, I don't care for eggs, unless they are sunny side up and I loathe bacon unless it's turkey bacon, not really a sausage eater.

Are you wanting *only* grammar? Then I wouldn't recommend R&S's English, as it is a complete, comprehensive grammar *and* composition. If you want *only* grammar, then Easy Grammar, or, if you must have diagramming, Analytical Grammar.

For a quick breakfast: leftover pot roast, cube steak sauteed in butter (and a sunny-side-up egg on top), maybe something new with eggs, like eggs and cheese and tomatoes scrambled together.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mama25angels said:

(((Junie)))

Ellie edpo:  Thinking of using R&S grammar for my 6th grader next year, he's had some grammar, should I start him in the 5th grade book?

Qoestion for my low carb ladies, what do you eat, that's quick for breakfast?  I love oatmeal and pancakes, I don't care for eggs, unless they are sunny side up and I loathe bacon unless it's turkey bacon, not really a sausage eater.

R&S 6 is really hard.  I would start with 5.  My kids actually do book 6 in 6th grade (they start with book 3 in 3rd grade) and then AGAIN in 7th grade.  (If you don't want to include writing, just have them skip those lessons.)

Full fat plain Greek yogurt is a "lowish" carb option for breakfast.  Maybe with some stevia and berries.  Berries, cheese, and turkey bacon make a nice breakfast.  

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Junie---a lot of people with Parkinson's have a worsening of disease after surgery. It's a known issue that affects 30-50% of patients (depending on which study you follow).  If you want some more reading:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/movement-disorders/parkinson-disease-anesthesia-cautions-preparation/article/742947/

https://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/hospital-dangers-for-patients-with-parkinsons/

http://pdcenter.neurology.ucsf.edu/patients-guide/precautions-regarding-hospitalization

In my relative's case, there were also some mini-strokes that happened immediately post-op that weren't picked up on right away.

 

I'm sorry things aren't going well for your dad.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been digging into projects here trying to get a grasp on life again.  I finally emptied the Box of Doom last week. (The Box of Doom contained all of the important papers that I needed to file away or deal with in some manner. I still need to deal with a stack of issues, but I'm making real and significant progress.)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have been digging into projects here trying to get a grasp on life again.  I finally emptied the Box of Doom last week. (The Box of Doom contained all of the important papers that I needed to file away or deal with in some manner. I still need to deal with a stack of issues, but I'm making real and significant progress.)

Oooh, I need a box of doom!  I feel like I have a stack here, a stack there, that other stack over there.....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have been digging into projects here trying to get a grasp on life again.  I finally emptied the Box of Doom last week. (The Box of Doom contained all of the important papers that I needed to file away or deal with in some manner. I still need to deal with a stack of issues, but I'm making real and significant progress.)

Oooh, I need a box of doom!  I feel like I have a stack here, a stack there, that other stack over there.....

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So we can't find dd16's S.S. card.  We need the actual card to apply for a passport.  But to get a replacement card for her, we need pretty much any form of legal identification EXCEPT a birth certificate, which is all we have.  I am hoping she can pass the driver's permit test soon, because I think we could use that for an ID.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Junie---a lot of people with Parkinson's have a worsening of disease after surgery. It's a known issue that affects 30-50% of patients (depending on which study you follow).  If you want some more reading:

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/movement-disorders/parkinson-disease-anesthesia-cautions-preparation/article/742947/

https://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/hospital-dangers-for-patients-with-parkinsons/

http://pdcenter.neurology.ucsf.edu/patients-guide/precautions-regarding-hospitalization

In my relative's case, there were also some mini-strokes that happened immediately post-op that weren't picked up on right away.

 

I'm sorry things aren't going well for your dad.

 

Thanks for the links.

His disease has actually been worsening rapidly for several months.  He was falling several times a day, which eventually led to head injury, which led to surgery.

He left the hospital I think last weekend and went to a rehab facility.  He was only there a few days before he ended up back in the hospital with pneumonia and severe dehydration.  My mom said that the staff at the rehab facility was very understaffed.  She decided not to put him back in rehab and instead bring him home.

We discussed the benefits of rehab (especially regaining the ability to walk).  We discussed the fact that it was probably safer for him to not be able to walk because he doesn't understand his limitations -- it was an ongoing problem that he would try to walk somewhere, leave his walker for "just a second", and then fall.

Mom and Dad's 40th wedding anniversary is next month.  My mom was recently talking to him about celebrating their 50th anniversary together.  She is definitely in denial, although I think in the past week she is starting -- just starting -- to see the situation realistically.

The prayers and good thoughts from all of the ITT are very appreciated.  Thank you.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only a Closet of Doom, and maybe a Drawer of Doom, according to my children. I call it the junk drawer. 

Been writing this morning and framing! My folks brought me a whole pile of frames from the thrift stores for the show in May, and I've been going through my stock and picking representative pieces of what I can draw and paint. Feels a whole lot more real with paintings in frames!  Which means I really do have to tackle the Closet of Doom and turn it into my art supply. Who needs clothes in there after all, right? I can do with less clothes and more paint! 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, yesterday, a woman wearing only her socks (in the snow) joined us at the school bus stop.  She tried to get onto the school bus, and when the bus drove away, started crying. I finally found out where she belonged, returned her to her group home, and called the supervisor for the group home and left a message.  No response.

I think from here on out I'm going to have to call the police non-emergency line. The group home opened a week ago and we've already had multiple issues. People are wandering out into a busy five lane road. 😞  They clearly need to be better staffed or have a locked facility. Someone is going to end up getting hit by a car if nothing changes. 

  • Sad 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mama25angels said:

(((Junie)))

Ellie edpo:  Thinking of using R&S grammar for my 6th grader next year, he's had some grammar, should I start him in the 5th grade book?

Qoestion for my low carb ladies, what do you eat, that's quick for breakfast?  I love oatmeal and pancakes, I don't care for eggs, unless they are sunny side up and I loathe bacon unless it's turkey bacon, not really a sausage eater.

 Analytical Grammar.

I make a low-carb hot cereal with flax, hemp seeds, and chia (with lots of variations). Unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice. Let me know if you want details. 🙂

4 hours ago, lanalouwho said:

Good morning! we have a homeschool thingy at the zoo today. We are going to learn about poop. 

 

Oh, honey, I could've helped you with that...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slache said:

Update: They will assign Matt his last day. No telling if it will be before or after what he gave. His boss said to retract his resignation and just keep calling in sick until he gets fired. :laugh:

Does this mean he can file for unemployment?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How come nobody gave me the memo about not having to obey stop signs anymore?   There should have been a memo.  Three times in the past week or so I've almost been hit by people ignoring stop signs and not even looking in my direction to check.  Seriously, if you are going to completely ignore a stop sign, at least look to see that nobody is coming.  Most stop signs are there for a reason.

I'm here to ignore the massive massive piles of dishes I should be washing.  I'm at the science center and I did really messy activities for two classes today, plus there's still a little bit to clean up from 4-H last night.  I don't wanna do them.   Which emoji is the pouting face?  I don't need a sad face, or a mad face.  I'm just pouting.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

 

I make a low-carb hot cereal with flax, hemp seeds, and chia (with lots of variations). Unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice. Let me know if you want details. 🙂


I need a good recipe. I found a recipe online for a "Keto oatmeal" and it had cauliflower in it. I gagged through 2 bites and tossed it. 🤢

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slache said:

Update: They will assign Matt his last day. No telling if it will be before or after what he gave. His boss said to retract his resignation and just keep calling in sick until he gets fired. :laugh:

Seriously?? What kind of psycho place does he work at?? Is Count Olaf his boss?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Seriously?? What kind of psycho place does he work at?? Is Count Olaf his boss?

Apparently there are certain days you can't resign because of how the pay works out. They're going to have a meeting to discuss his last day, but the email just said that the day would be assigned to him so it all sounded very strange until his manager talked to him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Slache said:

Something about how he'd only be working 3 (?) days into that pay period and you're not allowed to do that. They'll probably cut him early which is not in our budget!

'cuz doing all that math for 3 days pay is so hard.  They may need to consult Random Starbucks Algebra Lady on that one.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

'cuz doing all that math for 3 days pay is so hard.  They may need to consult Random Starbucks Algebra Lady on that one.

Yeah, I don't get it. I'm wondering if it's not true and that's just what they're saying. I think they plan to lay him off to keep up the numbers of people not quitting. According to them no one has quit the facility since it opened, but he can name a number of people that have quit. One case in particular he remembers someone sitting down with their boss and giving him his two weeks notice and he was walked out immediately. That's why he sent his resignation to HR.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's crazy. I'm glad he submitted his resignation in writing. At least he has that much to prove he did right.

I do not have a box of doom, nor do I have a schoolroom of doom. My entire house feels doomish, especially after watching the Marie Kondo show on Netflix.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a closet of doom, but now it's mostly packed in in the living room.

I recently discovered Dry bar comedy. Have you heard of it? It's family-friendly and available on Alexa.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Southern Ivy said:


I need a good recipe. I found a recipe online for a "Keto oatmeal" and it had cauliflower in it. I gagged through 2 bites and tossed it. 🤢

I cannot like this. I love cauliflower, but who puts cauliflower in oatmeal?

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

How come nobody gave me the memo about not having to obey stop signs anymore?   There should have been a memo.  Three times in the past week or so I've almost been hit by people ignoring stop signs and not even looking in my direction to check.  Seriously, if you are going to completely ignore a stop sign, at least look to see that nobody is coming.  Most stop signs are there for a reason.

I'm here to ignore the massive massive piles of dishes I should be washing.  I'm at the science center and I did really messy activities for two classes today, plus there's still a little bit to clean up from 4-H last night.  I don't wanna do them.   Which emoji is the pouting face?  I don't need a sad face, or a mad face.  I'm just pouting.

Are you driving in California????? Nobody obeys stop signs here. In the past couple of years I have seen more people just blow through stop signs.  Now days, I just don't expect anyone to obey any traffic rules whatsoever. It is ultra-defensive driving.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...